What's for dinner?

Filet Mignon, salmon steaks, asparagus and other stuff...and wine.

A group of us ... off to a large and noisy Chinese restaurant for their excellent Yum Cha lunch, and then back to my place for traditional Christmas pudding and several varieties of wine from France, Italy, and New Zealand. :)

We do Christmas dinner tonight and I am currently eating it.
Since it's just me and my kids, and my son's girlfriend, we don't have much.
Ham, potato salad, mashed potatoes w/gravy, cresent rolls, dressing, green bean casserole.
Dessert is chocolate cream pie, pecan pie, and/or jello! :D

Next week we'll make cookies. Not sure what kinds yet.

Last night was homemade Fried chicken with curry gravy, homemade coleslaw: cabbage, carrots, raisins and plain white rice.

Washed down with homemade iced tea.

If a sudden blizzard knocks out power, the family will carry bottles of wine to the local Chinese restaurant and pig out on their cooking, as we did some years back. That was a memorable event.

Otherwise, we'll provide lascivious turkey meatballs, my signature veggies sautéed in tangy oils, and exotic macaroons, for the get-together at the in-laws' McMansion. Crystal will sparkle. Snacks will flow. Dietary restrictions will be observed: label snacks and dishes for the lactose-intolerant, the garlic- and mushroom-adverse, the no-red-meat-er, etc. It's a dietary maze.

That's the XMas Eve dinner. Tonight portends salmon burgers and kale salad.

The only exception I've ever noticed at Christmas or Thanksgiving was one relatives significant other who was allergic to alcohol. Oh and once and a while we get a vegetarian.

Roasted venison loin, green beans and mashed potatoes then a myriad of cookies.

That sounds so good, but no Turkey?

Christmas Eve dinner will be a traditional white fish fillet, baked, with baked french fries and a green salad. Debating also offering crab rangoon and veggie eggrolls or saving them for new years. Dessert will be some eggnog and a Polish nut roll called buchta.

That's a really nice meal! Did you serve the crab rangoon, and if so was it homemade?

Last edited:
I'll be fighting the cold and working on the smoker today.

Pulled pork and babybacks.

Around now, 'dinner' is elusive. Our infirmities and medication schedules have us awake and hungry at odd and asynchronous times. Dinner is impromptu. What, more tamales?

Christmas dinner was Turkey, and I found the Cranberry sauce (hooray!)
Tonight was Chicken Supreme.

That sounds so good, but no Turkey?

That's a really nice meal! Did you serve the crab rangoon, and if so was it homemade?

No, no turkey on Christmas. We did that a month previously for Thanksgiving. I did serve the crab rangoon but not the eggrolls. Unfortunately, reheated from frozen, bought at the market.

Tonight is simply salads and a cheese pizza.

Dinner tonight was leftovers from dinner yesterday, so Bubble and Squeak, with Cumberland sausages, fried duck eggs, local unsmoked back bacon, fried green tomatoes, and sauteed boiled baby potatoes, and dessert was Christmas pudding fried with chopped apples and dried apricots in the last of the brandy butter, flamed with Calvados, and spooned hot over vanilla ice cream

Last night was instant ramen soup with jumbo shrimp, onions, carrots and mushrooms.

Dinner was salads with shrimp baked in wine and butter then puff pastry filled with brie and fig jam for dessert. New Year's Eve tradition.

Last night was the usual New Year's Eve goodies. Toasted ravioli, sweet/spicy meatballs, mozzarella sticks. Also sausage, crackers and cheese.

Haven't eaten today, woke up in a panic attack. I think knowing that it's a new year and I somehow have to survive for 365 more days is really overwhelming.
So this morning I went back to bed.
But I guess I'll ask the kids what they want for dinner tonight when I see them.

Haven't eaten today, woke up in a panic attack. I think knowing that it's a new year and I somehow have to survive for 365 more days is really overwhelming.

Only one day at a time, and sometimes one hour at a time. :rose:

We had venison loin cooked with butter, mushrooms, and a little cranberry wine. Also, yellow rice cooked from packet and baby carrots with honey butter.

Last night was some good Chinese takeout: Egg foo young, shrimp fried rice, fried wings, Cantonese chow mein and spare ribs.

Last night was some good Chinese takeout: Egg foo young, shrimp fried rice, fried wings, Cantonese chow mein and spare ribs.

Yum! I might stop of and get some too. After ten days of mostly Italian I'm craving some chinese takeout.

Oooh are you in Italy?

No, we were with my Significant Other's family for xmas and new year and they're Italian-American and it was Italian food all the way. I've been dying for Chinese. One dim sum meal in 10 days - I have steamed rice withdrawal symptoms. I think of steamed rice and I'm like pavlovs dogs. I'm calling in my order now! Lots of rice!

