The Roaring Twenties

Jack was totally bemused,Clare was being so contrary, unpredictable even, once upon a time he could read her like a book, he'd know what she was thinking almost before she did, but now he could not get into her mind at all. He could only look into her eyes and see the love that lurked there but he couldn't get past the barriers she put up.

"I agree, I think it best if you do leave, you can think this through with no pressure from me."

He dressed and informed Clare that he was going to get her something to wear. As he left he barely noticed the man across the street standing in the shadows.
When he returned an hour later the man had gone, not that Jack had noticed him, the worrying thing was that Clare had gone too. Apparently she had clothed herself in an old coat of his to hide her nakedness.
What should he do now?

He thought for a moment then abruptly charged out of the door and hailed a cab and gave Clare's address. She had to be there and he intended to have everything out in the open with no more secrets, but when he arrived he was devastated the place had been cleaned out and was devoid of every trace of Clare. On asking around the only thing he discovered was that a motor van had arrived around nine o'clock and men had taken everything and no, there had been no sign of Clare.
Just as he was about to leave an old lady stopped him and said

"You really love her don't you young sir?"

"Yes, yes I do."

"Keep looking then for I am sure she loves you, it might help if you knew the removals were made by SMITHERS & METCALFE, I know 'cos my nephew was one of 'em wot moved her stuff."

Jack thanked her profusely and was disappointed when she waved away the crisp white five pound note he offered her. Now he had something to work with, the removals could tell him where they had taken everything.
 
Last edited:
Clare quickly got off the bed as soon as Jack left. She didn't have much time. With shaking fingers, she tore open his closet, looking for something to cover herself with. She had to get gone before they found her and hurt Jack. An old raincoat was her only option and she slipped it around her and tied the belt tight.

A quick glance out failed to show anyone around and Clare quietly slipped out. Occasionally looking over her shoulder, she thought she saw someone but surely they wouldn't try something the broad daylight.

The little old lady stepped off the step in front of her and Clare bumped into her.

"I'm sorry, dearie. But you're not going anywhere. You've caused enough trouble."

Clare tried to backup, running right into the large man following her. He clapped the handkerchief soaked in chloroform over her mouth and nose.

"Come along, Cora. You won't get away this time."

Clare's world grew fuzzy, then dark. A dark car pulled up to the curb and the two quickly bundled her into the car before it drove off.
 
Jack followed the directions the old lady gave him and found the office of the removal company in a single back room, innocuous and unlikely to attract attention. The only occupant was a large unshaven man who smelled of an unwashed body. Jack wrinkled his nose and asked,

"Can you help me? My fiance had her house cleared this morning as she was moving but she forgot to tell me where she was moving to. I understand it was your company that undertook the job so can you tell me where the contents were delivered to?"

"No I fuckin' can't, the client wanted complete secrecy as to where he was going."

"HE? But the contents belonged to my fiance, there is no man involved."

"Are you callin' me a fuckin' liar? If I say a man made the reservation then a man it was, I din't see no female."

"Then perhaps you could look for the invoice and see where that was to be sent?"

"Ain't no soddin' invoice he paid in advance in cash."

Jack saw that he was up against a brick wall here so he thanked the man and gratefully left taking great gulps of fresh air as he went outside.

"Was you making enquiries 'bout a job we did this mornin' Sir"

A voice broke into his thoughts as he pondered on what to do next, it was a youth aged about nineteen,

"Yes I was but your colleague was most unhelpful. perhaps you can help."

"I shouldn't really but my aunt says your a good'un and generous too if you get the information you want."

Jack knew instantly that he would have to pay for any information so he slipped the same crisp white five pound note into the boy's hand,

"All I want to know is where you took the contents of the house."

"I can't quite remember Sir but it was somewhere South of the river."

Sighing, Jack played the game and handed over another five pounds.

"Oh yeah it wus a warehouse just near Waterloo station,
had a name in big letters on t'side, can't quite remember the name though
"

Jack handed over another five pounds,

"TRY, and no more messing me about."

"It was er, er, all funny letters sorta foreign looking."

Jack immediately knew where the youth meant he had passed the warehouse dozens of times.

"Thanks sonny, and you be sure to treat your aunt."

He hailed a cab and as he sat in the back he told the driver,

"Waterloo station"
 
She felt as if she were in a long tunnel, with her a one end and someone else at the other, saying words that didn't make much sense.

"...Cora...where...tell us...unpleasant..." The words drifted in and out, swirling around her head. Suddenly, someone slapped her face and the world spun.

