What Made You Smile/Laugh Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't you have Sacher in the States? :eek:

It's a famous Viennese cake. It's a chocolate cake with apricot jam between the layers, covered in dark chocolate. Naturally the only real Sachertorte can be had in Vienna (and it was to die for!), but this was pretty good, too. My favorite was lemon-meringue, though. :)

And the cake buffet is a great concept. It's 6,50 euros for a slice, or two halves if you want to try different cakes, with a cup of tea there (and that's actually really cheap in and of itself already). The buffet is only 11,90e with tea or regular coffee, so you don't actually have to eat that much cake to break even on the buffet.

In my experience, only bakeries with a serious German background in the ownership bother to make a sacher torte. As it happens, one of my favorite places in all of Chicago is just such a bakery and their sacher torte is spectacular.

Mmm...cake. It's the greatest thing ever.

Why, oh, why do we not have cake buffets here? Somebody needs to remedy this problem--quick!

Mmm...cake. It's the greatest thing ever.

Why, oh, why do we not have cake buffets here? Somebody needs to remedy this problem--quick!

When I first moved to Chicago there was a restaurant called Great Gritsby's Flying Food Show. Their signature menu item was the dessert bar, which was laid out like a salad bar. This was at the time when salad bars were first showing up. I distinctly recall going there one night after having gotten high to see Ken Russell's movie of The Magic Flute. We ate a ton of dessert that night after the movie.

I'm seriously surprised you don't have cake buffets there. It's not a common thing here, this one's the only one I know actually, but I never would have thought there are no cake buffets in the States - the holy land of indulgence.

I'm making split pea soup and baking pulla today, because it's Shrove Tuesday and that's what you're supposed to eat on Shrove Tuesday. I'll have to skip the sledding this year, though, because it's just too slushy outside.

I love baking, it makes me happy, the end product is just an added bonus. :)

I'm seriously surprised you don't have cake buffets there. It's not a common thing here, this one's the only one I know actually, but I never would have thought there are no cake buffets in the States - the holy land of indulgence.

I'm making split pea soup and baking pulla today, because it's Shrove Tuesday and that's what you're supposed to eat on Shrove Tuesday. I'll have to skip the sledding this year, though, because it's just too slushy outside.

Thanks for reminding me!

And for reminding me of the smile:
We talked about this last week and it's called Fat Tuesday here (like in Mardi Gras). My youngest looked at me and said: -You can't call it that! It's rude!

finally seeing sheldon smacking amy on big bang theory
Seeing Sheldon spank Amy was good... what *made* the scene, in our estimation, was her reaction. "Oh, my!" I think George Takei might have been jealous of her delivery.

I'm a very happy camper, as I just returned home from the bakery with a half dozen paczki. My bakery even does them with a prune filling and this is the only day of the year when i can get prune-fulled pastry of any kind without some kind of long drive.

I'm a very happy camper, as I just returned home from the bakery with a half dozen paczki. My bakery even does them with a prune filling and this is the only day of the year when i can get prune-fulled pastry of any kind without some kind of long drive.
Yeahhh... at your age, prunes can be a necessary thing. :p

Pączki are good too, I'm a bit jealous now! I prefer mine with rose jam and dusted with icing sugar. :) Why do they only serve them one day a year? In Poland you can get them all year round, although the traditional day to have them is Fat Thursday, which was last Thursday.

I seem to be obsessed by baked goods lately. Oh well, they make me smile.

Pączki are good too, I'm a bit jealous now! I prefer mine with rose jam and dusted with icing sugar. :) Why do they only serve them one day a year? In Poland you can get them all year round, although the traditional day to have them is Fat Thursday, which was last Thursday.

I seem to be obsessed by baked goods lately. Oh well, they make me smile.

Around here, the paczki are connected with Fat Tuesday, so today's the day.

LOL @ holy land of indulgence.

There are probably cake buffets somewhere here. I've just never heard of one. I think most places that I know of have decided they'll make way more money selling cake by the overpriced slice, which is why I rarely buy cake from anyone. Cakes are one of the few things I can make that (normally) taste better than things I can buy.

I still say we should have a dessert thread. :p

And what made me smile today? Having the self-discipline to not jump in and give a certain doll (Chucky comes to mind) the attention he's always seeking.

I feel like I should give myself a reward. Oh, yeah... not giving him what he wants is its *own* reward. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back