Erotic Horror and Mind Control? Additional "hard rules" to be concerned about?

Maeven_quinn

Really Really Experienced
Erotic Horror and Mind Control? Additional "hard rules" to be concerned about?

So after the long thread about the hard rule on minors, I thought I'd check on this particular category.

I did two shorts for NaNoWriMo this past november. Both would be classified as Erotic Horror and Mind control. The longer story in particular is a "villain wins" scenario. The main character possesses the bodies of her slaves and takes a particular delight in brainwashing captives.

I've submitted the comparatively tamer erotic horror story already. It's still pending. I've read a few of the mind-control stories here as well as the non-con stories to get a feel for what's acceptable.

Are there any hard and fast rules when getting into mind control, which I suppose is also non-con?

I see MC as a NonCon sub-genre of F&SF because it only happens by magic or superior technology (same thing, said Clarke). MC is quite not my cup of chai unless the MC'er pays/suffers for their control. EH is IMHO another F&SF sub-genre but with relaxed limits.

The basic NonCon rule is: victims must eventually enjoy being raped. The prize-winning EH story I edited skipped that -- the succubus drained and killed victims quite painfully. If a demon drains life-force but is not sexually aroused, I guess it's technically not LIT-banned snuff.

Submit tame and not-tame pieces and see what's accepted or rejected. You can always rewrite.

I see MC as a NonCon sub-genre of F&SF because it only happens by magic or superior technology (same thing, said Clarke). MC is quite not my cup of chai unless the MC'er pays/suffers for their control. EH is IMHO another F&SF sub-genre but with relaxed limits.

That's a good way to look at it.

The basic NonCon rule is: victims must eventually enjoy being raped. The prize-winning EH story I edited skipped that -- the succubus drained and killed victims quite painfully. If a demon drains life-force but is not sexually aroused, I guess it's technically not LIT-banned snuff.

Submit tame and not-tame pieces and see what's accepted or rejected. You can always rewrite.

My shorter story definitely fulfills the basic rule.

The second longer story? Not so much. The story ends with a unpunished villain. I guess I'll submit that and see what happens next.

There is a wider berth in Erotic Horror than in most categories. It's horror, so bad things are expected to happen. The good guys don't always win.

Trying to figure out where the line is in EH is a crapshoot, honestly. Especially with such a basic description. If you feel it fits the horror genre, then that's probably where it belongs, and its the best chance of an especially dark story being accepted.

The only way you'll know for sure is to go for it, and if it does get rejected, try to suss out where the line is based upon the rejection notice.

Nobody gets banned here for crossing the content lines in a story submission. The story gets rejected, and that's the end of it.

Nobody gets banned here for crossing the content lines in a story submission. The story gets rejected, and that's the end of it.
And very often stories get accepted with minimal rework, when authors think, "Gee, what I thought was essential to my story wasn't quite so vital, after all. I'll just tweak these little bits and try again."

Back