"Idiot! We don't want her hurt."

Then someone spoke in a foreign tongue but Clare did not know who or what they said. Her cheek hurt as she slowly opened her eyes. One was a huge man with a scar above his left eyebrow. The other was a ferret of a man, small and scrawny, that she recognized as the old lady she had bumped into.

She realized that she was naked, tied into some big wooden thing so that she could move neither her arms nor her legs. She grew quiet.

"Ah, my little pretty has realized the trouble she is in." Ferret man smile a sickly sweet smile, though his eyes held something else. "We tried to give you time to retrieve it Cora. It belongs to us. We no longer believe this 'I'm my twin sister, Clare'! Clare is dead and you have it. It wasn't on your coat, so..." he ran a hand up her side until he reached her breast. He pinched her nipple until he got the results he wanted. As she cried out, he stopped and leaned in to lightly suck the tit. "See, I can be cruel or kind."

She closed her mouth. Nothing she could say would convince them.

"Well, I guess that we shall just have to search your body. Which should be fun. For us."

Ferret man ran a finger down across her body until her reached her nether hair, stroking it gentle.

"Such lovely curls. Did your lover play with them or go straight to fucking you? Hmmm?" He slipped a finger in her dry slit, feeling around.

"Aw, dear me. No good morning fuck? Maybe he didn't like being lied to." He methodically pumped his finger into the dry channel until her body began producing lubrication to protect itself. "There we go. I wouldn't want my weapon to get hurt." As his finger continue its work he smiled. "Oh, I'm not going to fuck you, but my friend is." Ferret stepped aside and she saw the scarred man behind. Snaking out of his pants was the largest cock imaginable. "Oh, it gets larger, the more excited he gets."

He turned to scarface. "Just how long does it get, my friend?"

"12 and a half inches."
 
The warehouse was only a few minutes walk from the railway station and as Jack approached cautiously he saw a large expensive limousine parked outside. It looked odd and out of place outside a supposedly deserted run down warehouse, as he drew closer he noticed that it bore diplomatic plates He now knew that calling the police would achieve nothing as diplomatic plates meant immunity from arrest, he would have to go it alone.

He managed to get to the shelter of the warehouse without being seen and peered through a broken window. He drew in his breath sharply as he saw Clare, she was naked and chained hand and foot to a large wooden cross, but it was the sight of the two men with her that got his blood boiling. One a little skinny ferret faced man who had just finished fingering Clare's exposed pussy and forced her to lubricate, judging from the smirk on his face and the juice dripping from Clare's pussy.Jack strained his ears to hear what was being said , his blood ran cold when he heard Ratface chuckle,

"Oh, I'm not going to fuck you, but my friend is."

His attention turned to the other man a veritable giant, huge in every way, he had muscles on his muscles or so it seemed and he held a fearsome looking weapon in his hand, long and thick with heavy blue veins running the whole length.

" Just how long does it get, my friend?
"

The answer when it came made him tremble,

"12 and a half inches."

He thought he heard Clare scream and he didn't blame her, he was scared himself but he had to do something, and soon.

Fortunately it seemed the giant was intent on enjoying himself before he fucked her, he moved right up to Clare and stroked the tip of his monster from the bottom of her slit to the top over her clit and mound to stand upright against her stomach and took both of her tits in his hands, dwarfing the firm mounds that Jack worshipped.

Forcing open a window as quietly as he could he saw that Clare had seen him and she started screaming loudly to cover any noise he made,He gritted his teeth and found a length of timber about four foot long and crept up behind both men. He knew he had to deal with the colossus first and he would only get one shot at it.

He raised the timber above his head and smashed it down on the giant's head who went down poleaxed but the timber broke in two. Ratface was quick to react but not fast enough as Jack stuck out a foot and tripped him, he sat on him and demanded in a steely voice,

"Keys, keys to the irons, NOW"

Ratface had no option but to hand them over and Jack quickly unshackled her but before he could do any more Muscles staggered to his feet and bore down on them his face a mask of fury, Jack did the only thing he could and drove the sharp splintered end of the timber into the giant's groin. No human should ever have to hear those screams again. They managed to find the raincoat that Clare had been wearing and left as quickly as they could.

"We better not go back to my place and yours is empty, we'll find a hotel and then you can tell me what the fuck is going on."
 
What the large man held in his hand was too scary to contemplate what he planned doing to her with it. The scream tore from her lips and she tried to pull loose from the wooden frame. But there was no possibility.

