The daughter VanHelsing (closed)

Asa

Writer...Dream...Fantasy
Joined
Jun 9, 2003
Posts
36,437
4oibmdzfghjtfdgz.jpg

Nadya

All she knew growing up was those that raised her... The entire village owed her father a great debt to the point of refusing to reveal her true last name until events forced their hand or she turned 21 whichever happened first though the last memory the woman she called mother had of her father was him praying over her as a tiny infant that his curse nor the hell that hunted his curse nor the church find her. She even helped him name her. Nadya meaning hope... The hope for a normal life that he wished for her.

Her father's wishes were only right to a point. The hell of his curse did find her... On her twenty first birthday.
--------------------

You should have told us about her Gabriel?

And let the church turn her into a weapon because of me.

The man stood before the priest barely containing his rage.

Well now they may well have her and you being "dead" can't go after her. So how do we deal with this Gabriel? Yet another problem you have created.

The church will stay the hell out of it and I will find a way.

What is her name will you at least do that?

Padre...

The man said as he walked off.

Go to hell.

Several days later he was seated in an inn in Budapest waiting for an old friend. The old man arrived with a younger man in tow.

Gabriel... My friend... My brother... We knew you would return one day but better events would surround our reunion.

5237d0ab4e56041c0033c887175657a8.jpg


Your darker brethren... Have they found her. Gabriel asked a worry not often found in the warrior's voice.

No they have not found her truly nor have we. The villagers protect her well.

The old man nodded to him. Everyone at the table knew that he knew where she was but for the sakenof listening ears no one knew.

However as you call them my dark brethren seek to return to Budapest in the spring. However my young friend here will be traveling there soon perhaps you two should travel... Together.

Gabriel sighed.

She is better off to believe that I am dead my friend. I will not see her a hated weapon of the church like I am. She deserves better.

She deserves to know her family her blood and her birthright. Like it or not she is like you... Bound to fight and vanquish the dark ones. But she will not do this alone.

Will she young one?

The old man looked to his protege with a fanged smile.
 
Miles Westland had been a private in the 77th infantry, from the lower east side of New York he'd grown up hard scrabble, and had to fight for everything he had. He'd volunteered versus getting drafted, which put him out there on the front line. It had been on one of the trips he'd taken into a village in France, he and three other soldiers were attacked by a creature. something so unnatural the other three men ran for their lives, only to get killed in the process. Miles tried to defend himself, fleeing to a horse stable where he used a pitch fork to try and defend himself. In the creature's final attack, it lunged, and Miles impaled the creature on it, but not before he'd been bit, a giant chunk of his shoulder taken out.

http://cdn.hitfix.com/photos/5593696/jw_pratt_1200_article_story_large.jpg

Bleeding profusely, Miles remembered stumbling from the stable, wondering into the court yard as a man of hard features looked upon him, a stern scowl across his face never faded from the man, even as Miles reached out to him for help, passing out due to the massive blood loss.

The following morning he found himself in a military hospital, his shoulder bandaged, and the stranger standing not far away from his beside. After an exchange of words, the man spoke to him

"Find your way back to the farm you ran to young mister Westland, your fate awaits you" just before the man left.

After only a few days his shoulder had completely healed, leaving a light scar, as if he'd survived the mauling with only a scratch. Even the doctors raised questions, but in a time of war, any warm body sent back to the front was needed. The war was turning, and with the Kaiser on the run, they'd need to press on.

A few days after Miles release he'd borrowed a cavalry horse and made his way back to the farm, recognizing the stable, and the broken pitch fork he'd used to defend himself. When the man approached welcoming him inside his home, Miles was even more suspicious, but something told him to trust this man, he might hold the answer to his scars.

What he found out opened his mind, opened the future, and his part to play in the coming war against others like him. Miles kept up his duties, but always sought out a way to safely contain himself. At one point locking himself up in a rock quary when the madness reached it's height. Each time the stranger found him, advised him, and helped him try to control the change. Eventually the war did end, and with nothing to go home to, Miles took his discharge, and joined the stranger. Over the last few years he'd found there was more to this life, a battle, a war raged with his darker brethren, and eventually that war would consume the life of a young woman who'd need protection, but would also steal his heart.

