Ok I'm new, but are most comments generally this hostile?

Everyone agrees that the comments (as well as the ratings) in LW are the worst on the site. But for those that think its an anonymous issue it isn't. On my stories in LW I have both positive and negative anonymous comments as well as positive and negative from logged in users. Also as others have pointed out it isn't like our account name identifies us in the real world and the site is designed for the readers not the writers. If the primary concern was to protect the feelings/ego of the most sensitive writers it would be different but that would make the site less popular and I doubt that's what ownership wants.

I don't think the issue is sensitive writers; it certainly is not in my case. The issue is homophobic readers who express their homophobia through their comments in the LW section. And making the assumption that because the category is loving wives, the women should all be pansexual for the entertainment of their husbands and do whatever he deems appropriate, no matter how demeaning, while insisting the husbands enjoy only hetero sex is hetero-normative (a bad thing, IMO) and a value judgement readers do not have the right to impose on me as a writer.

I don't think the issue is sensitive writers; it certainly is not in my case. The issue is homophobic readers who express their homophobia through their comments in the LW section. And making the assumption that because the category is loving wives, the women should all be pansexual for the entertainment of their husbands and do whatever he deems appropriate, no matter how demeaning, while insisting the husbands enjoy only hetero sex is hetero-normative (a bad thing, IMO) and a value judgement readers do not have the right to impose on me as a writer.

The categories are what the readers want them to be. You are best off finding the right niche to post in -- unless, of course, you actually want to present your stories to a hostile audience. Some people do.

People who are concerned about the hostility of commenters should, IMO, keep a few things in mind:

1. It's not true (in my experience, and in the experience of a lot other writers here at Lit), that the majority of commenters, even anonymous commenters, are hostile. It's human nature to notice the bad comments and let them loom large in the mind. But that doesn't mean that trolls predominate. Most readers and commenters at this site are perfectly OK.

2. The existence of a few bad eggs and trolls here on Lit mirrors the existence of bad eggs and trolls everywhere. If you want to be a writer, and you want to drop your works out there into the stream of the publishing world, you're going to catch some shit. Some people will hate your stuff. Lit just reflects that basic societal fact and gives you a taste of it.

3. Even if you don't delete the bad comments yourself, they may be deleted. I have never deleted a single comment, despite having received some doozies. But quite a few of them have been deleted by site management. Be patient, and the crap may sink while the good stuff may rise to the surface.

4. The more you write, the more you will be able to put the absurdity of troll comments in perspective, and the less they will bother you. So be patient and keep writing.

Authors post stories here for various reasons. Money ain't one of them. Some expect payment in views, votes, faves, comments, PMs, any feedback. Some obsess over it. Some authors are just here for the lulz. Some are here to hone their craft. Whatever.

I first posted to get scores. I learned they don't really matter, not to me. Any feedback is IMHO better than none. It means I've provoked a response. Grabbing eyeballs is fine. Inciting comments is better.

I was prompted to originally post because of the contention by some that anonymous comments are somehow worse than other comments, a position I disagree with.

As far as sensitive writers, I'm not singling anyone out, including yourself, or any category, though people in LW are the most vitriolic. But to my mind a lot of writers (not just here) don't handle negative criticism (or plain nastiness) well, whether justified or pure trollishness.

Also I don't understand how a reader can impose a value judgment on a writer. They can vote and/or comment and give their opinion. The score is what it is and you as a writer are free to ignore whatever they say or take it to heart depending on your reaction to it. Nothing is being imposed upon you. You don't have to follow their dictates and if a comment offends your values you're free to delete it.

I don't get the way readers here get so bent out of shape about how a story doesn't belong in "their" particular category, LW being the worst, it's not that way at some other sites but it is what it is. As far as the nastiness - that is everywhere on the internet no matter what type of site. If you allow comments trolls will comment. People feel emboldened by typing out some words and hitting submit or whatever. Look at twitter - that can be worse than LW.

You must have deleted the bad comments, which is fine.

You wrote a story with a lead character who is a stereotypical wimp who doesn’t fight back when his girlfriend and male friend shit on him. You also expose the supposedly heterosexual lead character as a happy cocksucker. All that is fine if that’s what turns you on.

But the reader usually identifies with the lead character in a story, so you are in effect asking the reader to enjoy being shit on. It’s not surprising you got tough comments.

If you wrote the SAME STORY from the perspective of the black friend, I think your comments would be much more approving. Readers are going to be happier identifying with a stud who steals a hot chick from a wimp.

Moral of the story: if you don’t want readers to write shitty comments, don’t ask them to identify with a wimp who has shit on his head.

PS — I got good ratings and positive comments for my story in the Loving Wives category, and I’m sure the main reason is that I wrote the story from the perspective of the “other man” who is fucking a cheating wife. Almost always those stories are told from the husband’s sad ass perspective, and the ratings and comments can be brutal. It’s literally all a matter of perspective.

The responses on my Nude Day contest entry today show why blocking anonymous comments can be wrong.