Scarface advanced towards her, his huge cock leading the way. But behind the two men, she caught a glimpse of Jack trying to sneak through the window. He was her only chance to escape and she started screaming to try and cover up any noise he might make. Scarface's mammoth bulky body then blocked her view of Jack and she had no idea if he was inside or still trying to gain entry. The huge man was close enough that he began to rub his cock tip against the slit that ferret face had just fingered. If that monster pushed it into her, it would rip her in two.

The monster was grinning at her as his huge hand began pawing her breast and she worried that Jack was outnumbered 3 to 1, for Scarface surely counted as 2 men.

She saw the large timber seconds before it crashed down on the huge man's head. Down the giant went, whether stunned or out cold she didn't know. Ferret face took off running but Jack tripped him up and the man went down. As Jack sat on him, he demanded the keys to unlock her and soon had her free. About that time, Scarface came to again and Jack was forced to drive the broken end of the wooden post into the man's groin while ferret face took off running.

They found the raincoat and while she covered herself up, Jack came up with a plan.

We better not go back to my place and yours is empty, we'll find a hotel and then you can tell me what the fuck is going on.

He grabbed her hand as they took off as fast as they could. She didn't want to think anymore. She wanted to close her eyes and forget everything.

She stumbled and Jack quickly wrapped his arm around her waist and drew her close to him. Soon he was slipping her in the back of a cab and climbing in after her. She didn't pay any attention to what he said or where they went. Several times they got out of a cab, walked a block or two to climb back into another cab, twisting and turning around the city.

She was not really aware of when they stopped running until he put the key in the lock and ushered her in. He slipped a chair under the locked door knob and sat her down on the edge of the bed.

He was going to want answers. How could she give them to him when she didn't even know them herself?
 
This running from some unknown threat was new to Jack, he was no coward and had it been him alone he would have stayed and fought but he had Clare to think about so he set about laying false trails and confusing the enemy as he had been taught in his school's army cadets.
Changing cabs, walking and then another cab, there was no way that they could have been followed. When he was satisfied he booked them both into a small hotel in a side street. He locked the door and finally began to ask Clare what trouble she was in but she just shook her head and began to cry with what he assumed was shock. He sat on the bed beside her and just held her. The raincoat slid from her and she was naked in his arms, clutching at him. He so wanted her at that moment but restrained himself.

"No Clare, not now, you are not thinking straight, get some rest then we'll try to find out what this is all about."

He laid her down and covered her and for the second time slept in a chair. His sleep was fitful for he kept being woken by Clare sobbing and crying out in her sleep. Eventually when he thought she was awake he went over and asked,

"Clare neither of us is going to get a good night's sleep with you suffering as you are, would you like me to sleep alongside you , just for comfort, nothing more, I will keep my trousers on and you can wrap your self in a blanket, but I'll be at hand if you need comforting, we can leave the questioning until morning"

Hearing no answer Jack tucked a blanket around Clare's naked body doing his best not to touch her, not wanting to alarm her. Once she was covered he lay on the bed beside her, feeling her warmth through the blanket. He was tempted to hold her but thought better of it, she'd probably had enough handling today.

Sleep eventually overtook him and he drifted off.
 
Last edited:
When she awoke later, it was dark and she was somewhat confused. She was afraid to speak out loud but rather whispered out his name.

"Jack! Jack! Are you awake?"

She was worried. Old ferret face had gotten away. That meant that he could come after her again. If she just knew what that man wanted.

She threw back the covers and reached over to wake him. She could hear his light snore but she needed to warn him. She suddenly felt very vulnerable, being nude in bed with him.

Her hand was light on his forearm. "Ja-". She didn't even get his name out before he had grabbed her and spun her around so that she found herself underneath him.

"Jack, it's me!"
 
Last edited:
Jack slept fitfully, his dreams filling him with dread of the giant in the warehouse and what he might have done to HIS precious Clare. then he heard her calling him, from far away it seemed, but it was only a whisper.

' Jack! Jack! Are you awake? '

Suddenly the covers were thrown back and he felt her light touch on his arm and he was wide awake, needing Clare as never before. She began to speak but before she got one word out,

'Ja-.'

He had grabbed her arm and spun her over onto her back and he was on top of her naked warm body, staring into her wide frightened eyes,
'
'Jack, it's me!'

"I know, I know, you are where you belong, here with me, alone, and we want each other, we NEED each other."