He remembered the day he'd first seen her, observing from a hill top a safe distance away where he could observer her. Her warm smile lit a fire within, he'd do anything for her, he didn't even know her, but for him he didn't have to. All those times, watching from afar lead to this moment, he was standing in a smoke filled bar, the smells of the oak and mahogany wood filling his nose as Miles and his teacher found the man they were looking for.

Hanging on their words, Miles paid attention, but also knew some words were not meant for his ears, when his teacher addressed him, Miles nodded in response...

"No, She should have company for what is to come. But she won't come without some sort of reason, and Gabriel, she'll need you to help guide her. Maybe not at first. But Sir, she won't leave the safety of that village to do what must be done unless there is some hope that she'll find her lost family. "

Miles heart raced at what he was about to say. "If you'll permit me, I can keep up a story that you've sent for her, that she must come with me to reach you. " He hoped the eagerness in his voice wouldn't betray his reasons for speaking to her. If it did, he'd be lost without hope of fulfilling his purpose.
 
Gabriel shook his head.

No... Tell her a friend of her father has sent for her. Someone who can attempt to answer her questions.

The old wolf sighed shaking his head.

I see well the stubbornness of the family line. I also think when she does end up in your presence she will not be so easily fooled old friend. Gabriel knew he was right but he had to hope he was wrong.

Bring her back here if she will not leave speak with the village elders they will help her agree to meet with a friend of her father.

With that Gabriel returned to his room taking out the other half of a carved wooden heart knowing the other half rested with his daughter.

The old man shook his head.

Let us go you will need to prepare for your trip. Be careful Miles.... We cannot let her fall to my brother or his dark brood.
 
Miles nodded. "He's efficient, but not very detailed, I think we have the advantage for a short time, but.. that would only last so long. And I have quite the distance to travel."

Returning to his rooms, he packed what would be necessary, including the arms that he'd need to carry. Some how the urgency of his teacher's words rode heavy on his mind, he might be rushing faster than he'd need to, but he knew if he forgot something, his skills and nature would help provide for both of them.

Miles walked his horse out and was met the old wolf, who gave him a sealed letter. A simple red candle wax seal upon it. Taking it, Miles folded it carefully, he dared not damage it, securing it in an inner pocket of his jacket.

Hoisting himself up on his horse, Miles looked down to the old wolf and shook his hand one last time.

"I'll be back in a few days, with Gabriel's daughter if luck holds out. I'll make sure to be watchful of your brother's brood as well. He might not be there, but he'll find the temptation to send a few of his more inspired too great to miss out on if he thinks we might be in the area."

Curling his lips into a grin, Miles finished "Let them come though, they'll get the beating they deserve."

He privately hoped his outward bravado was convincing, Luck had been on his side the last time he'd danced with one of the dark brethren. This time though, he was going it alone.

Leaving Budapest, Miles headed deep into the eastern part of the country, his eyes and heart focused on one mission. Find Nadya and get her to safety. He'd have to talk with the Village elders before he went to find her, and playing that out in his head a thousand times came back almost as many different scenarios which ended good and bad. He would just have to hope for the best.
 
Give them he letter it will help sway them to letting her leave their protection.

The old wolf shook his hand and walked away.

----------
Nadya found herself quickly shoved into one of the underground tunnels in the wee hours of he morning. Whoever was attacking the village would not be able to find d her but not for not looking. Their orders simple rough the village up but kill no one. They would know when they had found the girl yet they never did. However their blood called to her during full moon raids. Like it was her soul as well only darker and more violent. A few days had passed after the raid and she was called before her mother and father as well as the rest of the town elders.

Walking into the inn she paused. That feeling again. Like her own soul and blood was near her. Her mother saw the pause and looked to the guest concerned it was a trick.
 