Yes, Anon has given some short negative ones but Anon has also provided some positive and critical ones.

For a story put in the Loving Wives category, the anonymous responses have been more polite than one might expect. :D

I was prompted to originally post because of the contention by some that anonymous comments are somehow worse than other comments, a position I disagree with.

As far as sensitive writers, I'm not singling anyone out, including yourself, or any category, though people in LW are the most vitriolic. But to my mind a lot of writers (not just here) don't handle negative criticism (or plain nastiness) well, whether justified or pure trollishness.

Also I don't understand how a reader can impose a value judgment on a writer. They can vote and/or comment and give their opinion. The score is what it is and you as a writer are free to ignore whatever they say or take it to heart depending on your reaction to it. Nothing is being imposed upon you. You don't have to follow their dictates and if a comment offends your values you're free to delete it.

I don't get the way readers here get so bent out of shape about how a story doesn't belong in "their" particular category, LW being the worst, it's not that way at some other sites but it is what it is. As far as the nastiness - that is everywhere on the internet no matter what type of site. If you allow comments trolls will comment. People feel emboldened by typing out some words and hitting submit or whatever. Look at twitter - that can be worse than LW.

That's funny you say that anonymous comments aren't worse than other comments. I guess I'm making it up when I receive hostile, non-constructive comments from the anon trolls and I receive zero of those hostile, non-constructive comments from people that comment with their username.

Most of you guys love the anonymous commenting. Fine. But I think it's really fucked up that writers on here have to put up with this BS "feedback" when they don't get paid a cent for their writing and they are doing it out of their own free time and will. It's really quite disgusting and pathetic. I feel bad for all of these anonymous haters because they clearly hate themselves so much that they have to put down someone else's good story. I bet you they couldn't even write a decent story if they tried.

And that's what really bothers me about the anon users commenting. If you say my story is shit, I want to see your writing, then. Let me see how AMAZING and PERFECT it is. Fucking cowards.

I've had a shitty life and you don't see me being a fucking asshole. I am so done with this vitriolic comments.

To the OP: screw this site and go on LushStories. Go on WordPress. Go on Medium. Share your writing on Tumblr. No writer deserves this treatment.

Also

Also FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PUT MORE CATEGORIES IN YOUR FUCKING STORIES. Thank you. There are some people that identify as bisexual, not straight or gay, but bisexual, you know? Yeah, bisexuals exist. We're not mythical creatures.

Most of you guys love the anonymous commenting. Fine. But I think it's really fucked up that writers on here have to put up with this BS "feedback" when they don't get paid a cent for their writing and they are doing it out of their own free time and will.

We don't have to put up with it. If you don't like it then just disable comments. But haven't you already done that? Why are you still going on about it?

It's really quite disgusting and pathetic. I feel bad for all of these anonymous haters because they clearly hate themselves so much that they have to put down someone else's good story. I bet you they couldn't even write a decent story if they tried.

If Mr. and Mrs. anonymous were spending a lot of time putting down my story (posted somewhere other than LW) then I'd consider that maybe the story wasn't so good.

And that's what really bothers me about the anon users commenting. If you say my story is shit, I want to see your writing, then. Let me see how AMAZING and PERFECT it is. Fucking cowards.

There's no reason why a reader needs to be a writer in order to express an opinion about what he/she has read. I don't know about others, but I actually value reader's non-technical gut reactions to my stories.

I've had a shitty life and you don't see me being a fucking asshole. I am so done with this vitriolic comments.

To the OP: screw this site and go on LushStories. Go on WordPress. Go on Medium. Share your writing on Tumblr. No writer deserves this treatment.

What makes you think we don't see you being a fucking asshole?

We don't have to put up with it. If you don't like it then just disable comments. But haven't you already done that? Why are you still going on about it?

If Mr. and Mrs. anonymous were spending a lot of time putting down my story (posted somewhere other than LW) then I'd consider that maybe the story wasn't so good.

There's no reason why a reader needs to be a writer in order to express an opinion about what he/she has read. I don't know about others, but I actually value reader's non-technical gut reactions to my stories.
Yep. I agree these points every time I hear the little lambs bleat. If I was regularly getting pummelled by anon negativity to the extent some folk appear to cop it, I reckon I'd be looking at the common denominator, me.

I've been around Lit three years or so, and my observation is folk will tell you when writing is very good or very bad, but there will be silence when it's ordinary.

Also FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PUT MORE CATEGORIES IN YOUR FUCKING STORIES. Thank you. There are some people that identify as bisexual, not straight or gay, but bisexual, you know? Yeah, bisexuals exist. We're not mythical creatures.

You're not wrong, and for those who colour outside the category lines, anonymous abuse (not criticism) will always be a reality, until we have the ability to turn off anons. I don't see why you couldn't have that as a feature. Turn it off locally, not for the entire site. Then those who receive constructive anon comments can leave it on, and those who dare to write anything that sets off the homophobes or the otherwise easily-triggered can set and forget. Force those fucks to create accounts to leave their drivel, and they'll soon dry up and leave you alone. And if they don't, let us block them so they have to create another account.