His voice was low and hoarse with passion, unable and unwilling to prevent it his cock grew and stiffened between her splayed legs and his arms slid under her round backside and he lifted her hips to him her sweet pink hole meeting the head of his cock and he found her already wet and slick. Unerringly he found her entrance and with a sigh he slid into her, letting her velvety channel sheath his shaft and coat it with her juices. He hesitated for just a moment then drove his cock deep into her lithe soft body, his fingers digging into her firm dimpled cheeks. In and out, in and out in and out, Jack couldn't, wouldn't stop, he was completely out of control, he wanted Clare so badly to be his. He claimed her, made her his and wouldn't take no for an answer. His passion took him to a momentous climax and he filled her until his creamy spunk leaked down her thighs, he collapsed on top of her when he had finished unwilling to let her go and smothered her face and neck with kisses.

Realising what he had done Jack had no regrets but practical as ever he half joked,

"Much as I enjoy seeing you like this we will have to get you some clothes. Do you want to come with me or will you trust me to get you something suitable?"
 
I know, I know, you are where you belong, here with me, alone, and we want each other, we NEED each other.

He sounded tortured as he pinned her to the bed. But in his eyes, she could see the passion that was echoed in her eyes. She had worried that she would never see him again and as his hands lifted her hips, he slid home his manhood. Yes, it felt right and for a moment there was hesitation before he leaned into her. His fingers gripped her ass, pulling her body onto his. He seemed possessed, and she didn't fight it. The time for that was now long past.

She couldn't believe that he still wanted her, that he still loved her. Yet, they were still in danger. She needed to let him know just what he was up against. But not at this moment.

His speed increased and she could feel the climax coming. So she hung on, waiting to follow him over that precipice where she would lose a sense and reason. When it happened, she held on tight as they both came, Jack filling her with his warm seed while he held her on his arms, covering her with kisses.

Much as I enjoy seeing you like this we will have to get you some clothes. Do you want to come with me or will you trust me to get you something suitable?

"No, don't leave me. I - I - don't... I'm afraid that old ferret face will come for me. Let me clean myself up and then we can leave."

The morn was dawning as she washed away the traces of his seed from between her thighs. There was no chance for privacy and every time she looked up, she saw him watching her every movement. She finally slipped on the raincoat and belted it.

"Ready?"
 
The few minutes it took to bring both him and Clare back down to earth were just a haze of euphoria and joy, they held each other , kissed and cuddled took their pleasure with each other, Jack sliding his hands between Clare's legs feeling her wetness and glorying in her satisfied sighs. For Clare's part Jack didn't rightly know what she did but it was most satisfying and he deposited more cum on her spread thighs with their mouths locked in a long passionate kiss. Eventually his mind cleared and he said,

"Much as I enjoy seeing you like this we will have to get you some clothes. Do you want to come with me or will you trust me to get you something suitable?"

"No, don't leave me. I - I - don't... I'm afraid that old ferret face will come for me. Let me clean myself up and then we can leave."

That Clare didn't want to be left alone was obvious but it put him in a dilemma, how in hell could he take her shopping for clothes with her stark naked except for an old raincoat? Then he had a brainwave he put his hand up the chimney and got some soot and smeared a little on her face and for good measure on the tops of her breasts,

"Follow my lead honey"

He took her down the back stairs of the hotel and through a side door into a clothes store next door. Catching the eye of a sales assistant he beckoned her over,

"I'm sorry Miss but my fiance and I are in a bit of a pickle, we just got engaged last night and we were celebrating and we ran out of drink so I went out to get some more and when I returned the place was on fire, my fiance managed to grab a raincoat and barely got out alive but all her clothes were lost so she literally doesn't have a thing to wear, show the lady darling."

Jack didn't know if he would be believed or not but if Clare was brave enough to show herself then it could be ok.
 
She was surprised when he spread soot on her face and the swell of her breast before she tied the raincoat around her body. Jack grabbed her hand and they headed downstairs and out the door. The first dress store they came to, in they ducked while she looked around for ferret face.

Jack started in on his story - something about a fire and suddenly he wanted her to show the woman that she was nude. She hesitated for a second before undoing the belt and briefly flashed the woman.

Thirty minutes later they left with her cleaned up and decently clothed. She didn't know where they were going to go. They knew about him and his place, and according to him her place was polished off. Where could they go? Yet another hotel. She held onto his hand, not sure what was next but she knew that they needed to get somewhere and talk. Figure out what was going on and what these evil people wanted.
 
