Posers (Closed)

Trix’s first reaction was to recoil.

“… You poser.”

But the moment before her body reacted, her mind stepped in. His words weren’t meant for her. It wasn’t possible that she had been found out so soon. And with little to no evidence his statement would be little more than the gossip and rumors they joked about.

The way Zo kept taking, as if his “discovery” didn’t matter confirmed Trix’s earlier thought.

“First I was a bunny and now I’m a poser.” She huffed, relaxing the muscles in her body that had tensed at Zo’s use of the word. “A girl could really tickle herself pink with nicknames like those.” Trix teased using her best Scarlett O’Hara impersonation.

“If my mom were to ever say something like ‘You can do anything you want’ I ‘m pretty sure I would die of shock.” So many times in her life she had wished her life was different, that she could be who she wanted to be and not fear every choice she did have a chance at making.

Envy was an ugly word but seeing the ease of Zo’s life, the contentment of his lifestyle turned Trix green. It was a passing moment, to be jealous of someone else’s happiness was a horrible thing to feel and Trix properly chastised herself and turned her envy into wishes of continued bliss.

“Is that what made you start the band?” Trix sat up at that point and tried to look back towards the pier. She was enjoying just spending this time with Zo alone but he had other commitments tonight and she didn’t want to keep him from them. “Do we need to head back?” The sky was now a dusky dark violet, darkened with deep navy almost as dark as the night sky. In fact the first glitter of stars were starting to peek though the sparce cloud cover.
 
He gave a little chuckle. “I started the band because I heard they give you free beer during the gig … but yeah, we probably need to start back.”

He didn’t want to really. For all his talk, it had been awhile since he had a real girlfriend. Bunnies, yes, but not someone you do all the romantic shit like this. With Trix pressed up against him, watching the sun set, and talking about things like his shitty mom; he felt those feelings that make you wonder what was going to happen and if this is the one that will make it happen with you. Still, he had a gig to get to.

With one pat on her side, he started to get up. “Come’on.” As he got to his feet, he held his hand out for hers to rise up. Once she was up, he didn’t let go of her hand and started to wander with her back across the beach to the club.

“When we get there, I’ll let the bouncer dude know you are with me. I don’t care what your license says, they probably won’t believe you are legal … for drinking or age of consent for that matter. So, I’ll try to talk him out of it. That way you can drink on me too. If you are up to that at least.” Swinging her hand a little as the crested the beachhead. “Hope you do drink, that is, will make it much easier to take advantage of you.”

It wasn’t too far to the club, and the distance was covered pretty quick, but enough time to bring up another thought. “I should have asked, do you play? Like anything? Just asking because the band is getting old these days. We could really use a new Yoko Ono to break us up. Specially if you are into those naked photos and banshee screaming.” He poked her a little then asked again, “no kidding, do you play?”
 
"Free beer?" Trix chuckled, that wasn't the answer she had expected but knowing that he could be motivated by something as simple as beer reawakened the feeling of envy in her once again. There was nothing gained in the want other then the true like of beer and fulfillment of it, nothing political or powerful. To not having to strategize each step by what you gain or might lose, how others might see and and if was appropriate by their measure of things. "I'll keep that in mind next time I need cheap labor."

What did she expect? She sighed to herself getting up with Zo's help. That he would leave behind him prior commitments and just spend the night with her? It would have been nice but she would have hated him in the end for it. It was nice that he didn't let go of her hand as they walked back to the bar. Along the way Trix took charge and lead the way back to her slippers, it was a quick detour and from there Zo was back in charge.

Still sitting here with Zo was nice. She really could see herself falling for him… Which was a problem because of a million different reasons and mainly because she was lying to him. Not fully but it wasn’t the whole truth and that amount of guilt so early in a friendship kept her from drawing even closer to him. If only… Seemed to be the only possibility and all of those were fantasies.

Trix sighed dramatically. "I turn 21 next month and I'm not even old enough for consent?" This wasn't the first time she had heard something like that before but she turned it on Zo playfully. "One of the horrid side effects of an immortal family, we age slowly... And I'm sorry but that wasn't what was promised. It was your innocence in jeopardy tonight, not mine." She winked, just the tip of her tongue sticking out.

