A Highlander's Vengeance

She feared what his response might be, but she could not bring herself to wed him without being totally honest about her family history. She did not expect him to reach out to her and hold her to him.

“Ach Anna. Dinnae worry. “

Even at a time like this, she found she loved his Scottish brogue.

”That was then - this is now. You are a good woman. I can understand your fears, and together we will confront them. God will show us the way.””

She stood with him unaware of the creases in her gown, her eyes all on Douglas as he continued.

“I will love you no less, if you bear me a daughter than a son, or even no children at all.
It is you I love. I would happily grow old beside you & only you. We shall learn & grow together.”


The intensity of his emotion, the certainly with which he spoke of love for her amazed her.

“If we are blessed enough to enjoy the sound of a child’s laughter at the hearth, then so much the better. If not, then the Lord has other plans for us. He shall reveal our purpose in time - have faith!”

She smiled then at his encouragement. ... have faith ...
Even in tragedy, it seemed there was some higher plan working it’s way out

“Come, ride with me - the rest of our lives awaits us!”

She actually laughed at his invitation!
The world was in turmoil, her father dead, her fears newly expressed and yet within it all was the surety of their union.

It took but little time to refresh herself, brush out her hair and eat a quick breakfast.
She did her best with the gown, but concluded that the creases would soon fall out as she rode.
It was less than an hour later that the small group rode out following the band of Scots who preceeded them.

Though Anna felt a pang on knowing she would most likely not see England again and that there was no rite she could attend to commend her father’s spirit to God, she determined to put this to rights when she next found an appropriate church where a petition for an English man, an enemy might be accepted.

Though saddened by her loss, she could not help but dwell on the words Douglas had spoken to her that morning, marveling at how readily he could declare love for her and knowing that she would have no difficulty in falling in love with this man with whom she had shared so much in such a short time ...
 
Last edited:
Anna had actually laughed!
Douglas was surprised, given the terrible news she had received last night.

After they ate breakfast quickly, Douglas laughed at Anna, teasing her for the futility of trying to smooth the creases from her gown, as he broke doen their tent and packed everything away.

"You look beautiful, Anna. Dinnae worry. Let's ride together!"

He was surprised at his strength of feeling for her.
 
"You look beautiful, Anna. Dinnae worry. Let's ride together!"

His complement brought a smile to her face.
The journey was long and at times arduous, but Anna had always enjoyed riding and could not help but be exhilerated by a sense of freedom.

"My father always despaired of me ... "

She confided in Douglas as they rode together.

"I was taught to ride at an early age and he instantly regretted it ... "

She glanced across at the man beside her, amazed that she was able to speak of her father to him after what grief he had brought to Douglas. Yet somehow he seemed to accept that she would want to speak of him and did not anger or dismiss her words.

" ... in those days I just wanted to ride and ride and ride... "

She blushed as she confessed how she had felt when she was just a girl.
 
"I was nearly ten when I rode my first horse. Even then I only lasted aboot ten seconds in the saddle, before I fell on me face! See this scar?" He asked, rubbing a small while indentation on his chin.

"When I hit the ground, it was face first, right on a rock! Got me right there, it did. I was oot cold for nearly a day. Scared ma mother something terrible, I did."

He smiled, remembering.
"When I woke up, she slapped me in the face. Told me not ta be so stupid! Next time ta fall on me arse!"

I love to ride, but I haven't had time to just enjoy a ride, for riding's sake for ......years."

"Can ye gallop, Anna - we need ta catch up ta the others!" He kicked his horse's flank and the beast surged ahead, as he laughed, looking over his shoulder to see Anna in pursuit.

Linton and a few other men were about a half mile ahead.

Once they were close to Linton and the others, they slowed and resumed their talk, as they rode.

"If we see a Church, Anna shall we stop and ask to pray inside?" Douglas asked.
 
"I was nearly ten when I rode my first horse. Even then I only lasted aboot ten seconds in the saddle, before I fell on me face! See this scar?
When I hit the ground, it was face first, right on a rock! Got me right there, it did. I was oot cold for nearly a day. Scared ma mother something terrible, I did. When I woke up, she slapped me in the face. Told me not ta be so stupid! Next time ta fall on me arse!
I love to ride, but I haven't had time to just enjoy a ride, for riding's sake for ......years."