Jack gave the sales assistant a smile when he asked Clare to show herself, as if he was embarrassed by it all. Fortunately Clare followed his lead and with a brief hesitation she opened the raincoat displaying her naked body. Even under the circumstances Jack couldn't help but admire Clare's body and he wanted her all over again but this clearly wasn't the time or the place.

"Some lingerie and two outfits I think, one for day wear and another for our 'official' engagement party tonight."

The sales girl fetched a selection of outfits after showing them to a changing room separate from the others,

"If you have a need for privacy after your 'celebrations' were cut short, Sir,,,, Ma'am."

The choices were somewhat limited as the area was in a depressed part of London but Clare picked out the best of what was on offer, unable to resist the sexiest lingerie she chose to wear Black lacy bra and panties with the obligatory silk stockings. Jack gave a low whistle as Clare twirled around, they both forgot just for a moment their predicament. To contradict her underwear, Clare, with Jack's guidance chose a simple sheath dress

The evening wear, Jack allowed Clare to choose for herself and was amazed that she chose a revealing gold dress more along the style he imagined Cora would have worn.

Once he had paid for the clothes Jack found that his funds were almost gone, he dared'n't go to his bank as whoever was after Clare or Cora would know who he was by now and quite possibly watching his bank.

"Clare darling, do you have anyone you can trust enough to loan you, say five hundred pounds and not ask questions?"

If her answer was no then he would have to ask Charlie, his best friend. That Charlie would loan him the money he was in no doubt but there was always the risk that 'THEY' could be watching him also.
 
Last edited:
Clare darling, do you have anyone you can trust enough to loan you, say five hundred pounds and not ask questions?

"Well, a couple of days ago, I would have said yes, but you kinda burned that bridge the other night." She looked at him, sure he would remember what she was talking about. "I'm sure David wouldn't give me the time of day now. Besides, I'm sure that they saw me with him."

She shook her head. But there was another option.

"Would 400 £ be enough?"
 
Jack agreed with Clare's summing up of her situation regarding borrowing money, especially from David who he thought a complete idiot and one who would want to know every detail and more than likely he'd want Clare or Cora as he knew her as part of the deal.

"Let's forget about David, I don't think he can be trusted, but if you can get £400 that will help tremendously, how do you propose to do that?"

As they walked and talked Jack was hoping Clare could give him some clue as to what 'THEY' were looking for.

"Did those thugs say anything about what they are after? How big it was? How you became involved,anything at all? It's obviously something very valuable, valuable to them anyway. Have you anything of Cora's that could be that valuable?"

His arm around her waist saved her from being run down by a large limousine with diplomatic number plates. He saw it in the nick of time and pulled her to him, torn between seeing that she was ok and chasing after the limousine. Common sense prevailed and he hugged her soft pliant body to him.

"We have to get off the streets it's too dangerous out here. We'll have to take a chance at Charlie's, it's just around the corner."

They headed for Charlie's more in hope than anything.
Fortunately Charlie was at home and welcomed them warmly, Jack told him they were in trouble but didn't expand on that but Charlie asked no questions as he fed them and gave them a welcome drink although he did raise his eyebrows when Jack referred to his companion as Clare.

"This IS exciting, what can I do to help?

He asked enthusiastically.
 
Last edited:
Let's forget about David, I don't think he can be trusted, but if you can get £400 that will help tremendously, how do you propose to do that?

She gave him the address and they headed off on foot, talking over the whole thing.

Did those thugs say anything about what they are after? How big it was? How you became involved,anything at all? It's obviously something very valuable, valuable to them anyway. Have you anything of Cora's that could be that valuable?

"They didn't say what it was - they seemed to think that I already knew what it was. I think that it may be small mainly because the searched my purse and looked in things, not behind things. So, small? Unless they were looking for a key to something. As for Cora having valuable things, who knows. She had both as far as I know. It was just whatever caught her eye. But as they have already gone through her stuff and didn't find it, and now my stuff and didn't find it..." She shrugged her shoulders. "And she certainly didn't give me anything. And it was obvious that she didn't give it to David. All he really wanted was sex, which apparently Cora gave him, so the baby could just as easily been his as yours. One she was no longer a virgin, I think that she was quite..."

Suddenly a large car came out of nowhere and it was only Jack's quick thinking and reactions that save her. He held her tight.

We have to get off the streets it's too dangerous out here. We'll have to take a chance at Charlie's, it's just around the corner.

Luckily Charlie was in, taking care of their needs - food, drink, etc. - before offering them help.