As he reached the hills which over looked the village, he pulled his binoculars from his pack and looked down into the village to see if he could spot Nadya. What he noticed was disconcerting, many homes had been ransacked, a number of people were walking about with arms in bandages, a few on crutches while one man rested out side of his burned out home sitting on a chair his face in his hands. Most were calmly going about rebuilding, cleaning up their homes and removing the destruction from the streets. Miles knew something these people were good at was hiding Nadya, he'd hoped they'd secreted her away to the mining tunnels beneath the village. But there was also a chance that their attackers had caught her. After a few minutes of observation, he was convinced otherwise. No... they were practiced at getting Nadya to safety. She was down there, safe. He could feel it in his bones.

At a slow pace so the villagers could see him coming, MIles rode into the village, the damage had looked bad, but upon a closer look, the attackers had simply tried to mess up the place, He could see no new grave sites as he rode past the cemetery on the outer edge of the village, so beyond some property damage, and some broken bones, the village had weathered it well.

Approaching the inn, which was the largest structure in the village, Miles tethered his horse near the entrance and dusted himself off before walking inside. Last thing he wanted to do was create a presence of some ruffian. If the village elders were going to trust him with Nadya's safety then he'd better look somewhat presentable.

Pressing on the entry door to the inn, Miles was greeted by the smells of history. The building was old, and showed it's history on the walls, artwork that was hundreds of years old, and the weapons on the walls. This building doubled as a drinking hall, meeting hall of sorts where every villager could find a spot, and where they'd be able to hold up against any hostiles.

Wiping his brow, and taking his hat off, Miles approached the woman he'd seen more than a few times talk with Nadya through the lenses of his binoculars.

In his best Hungarian, Miles spoke politely, "Madam.. I come with great urgency. The young woman whom your village has protected all these years must come with me. Darker forces seek to exploit her, and I have been asked to bring her to someone who can help her for what is to come."

Pulling out the folded letter, Miles unfolded it and carefully placed it in the old woman's outstretched hand.

Upon opening it and reading it's contents, she folded it back up and slipped it into one of her front jacket pockets. Immediately exchanging looks with a man in his 40's with greying hair on his temples, and a well grown beard, she nodded and the man rushed out, leaving the inn.

"You must understand our reluctance to trust any stranger who might come into our village proposing that we turn over one of our own to someone who we've never met. Do you have anything else you can give me as proof that you won't bring harm to her?"

Taking off his right glove, Miles removed a simple gold ring from his ring finger and displayed a simple tattoo which had been etched upon his skin. Allowing her to read the ancient inscription she said no more. but turned to around and looked at the Barkeep across the room.

"Get this young man something to drink, he's traveled a long way to see us, and he'll be traveling again soon."

Motioning to one of the long tables, the old woman began to sit down, her bones almost as aged as the oak furniture which filled the room. Miles sat, while a younger man, maybe about Miles' age brought him a small plate of cheese and bread, with a large goblet of water. The old woman asked in a hushed tone, "So tell me, when did you last see our mutual friend.. how has he been?"

In hushed tones, Miles imparted to her as much as he could of his last interaction with Gabriel, the man was reserved, and shunned any attention from what he'd gathered, all things he told the old woman, as they both heard the large doors to the inn give a groan as they swung open, allowing the older man and what looked to be his wife walked in.

Miles stood, nearly knocking over his goblet of water and choking on the small piece of bread which he'd just put in his mouth. Swallowing fast and clearing his throat he was ready to speak, until the old woman started to speak for him.

"This young man brings news from her father.." Showing them the letter Miles had brought with him. Miles awaited questions, any he might answer, but none came, only a concerned disposition from the mother and father, this man was here to take their daughter away, Miles could understand their misgivings, he was after all a stranger, despite the fact that he'd watched these people for days, gathering knowledge of their routines.

Soon there after, the room was filled with more people, until finally Nadya appeared, walking though the doorway, Miles could feel his blood heat, the only time he'd felt this way was in the presence of another, he'd gotten used to it near his teacher, something that he'd simply acknowledged over time, but when Nadya appeared, it was as if he was hit by a wave, setting his senses off, the hair on his arms prickling under his jacket. There was an almost instant attraction, he'd seen her from afar, watched her through the lenses of his binoculars, simply to make sure she was safe. But now, this close, his senses were on fire.