Anna listened to the stories of his childhood, trying to imagine him as a boy.
Although it seemed both of his parents had played a major part in his up-bringing, like her he had a family life, aspirations, parental expectations put upon him ...

"Can ye gallop, Anna - we need ta catch up ta the others!"

Before she could respond he had kicked out ahead of her. With a laugh, Anna followed suit, remembering how she had been instructed to ride at home, sedately, poised, groomed. And now she was galloping like a hoyden, hair streaming out behind her, dress crumpled and laughing as she attempted to draw along side Douglas.

Only when he slowed was she able to do so. She glanced ahead and saw that the others of their party were just in front now. She wondered what Douglas had told them and if their opinion of her had changed at all now that her father had been killed.

"If we see a Church, Anna shall we stop and ask to pray inside?"

She nodded and glanced across at him pensively.

"I ... would like to offer prayers for my father. "

She told him tentatively.

"It matters not that I am not able to bury him, but ... I must offer prayers for his soul ... for we both know that in these days, many men have blood on their hands ... though some more than others ..."

Her comment was supposed to allude to her father's war-thirsty life and not to Douglas or any of his clan. She eyed him anxiously hoping that she had not offended him with her request...
 
Douglas nodded in understanding.
"My parents are both dead. This war has brought only death and sorrow. Perhaps we could pray together, for your parents and mine?"

He then leaned closer and said:
"Later, I will need to talk to Linton and the others in my guard. They will suspect something is afoot, as I am spending much time talking to you. I will say that we are discussing theological matters, which I know do not interest them. That should appease their curiosity."

He looked across at Anna, as their horses walked sedately on, before continuing.
"They are not ready for the news I am bursting to tell them. It would be quite a shock I am sure. They are my closest friends and yet, only Linton would understand, I think. I must be very careful, else we may not find our journey to my Home as trouble-free as we had hoped. D'ye understand Anna?"
 
Douglas did not take offence.

“My parents are both dead. This war has brought only death and sorrow.
Perhaps we could pray together, for your parents and mine?”


She nodded a smile lighting her features.

”I’d like that ... Douglas... “

She murmured, using his given name for the first time ...

“Later, I will need to talk to Linton and the others in my guard. They will suspect something is afoot, as I am spending much time talking to you. I will say that we are discussing theological matters, which I know do not interest them. That should appease their curiosity.”

She chuckled that their faith should be used as excuse, though in truth why should he not guard her closely - not that she had resisted the ride northwards and she realised belatedly, he had ceased to order her around and had merely handed her the horse and invited her to mount that morning.

“They are not ready for the news I am bursting to tell them. It would be quite a shock I am sure. They are my closest friends and yet, only Linton would understand, I think. I must be very careful, else we may not find our journey to my Home as trouble-free as we had hoped. D’ye understand Anna?”

She nodded slowly.

”I think so .... but ... rather than telling them this is a match of free choice ...
Perhaps they would accept a marriage as a ‘spoil of war’? Or that your offer of marriage is made to protect one orphaned by ... circumstances? I am content for you to explain it in any way you wish. All that is important is that the truth is spoken between us and before the eyes of God...”


No sooner had the words passed Anna’s lips than a cross came into view. She turned to Douglas who confirmed that indeed they would stop there to offer their prayers for the departed. Sliding from her mount, Douglas helped Anna steady herself and turned towards the ancient building.

”This is just the place we should offer our prayers, Anna... “

He told her, explaining that the Church was located just on the boarder between the two countries and though technically on English soil was frequented by many of the Scots who lived in that area.

Bound by location, faith and grief the two walked silently into the building to offer prayers for the souls of both sets of parents lost. Anna praying that her father would forgive her for her choice of husband and for him to rest in peace rather than be tormented by the feeling that she had betrayed him. Moving away from Douglas then, she took herself to the side chapel, a private prayer to Our Lady as she prayed for her mother and prayed that she too would be a good wife and mother in the future she had chosen for herself and Douglas. By the time she rose, Douglas had completed his prayers and was awaiting her towards the back of the building.