"We need to be careful. These people are ruthless..." She stopped for a moment as her blood ran cold. "Jack, exactly what caused the accident that killed Cora?" She wondered if he had thought of what she had thought of.
 
Clare had put into words what he had been thinking ever since Clare had been abducted, they had said
' We tried to give you time to retrieve it Cora. It belongs to us. We no longer believe this 'I'm my twin sister, Clare'! Clare is dead and you have it.'

How did they know that Clare was supposedly dead unless they had something to do with it, but why kill Clare ? As a warning to Cora perhaps, but they had fucked up and killed the wrong one. It was all so confusing but one thing stood out this went back over two years before Cora was killed.

Jack didn't know if Clare knew the answer to his next question or even if it had any relevance.

"Did Cora work at all ? Even part time or on a casual basis, if she did was it for a government agency or anything that could have something to do with espionage?"

He knew he was clutching at straws but it was vital that they tried to cover every possible angle.

Charlie looked at them both and asked with an excited look on his face,

"Is anybody going to tell me what the hell you two are mixed up in? You came to me because you needed help and I am happy to give it, but all this talk of government agencies, espionage, no, you've got it all wrong, Cora helped some guy, sorting his files or something, he's a nutty professor, at least that's what I think."

It was the best lead they had and after some cajoling they got the professor's name from Charlie and he blushed a bright red when Clare hugged him and kissed his cheek. Not wanting to be left out Jack sat Clare on his knee and pursed his lips,

"Waboume? He mumbled.
 
Apparently, Charlie knew some things about Cora that she did not and she had known some things that only she had known, like the baby.

"Once he knows that I carry his baby, then he will marry me. Jack will do the right thing, even if it means leaving you out in the cold, Sis. You had your chance. You should of slept with him when he asked."

Cora's words echoed through her head and she almost missed what Charlie said about her sister. Thank God for the man.

Is anybody going to tell me what the hell you two are mixed up in? You came to me because you needed help and I am happy to give it, but all this talk of government agencies, espionage, no, you've got it all wrong, Cora helped some guy, sorting his files or something, he's a nutty professor, at least that's what I think.

"Thank you, Charlie. You are a life saver."

She gave Charlie a big hug and kiss and then found herself sitting on Jack's knee, the man acting all left out of all the affection and wanting his fair share. Clare blushed, not knowing what to do but give the man a kiss on the cheek and hug him. After all, this was still fairly new to her.
 
Jack was slightly put out when HIS Clare hugged and kissed Charlie even though he knew it was a spontaneous gesture and didn't mean anything but like a male animal claiming his female he grabbed her and sat her on his knee and captured a soft breast in one hand that curled around her.

' Waboume?'

He mumbled grumpily but felt better when Clare hugged him as well and kissed his cheek.

"Before we go charging in and accusing this guy with God knows what we need is funds, Charlie has already said that right now he can only manage a hundred but you were saying something about four hundred from somewhere, Clare. "

Clare squirmed round to half face him and he felt his cock growing harder as her rear pressed on his groin, instinctively his grip on her breast tightened, squeezing it.

"Anyone got any other ideas, suggestions as to what we do next?"

" Can we think of anyone else that Cora might have trusted enough to give them something valuable, to keep for her perhaps, if she knew that somebody was looking for it she might have passed it to someone who wouldn't be suspected?"

Charlie put in, hoping for some brilliant idea.

Jack thought for a moment then held out his hand,

"Cora gave me this on our last weekend together, said to keep it as a reminder of our time together."

On his little finger was a cheap looking ring with a glittering false Ruby stone.

"I've kept it but never thought much about it. It looks cheap and nasty but let's have a look anyway."

He slipped it off and handed it to Clare,

"Here you take a look you know more about that sort of thing than me, I doubt whether it'll be much help though."
 
Last edited:
Before we go charging in and accusing this guy with God knows what we need is funds, Charlie has already said that right now he can only manage a hundred but you were saying something about four hundred from somewhere, Clare.

Clare was a bit apprehensive. She had been socking away money - a little bit here and there just in case she could make a quick getaway from these men that Cora had wrapped herself up with. She was a bit squirmy in Jack's lap, feeling a certain bulge pressing against her bottom. Suddenly Jack and Charlie were talking at the same time and she tried to keep up with both of them.

Anyone got any other ideas, suggestions as to what we do next?

Can we think of anyone else that Cora might have trust sted enough to give them something valuable, to keep for her perhaps, if she knew that somebody was looking for it she might have passed it to someone who wouldn't be suspected?


