Old 04-05-2018, 01:52 PM   #151
cherries_on_snow
Literotica Guru
 
cherries_on_snow's Avatar
 
cherries_on_snow is offline
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: gone
Posts: 1,321
Very well Senna. Five common fallacies plague American politics pervasively. They follow.

1. Ad hominem: fallacy of relevance
2. Straw man: fallacy of mischaracterization
3. False dilemma: fallacy of range
4. Circular argument: fallacy of assumption
5. Hasty generalization: fallacy of the lazy

Of couse there are many more. Causality, pointing out another's hypocrisy, etc., but without recognizing that poor logic obscures truth, we anchor ourselves to ignorance.
__________________
Guilty of strolling whilst droll.

Last edited by cherries_on_snow : 04-05-2018 at 02:00 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2018, 10:02 PM   #152
Senna Jawa
Literotica Guru
 
Senna Jawa is offline
Join Date: May 2002
Location: sqrt(-1)
Posts: 2,958
wh, short 17--courage

--


People don't have intellectual guts to
appreciate, admire and promote
freedom.




wh,
2018-04-06

-

Last edited by Senna Jawa : 04-06-2018 at 10:12 PM. Reason: italic
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2018, 02:23 AM   #153
Senna Jawa
Literotica Guru
 
Senna Jawa is offline
Join Date: May 2002
Location: sqrt(-1)
Posts: 2,958
Music, from Vertinskij's repertuar

-
two good-looking accordions
Extra:
Молдаванка
_ _album
-

Last edited by Senna Jawa : 04-07-2018 at 08:10 AM. Reason: s/2/two/
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2018, 08:30 AM   #154
Senna Jawa
Literotica Guru
 
Senna Jawa is offline
Join Date: May 2002
Location: sqrt(-1)
Posts: 2,958
Hava Nagila

Try to listen only, to the end, only then look:

enjoy
and
trio
-

(The jurors at the given competition are awful).

Last edited by Senna Jawa : 04-07-2018 at 03:22 PM. Reason: remark
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2018, 03:28 PM   #155
Senna Jawa
Literotica Guru
 
Senna Jawa is offline
Join Date: May 2002
Location: sqrt(-1)
Posts: 2,958
wh, short 18--Champagne may help(?)

--


winless wingless wimps whine and whinge



wh,
2018-04-07


--

Last edited by Senna Jawa : 04-08-2018 at 01:02 PM. Reason: modern spelling
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2018, 11:11 PM   #156
Senna Jawa
Literotica Guru
 
Senna Jawa is offline
Join Date: May 2002
Location: sqrt(-1)
Posts: 2,958
Subtle artistic means in poetry

Someone gives you a massage so gentle that you don't even know that it's happening but it feels good.

That's what I mean by subtle artistic means.

Can you quote a poem like this? It can be a poem by anybody or by you; perhaps a small fragment should be extracted and pointed to.

Last edited by Senna Jawa : 04-08-2018 at 05:07 AM. Reason: a better word
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2018, 02:32 PM   #157
Senna Jawa
Literotica Guru
 
Senna Jawa is offline
Join Date: May 2002
Location: sqrt(-1)
Posts: 2,958
Subtle artistic means in poetry--commentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna Jawa View Post
Someone gives you a massage so gentle that you don't even know that it's happening but it feels good.

That's what I mean by subtle artistic means.
First, what I do not mean by subtle artistic means while otherwise, things can be subtle:
  • a poem may feature hues of similar colors like yellow and gold, or spring green versus summer green, or green sea versus prairie, etc. Similar colors in the same image in the same poem. All these may be subtle (subtle images) but this is not about subtle artistic means;
    -
  • a poem may describe music with its subtle variations of melody and/or rhythm. This may be subtle but it's not about subtle means.
    -
  • a poem may mention characters who are bold in different ways. Some are bold physically (e.g. riding fast a bike down a steep mountain road), others are bold socially (someone may stand against a crowd getting crazy or against political forces); again, this may be interesting and even subtle but it's not about means.

The issue under the consideration is artistic means, and not what the poem is about. Here are two of the possible directions:
  • grammatical misdirecting; subtle means that the reader doesn't consciously pay attention to, for instance to a grammatically unexpected combination of two grammatical subjects in a phrase of the form A and B. But it will be refreshing, it should register somewhere in the reader's brain. Let me add that the phrase still should be perfect grammatically but unusual IF you pay attention to it, where readers virtually never do. To me, this is where poetry is at its best.
    -
  • anti-logic; the anti should be for readers virtually invisible--everything works according to every intention; only when you look under the logical magnifying lens then you see that the statement is formally illogical. I believe, again, that this is refreshing like a light massage. Here I would not say that that's where poetry is at its best but it is still a strong poetic moment. Furthermore, when anti-logic is combined with discreet humor, then indeed, such moments see poetry at its best. The humor must be truly discreet, delicate (in practice and unfortunately, very few readers are able to pay attention to it but some do).