She blinked as she came out into the daylight. Around her the countryside had become hilly, some rising in heights and gradient far in excess of anything she had seen before.

”So ... that is Scotland...?”

She queried as her gaze roamed on the road ahead of them and across the undulating landscape.

”Pray God, Scotland will be no more my enemy than I to Scotland ... “

She murmured knowing the reation of Douglas’ friends and family would greatly affect any happiness she and Douglas might share together ...
 
In response to Anna's question:
”So ... that is Scotland...?”

"Aye, Anna. Just beyond those hills lies the land of my forefathers, and my Home - Scotland. You will see some of the most beautiful places on Earth. We have another four days' ride until we get to McAllen lands."

Linton had slowed his horse and dropped back to ride beside Douglas.
"Douglas - are goin' te take her back home?"
"Aye Linton. She is an orphan too now. I will take her as mine, call it a trophy marriage, spoils of war."
"kinda at odds to yer religious beliefs if you ask me."
"Not at all, old friend. She has no-one. I think she is pretty. I want her for my own. I will care for her and over time, maybe learn to love her, with God's guidance."

Douglas looks over at Anna, then back at Linton.
"Anna needs to hear this, so she knows what lies ahead."

Linton shakes his head.
"Some of the lassies in the Village who have had their eye on you will not be happy Douglas. Please reconsider, for the sake of peace in the Village. We haven't had peace for years - now is our chance."

Douglas' voice remained calm, and even.
"No, Linton. I must do this. We have spoken about religious matters and Lady Anna shares my Faith. It is my duty before God to care for her. If she were left intact back at York, the other Lords and even the King might ask tough questions of her. She is a sheltered young woman, with no experience in those places. They would tear her apart and then feed her to the wolves. I will not allow another innocent to be harmed, even if she is the daughter of my Father's killer."

Linton held his gaze.
"I see trouble coming Douglas - not from me, old friend, I will have your back until the day you die, unless you wish it otherwise. As my father served yours before he died, I serve you. I will grant you, she is pretty, but some of our country-men and -women will not see your bringing her back as an act of kindness, but as an insult to all they hold dear."

"Thank You, my friend. But if someone is to break the cycle of animosity and distrust, between Scotland & England, then perhaps it should be me. I will take her as my wife and there will be no petition against it by any McAllans. I trust you to see to that. can you do that for me?"

Linton shook his head sadly.
"You're hard-headed as ever, Douglas, but perhaps that is why I love you, as a brother! I can see I am going to be busy once we are home."

Linton spurred his horse and rode forward to talk to the others.

"You need to know what we ride into Anna." Douglas explained. "Some among my people will not be happy, but they will have to accept it, for my mind is made up, and I shall not be swayed!"

He reached across and took her small hand in his, and just held it as they rose, side-by-side, as the sun continued to climb into the sky, as they crossed the border into Scotland.
 
“Aye, Anna. Just beyond those hills lies the land of my forefathers, and my Home - Scotland. You will see some of the most beautiful places on Earth. We have another four days’ ride until we get to McAllen lands.”

Anna’s eyes widened in shock.

” ... our more days...?”

Not only was she unused to riding so far and sleeping upon the ground, but she was sure that her dress, a day gown rather than a riding habit would be ragged by the time they reached their final destination. But before she could question Douglas further she realised that his comrade, Linton had dropped back to join them and she fixed her eyes upon the road ahead as she rode silently beside the two men.

“Douglas - are goin’ te take her back home?”

The question displayed a level of friendship that made tact unnecessary.

“Aye Linton. She is an orphan too now. I will take her as mine, call it a trophy marriage, spoils of war.”

She made no reaction to the way he explained away his intention to marry her.

“kinda at odds to yer religious beliefs if you ask me.”

She hid a smile. This man it seemed knew Douglas all too well.

“Not at all, old friend. She has no-one. I think she is pretty. I want her for my own.
I will care for her and over time, maybe learn to love her, with God’s guidance.”