No, we were with my Significant Other's family for xmas and new year and they're Italian-American and it was Italian food all the way. I've been dying for Chinese. One dim sum meal in 10 days - I have steamed rice withdrawal symptoms. I think of steamed rice and I'm like pavlovs dogs. I'm calling in my order now! Lots of rice!

I have a small team of Chinese ladies who work for me in the Sydney suburb of Eastwood - the centre of Sydney's Chinese community. Every month or two I visit and take half the team to Yum Cha - the other half next time. They, who are mainly Mandarin speakers, immigrants from Northern China call it Yum Cha, whereas some friends from Guandong (southerners) call it Dim sum. I asked my ladies what the difference was, but as Northerners they said Yum Cha/Dim Sum was a southern tradition and they were uncertain. These outings are great fun - the ladies like to chat - loudly, and especially to boast about the achievements of their children and grandchildren.

Another small thing I have noticed is that our (quite elderly) Guandong friends tap the table lightly to say thanks/respect when tea is poured. The Northerners don't.

The Mandarin speakers and the Cantonese cheerfully and mutually contend that the 'other group' are complete barbarians, but it doesn't seem to stop them becoming friends.

I have a small team of Chinese ladies who work for me in the Sydney suburb of Eastwood - the centre of Sydney's Chinese community. Every month or two I visit and take half the team to Yum Cha - the other half next time. They, who are mainly Mandarin speakers, immigrants from Northern China call it Yum Cha, whereas some friends from Guandong (southerners) call it Dim sum. I asked my ladies what the difference was, but as Northerners they said Yum Cha/Dim Sum was a southern tradition and they were uncertain. These outings are great fun - the ladies like to chat - loudly, and especially to boast about the achievements of their children and grandchildren.

Another small thing I have noticed is that our (quite elderly) Guandong friends tap the table lightly to say thanks/respect when tea is poured. The Northerners don't.

The Mandarin speakers and the Cantonese cheerfully and mutually contend that the 'other group' are complete barbarians, but it doesn't seem to stop them becoming friends.

There's a lot of differences between north and south. Yum cha = "drink tea" ( cha = tea and cha is where the English "cuppa char" comes from). Dim sum = little pieces. I think yum cha is the older Cantonese name. The table tapping thing is old Chinese, you use it to say thanks for pouring tea and only for tea. One of the old empowers was out in disguise with some courtiers and he poured tea. Traditionally you would kowtow or prostrate yourself to the emporer but he was in disguise. A clever couturier tapped the table with two fingers, symbolizing the kowtow and thus a tradition was born that's lasted centuries. Mainland china lost a lot of these traditions under the communists but they survived in Hong Kong and Taiwan and with overseas Chinese.

My Chinese side is from canton (Guangdong) so of course northern Chinese are almost barbarians. Lol

Last edited:
We're de-toxing after pigging-out shamelessly over the Christmas season, and as there's more to come, for almost a month (until Candlemas, Feb 2nd and the end of the Christmas season here) we've set all the roasted, fried, steamed or baked stuff aside for now, and opted for an Asian, specifically Burmese meal day.

My hubby is making something called 'Ono Kaukswé', a spicy, chunky, chicken, coconut, and coriander soup, with prawn-paste as the background taste, served over rice sticks, topped with fried peanuts and finely shredded crispy fried onions and garlic, lightly dusted with crushed roasted red chillies, and served hot.

Side dishes of sliced boiled deggs sprinkled with chilli flakes, chopped coriander (Cilantro, to my compatriots), finely sliced fresh onions, and a spoon of red chilli flakes in sesame oil with a dash of fish sauce, freshly-squeezed lime juice, and palm sugar stirred into each bowl finishes it off; it's not for the timid or those with a low tolerance for chilli heat, but after the rich and complicated food over Christmas and the New Year it's a welcome change. It's simple food, but I believe it would stack up against the more famous South-East Asian cuisines and acquit itself well.

Last edited:
Last night was breaded veal with pasta Alfredo.

Last night was......
Hot and Sour Soup
Yang Chow Fried Rice
Steamed Rice
Sweet and Sour Pork Stir Fry with Pineapple
Honey Black Pepper Chicken Wings
General Tao Chicken
Shanghai Noodle with Pork and Shrimp
Chilli Shrimp
Snow Peas with Mushrooms
Diced vegetables with almonds and cashew

Lunch today is of course..... :eek: all the leftovers coz that was way to much for two and I went crazy with the chinese takeout menu .... crazy I tell you.

Last night was......
Hot and Sour Soup
Yang Chow Fried Rice
Steamed Rice
Sweet and Sour Pork Stir Fry with Pineapple
Honey Black Pepper Chicken Wings
General Tao Chicken
Shanghai Noodle with Pork and Shrimp
Chilli Shrimp
Snow Peas with Mushrooms
Diced vegetables with almonds and cashew

Lunch today is of course..... :eek: all the leftovers coz that was way to much for two and I went crazy with the chinese takeout menu .... crazy I tell you.

Yes you did, that looks like a $100+ order, wow!

Back