Bethothed.....

LittleSprite2

Literotica Guru
Joined
Feb 14, 2007
Posts
3,515
The part of the Bethrothed male is taken by Joshua - T
The part of Lady Brinna Buchanan is taken by Myself..

If any wish to join as Asher Mackay, the bethrothed males brother or Asher's wife...
other clans memebers from ether the MacKay clan or Buchanan clan those places are open.


Lady Brianna is the daughter of Liard Gram Buchanan of The Buchanan's, and shortly after her brother Ian had been killed, protecting their border's from an invading English knight three years ago. Her father had decided she would learn at least to defend herself if ever she needed it as he was not tho he lothed to admit it as young as he used to be. She was 21 and well past the age most girls were wed.

She was a petite woman, standing around 5ft 4 in and around 120 lbs soaking wet.. though small she had a very fine hour glass figure, with raven hair that fell to her hip's while braided, and violet colored eyes.

Lady Brinna or Bre as they called her, was different from most. While she did take great care of the keep she also visited the village helping where she could, she also hunted, and helped to make repairs to their home's along with the men.

She was a strong and healthy woman. Her sword arm, and hand to hand still needed some work, but her skill with a bow was equal if not superior to most of the men.

Her father had lost her mother to an invading clan when Brinna was only three, and tho her father was proud of her skills he also worried he would ever marrie the lass off and also prayed God help any man who did take her to wife.

Her father had been proud of both his son, and his daughter's skills. Tho well respected in the Highland's. For his fearce fighting nature and abilitys to provide for his clan and protect what was theres twas still off putting to other clans that he had allowed his daughter to train in combat..

Lady Brinna paced back and forth in front of the hearth in the great hall. A crumpled letter held tightly in her fist. She was dressed in a hunter green gown with silver brocade. Her hair braided in two braids at the side's of her head with a larger braid connecting them down her back.

Held in place by two silver band's one at the back of her head where the braids connected, and one at the end, holding it all in place. The only other ornament she wore was the necklace her mother had given her, a simple silver Celtic knot. The chain it hung from also made of silver.

Her father had sent word a head that he was returning and would be home with in a few days, his discussions with a negboring clan had gone well and when there son a friend of her brothers who had been at his funaral returned home if he agreed to the terms and was willing would become her betrothed ... and if not then her father would search else where.

Brinna had read the letter and wished that her father would give up on finding her a husbend she was content as she was ... true she did want a husbend and children eventully but not now..

The letter also stated that the prospective bride groom if he agreed to wedding her at all stated that he would come to the Bucannion holding to meet her and that they would wed before returning to his home if he chose or stay here.. Her violet eyes flashed at the thought of being made to leave the only home she had known her entire life, and didnt like the idea at all..

Brinna knew her father wasnt getting any younger and was ancious to see her settled and so would try to do as he asked and behave... they had argued over it before he left as her brother had had many friends she wasnt even sure to which one he had chosen to betrothe her to...

The letter said simply that the family would send him to meet her father and her if he agreed. If not a messagner would arrive with there regrets.

Well pacing was getting her no where and stating her objections to marrage at all had gotten her no where before her father had left so she would see that all was ready for his return and all she could do in the mean time was wait and see.. She wondered if her perspecitve bride groom would like these arrangments made by his parents and hers any better than she did or if he would even remember who she was...

in the morning she would go to the village and help to inspect and repair some of the damage the storm outside was sure to cause, she shook her head in reflection and wonder for the storm seemed to ecco her own inner trumoil..

.............................Mean while

The Mackays Liard Smiled at his wife.. they had hoped to find a bride for there son he had been too long with out a wife and twas time he settled down..

His older brother, and twin had already wed and was content both there parents happy in the knowladge that he would take over the Mackays holdings as Liard..

Now when Asher's Brother returned from where only a few friends knew he had a chance to become Liard of the Buchanan holdings once the old man passed on... he had been friends with the lass's brother but had not gone to the holding sence he had passed.

