The 750 Word Project

Okay, I should have said: Everything happens continuously in one place...

Yeah, ok. I don't really have a formal definition of a "scene", but if I did this would be pretty close. I never said it couldn't be done or has never been done. I'm sure it can and has. It just seems to me to be one of those things that sounds easy at first, but then turns out to be kind of tricky once you try to do it.

Yeah, ok. I don't really have a formal definition of a "scene", but if I did this would be pretty close. I never said it couldn't be done or has never been done. I'm sure it can and has. It just seems to me to be one of those things that sounds easy at first, but then turns out to be kind of tricky once you try to do it.
Turning a seamless scene into an entire story that follows a classic arc doesn't seem too tricky. It's a chamber drama. And for simple strokers, no problem -- a "zipless fuck" narrative will do. To make it interesting, ironically end with an O.Henry twist. That's only slightly tricky, essentially a dirty joke.

Turning a seamless scene into an entire story that follows a classic arc doesn't seem too tricky. It's a chamber drama. And for simple strokers, no problem -- a "zipless fuck" narrative will do. To make it interesting, ironically end with an O.Henry twist. That's only slightly tricky, essentially a dirty joke.

I imagine that something like 80% of one-scene erotica stories would be in bed. Keeping the repertoire fresh could be an issue.

Eh, if it works, it works. I've won three contests on here, all of them with stories where the sex happens in bed.

I don't doubt that a bit. We could have another discussion on whether or not a lot readers here like same old/same old. The stories I reviewed for submitting tomorrow have them doing it in bed but also on a beach towel, on the backseat of a Mercedes sedan, on a dining room table, hanging from a ceiling, on the roof of a yacht cabin, on the floor, over the toilet, on an office desk, against a high-rise building glass wall out over a street . . .

Last edited:
I don't doubt that a bit. We could have another discussion on whether or not a lot readers here like same old/same old. The stories I reviewed for submitting tomorrow has them doing it in bed but also on a beach towel, on the backseat of a Mercedes sedan, on a dining room table, hanging from a ceiling, on the roof of a yacht cabin, on the floor, over the toilet, on an office desk against a high-rise building glass wall out over a street . . .

KeithD going all Green Eggs and Ham over here.

Would you fuck them in a house?
Would you fuck them with a mouse?

Cable or wireless?
One of my fave XMas gifts (from a savvy in-law) was an silver-plated wired mouse with my name inscribed. Much easier for erotic play than a trackball would be, but maybe not as intrusive as a light pen.

Would you fuck him with a light pen?
Would you do it again and again?
Would you force him with a gerbil?
Even if your tongue went purple?
Would your orifices open wide
If offered a hyperbolic ride?
Do your juices freely flow
When you answer, "I don't know?"

Continue for 750 words. Maybe post under an alt, for safety.

They don't like my entries

Currently my two entries are rated as 2.57 and 3.30. :eek:

Currently my two entries are rated as 2.57 and 3.30. :eek:

I’m glad (sorry lol) it isn’t just me who got trolled, I have a 3.08.

My worst start for a story too. And no comments yet that might give a clue as to why.

3.40 myself. I don’t think this will be a high scoring affair.

And they just got swept. I went from 10 votes to 6 and my score shot up to something closer to typical. I guess some troll out there really loves their long reads and wants to discourage this sort of thing.

Possibility: Perhaps most LIT readers don't care for ultra-short author exercises.

And they just got swept. I went from 10 votes to 6 and my score shot up to something closer to typical. I guess some troll out there really loves their long reads and wants to discourage this sort of thing.

My first vote was a 1. It looks like it was the same with a lot of other folks.

And a Harddaysnight said in the comments that "I fear that Chloe may believe that Clique and Schmeek rhyme.".....

And he's right. I did. Oooohhhh. I thought that Clique (cleek) and schmeek did rhyme. So I read your comments and Webster says "klik". My baaaaad. I always thought is was kleek and that's how I've always said it.:eek:

Love all the stories and yes, I think really short stories get rated low - there's no time to achieve complete reader satisfaction... :D

Mine's doing okay, despite two very stupid errors on my part :mad: 1) A 'dam' bursts open...not a 'damn'. 2) nipples get 'taut' not 'taught' :eek: Two homophones very appropriately brought to my attention in a very kind way. Quite embarrassing considering it's only 750 words :eek:

I read several last night late when they came out. Really interesting to see how different folks approached this. Ogg, I thought the lesbian spiders was one of the better ones I read. I've tried a couple of attempts at humor and they didn't go over as well as I thought they would :confused:

Except for the two boo-boos, I'm pleased with mine. It looks like I took a little more of a poetic/mystical approach. The ones I read were written more in a "story" style, and I was amazed out how complete some of them were...almost like there were more than 750 words in some of them.

Regardless of outcome, it was a fun break from the routine.

Stats so far: 1.6 k hits, 4.04/51 votes, 3 comments

750 word post mortum

I thought you guys might find this interesting.

So at last count, we have 75 stories submitted, which is a lot.

So many in the Loving Wives section, that it pretty much pushed every other recently submitted story off the main landing page, which screwed with some people who put up stories for the Valentines Day competition. I'm really sorry about that; that was never my intention, it's more a side effect of how Lit's UI is designed.

I think in future, if we do something like this again, we need to work with Laurel and Manu to figure out some way to avoid that. Making other people pay for our own success isn't nice.

Scoring also hasn't been that great. I think that there's several reasons for that. One is that I think some readers feel gypped. 750 words is not a lot, and I think some readers felt let down that there isn't 'more' to read, so to speak.

I also have to apologize in that I suspect my name associated with this event - or, indeed any of the lit writing events in general - caused some maladjusted individuals to 1 bomb. The people I speak to in terms of other authors here have all seen one (or more) 1 bombers who use the TOR browser to repeatedly vote 1 star on stories, to manipulate the voting down. Just to 'teach us a lesson' (although what the lesson is, is beyond me.)

There was a comment I got on my Roses are Black story - one of the first,- which was VERY angry about the whole experience (I have since deleted it, since it was just abusive), and I've received a similarly worded anon email too.

I suspect there are very frustrated and angry people out there who have it in for anyone their perceive as part of a writers clique, and who will take it out on anyone they associate with that clique, and I'm definitely a target for that.

Which means by association, those who are part of the 750 word project may well get the same treatment.

Now, to be clear, we have some very weird stories too, and some that perhaps aren't quite a 4.7 rating anyway, but still. I apologize that association with me may have cost some of you some 1 star reviews.

Back