She didn't know how to answer that question. As she replayed their earlier is was possible that she had misunderstood Zo and his outing of her and her poser title. It was more likely that it was a joke and she had taken differently because it was true. If that was the case, as she was guessing it to be because he was playing her social class standing a little too cool, she didn't want to spoil it with revealing that she played the cello. There was little ways she could grunge that down.

"I dabble." She answered with a coy smile. "Naked pictures and banshee screaming." Trix cringed and shook her head. "Sadly I can only fulfill one of the two requested." The pout gave way to a sinful smile. "As far as which... I'm going to make you work for that answer." She winked squeezing his hand quickly before letting it go. So near to the bar she didn’t want to be seen clinging to Zo when she had just met him. After all she really wasn’t a bunny and she hated the idea that she would be taken as on just because she was seen at his side. Strange that she would be so concerned over how people saw her, viewed her and labeled her, while in her real life she could care less.

“Go on. I’m going to get something from the bar.” Trix nodded hanging back a bit as they neared the doorway.
 
He gave her a wink before heading off to the band. “Seeya in a bit. And don’t be afraid to throw your panties on stage.” As he moved through the place away from her he called back “I’ll have them by the end of the night anyway.”

The band, of course, sucked.

They held no other illusions of grandeur, but that was the point really. Three guys thrown themselves together to play, make a little scratch, and have something to do. They played mostly stuff to keep the feel and theme of the beachfront bar. Little bit raggae, little bit Beach Boys, little bit island rythems & beats, slip in some Phish & Greatful Dead, nothing so overpowering that people can’t eat their popcorn shrimp and sip their cheap beer while having a nice conversation. It was an open air place, and the tunes were as meant as advertisement for the sand blown beach shack as it was something to pass the time. At least that was the way it was for the first thirty minutes. After that, they started playing beats that were more mainstream in an effort to get the drunker lot on the floor. Not that they would expect many; it’s one of the downsides of stabbing the eight to ten spot you don’t get the dancing crowd. Whoever takes over at 10 will go full on dance mode, get the bunnies really hopping.

Between songs, they turned to take quick sucks on their beers. Chuckie the drummer leaned over the set, “Hey, dibs on the little thing sitting alone at the bar.” He of course meant Trix.

Zo had a quick flash of jealousy, but realized that he had no clue who the girl was or who she was with. So he just returned, “what her? I know her. I didn’t know you were into chicks with dicks.”

Chuckie looked blankly, “What?”

“Yeah, she’s doing a transition.”

Tito, the guitarist, nodded and played along with the more gullible drummer. “Yeah, she got them boobs done early on. But still is swinging meat.”

Chuckie looked suprsied. Then smirked. “You are putting me on. She’s too hot for that.”

“She’s got a good doc,” Zo replied. “Cut her a deal so she can be his model after words.”

Chuckie looked confused. “How do you know about it.”

“She’s very open about it,” Tito agreed.

Zo smirked. If he knew Trix he would play along if given the chance, so he thought he would see if she was game to get in on this. “Yeah, go ask her about it. Just don’t ask to see her penis, she will punch you right in the middle of the floor.” He quickly tuned to the audience and said. “We are going to take a little bit of a break for our drummer.” Then back to Chuckie, “go on then,”

Chuckie got up and moved towards the bar.

Tito asked, “she ain’t got a dick, don’t she.”

“Nope,” Zo laughed as he watched. “But she’s with me. I called dibs hours ago.”
 
Had it been anyone else cocky enough to pre-claim her panties, she would have been pissed but Zo made a joke out of everything and while there might be some part of him that was more hopeful then not. It wasn’t going to happen and she felt like on a serious note Zo knew that. It made the teasing and flirting fun and not as pressured had it not been so.

“I’d have to be wearing some for me to toss them on stage.” She winked back watching as Zo walked through the doors to presumably join up with his bandmates.