They hoped that even tho they knew he was likly to be angry over there meddling in his life that in the end it would be worth all the fighting involved... it had been for them.. and for his brother when they had each been bethrothed..

sometimes such a road was not an easy one but the rewards were worth the hard path it took to get there.. Now like there son's intened they had to wait until he returned home to be given the news of his prospective marrage..
 
Last edited:
The next two days passed all to quickly for Brinna as indeed the storm that night she had gotten the letter from her father had done quite a bit of dammage in its wake, thankfully tho few had been injured and none killed.

She helped with repaires and brought extra food and supplys for those who's stores had been depeleted due to the weather. When not in the village she could ushully be found in the lists or archery range, which was where she was when the call came out the horn blast anouncing her fathers arrivel..

She was dressed in leggings tunic and vest.. not much different that most of the men around her.. Her hair this day was done in a single braid held by a peace of leather at the end. She sholdered her quiver of arrows and bow, while she walked twards the inner balie to greet her father. Hoping to perhaps get some awncers as to which of her brothers friends she might be wedding.

Most of her brothers friends were negbors and already allied to the Bucannons one tho came to mind whom she had found one day when she was around 6yrs or so old.. she had gone with her brother who was much older down to the burn to gather water and had come across a boy her brothers age who had an arrow in his sholder and had floated down streem...

At first they had thought him dead, but soon discovered otherwise.. they had taken him in and Brinna had stayed by his side while the healers tended his wounds, refusing to leave her stuborn streek evident even then...

When the lad had asked who had saved him her brother had stepped forth and said that it was he and his little sister who had found him, and The two had been friends sence.. but she herself had not seen much of ether her brother or him for they were seldom home.. He was a Mackay if she remembered rightly..

Then there was another friend who her brother had met at tourny... who had been to the funaral as well, but him she did not know at all... ether could be her fathers choice..

Brinna stopped watching as her father road into the inner bally and dismounted she greeted him as he walked twards her she met him halfway.. Welcome Da.. i trust yer journy was well..

Her father looked at her a smile on his face as his arm slid around her sholders and they walked twords the keep.. As well as could be expected lass.. i see repairs bein maid in the village.. twas a bad storm then ..

Aye two days past now.. come i'll get ye some Ale and we can discuss your journy and what has happened in the village..
 
Last edited:
Drew rode hard over the bridge spanning Strath Naver. Looking down at the water he could see many fish leaping from the clear water. He continued his ride hard until he entered the town of Tongue, the home of his clan. He continued on to Castle Varrich, where he needed to meet his father, Lord Reay. His horse thundered through the streets. Drew's long brown hair streaming behind him. His deep blue eyes flashing bright. He had recieved some news that had angered him.

Andrew Mackay leapt from his horse as he reached the stables. He burst through the doors of the castle and into the main hall where his father was sitting with his mother. "What's this about finding me a bride? Even more than that, a Bucannon? What good would a Bucannon do me as a bride? I'm a highlander, pure and true. The Bucannon lands are southern lands. You can't be serious!" He stared at Lord Reay. His muscles flexed in anger. He was a stong man, about 6'2" with broad shoulders, and knew he could probably put up a good fight against his father if he pushed him too far. One thing he would never do though would be to pull his Sgain Dubh (pronounced Skein Doo) on his father.

"Calm down son. I know you are not happy. However, you don't have to agree to it. I just ask ye to go and meet her. Ye have met her before, when ye were a young lad. She is the sister of your friend Ian. Go down there and meet with her. After ye meet her and ye still don't like her, then return home and be done with it. I just don't want ye to say no when you did nae e'en give 'er a chance." His father gave his son a warm smile and hoped he would see the logic. Drew took a deep breath and calmed himself and thought for a long moment. "Aye father, I'll go and meet this woman." He then turned to prepare himself for the journey south from the northern coast of Scotland to the lochs of the south.

