Star City- The Heroes of Tomorrow OOC

Sure thing........ So, is this thread still alive?

It's in something of an induced coma, but still breathing.

Lunar is going through some pretty serious stuff IRL and he's really desperately hoping to come back soon.

I've been thinking of filling in for him as best as I can but I've been swamped with the "New Wave" stuff and haven't had time to pull the trigger on the ideas kicking around. Plus, this is Lunar's baby, it wouldn't be nearly the same without him.

Stay tuned, though.
 
It's in something of an induced coma, but still breathing.

Lunar is going through some pretty serious stuff IRL and he's really desperately hoping to come back soon.

I've been thinking of filling in for him as best as I can but I've been swamped with the "New Wave" stuff and haven't had time to pull the trigger on the ideas kicking around. Plus, this is Lunar's baby, it wouldn't be nearly the same without him.

Stay tuned, though.

I surely will.
 
Not a huge fan, but maybe once I knock the writers rust off.

Nevyn_Black is doing some terrific stuff over in Star Wars: The Legacy (OOC) and it might be fun to work some more Firefly influence into our ragtag crew. I don't have official permission to invite you (yet) but please have a look and see if it would strike your fancy.

I'm not particularly fluent in Star Wars either but I'm managing with my rudimentary knowledge and Wookiepedia.
 
Nevyn_Black is doing some terrific stuff over in Star Wars: The Legacy (OOC) and it might be fun to work some more Firefly influence into our ragtag crew. I don't have official permission to invite you (yet) but please have a look and see if it would strike your fancy.

I'm not particularly fluent in Star Wars either but I'm managing with my rudimentary knowledge and Wookiepedia.

Oki doki
 

b2ca0b7e181810776bb98829a3b89e7a.jpg
 
I DO so miss this. I was thinking about starting a thread for fun, where Jaime Reyes becomes the JSA department shrink. Imagine Batman coming in, full dressed in the cowl, to talk about his parents.
 
Haha that would be fun actually, just think about how many superheroes will actually come in to talk about their losses
 
Power Girl, with the way her identity jumps around with each Crisis...

...except Identity Crisis, oddly enough.
 
Mmmmm Powergirl....

Aaaaaanyroad

Oz Lupo, just letting you know that if you like my post and agree, just write a small hunting spider or ant onto the arrow, if not I will edit and go another route.

Thanks
 
Rose Mary Anderson, Element Girl of Earth-1294500.

Once Upon a Time, in The Nineties...

500px-Lacy_Rand.jpg


VMaErYe.png


Celebrity Faceclaim:
Magda Apanowicz

Name:
Rose Mary Anderson

Alias:
Element Girl
Ten of Hearts (formerly)

Base of Operations:
Keystone-Central/Happy Harbor.

Alignment: (Good/Bad/Antihero)
Good, she hopes.

Affiliations:
Young Justice (probationary membership)
Locus (formerly)
Royal Flush Gang, Keystone City Branch (formerly)

Family:
Ceri Gwyneth Anderson, née Lewellyn (mother, deceased)
Robert "Bob" Anderson (step-father, deceased)
(biological father undisclosed)
Steven "Stevie" Anderson (step-uncle, hospitalized)
J'onn J'onzz, Martian Manhunter, aka John Jones (legal guardian)

Friends:
Bartholomew Henry Allen II (boyfriend)

Rose has yet to be fully integrated and accepted into the team. But she will, I hope, before too very long.

Age:
18

Bio:

Once upon a time, Earth fell under the gazing eye of an alien race called The Appellaxians, psychic energy beings who inhabited host bodies in order to operate in the physical world. Twenty years ago, agents of The Appellaxians began to lay the groundwork for conquering Earth, and among these agents was a human faction, a secret society of genetic engineers called "Locus."

The Appellaxians sought to use Earth as a battleground-- seven warriors, guided by a superior, would fight each other on Earth, and whomever succeeded in conquering the planet would become the next ruler of The Appellaxians. In turn, Locus would help prepare Earth for this conquest and for Appellaxian occupation. They would reduce the population of native human "carbonforms," alter the biosphere, and create bodies for themselves that could survive and thrive in this new Appellaxian standard.

