What went wrong with these?

And there are those who disagree, holding that leaving the comments there shows the commenter controls you. About the second time you delete someone's attempt to slam your story unreasonably (by any standard you choose--the Web site lets you choose), it usually takes the wind out of their sails. They didn't put the comment there to have it disappear. You have the power to delete any comment you don't want there; it you don't use that power, you are giving that power to someone else.

Either way has merit based on the individual. They don't bother me and it is amusing to see other people comment on their comments and make fun of them. Plus in my opinion I think their initial "What do you think of that" rush they get when they leave their spew fades when they see what I thought of it was...nothing

But others see it differently. I have found though that leaving the original up there seems to deter follow ups from them.
 
Coolside, remember that some of our 'readers' get their jollies by tearing down the author regardless of the story content...

i often see postings on long stories before anyone short of a speed reader would have a chance to have read it. because im chapters and chapters into my story there's less spam hating, and the posts that are hateful i have no qualms burning.

there are 'negative' comments that have constructive bits... i once managed to submit the unedited chapter. and there have been... oops where i mix up names or who did what... but getting 'caught' in those oops means a reader really is paying attention.

i can tell you i've liked your stories, and look forward to more.

write for yourself and those who appreciate what you put out. there's always room for improvement, but low raters and haters are always going to be around... don't let them detract from the best place i've found to write and read erotica.

RA
 
I cant recall reading any useful comments, ever. If you wanna start a fuggin war point out a bonafide error.
 
>> This message is hidden because lovecraft68 is on your ignore list.
>> This message is hidden because NOIRTRASH is on your ignore list.

Whatever. ObTopic: I have deleted exactly one comment and immediately wished I had not. I collect comments, all of them, pro and con. They show I have affected someone, literally pushed their button(s) enough for a tangible reaction. A perceptive comment indicates an involved reader. A stupid comment reveals a stupid reader. Whatever.

I sometimes look at the numbers. A story might have 50,000 views and two nasty (like death-wish) comments. I like that ratio. I figure most readers were not too pissed at the story. There really aren't that many fucktard commentators here -- but they are loud.

Yeah, count the nasties-vs-views numbers on your stories. What tiny percentage don't like you?
 
I must thank CoolSideofthePillow for starting this thread because it has answered all of my questions... I am in the same boat: I enjoy writing about very strong female characters and have received similar comments!

I'm new to the site: I've only been contributing since August and so far I have written a measly 5 stories. The latest:

https://www.literotica.com/s/all-girls-together

has been thoroughly slated by some readers in its first 24hours,,, I admit that my main female character is a nasty piece of work: but so what. Are some men really so sexually insecure that they are frightened of strong women???

Thanks for the reasurance and advice that you experienced writers have offered to CoolSideofthePillow, it has helped me greatly also.

All the best,
Writer345
 
I wrote a romance story with a sexier than normal twist. Three horrible comments came up, (anonymously) the first day, not merely negative, but nasty. One said he was so put off by my female character's snootiness, that he stopped reading and gave me a "1".

The whole idea was for our hero to overcome her snootiness to win the girl, (she is pretty standard romance novel stuff) so even though anon gave me a one, he proved I was successful in portraying her.

The second negative was that it took too long for the sex to come around. I figured that one was merely young.

The third comment said my story was too sexy for a "romance" story, which was, as explained in the preface, the whole idea.

Anyway, the story has maintained a consistent score of over 5.7 for two years now, so I guess those two "ones" did not hurt me too much.

I did not find your story that exciting, perhaps a five or six on my peter meter, but then I like my stories kinky and unusual, your seemed a bit ordinary. Different strokes. . .

By the way, I could not find an actual error to criticize, perhaps some issues with style but again. . .
 
Thanks Robert and Writer for your feedback.

I have learned a lesson from this and will try to have a thicker skin about it in the future.
 
I have learned a lesson from this and will try to have a thicker skin about it in the future.
That's mandatory on LIT. The large readership includes a tiny number of vocal assholes & fucktards. Haters gonna hate. I get opposing comments on some stories, some shitting all over some point while others praise the exact same point. I can't please'em all so I don't try.

Other numbers I look at are favorites vs negative comments. If a story has 50,000 views and ten comments, seven negative, and 25 faves, I feel good. I'm more ambivalent about "fave author" votes because I can't tell which tale(s) impelled the love, but I like those too.

What went wrong with your stories? Nothing. Some like'em, some don't. Write for yourself. Or write to piss-off, surprise, or pander to an audience. I include funny stuff that some don't find funny. Their lack of humor is their problem, not mine. Some don't recognize rather obvious irony. Again, not my problem.
 
Other numbers I look at are favorites vs negative comments. If a story has 50,000 views and ten comments, seven negative, and 25 faves, I feel good. I'm more ambivalent about "fave author" votes because I can't tell which tale(s) impelled the love, but I like those too.

I think a point is that if a story has 50,000 reads and a handful of negative comments, you still have every reason to feel good. This isn't a critique site. Readers have no obligation to respond in any way, and the nature of the stories here invites read and leave. 50,000 views (even if we're unsure what that actually represents in terms of separate readers) is a lot of readers.
 