Drew started his journey the next morning, with a decent pace south, but not in a hurry. As he rode he thought of what he was doing. He definitely did not want a southern wife. He also did not want to inherit the lands by a loch. He knew that if he lived in the south he would always long for the crisp ocean air of the northern coast. He already knew what he would do when he arrived. He would meet the woman, take a look at her lands and meet her family. A couple days later he would politely decline the offer of her hand in marriage from her father, and return to the Highlands. He even had what he would say planned out.

It was late on the second day when he arrived in the lands of clan Bucannon. He rode to their central village and asked directions to the residence of the clan cheif. He rode to the stables and dropped off his horse. As he walked toward his final destination he noticed the diference between his homeland and this town. The main difference was the tartans. The highlander tartans were much different compared to those of the southern clans. With the Mackay tartan he would stick out among the people of the Bucannon clan. He arrived at the door he had been pointed toward and he knocked.
 
Brinna had been visiting a woman in the village Brigid who was due to have her babe any day now. The midwife was with them and assured Brinna that she would be sent for when twas the womans time and that all was well with Brigid and the babe thus far. Brinna thanked the midwife and promised Brigid once more that she would attend day or night.. before leaving.

She was dressed in her customary, leggings, shirt and vest.., her hair in a single braid as she saw a highlander leaving the village twords the keep. She hailed the lad over whom the man had spoken too and asked.. who was that man lad who spoke to ye just now?

Twas a Highlander Lady... He said he has binsess with the liard.. i dunna ask his name.. Brinna nodded and sent the lad on his way before making her own way to the Keep. She entered the bally just as the highlander dismounted and went to the door of the keep.

The same stable lad who took the highlanders horse also took her horses reigins. She dismounted with out any aid from the groomsmen, and begain walking in the higlanders direction.

A servent opened the door for the Highlander and showed him the way to the Great Hall, and to Gram Bucannon.. Who was seated infront of one of the harths in the Hall, and rised to greet the highlander as soon as he saw him...while the tables were being set for the eveing meal.

Brinna had followed in behind them and leaned against the door frame arms crossed as she watched the Highlander and her father.
 
Andrew made his way inside when the servant greeted him. He followed the servant to the main hall of the building. He brushed a long strand of hair from his face and walked into the room. He saw the clan cheif and approached him. He geeted him warmly and smiled. "Hello sir. I am Andrew Mackay, but I'm sure ye knew that already. I bring greetings from my clan up north. I also am sorry for your son's death. He was a good friend. I truly wish I could have been there to help defend against the English dog that killed him. I would have put my Claymore through the bastard's skull. But that is not a topic for now. I am here to meet with your daughter."
 
Aye lad and so ye shall, she's gone to the village and should be back anon.. Tis glad i am ye could come all this way... Twas then that her father saw her behind Andrew in the door way and for once wished she had worn a dress insted of leggings but well the lad would accept her for who she was or wouldnt.

Ahh i see she has come in behind ye.. The Lirad waited where he was for Andrew to turn around and face his bethrothed. Brinna had straitened away from the wall and begain walking twords them.

Greetings Da.. Sir.. she said as she did not yet know his name, tho he looked familar to her. If he was the Mackay she had saved as a child with her brother then he had changed greatly in that time from a boy into a fearce and handsome warrior. All this tho she could turn down and had before in other suters... what this mon had in his favor tho was that he had been her brothers friend.

She did wonder beleatedly what he thought of her as she was no longer the young child of 6 he had seen last.
 
Andrew nodded, and was then surprised when he told him she was behind him. He turned slowly to face her. When he saw her approaching him he saw a beauty he had not expected from a southern clan woman. He saw some features in her face that suddenly made him remember how he had met Ian. He remembered meeting her when she was just a young girl. He gave her a smile and greeted her. "Hello, I am Andrew Mackay. I am sorry about your brother's passing. He was a good friend."
 
Aye he was that.. we all miss him sworly....i am Brinna and I bid ye welcome Andrew Mackay tis an honor yer comin here, I'll be leavin ye to me da while i go and see to some last muinet preperations fer the noon meal and such.. excuse me. She left them then and sent a servent to bring them both Ale while she continued on twords the kitchens.

