2010 News & Views: Discussions and Announcements for the Survivorphile

CrimsonMaiden

Pretty in Pink
Hello, Survivorphiles, and welcome to the 2010 Survivor Literotica Contest. We hope this will be an enjoyable year-long challenge for all of you, regardless of final score. Survivor is above all a great opportunity for authors to challenge themselves and stretch their own limits, encouraging them into writing territory where they wouldn't normally venture.

This year, the rules will be mostly the same as last year. There may be a couple of tweaks within the next few days, but there will not be any major changes. The registration thread will be posted soon.

Just a couple of rules highlights: Submissions made to the Novels and Novellas category must be 7500 words or more. The use of images in the production of which you were not directly involved, either by creating or by being portrayed in them, will make submissions in the Illustrated and Illustrated Poetry categories ineligible for points. All audio stories must be 750 words or more to be eligible for Survivor, and the accompanying text must be an accurate transcript of the submitted audio. Recording your story is not nearly as difficult as some might think. If you have a microphone, you can record your story. Check the FAQ thread for more information.

Every year, there are concerns about multi-chapter stories and about the quality of some submissions. Due to this, there was a change in the rules for last year's contest considering multi-part stories. That rule will remain in effect for the 2010 contest. As far as quality of submissions go, once again we must remind all contestants that the only quality control in place is Laurel, at the moment of approval of the submissions. If you read a story that cannot be understood, if it doesn't make sense on its own, or if it doesn't correspond, on its own, to the minimum that can be expected for the category it is placed in, please report the story. If you think that any story you read in Literotica is substandard, please report the story. Let Laurel know about it. That's the only way a quality control can be implemented.

Please remember that this thread is for Survivor related discussion. All non-Survivor related discussions/posts will be moved here.

Plotting and planning has been moved to the archive, so any further discussion about the 2010 contest should be continued here.

Okay, I am really confused already.

The last rule under categories-
At the end of the year, all immunities claimed will be considered valid, as long as there are two cap levels filled with regular submissions for each immunity. e.g.: If a contestant has 7 immunities won, but has only regular submissions in 12 different cap levels, only the first 6 immunities will be considered valid.

Two cap levels for each immunity. So, since you have to fill the first cap in all categories before moving to the second cap level, does that mean you have to write - oh, God.. math..- There's like, what, 33 categories? The first cap level is 3 in each category. The 2nd cap level is 2 stories, so you need to have all the first cap level of the categories filled before filling the 2nd cap level just to use one immunity?

I hope to God you meant one cap level of two categories per immunity... or something that makes immunities even remotely plausible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I am really confused already.

The last rule under categories-
At the end of the year, all immunities claimed will be considered valid, as long as there are two cap levels filled with regular submissions for each immunity. e.g.: If a contestant has 7 immunities won, but has only regular submissions in 12 different cap levels, only the first 6 immunities will be considered valid.

Two cap levels for each immunity. So, since you have to fill the first cap in all categories before moving to the second cap level, does that mean you have to write - oh, God.. math..- There's like, what, 33 categories? The first cap level is 3 in each category. The 2nd cap level is 2 stories, so you need to have all the first cap level of the categories filled before filling the 2nd cap level just to use one immunity?

I hope to God you meant one cap level of two categories per immunity... or something that makes immunities even remotely plausible.

That's why the rules have that little disclaimer at the top that they are still under review... so language can be made clearer and rules can be changed if the majority want something different. It means individual cap levels. As it stands right now, the ratio is two cap levels per immunity. Meaning, you must have filled two categories' level 1 caps to have an immunity be valid. Remember though, you can claim immunities as often as you like. The ratio is only counted at the end of the contest when the scores are tallied.

Edited to add: I reworded that portion of the ratio rule. Is it more clear now?

