Are abusive comments really that common here?

I sometimes write stories that I know will elicit negative comments from some people, because I'm challenging an attitude or belief that people have about the topic. So if that happens I see that as success. Same if that story gets one-bombed a bit. I've hit the mark. I don't write to just look for approval, nor do I submit stories just for the purpose of seeking approval from the readers.

I only write and submit stories on occasion. The last two have had horrible comments right off the bat.
Here is the anonymous comment from my story that was posted this morning:

"Total fucking rubbish written by a total wanker."

First and only comment. I did get a couple of emails with good feedback, but this was the sole comment. Bleh. Disappointing.

I deleted the comment.

Question:
Do you delete these kinds of comments, or would you if your story received one?
Is there a way to just disable anonymous comments? I don't mind helpful comments, even if someone didn't like the story. But this comment, and the comment I received on the last story, were just insults that I don't need.

Maybe I don't have thick enough skin to post on this site!

I just write what I want to write and post it. In response to the thread slug, I haven't seen many abusive comments on my stories. They occur for such categories as Loving Wives more than others, but I haven't gotten many abusive comments on the stories I post there either. That said, I don't give two thoughts to how a story is going to be received when I'm writing it or when I've submitted in here.

I only write and submit stories on occasion. The last two have had horrible comments right off the bat.
Here is the anonymous comment from my story that was posted this morning:

"Total fucking rubbish written by a total wanker."

First and only comment. I did get a couple of emails with good feedback, but this was the sole comment. Bleh. Disappointing.

I deleted the comment.

Question:
Do you delete these kinds of comments, or would you if your story received one?
Is there a way to just disable anonymous comments? I don't mind helpful comments, even if someone didn't like the story. But this comment, and the comment I received on the last story, were just insults that I don't need.

Maybe I don't have thick enough skin to post on this site!

I tried to find you in the Author Index and failed:
Search results: no items found.
so I wonder what name you used on your story.
Unless you like to give me a pointer ?

The Author Index is another one of those broken areas of the Web site that causes Laurel to cross her eyes, deny, and call you a troll when site nonfunctionality is pointed out to her. More often than not the Author Index comes up blank for me in a search when I can find the author in a Member Index search.

Here's what I think you were looking for:

http://www.literotica.com/stories/memberpage.php?uid=1219679&page=submissions

I tried to find you in the Author Index and failed:
Search results: no items found.
so I wonder what name you used on your story.
Unless you like to give me a pointer ?

The trick on author index search is to put in the name of the author and if it says no results found click on the tab that says stories and they will show up that way.

Weird, but it works

The Author Index is another one of those broken areas of the Web site that causes Laurel to cross her eyes, deny, and call you a troll when site nonfunctionality is pointed out to her. More often than not the Author Index comes up blank for me in a search when I can find the author in a Member Index search.

Here's what I think you were looking for:

http://www.literotica.com/stories/memberpage.php?uid=1219679&page=submissions

Thank you, Pilot.
I now understand better and now have it.

Thanks, LC! I understand what you are saying, that it's best to write for myself.
If I like it, and it turns me on, then that should be enough right? I get that.

I'm a PR writer of sorts in my professional life, so it's critical to "sell" ideas and put a spin on everything. If the reader doesn't like it, there's no funding.

This is different, just writing for pleasure. I'm miles from being a real writer, I know, but the abusive type of comments are troubling. That's all.

Handley Page - Lovecraft posted a link above. I have a link on my profile page, too.
I'm just SouthernPeaches.

Correction, Handley - it was sr71plt that posted the link.
;-)

I appreciate everyone's comments here, by pm, and on the story comment section!
I'm considering what you have said, and I think I'll keep the anonymous option open.

Maybe I am a wanker and writer of fucking rubbish in the eyes of the reader.
So fuck them.

I don't understand this. I understand writing what you want to write for the pleasure of writing alone, but why post to the site? The only reason to post is to show your writing to other people. Why show them if you "don't give two thoughts to how a story is going to be received"?