For a moment she lingered outside biting her lip wondering to herself just what she was getting herself into. Sure, once or twice she had played the act of Trix but she hadn’t ever taken it this far, made a friend and a connection with someone. She had only ever used it as a means to escape her gilded cage but now, there was a desperation for this to be her reality. It was the real her in more ways than her real life was but a lie was a lie, was a lie. They saw a lie could destroy a person. Was she willing to risk being destroyed?

“What do I have to lose?”

Without thinking Trix flashed her real I.D., it didn’t even dawn on her as the bouncer took a long hard stare at it that she had just slipped up. After a while he grunted and passed the card back without note.

Chasers was just what she expected and not at the same time. None of the bar stools matched and what chairs and booths there were showed patch jobs and worm seat spots from numerus asses. The tables she assumed would wobble but many of them from the what she could see had pictures and postcards plastered one over the other with the top most one showing little signs of distress. As for the decor it was your typical beach dive bar. Battered boards lined the walls and ceiling somehow managing not to look cluttered and messy. But what she liked most were the nail and screwed in pieces of driftwood that were drawn on and tagged by what she assumed were regulars and the brave tourist. Some of them were truly works of art while others were simple names carved upon the soft wood. The other thing that she really liked was all the windows giving you a great view of the beach and ocean nearly any way you looked. The only place that didn’t have a view was where the bar was and the stage, located right in front of a sizable dancefloor ringed by tables.

Two men hovered near the stage, with Zo standing nearest them with a smile on his face. This bandmates she guessed as she made her way towards the bar. She wouldn’t say she was the prettiest girl at the bar but she didn’t have to wait and for whatever the reason Trix was happy enough not to have to wait. “Gingered Shirley Temple, extra cherries please.” Trix ordered passing the bartender a $20.

The bartender blinked looked over to another busy bartender and shook his head. “I don’t know what that is.”

“May I?”

The confused bartender took another look around before shrugging his consent.

Hoping up, Trix laid over the bar and reached over to the glasses and shaker tin. “Ice. Dash or two of bitters and a half shot of syrup.” She smiled passing the man the glass as she stole his soda gun. In the shaker she mixed mostly sprite with just a splash of coke and waited for him to return with her glass. When he did she mixed it all together, strained it in a new glass, floated it with some grenadine and piled it high with cherries.

“Ta-da! A Shirley Temple but with bar ginger ale, light on the coke.” Leaving the twenty for the bartender Trix took one of the few empty barstool at the end of the bar with a direct view of the stage.

As it turned out, Zo was right. They sucked. At first she didn’t so much as listen to them as she did pick out flaws, find possible solutions and plan out a lesson plan. It was habit from when she used to teach the younger children in her old music academy. After that it was kind of hard to not hear and she felt bad for them but then it dawned on her that it was almost on purpose. In the way that an emo kid avoided color they just played for something to do and what perks might come from it. With more practice, some direction in finer skills and some dedication they could really become something if they wanted to.

What she could give them credit for was their set selection. They played a large range of things that kept with the vibe of Chasers and seamlessly steered the vibe towards something more energetic then dinner.

At what Trix was guessing to be their halfway mark, the band took a break. Her bartender friend who she learned was named Kevin came by and refilled her drink, nodded over her shoulder as someone approached.

“Hi.” Trix smiled at the drummer, take by surprise that it was him and not Zo. Over his shoulder was a smiling Zo. Wondering just what was going on Trix turned her attention to the nameless drummer. “Can I get you something to drink? A water perhaps?”
 
Charlie arrived back at the stage as Zo & Tito finished up a bottle of cheap beer. He only grundgedly said, “She ain’t got no dick.”

“How do you know,” Tito replied, “you didn’t even talk to her.”

It was true, it seemed like Trix turned and said something to him, and he just turned away and walked off.

“She ain’t got no dick,” he stated again.

“Is that a deal breaker?” Zo laughed.

“Can we just get going,” Chuckie moaned as he moved back to the drums.

Tito laughed, “Oh man, I think Chuckie’s in love. He couldn’t even say hi to girl.”

Zo dropped his bottle then shrugged, “Well, if you can’t handle it, then I call dibs.” He started to move to stage.

“What?” Chuckie asked, “You said she had a dick.”

Zo turned back at him and shrugged with a smile. He moved up to the bar and put an arm around Trix’s back. It was nothing really, but probably looked pretty damn forward to Chuckie. But so what.