When she approached, her body language put off the impression that she was questioned she'd been brought in front of everyone. Miles watched as she exchanged glances with her mother, who intern looked at the old woman and Miles. As a guest in their village, Miles felt it best to allow the old woman to introduce him. Turning to the old woman, Miles knew his introduction was dependent on the old woman's impression of him. Hopefully she could quell whatever worry was rising within Nadya. The next steps were incredibly important.
 
Our sacred task. Daughter of all our souls. Time has come. This young one has been sent by one who can aid you. We have followed our destiny in protecting you and now you become hour own destiny. Go with him and travel safe.

Nadya watched him for a long moment.

Since they are in agreement I will go. I am Nadya and you are?
 
He'd never actually heard her voice before, each word she spoke was a melody that nearly put him in a trance. Miles knew he'd probably looked at her for too long, admiring her eyes, her lips and the inquisitive look on her face.

Clearing his throat he spoke,

"I'm Miles. I've been asked by a friend of your father's to bring you some where safe. I'm sure you have many questions, some I can answer, some I'll have to defer, but all will be answered in time."

a strong sense of urgency grew with in him, as if his senses were picking up a veiled threat, something that he smelled in the wind. He wondered if she picked it up too, Lycan can sense each other, and if the brood had picked him up then they were already running out of time.

"I apologize Nadya, I wish we could stay a bit longer and prolong the inevitable, but we must go. If you have a horse and saddle we must make ready quickly. We have a long road ahead of us."
 
She tensed a little brow raised.

Yes let's go.

She nodded her farewell as a young boy walked in.

Horses are ready...
 
Walking out of the meeting Miles grew on edge. his senses could pick something up in the wind that just unsettled him. The old man had told him to listen to his instincts, after the change, he'd spent months trying to focus his concentration and get rid of all the noise.. faintly.. just on the edge of his perception he could sense them...

"Yes.... we have company Nadya, the kind that wants to kill you. But I have no intention of ever allowing that to happen. "

Pulling himself up into the saddle of his horse, Miles looked back at her and spoke. "Stay close, they will attempt to separate us."

Leaving the relative safety of the village behind them Miles paid attention to his senses as they rode. Keeping a hard pace he relied on his horse to be alert while he kept his ears open for the company he knew would be coming. As they crossed a bridge that would take them out of the protective valley that held her village, the heavy foot falls of the horses drowned out any other sound, but not his senses. Slowing, Miles raised his hand urging Nadya to stop. At the end of the bridge were two men, both dressed ruggedly for long travel. From what Miles could tell, his sense tingled, this was the company he was expecting., but were they just a distraction from a much larger threat nearby. He couldn't tell, but he had no other choice than to fight.

Turning to Nadya, he spoke confidently, he was defending himself and her. A priceless treasure, her life was his responsibility, his honor to protect.

"Stay on your horse.."

Walking in the direction of the two men, Miles took off his jacket and unbuttoned his shirt, beginning to undress as he ran, at a full charge he'd completely changed to his lycan form as he met the two men as they changed themselves into their full Lycan form only moments before Miles slammed into them at full speed.

In the ensuing fight, Miles tossed one of them over the bridge into the valley, thousands of feet below the bridge. Making the fight more even. The remaining attacker sunk it's teeth into Miles shoulder after he'd tossed the Lycan over. Howling in pain Miles reached back, he grabbed the face of his attacker, plunging a clawed finger into one of it's eyes causing it to release him from it's mouth. Reeling back from Miles the remaining lycan attempted to flee, only to be pounced upon by Miles as it turned to run.