They sat around for a minute, thinking. She wished that she knew Cora a bit better. But the woman had always been competitive with her.

Cora gave me this on our last weekend together, said to keep it as a reminder of our time together. I've kept it but never thought much about it. It looks cheap and nasty but let's have a look anyway. Here you take a look you know more about that sort of thing than me, I doubt whether it'll be much help though.

He took it off and handed it to Clare. It really did not look like the kind if stuff that Cora would wear. The stone was cheap red glass with a chip here and there in the stone. And the stone was a bit loose.

"She gave this to you? Really? Because this is really not like something she would...I mean, look! This stone is loose."

She wiggled it with her thumb. "In fact, this bezel has been bent weird to hold the stone in. This ring is crap. Surely that's not it."

She threw the ring down on the floor and the stone popped out. "I'm sorry, Jack. I should not have done that."

She got up and went to pick up the pieces, not bothering to look at it. She put it in Jack's hand and headed for the bathroom.
 
Jack handed the ring to Clare who took one look at it and declared,

'She gave this to you? Really? Because this is really not like something she would...I mean, look! This stone is loose."
'

Clare took another look and disdainfully said,

'In fact, this bezel has been bent weird to hold the stone in. This ring is crap. Surely that's not it.'

Clare threw the ring to the floor and the ruby coloured glass popped out, Clare immediately apologized but Jack could see that something was troubling her about the ring, surely she wasn't jealous because Cora had given it to him? She then picked up the pieces and handed them back to Jack then fled to the bathroom.

Charlie looked dumbfounded at Clare's petulance and enquired,

"What the heck was that all about?"

"I'm not entirely sure Charlie, leave it to me."

He went to the bathroom door which was securely locked but he could hear Clare sobbing inside, he tapped on the door and spoke quietly and gently,

"What is wrong Clare, no judgement just tell me, I can hazard a guess that it's because I kept a ring that Cora gave me but remember until a couple of days ago I thought that it was YOU that gave it to me, I kept it because it was all I thought I had left of you. Cora actually did me a favour with her deception, she strengthened my love for you, if I had known of it I would have gone straight back to you. It's you I love Clare not Cora and my memories of her."

Jack listened at the door again and the sobbing was now just quiet sniffles.

"Come out my love, I hate talking to a door."
 
She was stupid to be jealous of Cora. Cora was dead. But she was. She should have told Jack 2 years ago when Cora first slept with him. But deep down she was afraid that if he knew the truth, he would go with the sister that gave him what he had wanted. The one that had slept when he had asked. The tears flowed freely and she couldn't stop.

And then he was at the bathroom door, speaking quietly to her through it.

What is wrong Clare, no judgement just tell me, I can hazard a guess that it's because I kept a ring that Cora gave me but remember until a couple of days ago I thought that it was YOU that gave it to me, I kept it because it was all I thought I had left of you. Cora actually did me a favour with her deception, she strengthened my love for you, if I had known of it I would have gone straight back to you. It's you I love Clare not Cora and my memories of her. Come out my love, I hate talking to a door

The tears had slowed, but she still could help but play over and over in her mind Cora's words.

"You know, once Jack knows that I'm carrying his child, he'll marry me. He'll leave you in a heartbeat even when he knows who I am. And I can make him forget you."

She leaned over and unlocked the bathroom door, sitting back down on the side of the tub.
 
Jack could almost hear Clare's tortured mind thinking things over, He realized he had to win Clare all over again and banish Cora from her thoughts, He knew it wouldn't be easy as she had been living as Cora for two years now and Cora was everywhere, her clothes, her apartment, the way she behaved mostly even her scent was that of Cora. He did however have one thing in his favour, Clare actually loved him, he had to persuade her that Cora meant nothing to him which was difficult as he and Cora had shared a deep and passionate relationship and she had become a very accomplished and adventurous lover once he had taken her virginity.
Whereas Clare was different, he didn't have extensive experience of her and the first time had been awful, he had practically raped her. Even so she was the one he wanted, had always wanted. Right now though there was an even more pressing matter, someone was out to kill them but who and why?

Clare was a forlorn figure as she sat on the edge of the tub. Her face was tear stained and her makeup had run but to Jack she looked astoundingly beautiful.

"I agree the ring is crap and not at all the sort of thing that you would have given me but at the time what else could I do but accept it, but that is not the point, it is not the sort of cheap tat that Cora would have given me if she was trying to convince me that she was you, there has to be some significance to it, let's examine it more closely."

