Writing Goal for the Day?

Met my goals through the weekend last night (actually, at 4 am this morning): mainstream mystery final review off to publisher; habu GM "first times" Anthology Beyond the Beaded Curtain final review off to the publisher; monthly quota of Christmas cards painted; mainstream anthology compilation up to date; Summer Lovin' entry back from editor and corrections done. Now it's off for a tennis tournament in D.C. for the long weekend.

Love to get something written today, but with having to work at 1:30 to 10 PM and having a 2 KM walk each way, I doubt I'll get anything written today!

My pointy headed buddy with the gunboat shoes gave me an idea for a character name, hows about LAURA LOVESCRAFTS.

Moved the tale along a wee bit. Like a bottle of pennies, every penny of prose adds up if you toss one into the bottle every day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm on my fourth and final review of my novel before I launch it this Wednesday (my wife's b-day, hoping the little minx brings me some luck).

Right now I have one thing to say.

Fuck these assholes! I'm sick of my own characters! Fuck mark, and Allison and Justine and screw The Circle and their rules and who the fuck was the genius who thought they could write a scene featuring twelve characters?

Grrr. I've definitely reached the point where I see what people mean by over editing. I'm convinced I could go through this thing 20 times and keep finding things to edit, add or change.

Right now I'm on page 307 of 550 and I'm hoping to be done by tomorrow afternoon.

I'm on my fourth and final review of my novel before I launch it this Wednesday (my wife's b-day, hoping the little minx brings me some luck).

Right now I have one thing to say.

Fuck these assholes! I'm sick of my own characters! Fuck mark, and Allison and Justine and screw The Circle and their rules and who the fuck was the genius who thought they could write a scene featuring twelve characters?

Grrr. I've definitely reached the point where I see what people mean by over editing. I'm convinced I could go through this thing 20 times and keep finding things to edit, add or change.

Right now I'm on page 307 of 550 and I'm hoping to be done by tomorrow afternoon.

I got the perfect cure for your problem. I'll get it and post it here in a jiffy.

We left Virginia Beach VA at 10 am yesterday. We arrived at home 14.5 hours later! That's not a good trip, since it should have taken us only 10 hours, 11 tops!! So much traffic!!

Today's goal is to pick through the ideas I've had during the week and see what will make a good short story, which will be good novels.

We left Virginia Beach VA at 10 am yesterday. We arrived at home 14.5 hours later! That's not a good trip, since it should have taken us only 10 hours, 11 tops!! So much traffic!!

Today's goal is to pick through the ideas I've had during the week and see what will make a good short story, which will be good novels.

My parents live near the Jersey shore, and I hate to say it but I don't like visiting them in the summer, as it's always a challenge to avoid traffic. We'd be going with the traffic flow; if they come to see us, they go against in. On the other hand, we don't have the beach.

Goal for today: get new cell phones for me and Mr Penn.

Writing goal: maybe later.

I live a mile from the beach and havent laid eyes on it in 30 years. In fact, I visit a fleamarket thats maybe 500 feet from the Gulf yet never see it.

I'd be happy to just open up a new story page on my lappie.
I will.
One of these days I will write again.

Had a sweet plot bunny pop into my noodle earlier. Gotta file it for a while, till I finish the Lucy and Ethel tale.

Be it ever so humble, I added today's installment to the pile. No excuses!

Re-read a few chapters from George V. Higgins writing book, ON WRITING. He talks about all the problems larval writers have: writers block, excuses, hurt feelings, etc., and adds that it took him 17 years to publish his first novel, and it was a huge success that included a movie. His 2nd book was published 40 years ago, and Brad Pitt stars in the movie version being released this Fall. The race doesnt go to the swift. Higgins eventually published something like 33 books.

Editors are stupid and heartless, and every publisher is hot to buy books like last years bestseller.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently posted my first mind control story, http://www.literotica.com/s/creating-georges-mystery - a 1919 word shortie that was light on sex. It received two very nice comments, but horrible scores. Oh well.

Working on a new mind control story. I like how it's coming together but it's begging to be bigger than I want to write, so I've been beating it into submission. I tend to write in marathon sessions, which are difficult to find right now.

My goal for the day is to add more realistic dialogue and further flesh out the characters in my story.

So I'm thinking and wondering how much confusion readers will tolerate at the beginning of a tale. Will they suffer more if the parts are interesting?

So I'm thinking and wondering how much confusion readers will tolerate at the beginning of a tale. Will they suffer more if the parts are interesting?

I think confusion in the beginning is a double edged sword. On one hand a reader like myself would want to press forward to see what the hell is going on, but others(who are a little more lazy) may say screw this and go onto to something else.

I think confusion in the beginning is a double edged sword. On one hand a reader like myself would want to press forward to see what the hell is going on, but others(who are a little more lazy) may say screw this and go onto to something else.

OK. Hows about a caveat like this at the beginning: PLEASE READ MY STORY, AND I PROMISE TO RESPECT YOU IN THE MORNING. REALLY.

Always tough to decide when to end some stories. Personally, I enjoy an open ended story that hints at a direction without resolving every little thing. I managed to submit the mind control story I was working on - and I'm feeling a bit like I might get slammed for ending it where I did. There's room for a lot more writing to the story, but I'm not interested in writing a novella length piece... so, I drew it to a hasty close, left it open ended, and I'll hope for the best.

Always tough to decide when to end some stories. Personally, I enjoy an open ended story that hints at a direction without resolving every little thing.

Ha! I agree, but when I ended my last story (Rhythm and the Blue Line) along those lines, I got slammed by about half of those that left comments. Amazing.

Added a little more to THE STORY. Ethel joins a flashmob, and meets Fred who clerks at the store.

Then read some more of the Higgins ON WRITING book. Each chapter comes with an example of what Higgins judged the best prose ever: Dickens, Hemingway, Gay Talese, William Manchester et al. He characterized George Eliot as torture to read. But mostly he ridicules young writers and their Pool of Narcissus style. Higgins sez that the only thing the young writer knows for sure is inside her pants, and what she knows the rest of the world knew long ago. So young writers are mostly boring. LIT didnt exist before he died, so he never truly knew how awful writing can be.

Unfortunately young people dont read books, and what theyre forced to read is George Eliot, which turns them OFF to reading...period.

I'll be happy if I get any story writing done, as I have a website to work on setting up today.

Back