The Stranger (Closed for heartofcourage)

He chuckled,

"These are hand raised, so if you need any production photos I'm certain we can arrange them."

He led her over to his pride and joy, a small rhino calf, his mother was killed by poachers, but Dave had found her and nursed her through the trauma and now she was growing quickly and becoming quite a pretty rhino.

"This one I call Rosie, I was lucky with her, her mother got killed by poachers and I managed to pull her through that stage of her life, it's quite traumatic for them to have their mother's taken away at such a tender age."

He reached through the fence and rubbed the side of her nose, he smiled at Jenifer,

"She will soon be old enough to be set free into the bigger area, I think she will not be very happy with that at first, but she's a strong girl, she'll survive."
 
Jennifer had a wide smile on her face as she stroked and petted the baby rhino. She felt at ease here in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by these animals. She scratched behind the animal’s ears, laughing as the rhino’s tail swished back and forth.

“Well, Rosie, you are certainly a pretty young lady.” Jennifer commented, glancing at Dave with a smile. “And your trainer certainly isn’t bad looking either.”
 
He chuckled at the compliment,

"Well that is high praise coming from a lady a beautiful as you."

He led her to some of the more exotic animals, Oryx, Springbuck, Alpas,

"All of these will stand still, with a bit of coersion we could even get them to do a few things wild animals will never do. I'm sure your producers had worked that into account when they picked us as location."

He stopped at a gate,

"This one leads out to the bigger pen, let's head back, I'm sure we will have quite a busy day tomorrow to get everything packed and unpacked."
 
Jennifer followed behind him and out of the gate. She stopped for a moment and looked around the area, a soft sigh escaping her lips. It was really beautiful here, she thought to herself as she turned to look at Dave.

“So…still not looking forward to following a film crew around?” She asked him, giving him a pretty smile. “Cause I’m certainly looking forward to getting to know you a little bit more.”
 
He looked at her for a few moments and with a smile flicked off the lights,

"I can say I am looking forward to that, the filming crew and producers? Not as much."

He pulled a small LED flashlight from his pocket and switched it on, offering her his hand to help her along.

"Of course I would be able to see you act, that is payment enough"
 
Jennifer laughed softly and took his hand, allowing him to lead her along in the dark. She had to admit that Dave was incredibly charming and certainly good looking to boot. It made her grin to think that he had taken an interest in her as well. She had many admirers out there, but it was refreshing to know that he knew nothing about her life.

“I’m not sure if it’s payment. It’s always just work to me.” She said with a shrug as they made it back to the cabins. “Well, thank you for showing me around. I really had a good time.”

She turned towards him, a blush coating her cheeks for a brief moment as she leaned forward to press a kiss to his cheek. She didn’t want to seem too forward, but she found herself really liking him.
 
He was very much aware of her hand in his, so soft and cool to the touch, he had to admit, his first brush with a movie star has been very different from the horror tales the older guides had told him about. And that reason was that they always acted like pampered rich kids, used to snap their fingers and getting what they want. Jennifer was nothing like that, she seemed down-to-earth and very, very kind...he was so lost in his thoughts that he blinked at the kiss on the cheek. He smiled at her,

"Well I am glad that I could help to do that. I shall see you tomorrow, be sure to try the fresh coffee, it's not as good as the best espresso, but it does wonders to wake the brain up."

Shooting a glance at his cabin, he gave a rueful smile,

"I would invite you in for coffee, but mine is still packed away."

He looked at her, the lights casting shadows over her face, giving her both a sultry and mysterious look. He found himself loathing their parting, he actually enjoyed her voice and her wit was something he found well-suited to his own.

"Well goodnight Jennifer."

His smile broadened a bit and then he went up the stairs to his quarters.
 
“Good night, Dave.” Jennifer said with a grin as he turned and walked towards his quarters with a spring in his step. “I’ll see you tomorrow.” She added sweetly, giggling to herself as she turned to enter her room.

She couldn’t wipe the silly grin off her face, the one that made her feel all giddy inside. She had only know him for a few hours at best, but she felt a connection with Dave that she’d never felt with another man in her life. He was sweet, down to Earth, and incredibly handsome.

“You’re not here to find a man…” She murmured to herself, shaking her head as she moved to get dressed for bed, excited to get to the shooting location in the morning.
 
