Operation Love Yourself

Day 17: Friday Fun

It's Friday.

Today's task.
latest

Have fun.
Whatever that looks like.
Go dancing, go to a movie (I recommend Deadpool, though I laughed and cried at that one), have some cocktails, play board games,flirt with someone new, sit outside and watch the kids play, go to a concert, pull out your hula hoop, have an orgasm (by yourself or with a friend) whatever you deem to be "Fun"
Do it.

I haven't given up. It's just hard. And I'm unhappy.

I'm ALLOWED to be unhappy. I have to keep giving myself permission to be sad if I am.

I'm not great at that. I tend to always want to be what people expect..
But I do miss feeling happy. I'm not great at being dark.

You probably won't like this either. But I say it because I want you to be, really be, happy. There's a difference between allowing yourself to be unhappy and encouraging yourself to be unhappy. Sometimes when I'm going through something shitty, I've caught myself smiling or laughing and it's almost like "Wait, I'm not happy right now, I can't be doing that." You get in a rut where you're used to being sad and it just feels...wrong...to realize you're coming out of it. I'm not saying don't ride out the full period of your sadness or be sad if that's what you're really feeling at the moment. But it will take work if you want growth and real happiness to come out of this experience. Don't do it because others expect it of you, do it for yourself. Even if you just take baby steps, like the affirmations spoken to the mirror. Or having that bit of fun. The more you put your mind in a positive place, the more it will bring you into the light again. You are doing great! Don't get discouraged. If you do, pick yourself up and keep on!

Last edited:
I knew someone who was going through a rough time several months ago.As many of you know, I travel all over the place including internationally. One of the things I love to do while I am abroad is to buy things uniquely local to where I am. In the fall I was in Poland. It was a surprisingly magical place. One of the things I bought while I was there, were several beautiful little notebooks. I gave one of them to my dear friend as a gift with one simple request.

Every evening, before you go to bed, I asked them to reflect on their day and think about one positive thing they experienced that day. It could be anything. Nothing was too small or trivial. It could be a beautiful blue sky they notice at lunch. A kind greeting a stranger gave them. A commercial they saw that made them laugh. A delicious handful of fries at lunch. Anything.

The point being was to teach them to see there ARE good things that happen to everyone. Every day. And when you are down, it's hard to see it. And sometimes, often times, there are multiple things throughout the day, but they don't see them or recognize them for what they are.

This is something very private. Very personal. Very intimate. Not be shared with anyone. This is just... For you...

Good luck to all who are struggling...

D

The more you put your mind in a positive place, the more it will bring you into the light again. You are doing great! Don't get discouraged. If you do, pick yourself up and keep on!

This...

The point being was to teach them to see there ARE good things that happen to everyone. Every day. And when you are down, it's hard to see it. And sometimes, often times, there are multiple things throughout the day, but they don't see them or recognize them for what they are.

This is something very private. Very personal. Very intimate. Not be shared with anyone. This is just... For you...

Good luck to all who are struggling...

D

And this.

Sometimes it's hard to see the good things because we allow the darkness to intrude. Sometimes we just need someone to remind us how to take something and turn it around to see the good side of things.

The more you practice, the better at it you'll become.

Don't wait for your glitter to come back... make more!

Day 18:Visit with a friend

Friends bring out the best! Last Saturday I got to spend the day with the amazing Indie.
Last night a good friend ended up in town unexpectedly and I’m thrilled I’ll get to see her today.
Call a friend if you can’t see one and catch up.

Friends bring out the best! Last Saturday I got to spend the day with the amazing Indie.
Last night a good friend ended up in town unexpectedly and I’m thrilled I’ll get to see her today.
Call a friend if you can’t see one and catch up.

I am lucky enough to have an AMAZING group of women in my life that keep me sane. We get together at least once a month (my BFF is one of them and I see her lots more than that!) for whatever we can - movie, dinner, drag show, dinner theater, ghost tour...we are planning an "Axe Throwing Day" (that's a thing!) for our next time. And we do two overnights a year - one long weekend somewhere (Vegas, Disney, etc...) and one hotel/shopping/gift exchange at Christmas.

It is sooo important to have people in your life that you can escape with...that you can bitch about your spouse or bemoan that your kids rooms are disgusting...

I love these women dearly and appreciate how they allow me to be me...to laugh and sometimes cry without judgment. I can't imagine not having them as part of my life.