Slamming his opponent into the ground, Miles twisted the lycan's arm breaking every bone as he swung it at a few large oak trees with as much force as his injured shoulder could allow. The Lycan attempted to ball up to protect itself, only to be impaled on a few broken tree limbs. Immobilized temporarily, Miles pressed his attack, howling as he tore the lower jaw off the remaining attacker, then slashing its throat clean open. Watching as the man change back to it's human form, Miles growled, he knew him, a thug from the dark brood, nothing more than a distraction, to delay them from a much greater threat that would attempt to consume them on their way to Budapest. They must press on, and move quickly.
Turing back to Nadya who'd hopefully still be waiting for him he tried to cover himself as he dressed, gathering hsi clothes as he dressed and finally reached her. The wound had healed, during his transformation back to his human form, but he'd be a bit weaker than he wanted to be. Climbing back on his horse, he pulled the reigns and turned to Nadya.

"We need to press on, and get to shelter by sun down. We have a good two days worth of travel before we see your father's friend..." He was certain she'd have questions, but would he have good enough answers? At that Miles wasn't sure.
 
Werewolves attack us yet they have sent a werewolf to protect me? That is why I knew you were there before they told me a traveler had arrived and why the old woman was the one to speak with and for you.

A brow raised as she thought on this. Falling silent for a long while her mind however was anything but silent as she pieced it all together.
 
Riding on, Miles looked back occasionally, the look in Nadya's eyes told him she was thinking, but what? Was she considering running? Did she trust him? She had no real reason to, but she also had no reason not to.

Looking at the horizon, Miles could see the sun quickly ducking behind the mountains they'd just passed through. They'd have just enough time to get to an inn nearby and find a room.

Stopping at a stable they bedded down the horses for the night and made the quick walk down to the only inn of the small village they'd made it to.

Walking through the front door with Nadya behind him, Miles addressed the innkeeper.

"You have any rooms available?"

With a sly look over Miles shoulder the sketchy old man spied Nadya and then looked at Miles.

"Yes, but only a single bed."

Without question Miles replied, "We'll take it." Taking the simple key from the old man, Miles lead the way down a narrow corridor to the room they'd been given, unlocking the door and waving Nadya in after him, he set his saddle bags down on the floor and slipped off his jacket.

"Take the bed ok...I'm so used to sleeping on the floor I often feel like I"ll fall through the mattress."
 
She nodded.

What do you know of my father? Will this friend guide us to him?

She opened a small pouch she carried like a necklace and took from it a small carved wood looking like part of a heart.

They say he left this with me and let the village help name me. Nadya... Means hope... He hoped I could have a safe and normal life.

She stared at the half of a heart for a few moments then putting it away she curled up on the bed.

I can sense them too. Does that mean Father was a werewolf like you and the others? Why do they wish to kill me?
 
Last edited:
While Miles went about the room putting his saddle bags in a place out of the way, he grabbed an extra blanket from the closet and made sure to fold it enough to make a pillow. He'd already taken off his boots, untucked his shirt from his pants and now was in his pants and thin undershirt. He'd heard her questions from behind him and turned to see her curled up on the bed.

Walking over, to the side of the bed so he could look at her, Miles knelt to make eye contact so Nadya wouldn't have to get up.

"I know very little of your father, but what I do know,is that he is a good man, and yes, the friend I'm taking you to will guide you to him."

Miles did pay attention to the small locket she had, it was an intimate item, surely something that her father had the other part of, and would cement his presence, his identity to her when she eventually meets him.

Taking a deep breath, Miles replied to her final question, one that he truly didn't know the answer to.

"I don't know if you will turn like I do, or if you can simply sense us. While being who I am and what I am is a blessing in some ways, it is a curse in others. As far as why they want to kill you? Unfortunately it's due to your parentage. You are your father's daughter. Your existence posses a threat to those who your father would have fought against. But those are answer that are best given by someone else, who has a far better grasp on the greater picture than I do."

reaching over and patting her hand, Miles tried to reassure her.

"Rest. in the morning we'll get on the road again and be in Budapest by late day. The answer to your questions and others, will come quickly there after. "

returning to his spot on the floor Miles laid down, and tried to rest. His senses were clear, for now.
 
She nodded and smiled to his pat on her hand. A simple gesture but it was a comfort as she closed her eyes to fall asleep. She had always wondered about her father and now to be on her way to meet someone who called him friend was a little intimidating. While she was curious as to why she could sense them. What did it mean? Was she one of them? So many questions dancing g around in her mind.