Her father had been watching the Mackay's reaction to his daughter and smiled pleased with what he saw and wondered if the lad had even noticed what she wore. He waited a moment for the lad to gather his wits taking the mugs of ale from the surving girl and waving her on as he offered a mug and a seat to the Mackay.

Well then Lad... before ye make any decidsions one way or another.. i should warn ye i have brought Brinna up a bit differently then most women are... sure she knows how to be proper lady ive seen ta that, and i am sure her brother mentioned it to ye a time or two.. She is stubborn, But she also keens how ta protect herself and lead the men in my or her husbends absence she knows also how ta lead the men in defending the keep.. He stopped there waiting to see what the Lads reaction would be to so unushual an up bringing.

When ye came in i was sure ye'd come ta tell me nay, but now i am no so shure..you should know she has no more liking for this arrangment then you did..in fact i am surprised she was as plesent as she was to ye for i've no had much peace sence i brought it up.. Her father said a small chuckle in his voice as he rememberd Brinnas determanation and aruments to the fact that she was just fine on her own.. a look of pride and frustration both crossed his features.. she needs somone ta take her in hand who will also love her fer who she is... tis no an easy thing ta find.. ye understand ?
 
Last edited:
Andrew smield as she spoke and nodded as she took her leave of them. He turned back to her father and smiled at him. He took the second mug of ale and then sat as the man gestured. He then listened and sipped his ale as he spoke of his daughter. When he said she was raised to know how to look after herself he was surprised. It was uncommon for women to be trained in any style of fighting, even more so in the south of Scotland, or so he'd heard. He was not surprised, however, by the fact that she had not been happy about the arrangements for them to meet.

Andrew smiled at the older man and nodded to him. "I make no promises to ye right now. I will speak with her more, get to know her a little, but after a couple days I will make a final decision. It will not be all my decision though. I will not take a bride who does not care for me. Nothing is for certain right now. Just remember that sir."
 
Gram frowned a bit wishing the lad would give it more than just a few days but then at least he would give them that.. Aye then i suppose tis all i can ask o' ye.. Now if you'll excuse me i'll go and ready meself for the meal, and have a servent come show ye to yer chambers so ye can freshen up as well.

With that Liard Bucannon left MacKay where he was and departed calling a servent girl to him and sending her to show MacKay where his chamber was. It was on the same lvl as the rest of the sleeping quarters given to visiting family or high ranking guests.

After seeing to the meal Brinna went to her own room to freshen up but didnt change, she ushually only wore a dress for the eveing meal and saw no reasion to change that now even if the MacKay she had wondered about off and on threw her child hood was there at table..

Frustrated because she was thinking of him again she shook her head and tryed to put him out of her thoughts even if only for the moment and made her way down to table. Her father was not yet present and a servent told her that he had decided to dine in his room and so twould be only the Highlander MacKay and herself for the meal.

Brinna nearly decided to use her fathers tack and retrete to her room but it smacked too much of cowerdess and so she sat down at table and awaited Andrew MacKay's arrivel
 
Last edited:
Andrew nodded at the man and waited for the servant to lead him to where he would sleep. When he got there it seemed his saddle bags had already been removed from his horse and placed in the room. He put a few things away and prepared himself for the meal. When he was ready he called for a servant who took him to where they would eat. He entered and looked around. He only saw Brinna sitting there. He smiled at her and walked over to the table. "Is your father not going to join us?" He sat across from her and took a second look at her. Her father seemed to be right. She did not seem happy at all about the idea of getting married. She had not dressed up at all like some women had to attempt to impress him. She would look pretty in a dress though, that he was sure of.
 
Aye it seems he's decided to take his meal in his chambers this after noon. Please join me.. she said trying to be polite dispite his reasion for comming. He looked well and content tho most highlanders were no matter where they were until it came time to draw a blade.

Tell me What do ye think of the Buchanan holding thus far? After we've dined i can show ye around if ye like. She said after he sat and they both had begun filling there trenchers infront of them to eat.
 