50,000 views (even if we're unsure what that actually represents in terms of separate readers) is a lot of readers.
And that's why I'm on LIT, to grab eyeballs. I used to post nonfiction on sites that *might* have had some hundreds of readers. I tired of crafting words for so few eyeballs. That's only mental masturbation. Sort of like posting poetry on LIT. ;) (I may delete all my verse here. Nobody reads it. Not that I blame them.)
 
The downside is that other people post anonymously for various reasons, and you'd lose those comment as well. You have to decide how much you can/want to deal with.

'Cuz they don't want the trolls to spin around and come after their stories with a handful of 1-bombs for commenting.

Or so I imagine.

rj
 
Keyword in second story: Wife

I learned pretty quickly that if you write a story that has a married woman do anything with anybody other than her husband, the trolls will emerge. I imagine someone saw the title of your second story in the New Stories list and had his (almost undoubtedly a man) one-star rating and nasty comments ready before he even looked at your story.

If you're really lucky, you'll also get some nasty private feedback (anonymous, of course).

...Haters gonna hate, hate, hate,
...Shake it off, Shake it off...

I will now return to writing my Taylor Swift celebrity story.
Maybe she'll fuck some guy's wife.;)
 
It seems I am 'suffering' from a similar experience.

I am new to submitting stories, and do write what I like. Very strong women and a submissive man. I've found it an amusing, liberating and relaxing thing to do.

I was curious to find out from readers whether my writing was readable, especially from people who may be interested in my kinks. Unfortunately, though perhaps not unexpectedly, worthwhile feedback is absent and I seem to have attracted the same trolls.

Oh well, I'm working on the next chapter so the trolls will have another forum soon. I noted the 'post in fetish' comment. I may use this strategy and see what happens.

https://www.literotica.com/s/victorious-victoria
https://www.literotica.com/s/victorious-victoria-ch-02
 
Last edited:
. Sort of like posting poetry on LIT. ;) (I may delete all my verse here. Nobody reads it. Not that I blame them.)

True. You get very few views for poetry. The most I have ever got is just over 20,000 and that has been up for ten years, most are 3000 or less. I have got a couple with less than 1000 views. Poems rarely get red H's these days, because most have less than 10 votes. The one good thing about the poetry board is that the quality of criticism is quite good and the proportion of comments to views is much higher than for most stories.
 
Hi everyone. I'm a long-time site user and a relatively new author. This is my first time posting on the board.

I have a question for some of the more seasoned authors and reviewers on here: what went wrong with these stories?

https://www.literotica.com/s/the-security-guard-fucked-me
https://www.literotica.com/s/the-security-guard-fucked-my-wife

I worked hard on them and thought that they would be good enough to share. However, an anonymous poster (or maybe several different anons) rated them low and posted really nasty comments.

I realize that I can't please everyone. I also know the first rule of internet is "Do not feed the trolls" so I haven't responded or lashed out at those anons. However it made me question what is wrong with my stories to generate such ugly comments.

I would appreciate it if you could review and let me know where specifically I went wrong so that I can avoid comments in the future like "Dude, just stop." and "Worst story ever".

Thanks in advance.
CoolSide

I read the first one, I'll read the second when I have some more free time. I have several responses to your questions.

First, any story in any category is susceptible to trolling. Those comments are not about specifically or your story. Rather, they find their genesis in the insecurities and inadequacies of the comment authors. Don't take them personally, and don't perceive them as in any way valid commentary on your skills.

Second, your story is a perfectly fine example of Nonconsent, however the readership of that category is looking for something else. Over the last few years that category has evolved to the point where only stories involving dominant men and dominated women are considered on-topic. Dominant women are not welcome. If you want to make the top lists, then your story should include a handsome, dominant older male; a younger, attractive unwilling female; it should have a sci-fi or fantasy theme; it should be multi-chaptered; and it should feature a romance between the rebellious female and the roguish male.

I have found that stories with dominant females are better placed in the fetish section. You will get fewer readers, but they are more accepting of femdom themes.

Third, I do have some minor issues with your story. I don't know if it was your writing style or the way your depicted the male character, but the overall passivity of the first half nearly put me to sleep. I normally enjoy a relaxed, unassuming style, but your character's inability to make a decision or articulate what his desires drove me crazy. It got much better when the security guard took over.

Likewise, the first love scene between the male character and his wife lacked steam. Too many adjectives and overly precise description replaced passion and feeling. That scene did not work for me.

The second half of the story was much better. Once the security guard asserted herself, the story heated up. That sex scene was hot. There was emotion. I knew what the characters were feeling.

Bottom line--I enjoyed the story, but I had to work to get to the good part. But that's OK for a first effort. Hardly anyone checks all the boxes the first time out.
 
It's unfortunate that people who write on here don't understand the commenters. Some are just assholes and should be ignored but to delete them is prudish. Shows that the author has no real character and only wants positive feedback.