Sleep found her quickly and deeply as she again dreamed of what her father might like or sound like or what or who he truly was.
 
Miles dreamed.....

it was a thursday.. his squad had been tasked with taking the next Line. Using his trench Binoculars, he swept across no man's land and hadn't seen the diversion yet. Looking over to his right the jittery private named Williams was holding on to his rifle as if he was about to strangle it. Miles knew to wait for the signal, and heard the bugle sound out, as a separate line 200 yards away to his right started their attack as the mortors began to fly.

Leaping up along with 25 other men Miles ran for it, as a german machine gun began to lay down a sweep across them, Private Williams took two hits, and collapsed, his body giving out and skidding across the mud and carrying his body into a barb wire fence meant to funnel opposing troops toward two machine gun nests. Miles hit the dirt, brought up his rifle and sighted in the machine gunner through the iron sights, aiming two inches south of that spike on the top of his helmet, Miles fired, and watched the body fall, immediately cycling the bolt action and preparing for the dead man's back up....

"there you are.... " seeing the helmet raise Miles fired, got up and ran as hard as he could as other men in his squad were doing the same. He had tunnel vision, couldn't do more than focus on what was right in front of him as a grenade went off just ot his right. The concussion tossed him 20 feet, thowing his rifle clear of him as he ended up on his back, a searing pain in his right side, he could feel two of his ribs were broken from the impact, but thankfully he didn't feel that hollow sound in his lungs, if he had, he'd be truly fucked, a punctured lung out here would kill him.

Turning over he brought up his side arm, and dragged himself up to his knees, groaning got up and staggered to the trench in front of hima few yards away, noticing two of his fellow squad members had made it and were down to hand to hand combat. playing fisticuffs until one of the Kraut bastards pulled a luger and shot the man in front of him, and Miles remaining squad mate before Miles could draw up on the two men. Opening fire, Miles emptied his magazine into both men and charged, hoping his two friends were alive.

Checking for a pulse, Miles couldn't feel anything, and between all the mortar fire he didn't hear one of the fallen kraut soldiers rise up. and attack him, taking a bite out of his shoulder then snatched up from behind and thrown around like a rag doll, until he felt like he was simply a bag of flesh, with every bone in his body broken multiple times. Miles was never able to get a good look at his attacker, the light of the full moon had given them plenty of lite to start the attack, but deep in this trench, the shadows covered everything. But it couldn't cover the sounds Miles heard. The growls, that the soldier made as it attacked him, until finally Miles came to lay next to the body of one of the squad members who'd been killed earlier. His side arm in reach, Miles used the last bit of strength he had and unloaded the full magazine of 7 rounds into the soldier, Each flash from the muzzle of the gun gave him an up close look, it wasn't a man who'd attacked him. it was some sort of creature. Covered in hair a long snout like some sort of feral wolf.

The creature jumped over him escaping the trench as Miles was left there to die. But he didn't. The next morning he awoke, in some german field hospital, a prisoner of war, until a certain doctor found him, and noticed his wounds. The doctor had been the old man and took him to a whole new world. Waking from the dream that had been his previous reality.

-------------------------------------
Waking from his dream Miles sat up and noticed the sleeping form of Nadya curled up under the covers of the bed. She looked peaceful, in a serene state where the troubles that were the future before her wouldn't weigh on her mind. He hoped this was still the right thing to do, taking her from the safety of that village, but she needed to know the truth, and fulfill her destiny of being her father's daughter.

Miles would do his part, to give her a fighting chance. No matter the cost.

Slightly taping her foot, Miles knelt next to the bed and made sure she woke.

"We need to get going. we needed the rest but I fear we've stayed to long. I'll get some supplies from the innkeeper but we'll have to eat while we ride. "

Once they were back on the road, made an effort to stay close, in case they had unwanted company.
 
Her eyes opened seeing him and smiled nodding. Even though she sensed nothing she knew they must move on. She was eager to meet this friend of her father's. She wanted to know all bout him. Why he chose to leave her there and what of her mother? More questions now danced in her mind as they rode. She was happy he wished to stay so close though she suspected it was simply due to his task to escort her and nothing more. She felt drawn to him but that she also dismissed as her own apparent werewolf blood. Shaking her head she tried to dismiss all her distracting thoughts as they rode along.