Last edited:
Andrew nodded when she explained about her father. He did wonder about why he would not join them. Perhaps it was an attempt to draw Brinna and himself closer together. He thought about what he had seen of the Bucannon territory so far. "It has been fairly nice so far. Not at all like home. The land is very different, and the people are different as well. I would like to see the rest of it very much. You don't have to show me if you dan't want to though. I'm sure I could find my way arround on my own."
 
Last edited:
Brinna offered him some ale and smiled at him for the first time sence his arrivel. Aye well i do have things i need ta do, but i'll show ye around none the less for a wee bit, and tis true our ppl are a a bit diferent but were still scots... and have fought long hard battles against the english en more so be at times than yer own In the highlands for tis here in the south we are struck first and hardest be it a raid or cattle or in war tis here the english strike first... the boarder lords ha it en worse than we do.. .. Were no the weeklings most think we are..

Brinna paused wondering why she had let her toung get away with her it wasnt like her to go into politics speaking her mind with anyone save her father or her brother before his death..

She supposed however that it had something to do with that Andrew had been close to Ian and she felt that they too could be friends if she wernt so against marrage.

Looking down at her trencher she ate some more of her food and drank some ale. Before looking back up at him.. and awaiting his responce to her words.
 
Andrew ate a little as she spoke about her people. He smiled and laughed a bit. "I ne'er thought ye were bad fighters down here. Yer brother proved that much to me. Ye have done a good job fighten off those dogs from England. All Scots are good fighters. I just prefer the style of fightin that we use where I'm from. A lot more effective. So, ye have a real mind and are not afraid to speak it. Not very many ladies are like that. Many men would not like that about ye. Yer lucky that I don't mind at all." He grinned at her and laughed again before eating a little more of the food in front of him.
 
Brinna was unsure how to awncer she was pleased by his responce and that was unusual all of its own accord, tho she would like to take him to the training grounds and show him how well she could fight.. She had been about to offer such a challange when her maid Mara.. Brigids sister came running to the hall. Lady.... Crispin has brought word ..Tis Brigid tis time.. The barrin comes..

Brinna had already gotten to her feet as soon as Mara had entered and looking at Andrew MacKay she said.. I must go.. and left taking off at a dead run behind Mara. Knowing the lad who had broght the news would also have told his uncle the stable master and that her horse would be saddled and ready to ride into the village and Brigids home.

Brinna arrived in time Conner Brigids husbend was waiting outside along with his da and two older son's. Brinna dismounted and greeted Conner breifly.. Conner..

Lady.. tis glad we are ye came.. She clasped arms with him breifly and left him with the other males and entered the small hut. The midwife and other women of the family had already been sent for and were present.

It was a long hard labor and Conner had to be held back twice from entring the hut by his sons and his own da, before it was over, and the crys of a baby could be heard from with in. Brinna opened the door to allow the men entry.. Ye have a girl this time Conner.. Twas a hard laybor but both mother and barron are well.. With that she handed the child over to her father and stepped outside into the cool eveing air.

Her clothing and hair was damp with sweat from the heat of the cottage and a bit blood spattered, but not much she had washed her hands and face before opening the door to the men, but now she was tired, and eleted from a job well done.

Mara opened the door and came out to join her.. Brigid and Conner wanted me ta gi ye there thanks ... Brinna smiled at her maid. tis well i should be it is only right that i am. We'll have a naming cermony in a few days once Brigid is feeling more up to moving about, and i want ye ta take a few weeks and stay to help yer sister around the cottage with things until she is stronger.. My old Nurse will be able ta handle in your sted until then.. Brinna Laughed as Mara hugged her and said thank you thank you a few times before letting go, and stepping back..

Miss i was wondering if i may be so bold... This one seems nothin like yer last suters and well he was yer brothers friend.. i no tis no my place but why did ye accuse him o' thinkin much like others do when ye knew he didnt if he did he ner would ha been friends with yer brother.. Brinna flushed a bit embarassed by her maids question and tho she knew she didnt have to awncer and could tell the maid to mind her own affairs they had been friends to long for her not to awncer.