One scientist working for Locus was named Bob Anderson. He was intelligent and he was dedicated, a true believer in the plan. But he had a... softer heart than some people in Locus' employ, perhaps because of a brother who struggled with mental illness and frequent hospitalization. Thus, while Locus discouraged fostering deep connections to those outside Locus-- when the Appellaxian overlords came, after all, it would be easier to cut ties with the old world when you had few ties to cut --Bob found himself falling in love with a beautiful blue-eyed Welshwoman named Ceri, single mother to a baby daughter named Rose.

Shortly after Ceri and Robert were married, Ceri died under mysterious circumstances. Robert was never entirely certain that his superiors at Locus hadn't done something to her to remind him of where his loyalties lay. Of course, suddenly he found himself saddled with a baby stepdaughter, which was just as real a connection to the outside world, if not moreso, and yet he needed to encourage his masters of his continued belief in Locus' cause. And thus he proposed an experiment.

Just as Locus were employing various technologies to try and develop ways to survive the coming ecological shift, so too would Anderson use this young girl as a living, growing petri dish to develop a way for humans to become ultimate adaptors. To partake of whatever conditions surrounded them to become strong survivors.

As Rose grew, Anderson mapped her genome, studied the secret origins of the various superheroes of the bygone Justice Society... and watched the rise of a new breed of superhuman as the world entered The Silver Age of Superheroes. He sought to unravel the ways by which humans are transformed into superhumans. All the while, he told Rose that the discomfort she was suffering was for a greater good, for the transformation of the world.

Ten years ago, when Rose had just turned eight, the seven Appellaxian warriors and their superior crashed to Earth in the form of meteors. The seven hatched into elemental creatures-- made of wood, crystal, glass, stone, mercury, gold, and fire --though the eighth almost perished and had to hide away in a human body, biding his time. The elemental warriors strove to conquer the planet, but were each subdued by a superhero-- The Flash, Green Lantern, Black Canary, Martian Manhunter, Aquaman, and Superman. Six of these would go on to form The Justice League of America in response to threats such as these, whilst Superman would serve as their ally in time of need.

Though horrified at the warriors' defeat, Locus remained resourceful and resolute, and managed to steal one warrior's corpse for analysis. Various avenues of research would be performed upon the body of The Golden Roc, but for Robert Anderson's purposes, he needed only a single sample of its alien DNA.

Using what he had learned, Anderson managed to introduce the Appellaxian DNA into Rose's human genome using painful, extensive genetic therapies-- creating a human girl that could nevertheless touch any substance and physically become it-- or touch any energy and absorb it, storing it and manipulating it within her carbonform-- the ultimate adaptive opportunist.

But even as Anderson succeeded here, so too did he make a crushing discovery. Somewhere in Rose's genetic structure there was a superhuman gene, a latent "x-factor" that catalyzed a transformation into a superpowered being in order to facilitate survival. It was this x-factor (later to be named the metagene when again discovered by the invading alien Dominators) that enabled Rose to bond and integrate with the Appellaxian DNA, not just his genetic engineering. And unlocking the secrets of that x-factor in order to duplicate the effects for Locus' army would take more time than Locus could afford. That, coupled with the pain and duration of the transformative process, caused Locus' superiors to lean instead towards transferring Locus' human minds into an army of hulking purple protoplasmic gene-grafted biomechanoid bodies that could then each duplicate Appellaxian warrior powers.

With this decision, Bob Anderson resigned himself somewhat to the new coming world. When the time came to cut all worldly ties, he broke up with his girlfriend, awkwardly parted company with his neighbors, said goodbye to his mentally-ill brother... and shut Rose away in a stasis pod for later dissection and analysis, the fate of all failed experiments.