Again the twisted truth to suit their ends.

“Anna needs to hear this, so she knows what lies ahead.”

She looked across at him then, her eyes raising to meet those of Linton. She saw no warmth there, but neither was there any hostility. His concern was all for Douglas.

“Some of the lassies in the Village who have had their eye on you will not be happy Douglas. Please reconsider, for the sake of peace in the Village. We haven’t had peace for years - now is our chance.”

So ... Douglas was considered a catch back in his homeland? She was not surprised.
Though no Lord or courtier he was a leader and an important man amongst his own people.

“No, Linton. I must do this. We have spoken about religious matters and Lady Anna shares my Faith. It is my duty before God to care for her. “

These words seemed to be more plausible to Linton.

”If she were left intact back at York, the other Lords and even the King might ask tough questions of her. She is a sheltered young woman, with no experience in those places.
They would tear her apart and then feed her to the wolves.”


Though justifying his decision, Anna knew that Douglas spoke the truth. She considered momentarily what might indeed happen if he returned her to York. Without the protection of her father, but with the inheritance of his monies and lands she would be a rich young woman to be married off imediately. And to a man not of her own choosing. Then again ... if they believed she were no longer virtuous ... then she had no idea what fate might befall her or her father’s estate.

”I will not allow another innocent to be harmed, even if she is the daughter of my Father’s killer.”

She was indeed an innocent in all this. And although fraught with problems even danger, Anna calculated that Douglas was still her best option for happiness.

“I see trouble coming Douglas - not from me, old friend, I will have your back until the day you die, unless you wish it otherwise. As my father served yours before he died, I serve you.

His attention had been all on Douglas, but he turned to run an assessing eye in her direction causing her to blush and lower her gaze.

” I will grant you, she is pretty, but some of our country-men and -women will not see your bringing her back as an act of kindness, but as an insult to all they hold dear.”

Through it all Douglas remained calm and undisturbed.

“Thank You, my friend. But if someone is to break the cycle of animosity and distrust, between Scotland & England, then perhaps it should be me. I will take her as my wife and there will be no petition against it by any McAllans. I trust you to see to that. can you do that for me?”

They were both to rely on Linton it seemed to enable the marriage to even take place.

“You’re hard-headed as ever, Douglas, but perhaps that is why I love you, as a brother!
I can see I am going to be busy once we are home.”


The man was not happy about Douglas’ decision, but at least accepted it. She watched him riding ahead once more knowing that he would be speaking to the others one by one to inform them of Douglas’ intentions.

“You need to know what we ride into Anna. Some among my people will not be happy, but they will have to accept it, for my mind is made up, and I shall not be swayed!”

She smiled then as he took her hand reassured by his words and warmed by his intention to take care of her. She did not have to ask whether he would rather wed one of his own people rather than her.

”They must hate the English very much ... “

She replied sadly knowing that if the situation were reversed then the English would react in just the same way.

” ... and the daughter of their leader’s murderer ... “

She shook her head saddened by the impossibility of it all.

”You are sure, Douglas?”

She questioned.

” ... that this is what you want?”

She reached out and touched his face gently, the action innocent, yet tender.

”... when it’s just us ... it all seems possible ... but there is so much working against us ... “

Somehow she wondered if she would ever be accepted in this new land that was to be her home from now onwards ...
 
Douglas looked across at Anna.
"Yes, some of my people do hate the English. Some of them have lost everything, even their dignity due to atrocities carried out by English troops under the banner of war."

Douglas sadly reflected on the truth of what he said.

Then he smiled, as if the sun had played across his face.

"This is what I want, Anna. You're what I want. Us, together. No-one else matters now. I feel a bond with you stronger than any I have felt with any woman before."

He paused to form his thoughts in his mind.

"It seems the world is against us. Yet so did it, when Jesus walked into the Desert. God showed him the way and looked after him. So will God guide and protect us, you'll see!"

Douglas then rode on in silence for a while. He had much to consider before they arrived at his Village.
The other Elders would expect to be updated on what had happened in England, and how, exactly had they been expected to take in an English woman, and the Daughter of Faulkner, no less!
'What were you thinking, Douglas!?' They would say.

