What happened to all of the doom and gloom economic threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Queen Elizabeth attended the opening of a new building at the London School of Economics in November 2008, she asked the academics, "Why did nobody notice it?" How could a global financial meltdown sneak up on the crème de la crème of the economics profession? One professor's answer: "At every stage, someone was relying on somebody else and everyone thought they were doing the right thing."

The lady who knighted Greenspan for his contribution to "global stability" might like to know that Austrian theory provided the crystal ball that helped numerous commentators announce the train wreck well in advance of its arrival — and that according to Austrian theory only a train wreck can occur when money grows on trees. If someone had briefed her on the Austrians before her visit, she might have had the new building razed rather than dedicated. Given that her portfolio lost £25 million, the professor is lucky to have his head.

Books by Rothbard, Mises, Hayek, de Soto, Hülsmann, Paul, and Sennholz, among others — and all published before the meltdown — explain in detail what happens when government officials and bankers get together and take over the country's money supply. In brief, they subject everyone to an unaccountable monopoly called a central bank, enact legal-tender laws to force acceptance of the central bank's fiat paper notes, and abolish or cripple through regulations the autonomous market monies, gold and silver.

Under modern central banking, an economy endures chronic monetary inflation, wealth redistribution, trade cycles, an obsession with Fed rhetoric, confiscation of savings, malinvestment of resources, impoverishment of the poor and middle class, enrichment of the politically connected, institutionalized moral hazard, mass delusion as a norm, and mushrooming government growth. The central-banking system and its spurious currency amount to a doomsday machine that could topple civilization itself.[17]

http://mises.org/daily/4668

You might actually want to "READ" this one U_D...

http://mises.org/daily/4668

You might actually want to "READ" this one U_D...

Nothing I wouldn't expect to come from the Mises Institute. In the end, it's just another Ron Paul call to return to the gold standard and "end the Fed".

But it wasn't the "Fed" that caused the meltdown the author of the article complains of, but unregulated banking. Which he insists the cure is, guess, LESS regulations on banking.

Typical "we don't need no gubmint" bullshit. No surprise that you're in agreement.

Nothing I wouldn't expect to come from the Mises Institute. In the end, it's just another Ron Paul call to return to the gold standard and "end the Fed".

But it wasn't the "Fed" that caused the meltdown the author of the article complains of, but unregulated banking. Which he insists the cure is, guess, LESS regulations on banking.

Typical "we don't need no gubmint" bullshit. No surprise that you're in agreement.

We were on the gold standard and went off it when it became inconvenient for those in power. I never really understood what was supposed to insure that this wouldn't happen every time. "Objective Law",. I guess.

We were on the gold standard and went off it when it became inconvenient for those in power. I never really understood what was supposed to insure that this wouldn't happen every time. "Objective Law",. I guess.

The Gold Standard made money supply too inflexible.

When money is pegged to a fixed commodity, the only way for it to increase is for that commodity to increase. This 'inelasticity' of the money supply was evident in the 1800s when interest rose sharply during planting season (when borrowing was greatest), and fell sharply during harvest season (when loans were paid off).

So, how much more money does obama need to spend/waste in order to “fix” the economy?

Thank god you don’t have to pay taxes

The Gold Standard made money supply too inflexible.

When money is pegged to a fixed commodity, the only way for it to increase is for that commodity to increase. This 'inelasticity' of the money supply was evident in the 1800s when interest rose sharply during planting season (when borrowing was greatest), and fell sharply during harvest season (when loans were paid off).

I guess we need a Constitutional Amendment then.

I guess we need a Constitutional Amendment then.
Well, there's already this:

From the US Constitution Article I Section VIII:

Congress shall have the power to... coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures.

I don't see why any Amendment might be required.

We are condemned to a politically corruptible system of fiat currency. What would the market decide to accept as a means of exchange if it were free to do so?
Fiat currency is the only option, now.

That's not bad, in itself, but in 1913, the system was taken over by private bankers who knew they could make money off the idea. They would "loan" the money out, and then charge interest on it.

Fiat currency is the only option, now.

That's not bad, in itself, but in 1913, the system was taken over by private bankers who knew they could make money off the idea. They would "loan" the money out, and then charge interest on it.

The history of compound interest started quite a bit before 1913.

Well, there's already this:

From the US Constitution Article I Section VIII:

Congress shall have the power to... coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures.

I don't see why any Amendment might be required.

There seems to be some controversy about the interpretation of this part of the Constitution.

Article I Section 10:

No state shall enter into any treaty, alliance, or confederation; grant letters of marque and reprisal; coin money; emit bills of credit; make anything but gold and silver coin a tender in payment of debts; pass any bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law impairing the obligation of contracts, or grant any title of nobility.
I stand corrected.

Comprehension has never been your long suit.

:(

Byron. Gold would just be worth more...

It's not HOW MUCH we have, it's what we TRADE it for. Not that I am a fan of the gold standard, but I am not a fan of these quasi-governmental institutions that don't seem to answer to anybody and like Fannie and Freddie have the power to purchase Franks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back