Tis true i own that i needs apologize for that, now that i think back on it i keen he ment no insult and i thought wrong.. Brinna said ye like him then miss? He is a handsome devil and looks a fine warrior.. Mara asked.

Aye i do like him.. i have sence Ian and i found him when i was but a wee lass. I do want to marrie and have children one day.. its just that how do i know ive the right one... ive seen what marrage can do to some.. for some tis a grand thing full of love.. and others a nightmare they canna escape, for the law is as always with the husbend and a mon can beat his wife and i'll no be one of those.. I am happy as i am fer now.

Manny mon want only a puppet to sit pretty at there side and keep there mouths shut and let there husbends make all the decisions around them.... i would rather work with my husbend and be a partner at his side.. but i donna think such a mon exists who can accept me for me, with out trying to crush me in the process..I suppos tis not really the marrage i fear but what will happen after...


Mara looked at her Lady and smiled remembering what she did to her last suter.. I've a feeling that The MacKay is of a differnt ilk... he did prase ye for havin a brain in yer head and yer own thoughts aye?, and he isnt anythin like yer last suter Brinna smiled that was true he had seemed to appreceate her speaking her mind even tho she did owe him an apology... The memory of her last suter brought a frown and then a half smile as she remembered what she had done to him as well..

She had been in the village that day dressed as ushual a boy had come running across the road at his mothers call just as the man came riding threw the village, he didnt even slow his horse and would have run he boy down had Brinna not dived into the street and rolled across the ground with the boy to safty out of the way.

She had been checking the boy for injury when the mon had pulled his horse up short and turned it around cursing at them for having been in his path and bringing his riding whip up ment to strike them... She never would forget the look on his face when she caught the whip and after getting his identiy informed him of who she was Jerked the whip from his astonished hand and informed him his sute was not welcome and that he had come for nothing. She had then used the whip striking his horse and it sent him flying...

He had left, and not returned her father had been extreamly cross but once he had the tail full out from the villagers conferming her tail things had calmed and twas then he decided to seek out the MacKays, because he remembered Ian's friend and had hoped he had not yet wed she supposed..

Well then ye should go back inside i am fer the keep and a good bath afore the meal is surved.. and as i said me old nurse can tend my needs ye stay here and help yer sister for a few weeks and i'll see ye when ye return..

With that Mara went inside and Brinna stood and gathering her horse's reigns mounted and begain heading twords the keep.
 
Liard Buchanan had seen his daughter enter the keep and noted her appearnce, and frowned before remembering she had attented a birthing and had been there to welcome the newest memeber of the Clan into the world. So Lass was it a Lad or Lass we had born ta the clan this day?

Brinna smiled at her father and awncered tho she didnt see the MacKay at first she wasnt even aware that she was seeking him until her eyes rested on him standing near one of the harths in the great hall. Twas a bonnie wee lass da.. both her mam and the barron are well.. if yell excuse me i'll go and change into some clean clothing.

with that she left the men there and went to her chamber to find that the women antisapating her needing a soak after helping with the birth already had a bath prepaired. She sent one of them to find her old nurse to take Mara's place for a few weeks until Mara could return to her duties..

Brinna stepped down into the tub of hot water after removing her bloody cloths thankfully her body enjoying every bit of it, but knowing her father and Andrew waited for her she hurried in her bath washing her hair, and body with a Lavinder and rose scented soap.

Her old nurse had gotten out her green velvet gown trimed in silver along with the silver bands and her mothers necklace that she wore most eveings. and Begain helping Brinna to dress..

Brinnas father watched her go he had noticed that his daughters eyes sought out the Highlander and rested upon him once he had been spotted. He knew his daughter was fighting hard against her own feelings and would continue to do so, but at least with this man Andrew MacKay she was showing some interest.. tho he had to admit the last fellow had been a bad choice all around..

Tell me Lad... what do ye think o me daughter so far? he asked but not getting his hopes up too high just yet.. because the MacKay like most highlanders tended to fight off there own feelings as well until twas nearly too late... Were all a stubborn lot he thought and chuckled a bit at how true that statment was..
 