Every now and then, he looked across at Anna, as if to check she were still there, and not some beautiful apparition, a figment of his imagination.

As Afternoon, passed into early evening, the party halted for the night and set Camp.
As was now their custom, Anna & Douglas ate together, apart from the other men, who had come to expect it, but they still wanted Douglas to spend time with them, after all, he was their Clan Chief!

Before he went to them, he made sure Anna was safe & secure in his tent.

He had promised to return for evening prayers with her...
 
Anna watched Douglas leave the tent and spend time with his men. As their leader he could not neglect them for then they would have still more time to resent her. After considerable thought, Anna slipped out of her gown and shook it out, laying it carefully before retiring in her petticoats to the relative comfort and warmth of the fern bed.

She reflected back on the events of the day and her increasing realisation that though she had always been told that the English were threatened by the Scots, the Scots too had suffered at the hands of her own people.

She sighed heavily, but was encouraged by Douglas’s insistence that he wanted her and that being together was all that mattered to him now. And she trusted that he spoke the truth, yet she could hardly believe that this Scot had fallen in love with her to such an extent to risk the objection of his people and unrest in his homeland.

But ... how did she feel about him. In truth, she too felt a bond between them, more than that of a captive dependent upon her captor. Though they were worlds apart, she found they had much in common in their values, morals and of course religion. She respected him more than any other man she had ever known, but with her limited knowledge of men, how could she know if she loved him? What she did know was that with her father dead, he was the dearest person to her at present. Perhaps that was love? But she did not wish to make any declaration before she was sure that she spoke the truth to him, for she had made up her mind from the beginning that this man who had taken such care of her deserved nothing but honesty in her dealings with him.

“It seems the world is against us. Yet so did it, when Jesus walked into the Desert. God showed him the way and looked after him. So will God guide and protect us, you’ll see!”

The words came back to her now as she lay in the darkness awaiting Douglas’ return.
She made her private orisons in the darkness, but if Douglas wished to recite the prayer book, she would be more than willing to rise, redress and join him as they had arranged.


Douglas seemed to have a simple faith that their marriage would be blessed by God. And as she lay in dark solitude she prayed for the faith to believe that too ...
 
Douglas had enjoyed his time with his men, but didn't want to drink too much ale.
Their singing and revelry made his heart swell with pride, for these were his men and their morale was good; they were heading home to their families and friends.

Now Douglas returned to his tent and as he lifted the flap, he could see in the dim light of the moon, that Anna had removed her gown and retired into her bed for the night.

Douglas had said he would return to say evening prayers with her, but if she slept, she would have recited her orisons alone. Douglas felt a pang of guilt that he had let her down, but he would not wake her.

Douglas removed his sword-belt and breastplate, then knelt upon his bed and began his prayers, uttering them in a hoarse whisper, as the singing earlier had taken its toll on his voice.

"Lord, tonight I wish to speak to you from my heart, rather than from your good book."
After a pause for breath he continued:
"Although she is no daughter of Scotland, she shares my faith in you and your eternal benevolence. She sleeps beside me, and rides with me to join me in my Village. Her beauty rivals that of your angels, Lord, and her sharp mind meets mine at every turn. She knows not the underhandedness of some of the men of this world, but her goodness and tender heart endear her to me, like no other ever has. I would take her as my own, to love, care for and protect."

Douglas struggles with the next sentence and simply asks:
"If you see it in your interests Lord, I beseech you to make those around us understand that love can conquer all, and that she will rise above the petty squabbling & indifference
of those around us to stand before you and place her life with mine, in your hands until the end of time."

He looked across at Anna, laid across her fern bed, glad that she slept, for when he spoke from the heart, part of him was embarrassed at his strength of feeling.

That was the second time that he had laid bare his heart since he met Anna. She had brought around a profound change in him and he loved her for it.

"Lord, bless us, as she even looks serene as she sleeps. She knows not how glad she has made my heart which soars like a swallow on the wind. I would give all I have, to spend the rest of my days in her company. This I ask in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit - Amen."