The next morning dawned bright, cloudless and slightly chilly, but the chill lifted as the sun rose slowly, Dave was up early, organizing food, fuel, vehicles and other supplies. By the time most people woke up he was drinking his first cup of coffee. He set off to the armory, getting a rifle and extra amunition, not that he intended to use it, but it was SOP that when you head into the field to have a rifle with you.

With the rifle slung over one shoulder, the extra magazines in his pockets, he went back to the caffeteria, he got another coffee and dodged outside before more people showed up. He went down to the pens to help with the feeding. By the time he was done, it was close to the time he had set out for them to leave. He gave off the cup and headed to the vehicles, partly to store the rifle and to check through everything again.
 
Jennifer was up early the next morning, cheerful and bright as she packed up her bags and got herself ready to leave. The crew was already out at their vehicles, packing away the cameras and sound equipment. She moved towards one of the jeeps that the ranger’s used and stowed away her luggage in the back of the vehicle.

Hearing someone approaching, she turned and smile upon spotting Dave. “Good morning.” She said softly, that silly smile spreading along her face at just the sight of him.
 
He almost didn't see her, he stopped and oggled her outfit, then gave her a warm smile,

"Good morning, good to see you up and about, that means you slept well."

He placed the rifle into it's holding bay along with the magazines, secured the latch and locked it, he turned to face her again,

"Well well, seems like you're taking the whole cotton idea seriously, which is a good thing, I would advise sunblock and a big hat."

He gave her a smile,

"And judging from the lack of shadow, you clearly need coffee."
 
Jennifer laughed as Dave teased her. She made her way close to him and plucked the hat off his head, placing it upon hers and winking at him. “Well, maybe I was waiting for a handsome game ranger to take me to breakfast.”

She liked this teasing side of their blossoming relationship. He was easy to talk to and even easier to like. Holding out her hand to him, she wondered if he would take it and bring them closer to the next step in their relationship.
 
He chuckled,

"Now that is federal propeety, I might just arrest you for taking my hat."

He grinned at her, he took her hand and headed off to the cafeteria. Her hand felt soft and cool in his, he could feel a slight tingle from the touch, it was deffinately different from last night.

"I see you're an early riser, think I can persuade your director to steal you away one morning?"

He glanced at her,

"I'm sure you'll enjoy it."
 
“I doubt you’ll arrest me because you know it looks much better on me.” She said with a grin, laughing at the smile that touched his own lips. “Although, a man that promises a good time with a pair of handcuffs can’t be all that bad.”

As he took her hand and headed towards the cafeteria, she felt a small little jolt to her belly. It was a delicious feeling, one that filled her with a warmth that was hard to explain. He had an amazing sense of humor as well and that was what sealed the deal for Jennifer. She was most definitely falling in love.

“I think I might be persuaded to be stolen away, but only if a good time is promised.” She winked at Dave and pulled him to a stop. “I really like you, Dave. You’re funny and nice. I’m very excited that I met you.”
 
He gave her a smile,

"As strange as it sounds, I'm really glads you had that flat tyre and that your producers decided to come here. Without that I most likely would never have met you at all."

He gave her hand a gentle squeeze,

"And I count my life richer now that I have, you are quite a woman Jennifer."

He glanced over her shoulder,

"We better hurry if we are to get you some decent coffee, the camp is stirring."

He pulled her forward and stepped next to her, hand on the small of her back as he led her towards the door, before she entered he whispered in her ear,

"If I said you have a beautiful body..."

He chuckled softly and stepped in after her, greeting the ground staff again as he led Jennifer towards the coffeemachine, hoping she knew the song he quoted.
 
Jennifer smiled shyly, strange for her, as he said that he was glad she had a flat tire. He would never know how happy she was to have had that flat tire either, she though to herself as he squeezed her hand gently. She laughed softly as he insisted that they needed to hurry to get the decent coffee.

“I’ll have to take your word for that.” She said as he pulled her towards the doors and leaned in and whispered against her ear the cheesiest pick up line she’d ever heard.

“I most definitely would hold it against you.” She said softly, laughing along with him as he led her towards the coffee machine.

“Would you put two sugars and some cream in mine? I’ll go get us some eggs and toast.” She said, kissing his cheek briefly before she left his side to get something to eat.
 
He chuckled and froze at the very unecpected kiss on the cheek, he got two cups and added the cream and sugar for her cup. He stirred the contents and carried it over to a table, he leaned back into the plastic chair's backrest and watched as the other people started to drift in, some stubbing out their early morning smokes before entering, others still seeming to groom unruly hair. Jennifer joined him and he motioned behind her with his chin,

"Those are the guys I met in the office yesterday, my boss really blew up their perspective of me, they must think I'm some sort of super ranger."