Last edited:
There's been a request for clarification of the rule on posting to the Chain stories category. The rule is state as one chapter allowed per chain. I consider this to mean per contest simply for the fact that we'd have to check cards against previous years submissions not to mention that if someone who didn't participate in the 2009 wrote a chapter in a chain and then joined the contest for 2010, I don't think it would be fair to for them to not be able to write another chapter for the 2010 contest. And even though anyone can start a chain at any time, I've seen how often chains die before they even get started due to lack of interest. With this in mind, if you could only write one chapter per chain ever, it might be very difficult to fill even cap level one for this category.

So I am proposing the language of the chain story rule be modified to read each author will only be entitled to one chapter eligible for points for Survivor per chain per contest year. Thoughts?

Can I get a clarification of Rule 14 regarding immunities? It looks as if you are saying that, to count an immunity at the end of the year, I need to fill two categories to their cap for every immunity I use. In other words, if I use an immunity, for example, in Illustrated Stories, I have to post three stories or poems in each of two categories to count that immunity toward bonuses or anything else. That would mean a minimum of six entries for every immunity used, which seems rather strong. :eek:

Also, will the immunities still be selected as they have in the past, on Wednesdays? I ask that because, in Rule 13, you mention the possibility of winning an immunity on 1/2/2010, which is a Saturday, but there is a drawing on that day too.

Last edited:
There's been a request for clarification of the rule on posting to the Chain stories category. The rule is state as one chapter allowed per chain. I consider this to mean per contest simply for the fact that we'd have to check cards against previous years submissions not to mention that if someone who didn't participate in the 2009 wrote a chapter in a chain and then joined the contest for 2010, I don't think it would be fair to for them to not be able to write another chapter for the 2010 contest. And even though anyone can start a chain at any time, I've seen how often chains die before they even get started due to lack of interest. With this in mind, if you could only write one chapter per chain ever, it might be very difficult to fill even cap level one for this category.

So I am proposing the language of the chain story rule be modified to read each author will only be entitled to one chapter eligible for points for Survivor per chain per contest year. Thoughts?

That chain story rule as you express it sounds good to me. :)

Can I get a clarification of Rule 14 regarding immunities? It looks as if you are saying that, to count an immunity at the end of the year, I need to fill two categories to their cap for every immunity I use. In other words, if I use an immunity, for example, in Illustrated Stories, I have to post three stories or poems in each of two categories to count that immunity toward bonuses or anything else. That would mean a minimum of six entries for every immunity used, which seems rather strong. :eek:

Also, will the immunities still be selected as they have in the past, on Wednesdays? I ask that because, in Rule 13, you mention the possibility of winning an immunity on 1/2/2010, which is a Saturday, but there is a drawing on that day too.

I have tried to get people to put in their thoughts on cap levels and ratios, but no one wanted to talk about it. We can do one to one if the majority think two to one is too large. Or, I also suggested lower the number of submissions you need for cap level 1 to two and leaving the rest of the cap levels as they were (2 for 2 and 1 for the rest.) We could do one of the other (not both).

The reason why it's cap levels instead of submissions is because when you use an immunity, it covers the entire cap level.

If y'all want something changed, you have to put in your opinions.

The date is just an example, Box. It's not indicative of an actual lottery date. The one we use is still Wednesdays.

Participants, I need some input on the issues mentioned here. We need to get this hammered down so the rules can be completed and finalized.

Also, the January Immunity thread is up. Please go post your choice for a number if you wish to participate! You must choose before Wednesday's lotto in order to be in time for the first immunity draw.

Participants, I need some input on the issues mentioned here. We need to get this hammered down so the rules can be completed and finalized.

Also, the January Immunity thread is up. Please go post your choice for a number if you wish to participate! You must choose before Wednesday's lotto in order to be in time for the first immunity draw.