Last edited:
Andrew was surprised when suddenly a maid ran in and said a few hurried words. Brinna excused herself and then ran off. He was not sure quite what was going on, but did nto worry about it. He finished eating and then left the keep to take a ride around the village. He prepared his horse and started randomly exploring the town and the area around it. He spoke with a few people about various things. One person asked him if he was looking for Brinna and informed him that she was helping with a woman who was giving birth. He thanked the person and then returned to the keep. He explored the keep for a while and finally returned to the main hall.

he was standing by a hearth when the Laird entered. Soon after him, Brinna entered. She was in the same clothes as before, but she definitely looked like she had been in a hot room helping a woman give birth. For some reason she did not answer her father for a moment. He noticed her look toward him before speaking to her father and he wondered why. After she left, her father asked him about her and he tought for a moment. "She is a very interesting woman. I'll have to get to know her a little better before i can give a real opinion though. We have not really spoken very much since I arrived."
 
Brinna was dressed once more in a hunter green gown with silver brocade. Her hair braided in two braids at the side's of her head with a larger braid connecting them down her back.

Held in place by two silver band's one at the back of her head where the braids connected, and one at the end, holding it all in place. The only other ornament she wore was the necklace her mother had given her, a simple silver Celtic knot. The chain it hung from also made of silver. Her violet eyes looked back at her in the looking glass as she tryed not to wonder what the MacKay would think of the differance in apperance..

There would be dancing and entertainment tonight to celebrate his arrivle it wasnt only her father who hoped to see her wed but the clan too Brinna knew that but still wasnt sure if he was the one for her or not.. only time would tell..

Brinna rose then and made her way down the stairs to the main hall, Her people continued on as ushual becasue she did normaly dress for the evening meal rather than in leggings, and wasnt out of the ordanary for her or them.

Her father had already asked the musitions to play and so the dancing had begun and she was working on making her way threw the crowed to join her father and the MacKay by the harth, but stopped here and there to visit with those who called her name..

Another lad of about 19 who ushually practiced with her in the lists stopped her and asked for a dance.. Smiling and not really seeing anything wrong with it, she took his hand and went along with the flow and the merrie ment and begain to dance with the lad. Jamie was his name..

Her father laughed and shook his head.. She ner dose make it across the floor with out one dance at least, the only occasion i think she ner did was when she was ill, but that was long ago.. after she and her brother fished ye out o the bern if my thinking is correct... ye and Ian had gone off adventurn .. Come lad join the fun and go clam me daughter..
 
Last edited:
Andrew relaxed in the great hall for a while until guests started to arrive for some celebrations. He was introduced to a few people, but mostly stayed to the side. When Brinna arrived he noticed her start walking across the room. As he had expected, she could look very beautiful when she wanted to. However, beauty was not the most important thing to him.

As she made her way across the room she spoke to a few people, and finally a young lad asked her to dance. He smiled and wondered if the boy had feelings for her at all, or if he just wanted to dance. If the boy did care for Brinna, he would one day have his heart broken when she got married. He did not think her father would approve of the young man courting her. He cleared those thoughts from his head as the Laird spoke up next to him. He smiled and nodded and stepped onto the dance floor.

As he slowly made his way into the center of the crowd, he was not sure why he was. He was also not sure of what he would do. If he asked the boy if he could take his place during the durrent dance, he might seem like he was interested in Brinna, and he was still not sure about her. Instead, he went through the crowd to get a drink and waited for the song to be nearly over before thinking of what he would do next.
 
When the dance ended Brinna laughed and clapped with the others thanking the lad for the dance and then continued on her way to her father. A passing servent bringing her a drink. Da.. she said by way of greeting and stood by his side watching over the crowed seeing the happy faces of her people.

She noticed too the Highlander had made his way threw the crowed to get a drink and the maids who showed there attention some bold in there attentions others not quite so bold.. and Brinna noted again that he was handsome but looks were not all that counted in a marrage. Tho from her view point she couldnt tell if he were enjoying the maids attentions or not..