Douglas began to ready himself for sleep, still smiling from his prayer, as he lay down beside her.

"Goodnight Anna, my love." He whispered, as he placed a calloused hand upon her cheek, which he stroked, as gently as he could.
 
Anna had intended to wait for Douglas, but having ridden for such a distance, her found that sleep overcame her; so much so that she did not hear him return to the tent, nor his softly spoken prayers. She only stirred as he slid down on the fern bed beside her, his voice murmuring softly as his hand touched her cheek lightly. With a soft sigh, Anna seemed to ease her body closer to Douglas’s, perhaps drawn by his body heat, perhaps responding to his voice. Yet she did not stir further as she lay with him, intimate yet innocent throughout the night ...

The following day followed much the same pattern as that of the day before: The covers saving Anna’s modesty as did Douglas’ insistence that he see to his men giving Anna time to dress fully and attempt to make herself presentable. Her hair now hung loose about her shoulders; the few pins that had held her hair back having been lost by now. Though she kept it as neatly as she could, once in saddle, her long hair was caught by the wind and waved as a blonde flag as she and Douglas galloped along this time keeping up with the other men for most of the time ...

Around her the landscaped changed. Though used to the hills and landscape of Northern England, Anna was fascinated by the increasingly higher peaks that rose at either side of her and marveled at the landscape. The scenery was so rugged that it was clear that crops could only be raised in the lowlands, yet amazingly livestock did seem to be able to establish themselves and even thrive on those increasingly steep slopes.

By early evening, they came to their first settlement. The village was small with simple dwellings, but it was a place where she was told they could enjoy a hot meal and refresh their supplies before making the final push north. Anna was curious to watch how Douglas was welcomed. Though uncertain as to what the villagers had been told of her identity, she found herself the recipient of silent, hostile glances. Not one of the Scots spoke directly to her or even acknowledged Anna's presence.

Amongst her own people she had been well liked, but all Anna could do now was to look to Douglas for guidance as to how to deal with this hostility for, remembering what he had said about opposition to their proposed union, she knew only he would know if these people and indeed his own men posed a risk to her safety. She had no way of knowing just how much Douglas had told his men and these people about his intentions towards her and she could only assume that they would not take kindly to an enemy in their homeland.
 
Anna seemed invigorated during their continued journey Northward.
Her hair had become 'wild', as Douglas would say. The pins that previously gathered it together into a very ladylike style, long gone.

She was definitely an accomplished horsewoman, and seemed to be Douglas' match at all things equestrian. She certainly wasn't as fearful of riding at a full gallop, as many other young ladies were.

As they arrived into the Village of Auchencarroch, the locals eyed Anna suspiciously. Her clothing was obviously not local, and of much finer cloth than theirs.
'Who is this lady, and what is she doing with these highlanders?' they must be thinking.

Douglas approached the small Inn, and bade the group to wait outside.

He entered and returned after a couple of minutes.

Linton looked concerned, and when Douglas looked around, he saw that several of the men were armed and didn't look very happy.

"We ride North again, and camp near Loch Lomond." he said simply, as he placed a foot in the stirrup to hoist himself onto his mount.

A man stepped from the crowd, with a battleaxe, and stood the haft between his feet, leaning easily on the head.

"Wait MacAllan. I would have words with you." He said, in a voice which implied he was used to being obeyed.

"Who speaks to me?" Douglas demanded.
"I am Adam of Auchencarroch. Warrior and Leader of this Village. I would speak with you."
"Very well, then speak, please." Implored Douglas.
"Perhaps we can go somewhere private?" Adam asked.
"I have no secrets - my friends I trust with my life. Please speak - what have you to say to me?"
Adam smiled, a cold, hostile smile.
"Word reaches us that you ride back home, through our lands, with the daughter of Faulkner. This lady seems to be wearing fine clothes and holds herself high, as an English Lady would. Do you have any understanding of the ill-feeling my people & I hold towards her?"
"I understand your enmity Adam, and we look for no trouble. We just wish to be away, and head North, with God's speed. Why do you & your people hold hostility against the Lady - she is not her Father, but an innocent in all this."