I like the idea of the caps, because they emphasize the need for versatility and keep authors from stacking up dozens of minimum length stories in any one category. This is the same reason as there was for limiting poems to no more than ten of any one category. :)

However, I believe there should be an exception made for chapters of novels in the Novel/Novella category. Readers get unhappy about having to wait a long time for all the chapters of a novel to be finished, so I think there should be no cap restrictions on that one category, as long as all the entries are cfhapters in the same story and met all other requirements. :)

I have such a story going, and I intend to finish it this year, whether I can count all the chapters or not.

ETA: I also believe there should be limitations on immunities, such as you described earlier. I have no problem with requiring that two categories be filled with three stories, including novel chapters, or poems for every immunity used to gain bonus points. For practical purposes, this would mean that as many as 11 immunities could be used if all categories were filled. On average, an author should get seven or eight immunities during the year.

Last edited:
I don't like the idea of taking away the cap levels for Novels & Novellas. It would possibly open up complaints about "well, if we did it for that category, why can't we do it for this one?"

I understand where you are coming from with the idea, but you have two options to consider here. First, you have three submissions in the first cap level. Unless you are incredibly verbose, or you are writing an really long story, you should be able to get the story finished in three chapters. That's minimum of 22,500 words for three submissions.

Secondly, just because you can't count cap level 2 submissions until all of cap level 1 is filled with either submissions or immunities doesn't mean you can't write and submit stories. Of course, you do not have to limit yourself to the minimum number of words needed for three chapters. You make those three chapters as long as they need to be to finish the story. The decision is entirely up to you.

I don't like the idea of taking away the cap levels for Novels & Novellas. It would possibly open up complaints about "well, if we did it for that category, why can't we do it for this one?"

I understand where you are coming from with the idea, but you have two options to consider here. First, you have three submissions in the first cap level. Unless you are incredibly verbose, or you are writing an really long story, you should be able to get the story finished in three chapters. That's minimum of 22,500 words for three submissions.

Secondly, just because you can't count cap level 2 submissions until all of cap level 1 is filled with either submissions or immunities doesn't mean you can't write and submit stories. Of course, you do not have to limit yourself to the minimum number of words needed for three chapters. You make those three chapters as long as they need to be to finish the story. The decision is entirely up to you.

It is a very long story. I have six chapters finished so far, totaling at least 48,000 words, and it is about half done. I expect to count three chapters in my score this year and post as many more as my muse is willing to let me write. If I don't count all of them, so be it. I am really more interested in getting it finished. :confused:

Dang Box, long story!! I'd say get it written and submit it, and then work really hard to make it to cap level two so you can count all of the chapters for points.

I'm okay with the immunity rule and cap levels as they are. I was just having a blonde moment and didn't understand it at first.

The cap rule is brilliant. I love that it actually forces the authors to get out of their boxes and write in a large number of categories.

I don't care about the ratio rule for immunities mostly because while it is theorically possible to get say thirty five immunities and get sixty points without writing a single story I don't think it's going to happen in reality.

I don't think that the chapter rule for Novels and Novellas is really a good one though for the same reason that chapters aren't allowed in anything else. It is easier to write one 22,500 word story than it is to write a three 7500 word story. It's just a matter of where you put the "chapter" breaks.

I still think that immunities shoudl count for points say 3 once you fill the first cap. Not before, if they count for points before they'd just be a game breaker but afterwards they start to hold you back, true you don't HAVE to use an immunity when you get one which is another bit of a problem. Particularly for new writers. If I'd known that illustrated stories can take as long as a month to post I would have capped that months ago instead of leaving it open.

I'm not sure yet did we get an official word on whether you could add onto a chain story you'd already written in a different year for points? If yes that's good, if not then we need to start working on getting some new chains up and running since I'm sure I'm not the only one who exhausted the ones we had any level of comfort writing in already.

I think the immunities worked fine in 2009. I like that there are no points awarded for an immunity, why offer a reward for not attempting a category.

Chain stories weren't a problem... there are so many open chains it was easy to pick up on several. I do think we should be able to add chapters to stories we have already written in the previous year.