Last edited by Senna Jawa : 04-08-2018 at 05:15 PM. Reason: italic
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #158
Senna Jawa
Literotica Guru
 
Senna Jawa is offline
Join Date: May 2002
Location: sqrt(-1)
Posts: 2,958
If I lived on an island...

...by myself, in the middle of Pacific Ocean, and if I had to have only one poem with me, I would keep with me
Departure (by Bolesław Leśmian)
-
see Recommend a Poem thread (and you better sign up for a class of Polish language too).

Last edited by Senna Jawa : 04-09-2018 at 11:40 AM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2018, 11:52 PM   #159
Senna Jawa
Literotica Guru
 
Senna Jawa is offline
Join Date: May 2002
Location: sqrt(-1)
Posts: 2,958
Streetcar Islands

GM has asked me about my life in Poland (under communism). Let me mention one element...

Since I was 9y old, and until 25, I used to jump in and out of the running public transportation vehicles--streetcars, trolleys, and buses. And I spend a lot of time on the entry step (instead of being inside the vehicle). This was a part of me.

My feel of the street (and of bums) helped me after a couple dozens of years later more than once.

One of my poetry collections is Streetcar Islands (mostly in Polish, a bit in English).

I had my share of good and bad luck. It was my good luck that I have not lost any of my limbs (not to mention life).

Last edited by Senna Jawa : 04-10-2018 at 12:53 AM. Reason: a typo
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2018, 12:59 AM   #160
Senna Jawa
Literotica Guru
 
Senna Jawa is offline
Join Date: May 2002
Location: sqrt(-1)
Posts: 2,958
wh, short 19--middle class vs. bums

--
Equation:

middle class - bum = Sitzfleisch


wh,
years upon years ago
-

Last edited by Senna Jawa : 05-25-2018 at 02:44 AM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2018, 07:21 PM   #161
Senna Jawa
Literotica Guru
 
Senna Jawa is offline
Join Date: May 2002
Location: sqrt(-1)
Posts: 2,958
Music--Jody Watley, Don't you...

--
Jody Watley, Don't you want me?

--
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2018, 03:15 AM   #162
Senna Jawa
Literotica Guru
 
Senna Jawa is offline
Join Date: May 2002
Location: sqrt(-1)
Posts: 2,958
Learning mathematics

Todski:

-- Both my boys are far more advanced in their reading and mathematics than the rest of their classes and both are being held back by the school system currently,

Write also about your older son's mathematics.

-- my 7 year old has taught himself his times tables up to 15 and the school won’t let him do times tables in class because the rest of the class isn’t ready for it.

These days East Asians (perhaps Indians too, possibly Iranians) teach mathematics intensively. For this reason, they get great results. Nevertheless, they approach traditionally is wrong (not that others are any better). The enthusiasm of your younger son about learning mathematics is wonderful, and nobody should ever try to slow him down. And still one can do still so much better than being preoccupied too much with learning tables for the sake of tables.

Yes, one should do a lot of calculations, it's important and great. However, one should make them only on the way to solve some meaningful problems. Then one doesn't even think about calculations, one takes them for granted.

For a 7-year old--and for others too!--let him be friends with numbers. You may associate patterns with numbers. Think about domina stones, about all kind of symmetries. Thus some numbers are squares: 1*1=1, 2*2=4, 3*3=9, ... There are also triangular numbers, e.g. the four triangular number T_4 is:

*
**
***
****

so it is T_4 = 1+2+3+4 = 10. Then two consecutive triangular numbers add up to a square:

* ****
** ***
*** **
**** *
*****

You can see that T_4+T_5 = 5*5 -- a square. Etc., etc., ... no end. Once you are friends with the numbers, you have a lot of material for thinking about them, you can discover and/or prove many statements about them.

Once you play with fractions then another wonderful world opens up. You will find all kind of things which will require a lot of computation but you will not even realize that you're working hard because it is FUN, it gives authentic satisfaction not from the skills to show off but from the obtained true mathematical achievements.

Your younger one should already think about fractions, and he should talk about them with his older brother.