A real author welcomes all comments and wants everyone to see all comments. But at the same time I would don't see a problem with not allowing anonymous comments. Anyone who wants to leave a comment should be brave enough to leave there handle.

Lastly, there are stories I just don't like but they get high scores from me because they are good stories and well written. I just don't like the theme. Commenters should try to separate liking the story theme vs liking a week written story. Often I will blast the one of the characters because I don't like them. That is not a negative on the story but rather a positive... The author got me to feel strongly enough about a character to make a comment.

OK. Now finally. The commenters who don't li,e cuckold stories and still read them and bash the author for writing them are just idiots. Same as the people who,leave a score of 5 just to counter a 1. The ratings, to me, have no credibility. I used to,only read stories that were rated 4 and above. I started reading some that weren't rated that high and found them quite good so that theory is out the window. When people rate a story as a 1 because they don't like the theme... It ruins the rating system.
 
I must thank CoolSideofthePillow for starting this thread because it has answered all of my questions... I am in the same boat: I enjoy writing about very strong female characters and have received similar comments!

I'm new to the site: I've only been contributing since August and so far I have written a measly 5 stories. The latest:

https://www.literotica.com/s/all-girls-together

has been thoroughly slated by some readers in its first 24hours,,, I admit that my main female character is a nasty piece of work: but so what. Are some men really so sexually insecure that they are frightened of strong women???

Thanks for the reasurance and advice that you experienced writers have offered to CoolSideofthePillow, it has helped me greatly also.

All the best,
Writer345

Don't assume that bashing a character is bashing the story. As you say the character is nasty... I probably would trash the character in a comment... But that is indicative of a good story and writing. It evoked enough emotion in me to comment.
 
Yes, thank you for starting this thread, OP, and to those who have responded. I agree that it is best to look at the ratio of views/votes to negative comments. I deleted two stories that hadn't even been posted after reading some negative comments and have regretted it ever since :( I have also seen another author whose work I really enjoyed withdraw a series for rewriting in response to negatives. The rewrite has never appeared and it was good stuff. Stick with it x
 
LOVED IT and YOU SUCK get old. I turned off anonymous comments, and both stopped. There's nuthin to stop readers from using alts for comments, so I don't buy the all or nuthin thesis.

For 2 years no reader has ever posted one comment that's useful. Its been LOVED IT and YOU SUCK all the way.
 
These are sweeping statements from someone who has written how many stories on Lit? Oh, none.

Probably best not make statements like this in a room full of writers - how would you know anything about an author's character or their personal policy in keeping their writing space the way they want to keep it?

If an ass hat makes a stupid or trolling comment, it's my right to starve them of oxygen. If someone leaves a negative comment that is courteous and considered it will be left, because at least the story triggered a response.


It's unfortunate that people who write on here don't understand the commenters. Some are just assholes and should be ignored but to delete them is prudish. Shows that the author has no real character and only wants positive feedback.

A real author welcomes all comments and wants everyone to see all comments. But at the same time I would don't see a problem with not allowing anonymous comments. Anyone who wants to leave a comment should be brave enough to leave there handle.
 
Yeah, I don't see any evidence that Mdgdallas has a clue what "real authors" want (not that they all want the same thing anyway).
 
Hey, look at that Pilot and me have bonded, at last. Awww, ain't that sweet, it must be Christmas.

I've gotta say, sr71, I did think of you when I wrote ^^^ Maybe I got the advantage of an earlier time zone, I dunno.

Whatever, all of you here on Feedback Central have a good and safe Christmas and New Year, doing whatever and whoever you do. Here in Oz, we're in for another heatwave. 42°C for Xmas day. Fuck that. A bloke cooked a chicken in a car the other day - a slow news day, obviously, but he made page 3.

Yeah, I don't see any evidence that Mdgdallas has a clue what "real authors" want (not that they all want the same thing anyway).
 
Last edited:
These are sweeping statements from someone who has written how many stories on Lit? Oh, none.

Probably best not make statements like this in a room full of writers - how would you know anything about an author's character or their personal policy in keeping their writing space the way they want to keep it?

If an ass hat makes a stupid or trolling comment, it's my right to starve them of oxygen. If someone leaves a negative comment that is courteous and considered it will be left, because at least the story triggered a response.

I don't have to be a writer on here to understand receiving comments and how they should be handled.

And absolutely it is your right to do as you please on here. It just has the potential to make you look like an ass. So with your right comes responsibility and self description.

Besides. Some of the best comments are the stupid and trolling comments because they are the ones that make me laugh the most. Do you not think that most people can see the ass hats for what they are? I think I can do a pretty good job of it because they are so damn transparent.
 
Yeah, I don't see any evidence that Mdgdallas has a clue what "real authors" want (not that they all want the same thing anyway).

OK. Maybe I should have said I would think any real author....

No I don't write on here. But I do speak a lot in public and get plenty of comments for that so yes I do understand getting, needing, and wanting comments on my abilities.

It is my opinion that authors who delete negative posts get a lower opinion rating from me.

Besides, some of the posts are just stupidly funny.
 
Back
Top