What's cookin', good lookin'? Part II

Unless you just really want cinnamon in your recipe, I say you don't need it. Generally, when something says graham crackers, it just means the plain ones. :)

Thanks! :)

Wiki says that these days the ones with cinnamon and sugar or chocolate and very sweet ones are the norm instead of the "traditional" ones, so I just wanted to make sure.
 
Thanks! :)

Wiki says that these days the ones with cinnamon and sugar or chocolate and very sweet ones are the norm instead of the "traditional" ones, so I just wanted to make sure.

You're welcome!

I'm not sure that I agree with Wiki on that, but it probably depends on where you live. Good luck with your recipe! :)
 
You're welcome!

I'm not sure that I agree with Wiki on that, but it probably depends on where you live. Good luck with your recipe! :)

Yeah, now that I read it again after I have actually woken up, wiki just says that the norm nowadays are sweet graham crackers made with larger quantities of white flour than the traditional ones, but the ones with cinnamon or chocolate added to them are popular as snack food, too.
 
So the graham cracker mess is all sorted out :)
I find that interesting. I can believe the part about using more white flour, but have actually never seen graham crackers with chocolate or cinnamon. There are Teddy Grahams, and they are probably heavily sugared and flavoured, but I would consider them more of a children's cookie, like an animal cracker. As bunny says, straight up is what I would use as well.
Pics! :p
 

Errrm. Not likely. :D

I'm trying to recreate the chocolate peanut butter cups Meeks made a while back. Look at her pics, those are better than what mine are turning out to be.

How she gets that chocolate coating even I will never understand. Mine are chilling in the fridge now and look very uneven.

I just tried a little peanut butter plain and yup, I still cannot stand the stuff. So gimme your best peanut butter recipes so that I can use up the rest of the jar. :)
 
Leftovers from my meal out with Master yesterday to celebrate 1-year together.
 
Leftovers from my meal out with Master yesterday to celebrate 1-year together.

Happy anniversary. :)



***

Well, here they are. Far from the beautiful uniformity of Meeks' cups. They are sweet! I only used half of the sugar the recipe called for but they're sickly sweet. I'm glad I only made 15 instead of the 30 the recipe was for.

In this form PB was quite palatable to me, though, so that's something. :)

attachment.php
 
Last edited:
Seela, I have a recipe or two for home made graham crackers if you need it. I know it seems silly to make a recipe before you can make a recipe but if they are hard to find it might be worth it.
 
Those look great, seela! (^-^)

And you're right, they are really sweet. This is why I only make them once and spend the rest of the year stuffing Mister with healthy foods. ;)
 
Seela, I have a recipe or two for home made graham crackers if you need it. I know it seems silly to make a recipe before you can make a recipe but if they are hard to find it might be worth it.

Thanks. I think I'll pass though, but maybe someone else would be interested. :)

It sounds like too much effort when I can substitute with Digestives (who came up with that name????), those seem similar enough and are commonly used as a Graham cracker substitute I've learned. I've become a very lazy cook and baker lately. :)
 
<Snip>

Well, here they are. Far from the beautiful uniformity of Meeks' cups. They are sweet! I only used half of the sugar the recipe called for but they're sickly sweet. I'm glad I only made 15 instead of the 30 the recipe was for.

In this form PB was quite palatable to me, though, so that's something. :)

<Pic Snip>

Why didn't you make them with Nutella instead, if you don't like peanut butter? :confused:

And it looks like you used chunky peanut butter, is that right? That seems odd to me, I have only ever had them with creamy peanut butter. As to a recipe, how about peanut butter cookies?

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix the vanilla into the egg and the peanut butter with the sugar, them combine the two. Roll into 1 inch balls. Flatten slightly with fork to make cookie shape and form a cross hatch pattern. Bake at 325 for 15 minutes on parchment paper.

Yum :)

Yours are neater than mine would be. I would also further assault mine with glitter or something. .

House guest got me a couple of avocados for pasta tonight, but they are so hard.:(. :(. I might have to keep them a while and do something different.:(.

