Isolated Blurt Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cat is having a toothache. :(

I'm taking her to the Vet first thing tomorrow!
 
Royal Opera House Cinema - Giselle

Last night three local cinemas showed Giselle live from the Royal Opera House, London. Two were sold out weeks ago. The screen we went to was the multiplex's largest and was three-quarters full.

The principals were Carlos Acosta and the Royal Ballet's new Prima Ballerina Natalia Osipova.

12017526793_95966f8a24_z.jpg


You can see what we saw before the performance started at: http://www.roh.org.uk/news/watch-behind-the-scenes-on-giselle

Osipova is a magnificent dancer and dramatic actress. Her switch from a Juliet style ingenue to a ghost in Act 2 was believable.

The Corps De Ballet seemed to have been inspired by the principals. The Wilis in Act 2 were beautiful but deadly dangerous. I couldn't quite believe that it could be feasible to kill Carlos Acosta by forcing him to dance all of one night. That seemed like trying to drown a fish in water.

But he made the unlikely seem just about possible.

If you get the opportunity to see the Royal Ballet at a local movie house, don't miss them. The transmitted productions are better than being there because you get a view that even the most expensive seats at the Royal Opera House don't get - and interviews with the stars, the director and the choreographer.

The next ballet is The Sleeping Beauty on Wednesday 19th March. If it is near you, try to see it.
 
Last edited:
Sorry, Ogg, but the Ballet remains a bit of a closed book to me.
But sometimes the music is nice (Dance of the Knights, for instance, or that famous Mazurka).
 
Sorry, Ogg, but the Ballet remains a bit of a closed book to me.
But sometimes the music is nice (Dance of the Knights, for instance, or that famous Mazurka).

Seeing one of the standard works at a cinema is a good introduction - The Nutcracker, La Fille Mal Gardée, Giselle.

The plots are fairly simple. It is the combination of dance and gesture that gives the meaning.

Here is a guide to
ballet gestures

and with short video demonstrations: Tell a story

Of course, dedicated ballet watchers KNOW the story.

The price at a cinema is slightly more than a standard movie but affordable while seeing a live performance from a reasonable seat is not!
 
Last edited:
Seeing one of the standard works at a cinema is a good introduction - The Nutcracker, La Fille Mal Gardée, Giselle.

The plots are fairly simple. It is the combination of dance and gesture that gives the meaning.

Here is a guide to
ballet gestures

The price at a cinema is slightly more than a standard movie but affordable while seeing a live performance from a reasonable seat is not!

Ballet as a sport ??
OK. I'll read it. Thanks for the pointer.
 
We are fishing for a fish we lost trying to fish the MWD tool that the wireline broke on. All of this inside 5" drill pipe because we needed to remove the MWD tool from the stuck drill assembly that got stuck because we lost circulation.

One little cause and a lot of effects. :rolleyes:
 
We are fishing for a fish we lost trying to fish the MWD tool that the wireline broke on. All of this inside 5" drill pipe because we needed to remove the MWD tool from the stuck drill assembly that got stuck because we lost circulation.

One little cause and a lot of effects. :rolleyes:

And it's difficult to see at a depth of 9000 odd feet, I guess.

I cannot find a suitable panel-mounted fuse holder for a blade fuse of 30A.
This is a bloody nuisance. :(

Now, where's that coffee ?????
 
We are fishing for a fish we lost trying to fish the MWD tool that the wireline broke on. All of this inside 5" drill pipe because we needed to remove the MWD tool from the stuck drill assembly that got stuck because we lost circulation.

One little cause and a lot of effects. :rolleyes:




Rowan Fighting Out-of-Control Natural Gas Well in Gulf

By David Wethe and Mark Chediak
January 30, 2014


Workers are trying to stop the flow of natural gas from an out-of-control well being drilled by Rowan Companies Plc in the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Louisiana.

There has been no fire, explosion or oil spill, said Jonathan Garrett, chief operating officer of EnVen Energy Ventures LLC, the well operator that hired Rowan.

“It’s blowing gas and formation water. We are circulating seawater to try to get it under control,” said Garrett. “We’re very concerned about a fire and taking all the precautions we can to keep that from happening.”

Rowan and EnVen, a privately held producer based in Metairie, Louisiana, evacuated 42 non-essential workers from Rowan’s “Louisiana” rig yesterday, while 37 remain to try to get the well under control.

Three boats are on standby at the shallow-water well site 108 miles (173 kilometers) southwest of Lafayette, Louisiana, in case they’re needed for additional evacuations, Garrett said.

The U.S. Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement, which oversees offshore drilling, is monitoring the situation.

Rowan’s rig, hired by EnVen, was operating on top of a platform fed by six already-producing wells, Garrett said in a phone interview. When the company lost control of drilling on a seventh well beneath the platform, production on those six existing wells was stopped. The Bureau of Safety confirmed “all production was shut-in and remains shut-in.” Garrett declined to say how much the wells were producing.

All engines on the platform and rig -- potential ignition sources -- were turned off. The flow of gas, water and drilling fluids was diverted overboard, consistent with the emergency plan for the situation, Garrett said. To help prevent fire, seawater is being pumped into and over the flow stream, he said.

“All of the well-control equipment is functioning as designed,” Suzanne Spera, a spokeswoman at Houston-based Rowan, said in a phone interview.

The companies have called an outside well-control expert to the site, and plan to start pumping heavy drilling mud into the well bore to try to block the flow, Garrett said. There is a possibility also that the well bore could collapse on itself, which could stop the flow...

more...
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...trol-incident-in-u-s-gulf-shallow-waters.html
 
Our situation is quite different. We lost returns and back off with cuttings around the bit. There is very little in the way of shows above the bit. We free pointed the pipe and backed it off after jarring on the drill string for four or five days. We circulated out and had a whole 188 units of gas max. Less than .02% gas by volume max.

We are tripping out of the hole to check the pipe. After inspecting the pipe and the rig for damages from jarring, we will pick up another recovery sting and go back in to try and retrieve what we have left in the hole.

Just another day in the oil fields.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top