It seems to me you either care about having an audience for your work or you don't. If not then why post? If you do, how can you not care how the writing is received? I even understand posting to enflame reader hate. That's called trolling, but I understand it. Why post without caring?

If you don't care, isn't the tiny work needed to jump through the submission process hoops more trouble than it's worth? If you don't care where you are going, why walk the long way?

You didn't read my whole post? I don't have much trouble with negative comments on my stories and, even with some voting trolls hanging off me, most of my stories rate over 4.0, they get terrific comments, and I'm perpetually listed as the most popular author in the primary category I post in in this name. What I write finds a satisfying audience here.

I also have almost never had trouble getting my stories smoothly through the submissions process.

As far as where I'm going, I've been doing this professionally for years. I develop, yes (e.g., the loose wordage rules at Literotica are making my stories progressively longer. I don't have to agonize over cuts to make stringent wordage limits), but I don't have any problem with "where I'm going." I'm have a great time doing my own thinking about what to write.

I don't see any problem that you seem to be assuming. So, I don't understand what you don't understand about that.

I don't understand this. I understand writing what you want to write for the pleasure of writing alone, but why post to the site? The only reason to post is to show your writing to other people. Why show them if you "don't give two thoughts to how a story is going to be received"?

It seems to me you either care about having an audience for your work or you don't. If not then why post? If you do, how can you not care how the writing is received? I even understand posting to enflame reader hate. That's called trolling, but I understand it. Why post without caring?

If you don't care, isn't the tiny work needed to jump through the submission process hoops more trouble than it's worth? If you don't care where you are going, why walk the long way?

I think there is a fine line in caring/not caring. Of course everyone would like their story to be well received, but you can't let the negatives get you to the point you're starting to write around what people think.

I get a laugh out of negative comments. They're sort of a rite of passage in a way and my personal opinion is deleting them tells the troll they upset you. Leaving them there tells them, "Know what? I don't care what you think" That's my take.

First, LC, I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Second, I don't give a shit what you think you're talking about.

Third,

"I don;t spend time checking on what other people are doing, I just worry about my own shit." -- Lovecraft68

:D :rolleyes:

You've got to be the sickest, sadest sack on this forum.

I wasn't speaking to you I was quoting someone else.

Nevertheless I would think the saddest sack on the forum award would go to the guy who created a second pen name and used it to compliment his own story.

That is pretty sad.

By the way thank you so much for that quote this morning that I now have in my sig.

It was nice of you to give me something for Christmas.

Winning a contest brings on the abuse.

Half a dozen in the last couple of hours...

Giving publishing advice to Lovecraft68 that shows he was being a sucker brings on years of abuse. :D

Winning a contest brings on the abuse.

Half a dozen in the last couple of hours...

I didn't get negatives on my Winter winner, but it got hit hard score wise went from a 4.82 down to 4.76 and it had over 1000 votes so that took quite a few bombs.

Ogg, that's a bummer. When you get your check, maybe buy a nice bottle of your preferred alcoholic beverage and raise a glass to those who vote a man down because he wrote a great story.

There's a great old Southern toast, "Confusion to the enemy!"

I wasn't speaking to you I was quoting someone else.

Nevertheless I would think the saddest sack on the forum award would go to the guy who created a second pen name and used it to compliment his own story.

That is pretty sad.

By the way thank you so much for that quote this morning that I now have in my sig.

It was nice of you to give me something for Christmas.

hahahahahahahahahahaha You are shitting us, right?

Non Human pretty much is the nicest board I've come across. 2 stories in 42 chapters, 3 overtly bad reviews. I'd say that a fabulous track record compared to other portions of the site.

One tip is to drift toward the outlying fetishes of fiction, where like-minded people are more likely to be. You know, outcasts banded together and whatnot.
However, if you do care about the comments and don't have an outlying fetish, you may just be SOL.

Loving His Non Human Fiction - Galloglaich

I also like your non-human fiction.

Why ... oh .. WHY aren't you posting more of them?

Montanos

Back