You can put avocados in a paper bag and close it up to make them ripen faster. Add a banana if you have one. They won't ripen by dinnertime, but it does go faster than in open air...
 
Why didn't you make them with Nutella instead, if you don't like peanut butter? :confused:

And it looks like you used chunky peanut butter, is that right? That seems odd to me, I have only ever had them with creamy peanut butter. As to a recipe, how about peanut butter cookies?

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix the vanilla into the egg and the peanut butter with the sugar, them combine the two. Roll into 1 inch balls. Flatten slightly with fork to make cookie shape and form a cross hatch pattern. Bake at 325 for 15 minutes on parchment paper.

Yum :)

You know my Nutella rules, besides you can't make peanut butter cups with Nutella, then they're no longer peanut butter cups. And Nutella has chocolate in it too, so that would be even sweeter. Wouldn't work.

And yep, I used chunky because that was the only type that was available in the store when I went there. One brand only and chunky only. It's really not eaten here.

I'm trying to broaden my food horizons a little. :)
 
Yes, its just digestives really.

Also, I really dislike digestives with cheese. I'm kind of revolted by that. But I do like fruit cake with cheese.

Yes, digestives with cheese for the win!
I like Swedish pepparkakor with Stilton too though, so might not want to listen to me too much.

Seela, peanut butter with chocholate sause and vanillla ice cream perhaps?
Let the ice cream melt a bit like for semi freddo.
 
On the graham cracker question.

Nabisco is the graham cracker company I am familiar with. They launch under the name Honey Maid. Where I live, the cinnamon grahams, but not the chocolate. Apparently they now produce low fat :eek: and Despicable Me :D as well.

I've never seen anyone cook with anything besides the plain.
 
I have a savory recipe that uses peanut butter if anyone's interested. I've been making this so long that I don't use the recipe anymore, but I know that I use a little more curry powder, coriander, hot sauce, and peanut butter than the recipe calls for. Recipes are often just guidelines, after all. :)

This is served over pasta (my preference), rice, or whatever else sounds good to you. It's lovely as is, but I add chicken to it more often than not.

Anyway, here's the original recipe:

African Peanut Sauce

1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlive, minced
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (hot sauce)
2 tablespoons peanut butter (preferably unsalted and unsweetened)
1/4 cup unsalted roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped (optional)

Pasta, rice, etc.


Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pot. Saute the onions and garlic until onions are soft and golden.

Add the curry powder and coriander, and cook for about a minute.

Stir in the tomatoes, salt, pepper flakes, and hot sauce. Cover and simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes.

Stir in peanut butter. Peanuts can also be stirred in here or used to sprinkle as garnish, if using. Cook for about 5 minutes longer, stirring frequently. Peanut butter will melt into the sauce, and the sauce is ready when it has thickened.
 
I don't think I've ever had gumbo, but all that stuff together sure sounds good to me. I can offer no opinion on the Worcestershire sauce in gumbo, but I like the stuff, so I'd probably use it. :)

I love the peanut sauce. I'd never even heard of using peanut butter that way when I came across the recipe. Tomatoes and peanut butter?! But, I was intrigued and feeling adventurous. It's been a go-to recipe for me ever since, about eight years or so now.

I've no idea yet what dinner will be. I have to make a bunch of meatballs for a crowd tomorrow, so that's my food priority for today. I may end up just sneaking a few of them for dinner. ;)
 
Regarding the gumbo, I'd prefer without Worcestershire sauce but that won't ruin it. If the purpose it to brown it for some more color, try kitchen bouquet. You'll be fine without the file. And with the stock, are you making your own from water + bouillon? Or premade stock? If premade stock, just go ahead and use it. If from bouillon, then add water to the pot and slowly add the bouillon, you might find you like the flavor better less stock flavor that could mask some other stuff. But total personal preference! Just don't burn that roux. Good luck!

ETA: I'd not use the tomatoes.
 
Back
Top