He held the broken pieces out in his hand and at first it looked just like it was a cheap fairground ring with a glass jewel. As they examined it Jack twisted the distorted bezel that was meant to hold the glass jewel in and the bottom of the ring snapped open revealing a tiny secret compartment in which lay a tiny piece of strange looking black metal or material about half the size of a postage stamp.

"What the fuck ,,,,,,,,,,, sorry Clare,,,,,,, what the hell is that?"
Gasped Charlie.

"I have no idea but it may be what they're after, I mean who'd go to the trouble of hiding something if it wasn't valuable? "

They were at a loss as to what to do with their discovery until Jack suddenly spoke out,

"The nutty professor the chap Cora was working for perhaps he knows, what was his name Charlie?"

"Er ,,,erm I 'm not sure, he was an American I believe, give me a minute. "

Jack and Clare waited with bated breath , Jack unconsciously held Clare's hand and squeezed it.

"I've got it he wasn't a professor he was a banker, McCarthy,
George McCarthy, I remember reading somewhere he was into micro film and its uses, You reckon this could be microfilm?
"

"Only one way to find out , we ask him, once we know where to find him."

They all immediately began scouring books and newspapers for any mention of him with no success.
 
Jack came in and closed the door behind him, crossing to her. He looked worried.

I agree the ring is crap and not at all the sort of thing that you would have given me but at the time what else could I do but accept it, but that is not the point, it is not the sort of cheap tat that Cora would have given me if she was trying to convince me that she was you, there has to be some significance to it, let's examine it more closely.

He was right, of course, but that still did not sooth her troubled mind. But for the time being, she tried to push such thoughts from her mind and look at the ring pieces that he held in his hand. They went back to where Charlie waited, and though he looked puzzled at her, the three of them instead looked over the ring.

Jack noticed a hidden compartment under where the glass gem would have rested. Inside the compartment was a strange plastic type of material.

What the fuck ,,,,,,,,,,, sorry Clare,,,,,,, what the hell is that?

Charlie's words echoed Clare's thoughts.

I have no idea but it may be what they're after, I mean who'd go to the trouble of hiding something if it wasn't valuable?

Jack was the one that started putting the pieces together though Clare had to admit that this stuff was totally out of her league.

The nutty professor the chap Cora was working for perhaps he knows, what was his name Charlie?

She thought that Jack would squeeze her hand in two.

I've got it he wasn't a professor he was a banker, McCarthy,
George McCarthy, I remember reading somewhere he was into micro film and its uses, You reckon this could be microfilm?


She looked at the tiny thing in Jack's hand. Was this worth killing over. And despite searching, they could not find any mention of the man. As she grabbed a phone book, Clare called out to Jack.

"Jack, we need to warn Charlie about these guys. He could be in danger from them. Charlie, these guys may have killed Cora by mistake."

She looked in the book. "Here is a G. McCarthy. Do you think that could be him? Could it be that easy? Or maybe it's a Gary McCarthy? Or Gertrude? Or Gargoyle? Shit!" She threw her hands up in frustration.
 
It was Clare that found the number after they had wasted two hours or more looking for him in books and newspapers instead of the obvious and looking in the telephone directory, even then they were dubious, surely it couldn't be that easy?

'Here is a G. McCarthy. Do you think that could be him? Could it be that easy? Or maybe it's a Gary McCarthy? Or Gertrude? Or Gargoyle? Shit!'

Clare had put their doubts into words but Jack pulled his thoughts together and declared decisively,

"Why don't we just call and find out? If it's not him, no harm done , if it is, we can perhaps meet and clear this up. By the way Charlie Clare's right, there is no need for you to become involved any further, apparently these chaps don't know about you but if they find out they don't mess around"

"You have to be kidding, this is exciting and my life was becoming a bore, I'm in and I'm staying."

Charlie was hurt by their suggestion that he should drop out, at heart he was an adventurer and he WAS bored.

In a way Jack was relieved as Charlie was reliable and dependable a great wing man to have.

"Right that's settled then we'll give that number a call in the morning, right now I'm ready for bed, you coming Clare?"

Jack didn't know why he said it, it just seemed the natural thing to say, He and Clare were engaged and it wasn't as though they hadn't shared a bed before and these were exceptional times. Deep down in his subconscious was the thought that Clare would realise how much he wanted to be with her in every way, if only she could accept that all the love he had given Cora was meant for her.
 
Back
Top