Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a whole range of different accents and dialects in France, as there are different ways of speaking American. You would never confuse a Texan with someone from Boston.

And you would certainly never mistake a Mississippian speaking French for a Frenchman. One of the men in my college French course was from Mississippi. "Ewww sah trewwwve lah gaaaahr?" is a sample.

I've never heard French with an Australian accent, but French with an accent from the United State's Deep South was a shocker.
 
Og, I have never seen a stone quern before, or if I did I didn't realize it was a grinder at the time. That does look somewhat difficult. Thanks for the picture, it helps immensely.

quercitron - noun 1. an oak 2. the bark of this oak rich in tannin and yellow coloring matter and used in tanning and dyeing
 
The French word wins for beauty, once again. Caterpillar is an odd one, at best. Quockerwodger still takes the cake, as far as odd goes, though.

quell(1) - vt 1. to put down: SUPPRESS 2. QUIET, PACIFY

quell(2) - noun archaic: KILLING, SLAUGHTER; also: the power of quelling
 
Whence the name of the city Albuquerque, or "White Oak".

We used to live in Albuquerque... my daughter was born there... I can tell you the city was not named after "White Oak" but rather Beltrán de la Cueva Duque de "Alburquerque" AKA 1st Spain Spanish Duke of Alburquerque... note the difference in spelling
 
Hello everyone, my server was down all day. I decided I had to post this one, even though it is often-used;

queer(1) - adj 1.a. differing in some odd way from what is usual or normal b. (1) ECCENTRIC. UNCONVENTIONAL (2) mildly insane: TOUCHED c. OBSESSED, HIPPED d. slang; sexually deviate: HOMOSEXUAL 2.a. slang: WORTHLESS, COUNTERFEIT b. QUESTIONABLE, SUSPICIOUS 3. not quite well: QUEASY
 
A portmanteau is a large suitcase.

A portmanteau word is a blending of two words to make a new word.

Some portmanteau words:

smoke + fog = smog
breakfast + lunch = brunch
biology + electronic = bionic
glamour + ritz = glitz
motor + cavalcade = motorcade
travel + monologue = travelogue
marionette + puppet = Muppet​
 
Another portmaneau word: HMS Zubian.

There were two tribal class destroyers, HMS Zulu and HMS Nubian. They were both severely damaged so were cut in half and welded back together to make one ship HMS Zubian.
 
Someone really should have made a movie about that by now.

Imagine two brothers -- one aboard HMS Nubian and another aboard HMS Zulu -- both beached, only to meet on the HMS Zubian, and join forces to sink a U-boat before the First World War ends.

I also like that the beam sizes of the two ships didn’t match. :D



HMS Zubian
 
Last edited:
Today we shall discuss unnatural things:


1. uxorious adj. (Latin: "of or pertaining to a wife" from uxor "wife") Overly devoted or submissive to one's wife.

Bob can never be too uxorious to suit his wife.


2. Zebroid n. the offspring of a zebra and any equine.

The different hybrids are generally named using a portmanteau convention of the sire's name added to the dam's name. A domesticated sire bred to a zebra dam would produce a zebra hinny or donkra, a zebrule or golden zebra, a horbra, hebra, zebrinny or zebret. The offspring of a zebra sire and a domesticated dam is called a zedonk, zebrule, or a zorse, even a zony – in some cases, a “Zetlands.”

The crosses never take place in nature, and the resulting animal is usually sterile. They have been bred since the 19th century. Charles Darwin noted several zebra hybrids in his works.

[Wikipedia]
 
Hello everyone, I am finally back online. Hooray!

A diversion into construction;

queen truss - noun a truss framed with queen posts
 
Having skipped over these entries, Queen's Counsel, Queen's Birthday, queen regnant, queen regent, queen post, queen olive, queen mother and queen consort, I arrived at;

Queen Anne's lace - noun WILD CARROT
 
Notable only for its length, and practically useless in any other guise is: honorificabilitudinitatibus, which more succinctly put means “of honor.”

Nonetheless, this fine strapping word has appeared in the works of William Shakespeare, in “Love’s Labour Lost.”

Moth. [Aside to COSTARD.] They have been at a great feast of languages, and stolen the scraps.