I won't see them this weekend because there are graduations, and lot of end of school stuff happening, but probably in the next week or so we will go out and throw axes at targets - and laugh a lot. It's good for the soul!

This is sort of related.
I see on here & in real life people saying, " I wish I told them I loved them" or wished they said something acknowledging how they feel about/appreciate a special person after they passed. I'm sure everyone has had this happen in their life.
4 years ago I had friends & relatives help me out driving me into the city for my radiation treatments. Also people would help out bringing meals over which my husband really appreciated. Once I recovered enough I thanked everyone from the bottom of my heart.

When I was in Barbados earlier this year I had 2 weeks by myself so I decided that when I get back I'm going to tell everyone that I love in my life what they mean to me. It took 2 months but I did it.
I now feel that if something ever was to happen to someone in my life which I'm hoping won't, I will know that all has been said between us. So I guess what I'm saying is dont wait, tell everyone that's special in your life how much they mean to you :heart:

L:rose:

This is sort of related.
I see on here & in real life people saying, " I wish I told them I loved them" or wished they said something acknowledging how they feel about/appreciate a special person after they passed. I'm sure everyone has had this happen in their life.
4 years ago I had friends & relatives help me out driving me into the city for my radiation treatments. Also people would help out bringing meals over which my husband really appreciated. Once I recovered enough I thanked everyone from the bottom of my heart.

When I was in Barbados earlier this year I had 2 weeks by myself so I decided that when I get back I'm going to tell everyone that I love in my life what they mean to me. It took 2 months but I did it.
I now feel that if something ever was to happen to someone in my life which I'm hoping won't, I will know that all has been said between us. So I guess what I'm saying is dont wait, tell everyone that's special in your life how much they mean to you :heart:

L:rose:

:heart::heart::heart: So true.
I'm thankful that with my mom's illness, it's given us time. That we have had long 3am conversations about life and love and how much she means to all of us. It's changed the way I am with many people now. :heart:
I say it more. I used to never say it at all. I still don't say it as often as I should.

Don't worry about being perfect, just be honest. I'll take honesty over sugar-coated lies every single time. Be truthful with yourself and with others.

I honestly didn’t have it in me to do a post today.
Thanks Indie.
selflovetips.jpg

Last edited:
Day 19

Don't worry about being perfect, just be honest. I'll take honesty over sugar-coated lies every single time. Be truthful with yourself and with others.

I couldn't agree more. Being genuine with others takes a little effort or none at all. It is better to say 'No' than to fake a 'yes' just to please others.

Being candid while being respectful earns a circle of a scarce yet real & right friendship.

There is nothing more liberating than being honest, more over with others is with yourself; the latter which is a very hard thing to do. :rose:

Day 20: Sorry.. not sorry.

drake-dont-apologize-for-who-you-are-quotes-62.jpeg

Stop apologizing.
I woke up this morning and looked at the posts I'd made last night when I was.. ahem... drunk on wine... not quite myself and started to delete things. Began to edit my posts while trying to think of a post for today and then I realized exactly what today needed to be.
There are a lot of articles and studies about how women in particular apologize too much and that's a cool conversation to have another time, honestly we all do it sometimes, but today... just don't do it.
Obviously apologize if you've done something awful, or mean, or hurt someone, especially inadvertently.
But today, don't apologize for who you are.
Don't say sorry for expressing an opinion, being too loud, too quiet, too emotional, not emotional enough, too needy, too aggressive, too timid, too anything.
Do. Not. Apologize.

Be yourself. Unapologeticly for once.

I know this is not my thread, but the thoughts from the last couple of days (being honest and not apologizing for who you are) have got me thinking...

We are all broken at some level. We all have baggage we carry with us that haunts us. And threatens every relationship we develop.

One of the greatest treasures we can find, is someone who will accept us unconditionally. It doesn't have to be a lover or even anyone from the opposite sex. But to find someone that will listen, who will accept you as you drop your layers of shame or regret. Someone you can expose yourself to and be free of judgement. LaCandy talks about having this with a few selects friends she sees every month. Newbie has spoken of this too. But they are fortunate. And rare. How many of us have someone like that in our lives? Few. Very few I would wager.

