Songs for a scene I am working on

julia_in_nj2007

Experienced
Joined
Dec 24, 2016
Posts
54
Hi! I need some help with ideas of songs for a story I am working on in an office setting.

The boss is just shy of 60. Golf playing CNBC watcher type. He is a no-nonsense, stern boss not afraid to scream at his underlings.

It is after work. And, as become custom, the 22-year-old just out of college shoes up to his door. "Excuse me, Sir. But what may I do to pleasure you today?"

What is the music he has her put on the stereo before he steers her to her knees or bends her over the big desk?

(Even better - she is a hipster/indie type. I like the symbolism of her realizing her place in the workplace and shedding her past to become an obedient corporate plaything.
 
You asked this elsewhere too, right? I suggested Pink Floyd shit. Let's expand that: a mixtape of songs mentioning money. Donna Summer and Pink Floyd and the Beatles, and MONEY HONEY, and 10 cc's ART FOR ART'S SAKE, MONEY FOR GOD'S SAKE, and GREENBACK DOLLAR (I got Hoyt Axton to sing that on request at a show), et cetera.

PS: Might throw in 9 TO 5 too.
 
Last edited:
Hi! I need some help with ideas of songs for a story I am working on in an office setting.

The boss is just shy of 60. Golf playing CNBC watcher type. He is a no-nonsense, stern boss not afraid to scream at his underlings.

It is after work. And, as become custom, the 22-year-old just out of college shoes up to his door. "Excuse me, Sir. But what may I do to pleasure you today?"

What is the music he has her put on the stereo before he steers her to her knees or bends her over the big desk?

(Even better - she is a hipster/indie type. I like the symbolism of her realizing her place in the workplace and shedding her past to become an obedient corporate plaything.

I got a good laugh when you said - “shoes up to his door. Sorry, it was kinda funny to read it how you wrote despite knowing what you meant(haha) Anyway, I was thinking he’d be old enough to remember the song “Heaven’s on fire” by Kiss.🌹Kant👠👠👠
 
Last edited:
Kashmir by Led Zeppelin, the ultimate fucking song, followed by LA Woman, Riders on the Storm from The Doors. He's giving her an education, right? Might as well introduce her to some decent music at the same time. A bit of Leonard Cohen is always good for seduction.
 
What kind of person is he off the job? What kind of person was he during his formative years, and was that a natural progression to him being a seemingly psychopathic executive, or did he turn his back on his tendencies of youth? These all play in to character, and what his motivations are.

Is he putting on music to make her uncomfortable, to make her feel sexy/get in the mood, or as part of his own power trip?

Does the story take place in time (putting him getting out of high school around 1978) or out of time? This point is only important if you want the music to have cultural or personal significance to him.

Do you want it to be a rock song? I'd suggest (much as I absolutely despise the man) Test Nugent's 'Cat Scratch Fever'. Great for sleaze.

Is he into classical or really full of himself? 'Flight of the Valkyrie.'

Is it meant to be cheesy or cliche? Marvin Gaye, 'Let's Get It On.'

Any song by Prince will do if it's meant to be genuinely seductive.

Is he trying to make her uncomfortable? 'I put a spell on you'. Any version will do, although the weirdness of the original by Screaming Jay Hawkins is great, especially given it's time.


I saw you ask this on the GB, and I'm kinda shaking my head at the Metallica responses (and I say that as a big fan of their heyday, and a moderate fan of their post thrash transition in the 90s).
 
T.Rex’s song “Bang a gong (get it it on)” might fit the scene
Or
Olivia Newton John’s song “Physical”
Or
Cindi Lauper’s song “Girls just wanna have fun”
🌹Kant👠👠👠
 
Smooth Operator by Sadé. Well anything by her really.

Harvest Moon by Neil Young. Nothing else by old Neil.
 
“Closer” by Nine Inch Nails may be a little too blunt and direct, but if I were watching a movie with this scene, that’s what pops into my head. A man in his 60’s would have been in his 40’s when that song was a hit.
 
Either “What a Wonderful World” (for the perversity of it) or “Conquistador” by Procul Harem for the adventurousness.

As for the “hipster goes corporate” aspect? “Sell Out” by Reel Big Fish.
 
Have you seen this? I thought of this message when I came across it today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODidAgdL40Y

Thanks for posting that, I'm a big fan of the song too. I'm a bit disappointed though - it came from the bloody tuning? I always thought he'd say the inspiration was the rhythms and sounds of India's music and instrumentation. But no, drugs and fucking about with tuning (I'm assuming the drugs, since it was the 70s). 'Sounds a bit like a sitar'. :rolleyes:
 
I'm so glad to have clicked this thread.

"What a Wonderful World". In slow motion.
 
One question...

If the scene is predicated on the boss' perspective, go with something along the lines of CCR's 'Proud Mary' cover. If it's about your Millennial indie girl, just about anything by Liz Phair would suit nicely. There's probably music by Pink that might suit, but her music gives me the brain-stones, so I'll avoid suggestions there.

I like the idea of her bent over a desk while John Fogerty pseudo-twangs away, personally... :)

Edit: would 'Norwegian Wood' by the Beatles be too tongue-in-cheek?
 
Last edited:
Have you seen this? I thought of this message when I came across it today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODidAgdL40Y
I've not seen that doco, many thanks. Love Jimmy's coat! The first time I seriously listened to Jack White, I thought, he's the first guitarist to come anywhere close to Page, riff wise.

I could never quite figure out why Keith Richards became known as The Human Riff- Page had many more memorable ones, I reckon.
 
To answer this question I think you need to work up the backstory and personality of the man. If this is set in the present day, then he was born around 1960, and his early musical tastes would have been shaped during the 1970s, the era of disco, art rock, classic rock, novelty hits, etc. What kind of music would he like? Would he prefer classical? Or is he an AC/DC fan? Does music for him reflect a controlled, precise demeanor, or is it a medium for him to cut loose?
 
For the irony, 'Another Brick in the Wall', Pink Floyd

To speed things up, how about the final audition music from Flashdance, Cara's 'What a Feeling'?
 
Back
Top