“Sorry we suck,” he told her. “But I did warn you … so there’s that. We’ll probably cut off this gig early just to end the pain. Maybe then you can start having a good time.”

The bartender handed him a beer, a light cheap thing that came with the gig.

“By the way, that was Chuckie the drummer. If he ever asks, tell you have a dick.”
 
Well that was odd. The silent man said nothing before returning to the stage. Was this a test that she just failed? Or did she pass? Either way Trix shrugged it off and turned back to her drink.

Taking a cherry stem she nibbled on the end before putting the whole thing in her mouth. Humming a little song Trix worked at the stem with a little smile on her face.

A hand snaked around her back and Trix turned prepared to see the silent man again. “Zo.” She smile still working at the stem. At the apology she snorted a chuckle and nodded her hear in agreement. “Yeah…” Sticking her tongue out Trix pulled the knotted stem from her mouth and handed it to Zo with a triumphant smirk. “There is that.” She agreed. “You should finish your set. One deed left unfinished will jut lead to more and I’d hate to see where that’ll lead to.” Trix purred with a wink. “Who said I wasn’t having any fun?” She sing sang.

The beer a bartender handed him was cheap and Trix guessed that it came with the gig and she was about to say something when Zo caught her off guard.

“That explains it,” She chuckled, cupping her groin area and shifting in her seat as if adjusting. “If he does ever ask not only will I back you up but I’m also going to claim that mine is larger.” Trix teased shooting a wink at Chuck before turning her attention back to Zo. As shocked by Zo’s words over having a dick the idea was taking root and before Trix knew it she had already named her fictional attachment. “Hmm… and I’m going to name it Wolverine.”

Glancing back at the stage Trix nodded at the last member of the band. “And him?” She asked picking up her drink and taking a delicate sip from it. “Any questions that I should expect from him?”
 
“Any questions that I should expect from him?”

“Yeah,” he replied, “why he plays with a shitty group like ours. That’s Tito. Probably the only one of us that could make it somewhere, but doesn’t. Think he has a kid or something. I don’t know. He can bullshit like a champion though, so just do what you do well and come up with something snappy and he will run with it.”

As he stood there and talked with her, the knotted up stem from the cherry in his hand, he chewed on the situation. Sure, the set had to be finished, but he really didn’t want to. This girl was fun. Sure she was cute and easy to hang with, but fun more than anything. Instead, he had to walk away and stand on a stage while he played crappy music no one was really listening to.

“I better get back,” he told her making no effort to hide his reluctance. “I’ll see if we can half-ass our way to finishing this up quickly so we can get out of here. No reason you need to just sit and eat bar fruit waiting for us to score out nut.”

His arm still around her back, he gave it a quick squeeze and moved towards the stage again. The grip, meant nothing more than a hint that he liked being in contact with her, like the presence of her so close to him. But with that, he let go and went back to his bandmates.

Tito was quick to speak to him when Zo returned. “Let’s do the Kingdom.”

“Why? It’s like fifteen minutes long, and the boss hates us when we play that thing.”

Charlie spoke up then, “yeah, then he will give us that look that says ‘get the hell out of here’.”

“Plus,” Tito added, “your bunny will swoon when you do your solo.”

Zo rolled his eyes and played the rift starting the original work the band came up with . They stole parts of it from things they heard from Phish and other ‘chemically assisted’ songwriters. While long, it shifted and moved in a continuous stream of thought, what few lyrics were nearly nonsensical. They each had a portion where they showed their own stuff, so Zo really wouldn’t have stood out normally; but it was still nice to break into the fast moving solo, and he could just focus on running through his part. As the song dragged on, the owner started hovering around the room, moving closer and closer to the stage the longer it went. The wrapped the piece up and the guy swiped his hand near his throat as a sign to tell them to cut it off and call it a night. With smirks wide on their faces, the guys turned to the mic and announced the set was over.

Zo now just need to pack his shit up, and he could focus Trix, something he wanted to do all afternoon.
 