But between his brother's tearful inability to understand, and the look of fearful betrayal on Rose's face as the stasis effect kicked in, Robert Anderson decided then to travel to The Justice League's headquarters in Happy Harbor, Rhode Island, and reveal Locus' plans to them. Unfortunately, his attempt at redemption came too little, too late-- as the Appellaxian superior, still hiding in a human mind and body, murdered Anderson with an energy weapon before he could meet with any Leaguers.

Despite suffering divisions and distrust, The JLA would come together as a team and successfully unite Earth's superhumans to defeat first Locus' army and then an invading force of Appellaxians that threatened to dominate the globe. In the aftermath, The JLA would seek to disassemble what they could of Locus' operations. And in the process, J'onn J'onzz, Martian Manhunter, would discover a sleeping mind in a stasis pod, and free the young girl therein. In her confusion upon waking, her hibernation sickness, Rose received the news from J'onn and Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) that Locus-- the organization she'd sacrificed her body and innocence for --had been subdued, and her father was dead. She did not handle it well.

Surprising both men with her speed and ferocity, Rose lunged for Green Lantern, latching onto his Ring hand and absorbing the tiniest fraction of its Green energy--

--in an instant, she used it to ignite a fireball, injuring J'onn and briefly blinding Hal--

--and then flew off, as fast and as invisible as she could manage with what little Green she had, managing to escape even J'onn's impossible senses.

Nine years later, when Rose was 17, J'onn found her again.

She had made it to the Midwestern city of Keystone. She had fallen into the foster system, pinballing from family to family, trouble always finding her if she wasn't making it herself. She spent time on the streets, fell in with local criminals as an enforcer--

--until she got the attention of the local branch of The Royal Flush Gang, by now a franchise spread out across the country. She started out as a lower pip, but with her powerset and grim tenacity she quickly advanced through the ranks even at so young an age, becoming a Ten of Hearts.

10HeartsI.jpg


When Wally West, the current Flash, subdued The Gang, he enlisted the help of a couple of his teammates at The JLA, including J'onn. And when J'onn helped stop The Ten of Hearts, her powers seemed familiar-- and the imprint of her mind, also, was not forgotten to him.

During the legal proceedings involving the incarceration of the Gang members, Rose's juvenile nature came to light. Sitting aside and talking with her in the guise of John Jones, police officer, J'onn came to realize the deep conflicts and neglects that ran through her life, her history, her soul.

Abandoned by her father as a failed guinea pig (for he died without her knowing he intended to go back for her), confronted by superheroes who had all but wiped out the organization she'd given her literal blood and marrow to before snuffing out its cause... In that moment and all the ones leading up to it, and all the moments since, she had been convinced at a young age that the only guarantee of loyalty in this life is to make yourself... useful... and to take whatever you chances you get to scrape by. You were only ever worth the advantages you could provide, and the advantages you took for yourself.

And J'onn decided to try his best to show this young woman that there was more to life and love and loyalty than all that. As part of the legal process, Rose's juvenile records were sealed, her criminal past locked away. J'onn petitioned the courts that this should be Rose's time for a second chance. And that he, respected police detective, would be personally responsible for her. He became her legal guardian, and she his ward. This process took a year.

Over the course of that year, J'onn also introduced the concept of using her powers for the good of others. Defending people from the abuses kith and kin to the ones that Rose had suffered. Using JLA resources, he fashioned her a uniform. And he proposed a name to her, in memory of Urania Blackwell, an all-but-forgotten Metamorphae woman who had failed as a superhuman government agent but had somehow found peace in Death. He dubbed her "Element Girl."

Just after she turned 18, J'onn introduced her to a small team of young superheroes and superheroines that had gathered as a sort of-- de facto junior version of the current Justice League. A "Young Justice."

She will, perhaps, learn from them a greater purpose. A greater depth of friendship and a moral code.

She is tired of being manipulated. She's going to take what's hers. And just maybe... what's hers, despite everything that's come before, is a hero's life.