He grinned,

"Of course that isn't true, but what they don't know, doesn't hurt."

He took a sip of his coffee and looked at the celebrity opposite him, dressed as she was, with his hat on her head, she didn't look anything like the big-shot actress she was.
 
Jennifer laughed softly as Dave rejoined her, a cup of coffee at the ready. She took a sip of the hot brew and smiled as he commented on the promises that his boss had made where the crew was concerned. She couldn’t help but grin when she was with him, her heart light and her mood definitely brighter.

“What? You mean you aren’t a super ranger?” She feigned surprise. “Well, there go all my hopes and dreams.”

She gave him a cheeky grin and laughed softly as she took another sip of her coffee. She’d never met a man before that she could tease and have a good time with like she did with Dave.
 
He grinned as she sassed him,

"Well yes, the only super thing I can be is super boring. Did you know that trees are something that can staggeringly grow to old ages. They can live much longer than any other animal or plant. As a matter of fact, many trees attain implausible longevity for a number of exclusive potentials. Some of these capabilities include the potential to replace lost or damaged organs, a sectored vascular system that helps some portions of the tree to stay alive irrespective of the fact that whether the rest of the tree is alive or not. Another reason for the long life of some trees is their potential to produce a clone shoot whereby an accessible shoot can generate a heritable indistinguishable offshoot..."

He took an exaggerated breath,

"And that is only the beginning of the whole lecture when you go on the school tour, of course I add no color nor nuance when I do it for school kids, so count yourself lucky."

He gave her a grin.
 
“Oh, I do consider myself lucky.” Jennifer said with a smile as he finished his little speech. “I’m in the beautiful countryside with a handsome mad as my guide. Life is most definitely good.”

She took another sip of her coffee, actually blushing as the conversation with Dave progressed. She’d never felt this way about a man before, especially so soon after meeting him. With Dave, it was so easy and so completely different.

“Perhaps you can give me that tour with all of the color and nuance later. I’d like to learn more about this place while I’m here.”
 
He chuckled,

"You will have to book a tour Miss Collins, I am quite certain your guide will be much obliged to take you on a tour to learn more about the countryside and it's inhabitants."

He gave her a cheeky smile and sipped his coffee,

"At least I know I can smuggle you out of the tent in the mornings while they are asleep. Sunrises can be rather breathtaking out there in the field."
 
“I don’t think there’s anyone else I’d rather see a sunrise with.” Jennifer said with a smile as she reached across the table and gently touched his hand. “Especially if they follow a fun evening.”

Winking at him, she took a long sip of her coffee and let those words sink in. She liked him and she was definitely coming on to him. He was handsome and she could see herself wanting to have more to do with him in the future.
 
At her touch a bit of coffee went into the wrong hole, the remark of a fun evening made even more coffee go down the wrong hole. He sputtered, coughed and was caught with more coffee down his airway than was supposed to be there, this lead to heavy coughing as his lungs tried their best to force the coffee out. He finally succeeded in getting his breath back and gave her a weak smile,

"You just gave a new meaning to "taking your breath away""

He chuckled and hid one last cough behind his hand, that her words had caught him by surprise was an understatement, he looked at her and found that she seemed serious. She was attracted to him...he could not really bend his mind around that little fact, but he was not a person to argue with the facts. Instead if a beautiful woman seemed to fancy you, you accepted that fact graciously.
 
“Well, that’s a first. Usually it’s the man that takes my breath away.” Jennifer said with a laugh, her eyes sparkling as she listened to his chuckle. “It’s such a joy to be with you, Dave. You truly make me smile.”

She gave him a little wink before she stood from her seat and took her coffee for a quick refill. It would be a long day once they left for the camp and she would be shooting her first scenes tomorrow morning. It wasn’t going to be an easy shoot but as she looked over her shoulder at the ranger that was sitting at her table, she knew that it would be entirely tolerable now.
 
He tipped his hat, which of course was not on his head at that moment, using his best Texan drawl,

"Glad tah be o' service ma'am."

He winked at her,

"And since you are going to spend quite a while in my company, I'd say that it is a good thing that you smile."

The breakfast came to an end and pretty soon they were outside, Dave slipped his hat onto his head,

"Ten minutes everybody, Jennifer, if you wish, you can ride with me. I have space for six more people."
 
Back
Top