Do you listen to music while writing?

...

I have about 5,000 CDs, all ripped onto a large hard drive (and backed up twice). Sometimes I just randomize and see what comes up...

Yeah, mines not that impressive, but 3,000 songs is enough to shake a stick at. All genres...from Rock & Roll to movie sound tracks.
 
I used to have a good collection. Not nearly 5000 CD's but a decent number. However for the last couple of years my CD's have been occasionally walking out of my life and never returning. I suspect it's a passive aggressive thing ;)

All my favorites are ripped to my HD and get backed up so it's not worth starting a fight over.

Although, I've now had to buy Lee Aarons new album three times. It's due to come in from Amazon on Monday and I'll rip it to my HD immediately.
 
No Music

When I write, I fill my head with images and phrases. Music distracts this process and this usually results in my selecting less than strong word choices.
 
I find silence distracting. But I need music that is very, very familiar, so it isn't distracting either. So stuff like classic rock that I've heard a million times is just right.

I'm this way, too. I have to know the lyrics to the songs by heart, or else I find myself paying more attention to the music than my writing. When I'm editing, I like my surroundings to be as quiet as possible.
 
I'm about to write my first sex scene in almost a month, and I'm getting in the mood with a special playlist I put together to inspire me.

Right now, Massive Attack's Inertia Creeps is on, so... pardon me while I get back to the writing. ;)
 
I have yet to try writing with music, maybe I'll try something with no vocals and see how it goes.
 
If so, is there a specific genre/artist/song you choose to get you in the writing mood?

To get into a writing mood? Then the song choice would depend on what head space I would like to be in, but the genre is usually some sort of rock, metal, industrial, or aggrotech.

While writing, I prefer to listen to something purely instrumental if I have music on at all.

Usually TSO, Tchaikovsky, or Apocalyptica:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v2TBjwoUYxQ
 
Last edited:
I do listen to music, but I don't want too many lyrics. I have been known to listen to chamber music while writing but often I find that a bit dull (and I can't stand orchestral) so at the moment I'm mostly listening to Devotcka, Death in Vegas, Fela Kuti and a series of rock steady compilations from soul jazz records call dynamite.
 
I am surprised to see so many people listen to music while writing. Perhaps it keeps the right side of the brain busy? I don't know. I rarely put music on while writing, it tends to distract me. Now I can draw like a fiend when in a classroom with an interesting teacher giving an interesting lesson, as it keeps the left side busy. Sometimes good music like David Bowie singles works wonders for my patience and gives my drawings attitude... but music, especially music with lyrics, seems to bring my writing to a screeching halt. I think I will try some of these things you authors find helpful.:cattail:
 
Not only do I write with music playing, in most cases the TV is on across the room. Neither bother me while I write.
 
If so, is there a specific genre/artist/song you choose to get you in the writing mood?

I have specific songs that wind up being "on the soundtrack" so to speak for the stories I work on. The first one involved a lot of bands that wound up on the shirts of characters and the like. In addition to those songs sort of influencing the mood of the stuff I'm working on, I also listen to a lot of post-rock like Explosions In The Sky, Mogwai, Russian Circles, This Will Destroy You, etc... Usually instrumental stuff that won't distract me too much.
 
Anything with lyrics is avoided when I'm writing. I don't want to be distracted by lyrics.

Usually film scores are my writing playlist. Stuff from Jerry Goldsmith, John Williams, James Horner, Brian Tyler, Patrick Doyle, etc.

Tangerine Dream's albums, especially the earlier 70's stuff like Tangram, Ricochet.

Someone mentioned space music, oh yes! Planetary Unfolding by Michael Stearns. Steve Roach's Quiet Music series.
 
Writing to Music

I have yet to try writing with music, maybe I'll try something with no vocals and see how it goes.

I usually write to silence. I do work from music from time to time but I have much better results with total silence. I can churn out hours and not even look at the clock. No radio distractions, no CD changing, no getting up to deal with anything except bathroom needs.I go to that happy place of creativity in silence. I churn out thousands of words in a sitting so I am doing something right.
 
Yes. I listen to different styles depending on what I write. When I write action with killings, I listen to Psychedelic trance. Example would be Rabbit on the Moon, "Decade" I wrote a phenomenal scene from that one. Brutal and violent. When I write sex, I like to listen to different stuff. It depends on the scene...Always.

My latest novel has an actual soundtrack in my head. It is kind of cool when I think about it.
 
I'll sometimes play an instrument while writing. Strum the 'uke a bit whilst awaiting inspiration. Blow an air on the tinwhistle. Thumb the kalimba. Banjo doesn't help writing, though. Usually.
 
Depends on what I'm writing....

I write best in the company of other people; to wit, 'people are my muse-ic.' Sometimes it's a matter of bouncing bits of dialogue off of someone, or asking what someone thinks of choice A or B, or just listening to what they're writing. It's because constantly playing music can be distracting at times, but interaction is inspiring.

If I'm by myself? I usually need some sort of music when it comes down to grinding out words. Most often it's something random off the 'net -- I'll type in whatever genre I'm playing with at the time into the search bar, and then sorta let the music guide the feeling of the words.

Other times, I take on musical dares -- turn on the radio, and say, 'Flash fiction/scene challenge -- whatever the next song is, write something based off of it.'

-CT
 
I'll sometimes play an instrument while writing. Strum the 'uke a bit whilst awaiting inspiration. Blow an air on the tinwhistle. Thumb the kalimba. Banjo doesn't help writing, though. Usually.

Impressed. I can listen to music while I write, but playing? No. If i'm playing an instrument--violin mostly--then I'm mentally in a whole other world not conducive to writing.
 
Long ago I ceased listening to music as I write. And my writing improved.
 
Back
Top