Powers/Abilities:

As a tactile absorber/omnimorph Element Girl possesses the ability to copy and absorb and become things she touches. She can transform her entire body into a living version of a substance-- down to the last cell-- and even her clothes-- by extrapolating any sample big enough to touch (which is to say, she can't do it from a microscopic sample). When she absorbs a substance, she takes on its physical and chemical properties (the strength and conductivity of stainless steel, the chemical inertia of gold)-- but she also tends to copy its visual attributes as well: for instance, if she touches a fire hydrant painted red, she takes on the sturdy nature of its metals, but she also gains a layer of red paint; if she touches a plush toy, her dermis takes on the appearance of the toy (felt, button eyes), as her insides become, well, stuffed with fluff.

Rose can morph into mundane substances like steel, brick, rubber, plastic. But she can also morph into supernormal substances-- things like Kryptonite, promethium, enchanted metals like Wonder Woman's Aegis vambraces, Nth-Metal and its 31st Century isotope valorium.

She prefers solids because she prefers the straightforward nature of punching and kicking. She can also copy liquids and gases, but she has a hard time holding onto her shape, her physical form. The one exception to this is mercury.

In fact, perhaps as a side effect of her Appellaxian DNA, she is best at manifesting the substances utilized by the original seven warrior gladiators that arrived on Earth. Wood, diamond crystal, mercury, glass, stone, gold, and fire.

Yeah, fire.

Rose can also absorb energies and energetic reactions and store them in her cells, sponging them up like a living battery and then emitting and manipulating them to willed effects. She does not become energy through and through like she does with physical substances-- her body remains unchanged, human and organic-- though she can wreath herself, sheath herself in energies if she absorbs it in sufficient quantity. Unlike substances, she cannot replicate energies she absorbs-- all she has is the amount available for her to absorb. If she absorbs the flame from a cigarette lighter, all she will have available is a little puff of fire, just a flash-- but if she absorbs the deluge of a flamethrower, she has much more to work with.

Just as with physical substances, she can absorb mundane things like light, electricity, heat, but she can also absorb magic, psychokinetic waveforms, zeta beams, extradimensional radiations, Green Lantern's Light, chronal energies, The Speed Force.

She cannot hold as much energy in her body as many aliens or magical beings or energy-based superhumans, nor can she retain as much energy as many artifacts... Superman would not exhaust his supply of solar energy trying to max her out with his heat vision, for instance, nor would Triumph note even a dip in his electromagnetic powers.

But she can hold more electricity, for instance, than it would take to power a city block for a month.

She cannot become a physical substance and hold energy-- she has to shed a material morph in order to sponge up power, though she can do so relatively instantly. Additionally, she cannot morph multiple materials at once (unless it's a side effect of presenting the physical appearance of a thing she's touched), or retain multiple energy-forms.

Rose is also, again, limited by the amount of a substance there is. A mere bullet or an injecting needle would be enough for her to become entirely metal and repel the attack of said bullet or needle. But if she's injected with a trace amount of poison, she cannot absorb and become the poison to prevent its effect on her, and is just as vulnerable to it as any other human. If she's injured in her human state, she can become another strong solid substance to help her keep standing, moving, fighting, but as soon as she reverts to her normal form, she will exhibit those injuries again and require medical attention. On the other hand, if she is dented or dinged or broken while in a material morph, she can undo that damage by reverting to "carbonform" mode.

When she absorbs a substance or an energy, she has a sensory awareness of her shift in structure or composition-- she can synaesthetically "taste" substances and energies she's absorbed in order to tell them apart, though this is more qualia than quantification and she cannot always (sometimes but not always) describe the precise differences between, say, uranium isotopes or different wavelengths of light.

Rose is a brawler, a style-less fighter, but he has picked up an aptitude for combat while working with crooks and particularly with The Royal Flush Gang. She's hardly the expert that some members of YJ are, especially the consummate professional that Robin is, but she can hold her own for the most part.

Rose also has an upbringing in various sciences as a result of working with (and being worked on by) her Locus father for almost the whole first decade of her life, and has a fairly pragmatic understanding of the various substances and energies she's used to fight with. She also knows snippets about fighting various superhumans, thanks to Locus' and their agents' battles against The Justice League and The Doom Patrol and other superheroes ten years ago.​
 
Last edited:
Back
Top