Enjoy, Todski, and best for your kids (ALL 4 of them),
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2018, 06:38 AM   #163
todski28
Literotica Guru
 
todski28 is offline
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna Jawa View Post
Todski:

-- Both my boys are far more advanced in their reading and mathematics than the rest of their classes and both are being held back by the school system currently,

Write also about your older son's mathematics.

-- my 7 year old has taught himself his times tables up to 15 and the school won’t let him do times tables in class because the rest of the class isn’t ready for it.

These days East Asians (perhaps Indians too, possibly Iranians) teach mathematics intensively. For this reason, they get great results. Nevertheless, they approach traditionally is wrong (not that others are any better). The enthusiasm of your younger son about learning mathematics is wonderful, and nobody should ever try to slow him down. And still one can do still so much better than being preoccupied too much with learning tables for the sake of tables.

Yes, one should do a lot of calculations, it's important and great. However, one should make them only on the way to solve some meaningful problems. Then one doesn't even think about calculations, one takes them for granted.

For a 7-year old--and for others too!--let him be friends with numbers. You may associate patterns with numbers. Think about domina stones, about all kind of symmetries. Thus some numbers are squares: 1*1=1, 2*2=4, 3*3=9, ... There are also triangular numbers, e.g. the four triangular number T_4 is:

*
**
***
****

so it is T_4 = 1+2+3+4 = 10. Then two consecutive triangular numbers add up to a square:

* ****
** ***
*** **
**** *
*****

You can see that T_4+T_5 = 5*5 -- a square. Etc., etc., ... no end. Once you are friends with the numbers, you have a lot of material for thinking about them, you can discover and/or prove many statements about them.

Once you play with fractions then another wonderful world opens up. You will find all kind of things which will require a lot of computation but you will not even realize that you're working hard because it is FUN, it gives authentic satisfaction not from the skills to show off but from the obtained true mathematical achievements.

Your younger one should already think about fractions, and he should talk about them with his older brother.

Enjoy, Todski, and best for your kids (ALL 4 of them),
Thank you senna he is interested in all sorts of number games he makes his friends do mathematical equations before they can play soccer with him, they hate it

He has fun doing the calculations in his head, I am severely limited in my mathematical capabilities so I’m not much help to him,
__________________
todski28

As a favour to Tsotha
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2018, 09:09 PM   #164
Senna Jawa
Literotica Guru
 
Senna Jawa is offline
Join Date: May 2002
Location: sqrt(-1)
Posts: 2,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by todski28 View Post
[...] I’m not much help to him,
You could and you should. Regards,
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2018, 01:21 AM   #165
Senna Jawa
Literotica Guru
 
Senna Jawa is offline
Join Date: May 2002
Location: sqrt(-1)
Posts: 2,958
No need to be a mathematician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna Jawa View Post
You could and you should. Regards,
Todski, there are many ways to assist your sons' mathematical talent. This could have a tremendous positive impact.

Last edited by Senna Jawa : 05-26-2018 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Better English?
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2018, 07:43 PM   #166
todski28
Literotica Guru
 
todski28 is offline
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna Jawa View Post
Todski, there are many ways to assist your sons' mathematical talent. This could have a tremendous positive impact.
Yesterday’s eye spy game in the car his letter chosen was “q” the answer quarter line from the fuel gauge.... left me bewildered and half smiling whilst shaking my head I was never in the ball park with my guess
__________________
todski28

As a favour to Tsotha
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2018, 05:04 AM   #167
Senna Jawa
Literotica Guru
 
Senna Jawa is offline
Join Date: May 2002
Location: sqrt(-1)
Posts: 2,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by todski28 View Post
Yesterday’s eye spy game in the car his letter chosen was “q” the answer quarter line from the fuel gauge.... left me bewildered and half smiling whilst shaking my head I was never in the ball park with my guess
1. You may try to find someone who knows mathematics and would be willing to spend some time with your kids. If it were a true mathematician they would never charge for having a pleasure to assist sharp youngster.

2. You may take your kids to a bookstore (of an academic type if possible) or browse with them Amazon or similar. Let them chose some texts. At least equally important is to select excellent books for them.

In general, it is very important for kids that they do something about which others care. They should think that mathematics is important and serious to some people.

(Within my limited energy, I still could work some online, perhaps through a page or email. I don't need to know anything which would identify anybody, the email and other accounts can be anonymous to keep strangers at distance).
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:44 PM.

Copyright 1998-2013 Literotica Online. Literotica is a registered trademark.