"The perfect wingman, the one who just runs with anything. I need myself on of those." She laughed looking towards Tito. "Seriously, we think he has a kid? Aren't you supposed to know your bandmates like back of your hand?" Trix questioned giving him a playfully hard time.

It was only a matter of time before Zo had to get back on stage. "Yeah..." She frowned dramatically, blinking big sad puppy eyes. The squeeze felt nice and Trix was quick to lean into the contact for as brief as it was. "If nothing else know that the way you look under those stage lights will fuel my wet dreams for the coming nights." She teased as Zo returned to the stage.

The opening song they played next was unknown to Trix. It hinted a many different things and the lyrics, what little there were painted a fuzzed picture of some kind of drunken party or acid trip. Take that away and the music itself wasn't too bad, it they were to practice the run on song could really be something.

"Virgin Bloody Mary."

"You mean just tomato juice?" Kevin asked, the tone of his voice unable to his curiosity.

Tomato juice... Trix turned towards the stranger and the strange request. "Can't drink tonight, I have pet birds that haven't been fed yet."

"Pet birds? Ohh, what kind?" Trix interrupted with false interest.

"Larks and Owls." The man answered.

Shit. "Yes well..." Trix sighed ignoring the man. Wasn't that always the case... She pouted as a man she guessed to be the manager or owner gave Zo and his band the cut sign.

Wrapping up her night, Trix met Zo as he stepped off the stage. It was forward and unlike her but the moment Zo was off stage Trix invaded his personal space, a wicked smile on her face. She didn't saw anything as she stood on her tiptoes and gently pressed her lips to his. The kiss itself was shy, quick and far from what she she had thought for the end of her night but she had to leave.

Without a single word Trix backed away, her smile mischievous and taunting. Anything more then that would spoil the moment and Zo still had a stage to clear before he was free for the night.

And like that she stepped out into the night and disappeared. She didn't know how much time she had to get home but if it was enough for Mr Hobbs to come and find her to warn her it was enough to call it a night, no matter how much she was enjoying it.
 
“It's just the danger when you're riding at your own risk
She said you are the perfect stranger she said baby let's keep it like this
It's just a cake walk twisting baby step right up and say
Hey mister give me two give me two cos any two can play”


Zo sat by the fire, a few guys from the boardwalk, a few girls too. Like happens some nights, they just all look for something to do as the drain out the cheap beers they can get their hands on. Someone usually brings something to smoke. Someone usually brings some guitars, drums, the like. Someone sometimes talks. Someone sometimes sings. As the night goes on they just pass back and forth what they have. Tonight, Zo sang a tune and played on a guitar that he was just learning.

And the big wheel keep on turning neon burning up above
And I'm just high on the world
Come on and take a low ride with me girl
On the tunnel of love


Zo recently got into a few of the old Dire Straights songs, and tried to learn them in one way or another. He liked Tunnel of Love at first just for the guitar riff near the end that lead into the last solo. Then he started to like the lyrics.

Well it's been money for muscle another whirligig
Money for muscle and another girl I dig
Another hustle just to make it big
And rockaway rockaway


He thought the lyrics told the story about some sad guy who goes to carnivals to pick up women, but one time a girl leaves him hanging. It made hiim feel like this guy wasn’t as much missing out on things, but was playing a game. But tonight, this song was hitting him a different way.

Zo wanted to sing it for one section, and one section only.

She took off a silver locket she said remember me by this
She put her hand in my pocket I got a keepsake and a kiss
And in the roar of the dust and diesel I stood and watched her walk away
I could have caught up with her easy enough but something must have made me stay


He could have caught up with her easy enough. Trix giving him the quickest of kisses. But with that one moment, she was gone. If he was a betting man, he would see her again. He would probably find her riding that crazy board down the beach. Or dancing with the crabs on the sand. Or something else that makes her all that much more fetching. But tonight, her not being there was like a void he wasn’t used to feeling.

Yet this was his life. This is where he felt happy before she came along. He could have caught up with her easy enough, but something just made him stay.

Sadly he sang the last lines as they floated across the fire and ended his night.