What are ye thinkin lass? That has that look on yer face.. Her father asked he too had noticed the unattatched serving wenches ever so kindly letting the MacKay know they were at his service should he decide he wanted some company. Tis nothin da... but ye should know tis more than looks i seek in a mon so if that is what yer countin on ta turn me head ye needs do better then that..

Brinna left her father then and rejoined the dancers in a celtic dance that switched partners sevrel times threw the dance so that she was with no one specific, before deciding that she needed some air one of the maids had found her and let her know that her father had taken his leave of the festivitys and sought his own bed for the night..

She thanked the maid and made her way to the battlements leaving the festivitys and the rest of the night for the others to enjoy, she had lost sight of Andrew in the crowed seeing him only from time to time always back from the others. She had thought to ask him to dance but didnt want to embarass him if he could not....

The cool night air felt good on her heated skin as she looked up at the stars, it was a clear night with few clouds in the sky, she took that as a good sign.. Mentaly she was thinking on visiting Brigid to see how she and the babe faired as well as going hunting for some game the Larder was in need of more meat for the comming months ahead.

Hearing a small sound behind her she turned to see what or who was the cause.. Show yerself... she said and waited..
 
Andrew noticed that as he got his drink some of the women noticed him. Soon he had maids attempting to attract his attention. He ignored them for the most part. He spoke to some who were attempting to be subtle until he was sure they were just like the others, he then moved away from them. After a while he got bored and decided to leave, looking at Brinna dancing just before going outside.

He made his way to the battlements and stood, staring out at the loch in the moonlight. It reminded him much of the Northern coast, except he could see land on the other side of the water. He took a deep breath and started thinking about what to do. The Laird seemed to be quite certain that Brinna would be a good match for him. she was also the sister of one of his good friends. She had even rescued him when he was young. Yet he still did not know enough to make a decision about her.

A while later he heard someone else arrive outside. He happened to be in the shadows and watched the person look up at the sky. The figure looked familiar, but he could only see a silhouette. He approached them slowly and surprised them. He heard Brinna speak up and tell him to reveal himself. He stepped out of the shadows and smiled at her. "I'm sorry about that Lady Brinna. I did nae mean te frighten ye."
 
Aye well i accept yer apologies... I would speak with ye awhile if i may... She said giving him the oprotunity to say yea or ney on wether he wished her company or not. Before she continued. Speekin o apologies i ow ye one as well.... fer thinkin ye would judge us much like other's from the highlands have, I should know better ye would na ha been friends with me brother if that were the case...

She paused there and looked up at him trying to see his features in the dark but unable to do so or guess his thoughts she looked out over the battlements at the Loch uncomfortable it wasnt that she never apologized but well she didnt normaly act that judgmentlay she supposed it was all this marrage buisness that had her so riled.. Looking back from the Loch to Andrew she spoke once more.... I would also as ye were me brothers friend like ta be honest with ye from the begining.... I've na liking for this arangement... Tis nothin agains ye.... but i've na wish to marrie anyone.
 
Last edited:
Andrew smiled as she accepted his appology for sneaking up on her accidentally. He smiled more as she appoligised for her assumption of his attitude about southern Scots earlier. He then watched as she turned toward the loch, obviously thinking about something. When she turned back he was not quite sure what to expect from her. As she spoke he smiled more and even laughed a little. "I understand ye. I did nae come here to find a wife. I came here to give the idea a chance. I yelled at my father when he told me about this. I'm here for a few days. After they are done, I'll decide whether I like ye enough to persue ye further. If I do, and ye still have no interest in me, I wan ye te tell me, and I will leave."
 
Brinna studdied the man infront of her tilting her head to the side a bit she liked his laugh it was something she could listen to for a long time.. Truly ye would let me go just like that ? She was amazed no man she had ever known would offer such an option, most wouldnt have cared wether she liked them or not.

Which was what caused her to start liking him all the more. I've plans to go hunting on the morrow for game, would ye care ta join me?
 
Back
Top