Cost. O! they have lived long on the almsbasket of words. I marvel thy master hath not eaten thee for a word; for thou art not so long by the head as honorificabilitudinitatibus: thou art easier swallowed than a flap-dragon.

Since “Anonymous” has recently had its initial release at the Toronto Film Festival, I should mention that amongst anti-Stratfordians who believe Shakespeare’s works were actually written by Francis Bacon, the word is claimed as one of their proofs, since honorificabilitudinitatibus is an anagram for “hi ludi, F. Baconis nati, tuiti orbi,” which means “these plays, F. Bacon's offspring, are preserved for the world.”

James Joyce also used honorificabilitudinitatibus in “Ulysses,” but apparently he was only quoting Shakespeare.
 
Virtual, I concur that Sir Francis Bacon, first illegitimate child of the Virgin Queen and son of Robert Dudley, Master of the Horse, was indeed, William Shakespeare. To shake one's spear meant to masturbate. "Will I am (a) shakespear?" could be yet another one of his ingenious play on words. Good ole Francis basically translated the Bible into the King James version, as well. He happens to be my most favorite historical English person. And, it is said, he ultimately faked his own death, attended his own funeral, moved to the Carpathian Mountains of Transylvania and ascended into the spiritual master, St. Germaine. What a tale that would be to tell.

quaver - vi 1. TREMBLE, SHAKE 2. TRILL 3. to utter sound in tremulous tones
 
Actually, I consider those anti-Stratfordian's theories to be elitist nonsense or twaddle, but if it inspires more people to actually read Shakespeare and attend his plays, I’d be willing to pretend I believed Shakespeare’s plays were written by Guy Fawkes, you know, the fellow this ubiquitous mask represents.

guy-fawkes.jpg


Which brings me to my word:

Hypotheses: noun

1. a supposition made on the basis of limited evidence from which one conducts further investigation intended to prove or disprove.

2. in philosophy, a proposition made as a basis for reasoning.
 
Actually, I consider those anti-Stratfordian's theories to be elitist nonsense or twaddle, but if it inspires more people to actually read Shakespeare and attend his plays, I’d be willing to pretend I believed Shakespeare’s plays were written by Guy Fawkes, you know, the fellow this ubiquitous mask represents.

...

I think you gain even more if you try to perform Shakespeare's plays.

Og (once an odd-job amateur actor who did the smallest Shakespearean parts including monk, spear-carrier, messenger, etc. when not being a scene-shifter and prop finder.)
 
Virtual, I concur that Sir Francis Bacon, first illegitimate child of the Virgin Queen and son of Robert Dudley, Master of the Horse, was indeed, William Shakespeare.

An excellent sense of humour displayed there, I think.

Actually, I consider those anti-Stratfordian's theories to be elitist nonsense or twaddle,

Which brings me to my word:

Hypotheses:

Why the plural of the word hypothesis ?
 
Hurry-whore - A harlot ever walking (also associated with short-time - a brief copulation with a prostitute) So a hurry-whore barely stops walking long enough for a fuck. [Dictionary of Historical Slang]
 
Well, I did research Sir Francis Bacon quite extensively and I do believe he is the first illegitimate child of Queen Elizabeth and Robert Dudley, with Essex as the second son from their union, both of which were denied the throne, causing great bitterness between the Virgin Queen and her sons. Who better to ridicule royalty than one denied his birthright for political reasons?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that people used to believe the world to be flat and one could fall off the end...

Hurry-whore defines itself. I love words like that.

queasy also queazy - adj 1. full of doubt: HAZARDOUS 2.a. causing nausea b. NAUSEATED 3.a. causing uneasiness b. (1) DELICATE, SQUEAMISH (2) ill at ease
 
Yes, Og, my deceased husband used to love to read up on those folks. They must have loved the Pirates of the Caribbean movie, At World's End, because Hollywood verified their limited outlook.

Funny how people support and defend erroneous thinking and believing. I could be accused of said behavior, especially in regard to alien races visiting Earth, but, once again, I do not believe it to be erroneous thinking in the first place. Which brings me back to my favorite catch-all phrase, "Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one."

quay - noun a stretch of paved bank or a solid artificial landing place beside navigable water for convenience in loading and unloading ships

quayage - noun 1. a charge for use of a quay 2. a room on or for quays 3. a system of quays

quayside - noun land bordering on a quay
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top