Oz invents brutal new approach to tourists

Don't be telling porkies now, EB. You didn't warn them about ......

251f694e8dd6b686093972f8d62a68aa--drop-bear-the-killers.jpg

My great uncle got drunk at a party once and had to go to hospital after trying to pick up a koala. Let's just say that they have very sharp claws.

My great uncle got drunk at a party once and had to go to hospital after trying to pick up a koala. Let's just say that they have very sharp claws.

I got to cuddle a koala at a wildlife park in Adelaide. You had to put on these armor shirt things to protect you from the claws. So I did my cute chinese thing with my best fake chinese accent and asked the ranger "What do they taste like" and there was a chinese tour group there and they were all like "yes, yes, how do you cook them?" and my beloved kind of did this "I'm going to kill you, Chloe" look and the Ranger looked at me like I was some sort of alien monster and I cracked up laughing. And my chinese wasn't good enough to explain to the chinese tour group I was joking.... and they all wanted koala recipes.... that poor Ranger .... :eek:

Not much has to go wrong in the Top End (Northern Territory) for you to die. It is a tad more than twice the size of Texas with less than 1% of Texas' population, 244,000 compared with 25 million - and Texas ain't too crowded.

They always knew where he was but there was no-one around to help out till it was too late.

Interestingly the US Marines have just opened an advanced joint training area in the NT with the Australian special forces, where they train soldiers how to operate in tropical and desert conditions. Lesson 1 apparently, is how not to get lost.

Not much has to go wrong in the Top End (Northern Territory) for you to die. It is a tad more than twice the size of Texas with less than 1% of Texas' population, 244,000 compared with 25 million - and Texas ain't too crowded.

They always knew where he was but there was no-one around to help out till it was too late.

Interestingly the US Marines have just opened an advanced joint training area in the NT with the Australian special forces, where they train soldiers how to operate in tropical and desert conditions. Lesson 1 apparently, is how not to get lost.

Yeah, NT is probably the most dangerous part of Australia. Practically everything that can kill you in Australia you can find there.

Yeah, NT is probably the most dangerous part of Australia. Practically everything that can kill you in Australia you can find there.

Including, now, US Marines.

See, even the hardest men know where to go to find it harder.

I got to cuddle a koala at a wildlife park in Adelaide

That will be Cleland, the same guys who posted the "breeding drop bears" article I posted above.

You don't have 8 foot, 1500 lb. grizzly bears down there, so that's a plus.

Ha ha ha, I laugh at you. Good try.. but... no. Try this (scroll down, big croc)

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...l/news-story/35694b280d2b3fcca1ade8ae590f4e3b

You don't have 8 foot, 1500 lb. grizzly bears down there, so that's a plus.

You can see and hear grizzly bears approaching.

Many species of dangerous Australian wild life are small, or secretive, or both. The danger you don't see is more of a threat than something the size of a small truck.

The funnel web spider likes hiding under toilet seats. You are not safe from deadly Australian fauna even in the restroom.

Or in bed:

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...e/news-story/d2a0358c13574494610ceeb1debaf04d

Today in OZ:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/quickthin...r-funnel-web-spider-bite-20180112-h0hedk.html

If a grizzly wants to attack you, you'll be lucky if you see or hear it before it's on you.

But I get your point...

You don't normally find grizzlies in your bedroom or rest room. If you do, you are living in an area where grizzlies are a known threat.

Anywhere in Australia - city, town or open country - something small can get you.

To quote Bill Bryson from In A Sunburned Country:

“The taipan is the one to watch out for. It is the most poisonous snake on Earth, with a lunge so swift and a venom so potent that your last mortal utterance is likely to be: "I say, is that a sn--”

My most recent story was set in the Northern Territory capital city Darwin, about a young couple who are meant for each other who have a chance meeting. Unfortunately, this happens at Christmas in 1974.

You can see and hear grizzly bears approaching.

Many species of dangerous Australian wild life are small, or secretive, or both. The danger you don't see is more of a threat than something the size of a small truck.

...except if you're in the NT near a body of water, in which case the danger you don't see might well be something the size of a small truck. Salties look so fat and ponderous on land, but in water they just disappear.

My most recent story was set in the Northern Territory capital city Darwin, about a young couple who are meant for each other who have a chance meeting. Unfortunately, this happens at Christmas in 1974.

A girl and a guy called Croc. Got it.

...except if you're in the NT near a body of water, in which case the danger you don't see might well be something the size of a small truck. Salties look so fat and ponderous on land, but in water they just disappear.

Or you could be 50kms inland in freshwater and still find a bull shark at lake wivenhoe.

And Croc's heart is through his stomach

A chance encounter. Instant attraction. A snappy come-on. A short swim followed by Christmas dinner for Croc..... what's not to like.

Just curious. What was special about Christmas 1974?

What was special about Christmas, 1974?

A cyclone.

A very big cyclone.

Christmas day, a barbeque, and a fucking cyclone. That is so very Aussie; sadly also a killer, with 65 lives lost - Darwin was literally blown off the face of the earth, Christmas Day, 1974.

Last edited:
A cyclone.

A very big cyclone.

Christmas day, a barbeque, and a fucking cyclone. That is so very Aussie; sadly also a killer, with 65 lives lost - Darwin was literally blown off the face of the earth, Christmas Day, 1974.

Yeah cyclone Tracy, I think. Completely demolished the whole town. Like I said, everything deadly, be it animals, plants, weather or people can be found in the Northern Territory.

A cyclone.

A very big cyclone.

Oddly enough Tracy was a very small cyclone, only 35 miles across, the smallest recorded world wide until the even smaller Hurricane Marco (28 miles diameter) a few years back in the Carribean, but Tracy was an intense Cat 4 and hit a small city that was very badly built.

Oz has had a number of Cat 5's but none has ever hit a major population centre. Yasi in 2011 was huge; it killed no-one, but it wiped out 90% of the Banana crop! One day either Cairns or Townsville in Tropical North Queensland will get hit and that will be nasty.

Oddly enough Tracy was a very small cyclone, only 35 miles across, the smallest recorded world wide until the even smaller Hurricane Marco (28 miles diameter) a few years back in the Carribean, but Tracy was an intense Cat 4 and hit a small city that was very badly built.

Oz has had a number of Cat 5's but none has ever hit a major population centre. Yasi in 2011 was huge; it killed no-one, but it wiped out 90% of the Banana crop! One day either Cairns or Townsville in Tropical North Queensland will get hit and that will be nasty.

You're right, it was a baby - but you look at its inbound path to Darwin, a pilot couldn't have landed it more accurately - right over the Post Office, just about. Mind you, Darwin only had a population of 50,000 or so at the time, and as you say, not the best building code....

Back