Those are the tools we need to clean up the abuse. Abuse is not 'freedom of speech', it's abuse, and it's not indicative of a writer's quality of writing (necessarily). And even if it were, fostering a culture of abuse is hardly helpful.

I see you've moved your writing off the site fully now - I hope you have a better experience, and get more constructive feedback there.

439 votes and 19 comments by day 2 of my Nude Day entry. I think that is a record for an oggbashan story.

I certainly can't complain about a lack of response.:rolleyes:

Thanks to all who voted and commented because no votes and no comments can be very disheartening.

Some didn't like the story. Some didn't like the story in Loving Wives. Yes, some comments are hostile but some people liked the story.

You're not wrong, and for those who colour outside the category lines, anonymous abuse (not criticism) will always be a reality, until we have the ability to turn off anons. . . . those who dare to write anything that sets off the homophobes or the otherwise easily-triggered can set and forget. Force those fucks to create accounts to leave their drivel, and they'll soon dry up and leave you alone. And if they don't, let us block them so they have to create another account.

Those are the tools we need to clean up the abuse. Abuse is not 'freedom of speech', it's abuse, and it's not indicative of a writer's quality of writing (necessarily). And even if it were, fostering a culture of abuse is hardly helpful.
Like Jason said !

439 votes and 19 comments by day 2 of my Nude Day entry. I think that is a record for an oggbashan story.

Thanks to all who voted and commented because no votes and no comments can be very disheartening.

Some didn't like the story. Some didn't like the story in Loving Wives. Yes, some comments are hostile but some people liked the story.

The advantage of posting in LW is you will get traffic, and if you can put up with a few negative comments and votes it may be worth it.

I do not intend to detract from your very skilled writing and the comments it evokes, but laying it out as troll bait in LW and then citing the comments you've received as evidence that not all negative anon comments are bad skews the trajectory of this thread somewhat. I believe the specific negative comments (at least the ones I was referring to) by anon were the ones clearly based in homophobia. Yes, you would think the Femdom element of yours might tweak the same "under the bridge" characters, but there is nothing quite like the caustic and irrational diatribe of a homophobe.

... I believe the specific negative comments (at least the ones I was referring to) by anon were the ones clearly based in homophobia. Yes, you would think the Femdom element of yours might tweak the same "under the bridge" characters, but there is nothing quite like the caustic and irrational diatribe of a homophobe.

Yes - my femdom stories do attract caustic, irrational and stupid comments but those anons seem to be frightened of any female characters who are not mindlessly submissive.

Homophobia? I don't tend to get those sort of comments perhaps because I don't write Gay Male or Lesbian stories.

I do get anon comments that make me think that the person leaving them has serious issues understanding the difference between fiction and reality, or that they feel they have been short-changed on a free site.

Don't fret over insanely negative comments. Fucktards don't know you, don't know where you live, can't do diddly but whine, and can be deleted. I still get negatives on my back catalog. I'm just happy they're being read.

I mean, wow, my first story here, and Chapter 3 has generated some serious hate and hostility, in only a few comments.. One person even practically wrote a story of comments telling me how bad my story is .. lol.

My question- I know that my kinks and story (soon to be stories) are controversial, but I've read some really, really messed up stuff far worse than mine on here, is what I'm writing (story line) really so horrible?

I understand your frustration. Been there. Done that. I'm doing it again.

I'm not an editor or critic, but if you want an objective opinion feel free to PM me. You'll hit your stride and/or find your own style. There's always the right audience for the right writer and author.

I welcome controversy. Don't let nay sayers get you down. It's a tough world and you have to be tough with it.

I'm very optimistic, yet tend to be negative when reviewing my own material.

Keep trying man. That's all you can do.

Again, my door is always open.

Last edited:
cant believe how nasty some comments are

I can't believe the nasty comments that I did get on my story that I published in Loving wives. I am waiting to hear from Literotica because I have asked for the story to be removed.
There must be some really nasty people out there with too much time on their hands, who are don't have "loving wives" in their lives and want everyone to be down at their level.
I have other stories ready to go but I dont think I will ever put them up on literotica!!!

I can't believe the nasty comments that I did get on my story that I published in Loving wives. I am waiting to hear from Literotica because I have asked for the story to be removed.
There must be some really nasty people out there with too much time on their hands, who are don't have "loving wives" in their lives and want everyone to be down at their level.
I have other stories ready to go but I dont think I will ever put them up on literotica!!!

Sharing stories enhances creativity .
Honest feedback helps writes evolve .
I would love to read your story
Not all litsters are aggressive /harsh .
Cheer up

Don't be put off by the LW reaction, you were a babe in the woods to put a newbie story there. Other categories are far less hostile.

Stick around AH a bit, you'll get a better handle on how to manage the dynamics of Lit - on the whole we're an approachable lot.

Back