Thanks to Yorkie Chai.

My view.

Can't you check your own work for punctuation and grammar? My current novel has been under way for 16 months: I constantly re-read and correct or improve. Get a grip and take responsibility for your own work. That's my best advice for a new writer. Best wishes, PrevertOne.

Objective opinions are useful.

A writer can miss certain details someone else can point out. No one is perfect, not even writers. Yorkie Chai found things that I missed. She made points I can incorporate in future work. You edit your way; more power to you. I prefer to use good, objective editors.

Can't you check your own work for punctuation and grammar? My current novel has been under way for 16 months: I constantly re-read and correct or improve. Get a grip and take responsibility for your own work. That's my best advice for a new writer. Best wishes, PrevertOne.

You can, but in my opinion that's not the best way for a new writer. Editors, if you can find one, beta readers, writing partners all bring a different slant that informs your work and helps you to improve.

Boo. Hiss. New writers (especially) need all the help, support and encouragement they can get. And that is surely part of the role of editor. My one foray into editing on this site was for an author whose grasp of spelling and grammar was, shall we say, tangential. But they had a strong desire to get their personal story out there. It took very little effort to knock the tale into shape and they ended up writing a five-part series which scored four-plusses with the readership across the board.

We all need a little help from our friends now and then.

No offense, but that's ridiculous.

If you don't find value in a competent editor and beta-reader, than I find any analysis you care to offer to be suspect. It's not a question of getting a grip or taking responsibility, it's a question of utilizing resources to produce the best product possible.

Editors and beta-readers on Lit don't receive the acknowledgement that they are due. I applaud the OP for taking the time to credit YorkieChai.

Let me follow his example and mention that YorkieChai was kind enough to take a look at part of a story I'm working on and was kind enough to offer some excellent commentary and edits.

Back