Judgement is really the issue isn't it? We judge ourselves. Harshly. Because we fixate on the successes of everyone around us. We see them as more beautiful, more successful, in more loving relationships than we have. And why do we see them that way and not see the dark side of their worlds? Because we see what we want. We fixate on the things we wish we had. People brag more about being happy because they want to be judged by the outside world as being successful. And because like so many of us here, we bury our dark side. Because we are embarrassed and ashamed.

We all need someone in our lives that does not judge us. They do not try to force their solutions on our problems (they can never know our full journey). They offer encourage, support and unconditional love and friendship. They help us work through our problems to find our own solutions. But most of all, they simply accept us as imperfect. Flawed. Vulnerable. Weak. And they teach us it's okay to be those things. Because they know the beautiful and love that resides in all of us. They see past all the superficial crap.

They are... Our safe place...

I know this is not my thread, but the thoughts from the last couple of days (being honest and not apologizing for who you are) have got me thinking...

We are all broken at some level. We all have baggage we carry with us that haunts us. And threatens every relationship we develop.

One of the greatest treasures we can find, is someone who will accept us unconditionally. It doesn't have to be a lover or even anyone from the opposite sex. But to find someone that will listen, who will accept you as you drop your layers of shame or regret. Someone you can expose yourself to and be free of judgement. LaCandy talks about having this with a few selects friends she sees every month. Newbie has spoken of this too. But they are fortunate. And rare. How many of us have someone like that in our lives? Few. Very few I would wager.

Judgement is really the issue isn't it? We judge ourselves. Harshly. Because we fixate on the successes of everyone around us. We see them as more beautiful, more successful, in more loving relationships than we have. And why do we see them that way and not see the dark side of their worlds? Because we see what we want. We fixate on the things we wish we had. People brag more about being happy because they want to be judged by the outside world as being successful. And because like so many of us here, we bury our dark side. Because we are embarrassed and ashamed.

We all need someone in our lives that does not judge us. They do not try to force their solutions on our problems (they can never know our full journey). They offer encourage, support and unconditional love and friendship. They help us work through our problems to find our own solutions. But most of all, they simply accept us as imperfect. Flawed. Vulnerable. Weak. And they teach us it's okay to be those things. Because they know the beautiful and love that resides in all of us. They see past all the superficial crap.

You are that kind of friend for me...thank you...:heart:

Well said, my friend...and I am lucky enough to have a few of those friends besides my bestie (I love my other girlfriends, but they don't know about this side of me - bestie does).

I do feel lucky that I have someone in my life who will stand up for me, who will tell me when I'm being stupid and remind me how awesome I am. I just hope that they know I will always do the same for them :)

One of the greatest treasures we can find, is someone who will accept us unconditionally.

We all need someone in our lives that does not judge us.

But most of all, they simply accept us as imperfect. Flawed. Vulnerable. Weak. And they teach us it's okay to be those things. Because they know the beautiful and love that resides in all of us. They see past all the superficial crap.

These lines are my favorite.
Thank you for sharing that. Yes. So much yes.
This is exactly right.

:heart:

(And feel free to post here whenever you want, anyone can post here :heart:)

Day 21: Setting boundaries.

boundariesquote.jpg

Take a look at the relationships in your life, the friends and loved ones that surround you and the boundaries you have set.

Here's a great article about setting boundaries.
This is something I'm actually terrible at but am looking to work on.
My boundaries tend to at either end of the spectrum.

Because I'm so bad at it, I'm leaving another image here to help.

3d02a4bf70c3ddabfe4663e109b40e69.jpg

Well said, my friend...and I am lucky enough to have a few of those friends besides my bestie (I love my other girlfriends, but they don't know about this side of me - bestie does).

I do feel lucky that I have someone in my life who will stand up for me, who will tell me when I'm being stupid and remind me how awesome I am. I just hope that they know I will always do the same for them :)

AND Thank YOU for being such a beautiful, loving, supportive and always there and present friend...For hugs and love and understanding and silly...and everything else...most of all, for always believing In me unconditionally...

I am so blessed you are part of my life...:heart::heart::heart:

Day 22: Random Act of kindness

tumblr_p9jm6qt0FM1xsibrio1_540.jpg

Today be kind.
Do something nice for someone else...
Random Acts of Kindness are a great way to put a smile on someone else's face as well as your own.

Saw this on one of my friend's Facebook pages and thought it was perfect for this thread...

11390133_10206915271590639_5102685395047745562_n_zps7mhslkfh.jpg

Back