It seems a lot of people are avoiding Text with audio stories, audio poetry and the illustrated stories and poems. I wonder if perhaps we shouldn't increase the point value here. Much like the novels & novella category there is more work required for these submissions. Why not reward the extra work with a point structure like the novel and novella category? It might encourage more people to submit in these categories.

I want to thank the moderators for their continued work in running the contest and in working to keep the game moving forward. Thank you Lauren and CrimsonMaiden.

MAP

Last edited:
Okay, it seems so far the general consensus is to allow a chapter per chain story per contest year. Sounds fine to me.

The extra points for the media categories is something that should probably be discussed in further detail. Maybe to make a change next year? Personally, I think many people make a big deal out of those categories, when it really isn't that difficult. Even if you don't have a microphone for the audio categories, I can bet you would get a volunteer to do the recording if you just asked. I'm not saying I'm opposed to the possibility of raising the points for those categories, just that it needs in depth discussion by more than a couple of people.

It also seems the majority still favor no points for immunities and are okay with the ratio as stated. I think this means we can finalize the 2010 rules since there has been ample time given for discussion. As always, questions are welcomed if you don't understand something. If it's not answered in the FAQ thread, feel free to ask here or send me a pm.

Deadline for completed scorecards for the 2009 contest is tomorrow night. I will get them tabulated and confirmed as soon as I can (hopefully by Wednesday. It's all going to depend on whether I work Tuesday or not). Once that is done and the final winners announced, I will begin making 2010 scorecard threads.

I have enjoyed moderating the 2009 contest and look forward to a successful contest for 2010! :)

I'd support the adding of extra points for those categories. I think the problem with it becomes that some people have real issues or lack the equipment to do it. I keep hearing how audio stories have to be recorded in like two minute bites that are assembled together later and I know from experience this year that illustrated stories can be pending for weeks.

I'd support the adding of extra points for those categories. I think the problem with it becomes that some people have real issues or lack the equipment to do it. I keep hearing how audio stories have to be recorded in like two minute bites that are assembled together later and I know from experience this year that illustrated stories can be pending for weeks.

Stories do not have to be recorded in two minute increments as far as I am aware. The ones I have done, I recorded in their entirety using a program called Audacity and then uploaded them via the server upload option (and I have one that is 4 minutes long).

Sound Recorder comes with windows will record whatever length your hard drive can handle I believe. I have a 5 minute template recorded that I simply open and record over. If the story is longer I just need to lengthen the template.

Just wondering when the rules are going to be finalized.

They pretty much are. I just need a few free quiet minutes to read over them one more time and make sure everything is worded correctly. More than likely, the red statement at the top will be removed at some point tonight. (Of course, keep in mind that part of the rules state that they are subject to change at any time. This rarely happens but occasionally something will come up that needs addressed.)

This contest makes me feel so very blonde. I'm confused again.

I'm nervous by what I see happening to BFW's, I mean PositiveThinker's, scorecard. It looks like several of his stories have been disqualified for being a series. Now, honestly, I only skimmed a couple of the stories, but it looks to me that the only similarity is that they are tales of sexual conquests of a first person narrator.

Yesterday, I started a series on characters living double lives. There are no common characters in the stories, only the double lives theme is the same. I've become quite enthralled with this concept after writing the first story. I intended to title the stories "Double Lives: [main character's name]." Does this mean that this series wouldn't count even though the stories would not overlap or connect at all?

I did not think that series was synonymous with chapters. Shoot, Lit grouped some of my poems together as a "Hope" series even though the mention of hope in the poem is their only similarity.

The only submissions that have been disqualified are those that constitute an inequivocal sequel of previously posted stories, continuing the same story arc or string of events.

The titles or grouping assumed by Lit's system do not play a part in this. Even if a group of submissions are considered by Lit's automated system to be series, they are allowed for Survivor if each story is indeed independent, with a totally distinct arc.

Back