Why do they seek me do you know?
 
"I don't think they want to take knitting classes or learn how to speak Hungarian, that's for sure. I honestly believe it has something to do with your father, and that given the opportunity, you could put an end to their plans. What those plans are, I'm not 100 percent sure of as I've never taken the time to ask, but surely they don't intend to play nicely, or get together and watch the Yankee's play."

Miles was sure that his references to his home town Baseball team probably didn't make any sense. And while he surely was supposed to take all of this seriously, her part to play in the greater battle between her father, his clan and the brood that wanted to end them all. Miles just had never been the greatest at explaining things, and surely his American references didn't help.

A bit frustrated with himself, Miles tried to explain it a with a bit less florish. "They mean to kill us all Nadya, to put an end to the kind of life that we have, the world as we know it, and put a great number of people in the ground. "

"I'm sorry if I can't explain it better than that, but if they kill you, then the your father's blood line is gone. And you come from a very powerful bloodline. "

Looking at Nadya he was sure he said too much, but hopefully his rambling mess of an explanation made sense.

Miles regularly looked over at Nadya, there was something about her that he couldn't describe, he'd felt it the first time he'd seen her watching from afar, now, this close he was drawn even more to her, Her eyes were expressive, and seductive, something she probably had no idea she did. Watching the subtle way she licked her dry lips as they traveled made it difficult at times not to think about kissing her. What she might smell like up close, what her hair might feel like draped across his face.. Miles was day dreaming.. and probably staring when he looked back,

As they crossed over a hill top looking over a wide valley he could see Budapest in the distance. the wide expanse of the Danube River dominated the landscape. The view from here was quite impressive, so he stopped, and pointed.

"My friend, your father's friend, and a lot of answers await us. We're probably a good 3 hours ride from the city, if you'd like to stop here, and enjoy the view while we take a break.. we can?"
 
Then you do know of my father. Tell me! I have lived my life with people who treated my like some holy relic or fragile doll yet knew my strengths and my lineage yet they claimed to be sworn not to tell. Let me guess you have taken this infernal oath too haven't you?

She was getting angry. She wanted to scream. Why would no one tell her anything about her father?

Three hours to reach this mystery friend who will allegedly give me answers. Yet you wish to stop so close?

Her horse stomped as if picking up on her anger and snorted as he stopped. She stared down at the horse.

I raise you from birth but you side with the outsider.
 
Getting off his horse, Miles walked calmly over to Nadya and patted the side of her horse while reaching for her hand.

"What I know of your father is very little. I know he's an honorable man who our mutual friend (presuming that Nadya will trust the old wolf when she meets him) has known for a long time. I"m not here to 'hide' information from you. If I knew something more I'd tell you. But I don't."

"Search your senses Nadya, the ones that you've been trusting all your life that told you the Village you called your home, and the people who loved you could be trusted. Look at me and tell me if you think I'm lying."

Releasing her horse, Miles stepped back, while knowing she really wouldn't go anywhere, but this was a test, of her trust in him.

"If you think I'm lying, that I"m hiding information from you about your father then by all means go. Ride ahead and I'll follow, Your senses will guide you to our mutual friend."

"But.. If you do sense that I'm not lying to you, that I've told you what I know, come down from your horse and rest him for a little.. We've had a hard ride today, a bit of food and water would do us all good before we arrived.."

"Besides..." Pointing out at the expanse before them, the view was quite amazing as the colors of the trees, the country side that lead to Budapest was quite picturesque from where they were. "Very few places will give you a view this beautiful."

MIles meant to include her own beauty in his comment, something that he had to concentrate on was keeping his heart from racing with how close he was to her. If he didn't, she'd sense that too, and he couldn't let his emotions taint this moment. Miles needed her to trust him.
 
She just watched for a moment before climbing down from her horse. The horse nudged him as if to say we won and began eating.

