Mint and Honey

"No one's ever said that before." Yasmine said softly, almost vulnerable and insecure about everything as he confessed that she was the woman that he had been waiting for.
 
Looking up to meet her eyes, nothing short of honesty, devotion, and love shone in Alex's calm blue gaze. He saw and heard her vulnerability, and he welcomed it with the silent promise that she was safe with him in that moment. "So... I've decided I won't pass you by... For as long as you'll have me, I'll be right here."
 
"I'm sure in time you'll come to find my flaws annoying. I can be...very prickly...when I'm upset or moody. Most won't put up with it for very long." Yasmine admitted as he acted like nothing would scare him away.
 
Alex gave a slight shrug. "I'm fairly patient," he reminded her simply. "I've never seen you upset without cause."
 
Yasmine wrapped an arm around him and held him tightly, her head pressing to his own as he told her that he wasn't going to go anywhere. It soothed a lot of fears to hear him say that he was patient and would be willing to put up with her flaws. He was exactly the kind of man that she needed in her life and it seemed he had come along at the right time.
 
Alex simply lay at her side for a long while. He knew work would call them away eventually, but he wanted to enjoy the moment while they had it. It was only once the sun had risen far above the horizon that he made a move to rise and gather some clothes.
 
Yasmine was still sound asleep as Alex stood to dress for the day, the sun already bright outside. It was the longest they had slept in a while, but after the stress of their journey home and the care that they had been giving to Brogan, it wasn't any wonder that she was exhausted.

She was also cold, gooseflesh breaking out over her skin as she reached to pull the covers back over herself to make up for the loss of his body warmth. Even the slightest changes in temperature were enough for her to feel.
 
Alex returned to her side shortly to tuck the blankets around her. He leaned down to kiss her cheek before putting on his boots and gathering up his bag. He glanced back at her with one more smile to himself before heading out to check on his cousin.
 
Kate was still asleep when he arrived, the last vestiges of Qira's sedative still working its way out of her system. She looked beyond exhausted, but there was a more rested look on her face. Rissa was tending to the little prince, cradling him against her chest as if he were her own cub. She was speaking to him softly in Erygonian, smiling gently as he seemed to respond to a few words with a soft coo. When he started coughing, she supported him, nuzzling against his tiny face until he stilled.
 
As Alex stepped in and saw this scene, he found himself rather curious. He had seen that there was some close relationship between his cousin, Kell, and the mysterious panther and this woman. "He sounds a bit stronger today," Alex spoke up softly, setting his bag down. "Rissa, isn't it?"
 
"Yes. Rissa. It's short for Clarissa, but I've never liked the sound of my full name." She answered, turning to look at the healer as he entered the room. "He slept well last night. Qira gave him something to settle him and it seems to have done him a world of good."
 
"Qira apparently knows more about herbs than I gave him credit for... then again, I suppose it's in his former profession, like Kell." Alex stepped over to her to take a look at the cub. He knew such skilled former assassins had a wide range of knowledge in poisons, antidotes, sleeping mixes, and painkillers or pain infliction.
 
"He wasn't sure how much to give him. We figured, however, that anything was worth a try." Rissa said as the healer moved to look over little Brogan. "Kell managed to get him to take some of the herbs that were left. Same with Kate. He helped her to drink the tea that Mariko left behind only an hour ago. He wanted to be the one to tend to his family."

She knew the need to take care of Brogan and Kate went so much deeper than simply being a concerned husband. If someone were to try and poison either of them, it wold be when they were both their most vulnerable. She had been there to help as Kell had lifted Kate from the bed, holding her upright as he coaxed the bitter liquid between her lips. Kate's eyes had opened and she had understood what was going on, but she was too exhausted to fight. In fact, she had cried in her husband's arms and Rissa had helped to comfort their queen.

"Her majesty seems deeply wounded. I know this isn't how she imagined any of this happening." Rissa said softly as Brogan protested at something the healer did.
 
"None of us imagined it would ever be this way. It must seem as if everyone needs her at once, and she can't help any of them," Alex murmured, glancing to Kate. "And she can't do a thing for her cub. It seems like no one can... But I haven't lost hope for this little one yet. My mother and grandfather haven't either, and that alone is worth something. My grandfather has a saying... 'There is no such thing as dying. There is only living or dead, and as long as your patient is alive, their life is worth every second and every expense."
 
“We all adore him already.” Rissa said softly as a dark little look settled over Brogan’s face, staring up at the healer as if he could just go away.
 
"You, little cub, are already too much like your mother," Alex chuckled softly, letting Rissa keep Brogan while Alex went to tend to Kate.
 
“Too much like her sometimes.” Rissa said as she cuddled the baby close to her chest.

“I can hear the both of you.” Kate said in an exhausted tone, her green eyes slowly opening to look at Alex. “And I can’t be too mad. You’re not the one that drugged me this time.”
 
"Maybe not, but I condoned it," Alex said with a soft smile. He leaned down to kiss her forehead. "You've got a bit of color back."
 
“I still feel the same. Papa gave me something to help my mood and Mariko gave me something to maybe help my milk come in so I can feed Brogan myself. All it does is make my chest hurt.” Kate said with a sigh as Alex kissed her forehead gently.
 
"I'm going to have Ma look into that. Some women can't produce milk. It's nothing serious." Alex took a seat beside her and began a basic checkup.
 
“Maybe not to a healer but It’s important to someone who is a mother.” Kate said softly. “I want to help my cub in all the ways I possibly can.”
 
"I know you do. But I want you to know that in this particular area, it's alright. We've found good alternatives and he's at least strong enough to get an attitude with me. He's already taking after you."
 
“If I knew I wouldn’t break Kell’s heart, I would give Brogan away. He’s needs a mother that can give him the care that he needs. I’m sure that he will need that care the rest of his life. How can I do that that and be the queen of Scotland?” Kate asked softly, her thoughts lately often dark and brooding.
 
Last edited:
"Maybe take a page from your father's book. Or my mother's. You don't need to give up happiness or family for your work. Divide it out to those you trust, like you and Kell have been doing. Family should come first. I remember, years ago during your first year as queen, you kept insisting that the evenings were for you and your husband alone, barring emergencies. Perhaps you should adopt that policy again. There are so many able and willing advisors and lords who can help make that a reality and free up your time. You can manage, if you stop trying to be everything for everyone. You deserve to be happy."
 
“But I’m not happy.” Kate said softly, looking at Alex with tears in her eyes. “I feel like nothing is getting better and Kell won’t even tell me what is going on with my own troops. I have no idea what’s happening with Scotland.”
 
Back
Top