And girl you look so pretty to me like it always did
Like the spanish city to me when we were kids
Girl you look so pretty to me like it always did
Like the spanish city to me when we … were … kids
 
Once again dressed as the princess she was not, Trix entered the country club with a fake smile on her face. This wasn't who she was and as she nodded polite greetings to all be it strangers a cold numbness settled over her.

Everyone made passing comments to her about one part of the symphony or the other as if she had been there. It amazed her that people were truly that self centered and just for kicks started implanting fake occurrences within her conversations just to see how long it would take to get back to her.

"Beatrix." Grace swept into the room with all the elegance and refinement her name promised.

For Trix the sound of her mother's voice killed all the joy at hearing her first lie be repeated to her. "Is it that time already?" She grumbled under her voice. This of course was the part of the night that the parents arrived and urged on forced meeting and future get together with bright plans of marriages. "Mother." Trix smiled dully trying to keep the flickering death of her soul from showing in her eyes. Not that her mother would acknowledge it even if she were to see it.

"Darling have you met Cornelius Spence?" Never the one for beating around the bush, Grace all but shoved the poor boy at Trix with a sly smile. The Spencer family was in good standing, owned a title company and came with a reputation beyond compare. It was a perfect match for the two families.

With a name like Cornelius it was hard not to just break out in a fit of laughter but Trix held back, barely. "Haven't had the chance." She smiled, holding her breath as a means of aid against the building amusement at this maroon wearing peacock.

"Nor I, It's a pleasure to have met you at last. I've heard a great many things about you."

"Lies. All if it, I assure you."

Trix's blunt honestly took Cornelius aback as his brows rose together in confusion.

"She's just modest." The very subtle look Grace gave her daughter portrayed her feelings towards her little outburst. "I believe that's Mrs Dawson, I have yet to say hello. You two stay, talk, get to know each other."

As much as it wasn't an order Trix know she couldn't just walk away. She was stuck in this pediment with Cornelius, who looked much more at ease with the situation then she was.

"My Uncle is the mayor of New York."

What was sure to be a big name ticket in the impressed score, Trix just nodded.

"What I mean is." Cornelius tried again clearing his throat. "I've seen you play at the benefit concert. You were amazing, the youngest person on stage with a solo."

Okay, what the name drop didn't earn him in points the inflation of her ego did. "The time for the Park or the Memorial?"

Cornelius cocked his head back, the first signs of his arrigance showing. "Both."

"Both?" Trix arched her brow, the doubt clear on her face.

"You were wearing a black dress."

"Everyone wears black."

"The one for the Parks was long sleeved. I don't remember much other then you wore your hair down in ringlets. The second time the sleeves were 3/4 and the you could see you shoes when you sat and you wore these earings that caught the light everytime you moved."

Trix was honestly impressed. If he really had been there both times and not just breifed by her mother before hand. "Hmm... if you say so." But this time there was a smile and it was the closest to be geniune since she had arrived.

Cornelius smirked, his foot was in the door. Now all he had to do was tell her how beautiful she was and they would be taking a stroll around the lake and getting hot and heavy by midnight. "I've never met anyone so talented." He laid it on thick taking a step towards her. "And I hear that you'll be playing at the Annual Fundraiser."

"Am I?" That was news to her and so like her mother to sign her up for somethign that she not only didn't want to do but had no knowledge of.

"So your Mother says." Leaning forward Cornelius tucked a stray hair behind Trix's ear, gently running the back of his finger down her cheek. "I'd love you accompany you to the event." He whispered, taking yet another step forward.

And just like that her smile was gone and all the few points he had managed to rack up went up in smoke. "Yeah, I'm sure she does." She sighed taking twice the stride away from him. "I'm awefully partched Cornelly, I'll meet up with you later if I can find you." Sure was there was a good chance that she would get an earfull once she got home but the moment she stepped away another bidder took Cornelius' place. A quick look around the room and she spotted her mother with the fox in the chicken coop grin, a sign that clued Trix in to the no vaccency sign on tonight's dance card.

"Woo-hoo me..." Trix moaned, her mind drifting to the beach that the kind of night she could be having. Live music, a bonfire and honest to goodness connections. The spark of a real friendship and a boy who she hoped could forgive her for walking out on him.
 
Back
Top