The Roman & the Rebel (Closed)

Iona was pleased when Marcus agreed with her that she should try and learn his language, and even suggested that she learn how to read and write it as well. He may not have realized it, but in doing so he helped to earn even more of her trust. If he'd wanted to, it would have been much easier to keep her in the dark about certain plans and things if she could not understand what the Romans were saying to one another, or if messages and decrees were being sent out that she was unable to read. By suggesting that she learn both he was showing her that he truly did mean for there to be no deception between them.

Finally, a smile began to show on her face as an excited gleam sparked in her azure hued eyes.

"We do not have a written language of our own," she explained to him, "We have other ways that we have passed down our histories and stories over the generations, and I myself have sent spoken messages in code before when I did not want the messenger to know the meaning of the message they were delivering, but I agree that a written language would be very helpful as you said and would very much like to learn."
 
Iona’s blue eyes sparkled a smile back at Marcus as he suggested she not only learn to speak his language but also to read and write it. He could not help but return that smile with his own. He was glad to see just how much that information excited her. Not only was he appreciative of her smile, he was also appreciative of her clear desire to learn more about the world she was stepping into. Many in her place might entrench themselves in the familiar, but she was willing to take the situation for what it was and make the best of it. Her resilience of spirit and will to do what was best for her people impressed him.

They reached the end of the line of men. After that point she could see those individuals she had hand selected with his men working to help wounded off of the field and to take the fallen to their appropriate camps for proper burials. There were also two large trains still being readied to leave the camp to start setting up her new base camp.

“I am glad to hear you say that you want to learn more. The ability for our soldiers to communicate as well as the ability for the citizens to be able to interact with representatives of Rome will help ease the tensions between our people. I will be sure to get you access to many different things for you to read once you have gained enough ability to read the words. To be able to read and write in my culture is not something everyone can do. Teaching it to you will actually make you learn more about my culture than some of my own soldiers do. Only officers and messengers are expected to be able to read and write. Everyone else need not be able to perform such tasks. In our culture someone who is able to read and write that is not nobility is someone who is exceptional.”

He wasn’t certain if she truly understood what he was saying. By teaching her to read she would have a skill that in his culture was considered the mark of someone to be revered and respected. Just that simple act would elevate her from the status of a former enemy to someone to be honored for wisdom.
 
As they had reached the end of the line of men Iona's eyes went out to gaze across the field. While it was a sobering sight to see the dead and wounded being moved from the field and the smile faded from her face, she was pleased to see that those she had selected seemed to be working well with his men to accomplish the task. She was also glad to see the supply trains being made ready to leave. She knew the situation could have been a lot worse than what it was, and for that she was grateful.

As she turned back to Marcus and listened as he explained the significance of being able to read and write in his culture understanding dawned in her eyes and she grew more thankful still.

"Thank you General. I do not take this opportunity that you give me lightly," she told him sincerely as she inclined her head slightly with a respectful nod before adding in a curious tone, "Will you be the one to teach me then, or will it be one of your men?"
 
Last edited:
Back
Top