Fine we can rest it is not like he would have continued anyway. It is not that I am not grateful to the village for raising me but why would he leave me there if he were so honorable.

A voice spoke up as the old wolf slowly shifted to his human form now standing before them in merely a pair of pants.

You look so much like him child. It does an old heart good to see the bloodline of my old friend all grown up.

She tensed he was a wolf too and burned of old power. The horse looked over and started to move between them.

Are you the one who is to tell me about my father?

The old man shook his head.

No that man waits in the great inn there in Budapest. I am however another old friend but it is not my place to impart this information merely to see to it that you both make it to see him.

The old man called him off to the side.

They are close.... they know he is here... they have tried to find him.
 
A wry grin came across Miles face as the old wolf made his presence known. He was about to ask how long he'd been tracking them but was interrupted by a more pressing matter, the brood had been searching for Gabriel, and knew the family reunion might have to wait a bit longer than he'd previously hoped for.

"We'll have to be extremely careful going in. My instincts say, wait for night fall, enter the city under darkness, but another part of me says we need to get in there faster than we'd previously thought."

Looking over at Nadya, he could tell she'd be disappointed, angry or worse. And rather than risk losing her completely, Miles thought the risk versus reward was going to be worth it.

"Nadya, the people after your father are searching the city, we are going to continue on, but you must listen to what we say, your life is at a much greater risk now. Thankfully they won't be looking for you with company, but still, if we can sense them, it's a guarantee they can sense us. "

Turning to the old man Miles said "guide us in, you'll know the safest route..."
 
Nadya sighed.

So it was never a friend of my father's but my father seeking to deceive me.

The old wolf realized what Miles had said out of his great concern for Nadya. He nodded standing as tall as he could after all he had not liked the idea of Gabriel's deception.

Yes child outside of Miles and myself there is no other friend... just your father. He does not want t to see you turned into a weapon as he was so long ago. He has wished for nothing more than for you to have a normal life away from the curse that binds you both to the darkness of the world.

She listened taking it all in as she walked over to a nearby lone tree and sat down under it.
 
Walking over to the old man Miles was a bit ashamed,

"I......" But no words could come out of his mouth. He'd messed up, truly this situation, the predicament that they were currently in had been made by him. He'd tried to answer her questions, keep her trust, and make sure he got here safely. And he had no intention of lying to Nadya. He'd made this bad. it was his responsibility to fix it.

Walking to Nadya, Miles knelt in front of her, taking her hands in his Miles looked at her in earnest.. Every word he spoke came from the deepest part of his soul.

"Your father wanted the best for you, he'd hoped that allowing you to grow up in your village would insulate you, keep you away from those who might use you, turn you and manipulate you into doing their work, while convincing you that it's the right path. I've seen where that path leads, and all this (waving his hand toward Budapest) would be gone if they succeed. Your father was never deceiving you to be hurtful or spiteful. From what he's said to us the deception was meant to throw off those

But telling you this won't persuade you I'm sure, you need to make your own path. and what we hope to do is get you to your father safely.. so you can make those choices with out someone making them for you."

Looking at her face Miles attempted to bring her eyes to his, so she knew he meant what he said.

"I'm here to protect you, not lie to you or deceive you. I've never been a good liar as you can already tell. But if you give me the opportunity to get you to your father, I promise you I'll never betray your trust again, I'll never leave your side as you face the challenges that will come next. "

Standing and reaching out to Nadya, Miles looked to her for what she wanted to do next.
"I won't force you to go, but I can tell you that your father needs you, at great risk to both of you he's waiting down there, hoping to see you for the first time since you were a baby. I know you have that same desire. So let me help you make that happen."
 
Nadya sighed and nodded. Standing she motioned towards the horses as she noticed the old man seeming to calm her horses distrust with food.

He will never leave you alone now if he thinks he will get food. We ride... Now.

With that she had vaulted herself onto her horse and ignored his snort expecting to wait for the other two. The old man nodded.

There is her father in her.

With that he began running shifting as he did and just in time as a wolf leaped out of a thicket of brambles right for the horse.
 
Back
Top