Adam laughed sarcastically and said in a loud voice, for the benefit of the crowd:
"Hear that - she is innocent!"
A rumble of mocking laughter rippled through the crowd, and Adam almost nonchalantly kicked the head of his battleaxe and caught the handle so, he was holding it ready to use.
He added in a sinister whisper that only those close to him could clearly hear: "She is a Faulkner. She is not innocent but as guilty as her Father, for the terrible things he and his men have done to us. Jennifer, come here, child."

A young woman, perhaps eighteen years old, steps forward holding the hand of a small child, a girl, by the ragged dress she wears.
She says in a soft lilting burr:
"I am eighteen years old, my daughter is nearly three years old. I was raped by several of Faulkner's soldiers in the Winter that year, three years past. As a Catholic, you know I had no choice but to bear this child. What did I do to deserve that? This man and his friends held me down and took turns with me, as I screamed and fought and kicked to get away. To make me stop they gave me this."

She lifted her simple top to show a ragged scar, running across her midriff, and up between her breasts.

"He used a dagger, with the blade heated in the fire. I fainted with the pain, and was left to die, found by one of the other villagers."

It was at this point, the girl could be seen to shiver visibly.
 
Last edited:
Anna

The hostility in the village was palpable as they rode along. Anna could feel eyes on her knowing that despite her wild hair and creased apparel, it’s quality obviously marked her out as one high-born and an outsider.

They stopped and Douglas went inside an Inn. As he disappeared inside it seemed that that a group of men began to draw closer. They neither said, nor did anything to threaten and yet she was disquieted none the less.
He entered and returned after a couple of minutes.

“We ride North again, and camp near Loch Lomond.”

Douglas spoke softly as he re-mounted. That silent instruction filling Anna with more terror than previously.

“Wait MacAllan. I would have words with you.”

The man stepped forward in challenge. Anna inhaled sharply and wrapped the reins around her hand, the leather cutting into her skin in an attempt to still her trembling and stop herself from expressing her rising fear.

“Who speaks to me?”

Anna sat impassive as Douglas dealt with the warrior before him.

“Word reaches us that you ride back home, through our lands, with the daughter of Faulkner.”

Anna forced herself to meet his contemptuous gaze silently as he continued.

”This lady seems to be wearing fine clothes and holds herself high, as an English Lady would. Do you have any understanding of the ill-feeling my people & I hold towards her?”

Anna risked a slight glance around the assembled group and saw nothing but hatred, now fixed upon her.

“I understand your enmity Adam, and we look for no trouble. We just wish to be away, and head North, with God’s speed.
Why do you & your people hold hostility against the Lady - she is not her Father, but an innocent in all this.”


Douglas’s words were met with derision.

“Hear that - she is innocent!”

Around her laughter broke out and yet there was no amusement or mirth in the sound.
She looked around nervously until her head snapped back as the man Adam’s laughter halted and he took up his battle axe.
Use

“She is a Faulkner. She is not innocent but as guilty as her Father, for the terrible things he and his men have done to us.”

Anna shivered visibly at his words. She had been ignorant of the full extent of her father’s actions and yet even if she had known, had understood, could she even have persuaded him to behave otherwise?

”Jennifer, come here, child.”

Anna looked down at the young woman who drew near, a small child stood beside her.

“I am eighteen years old, my daughter is nearly three years old. I was raped by several of Faulkner’s soldiers in the Winter that year, three years past.”

Anna flinched at the words, yet could she too not have suffered the same fate, if Douglas had not proved to be honourable and strong enough to protect her from the vengeance of his men?

” As a Catholic, you know I had no choice but to bear this child.
What did I do to deserve that? “


Anna had no words to respond to this girl.

”This man and his friends held me down and took turns with me, as I screamed and fought and kicked to get away. To make me stop they gave me this.”
He used a dagger, with the blade heated in the fire. I fainted with the pain, and was left to die, found by one of the other villagers.”


The account continued in shocking detail. Anna forced herself to look at the scar the girl showed her, turning pale at the sight at the account of this woman’s suffering.

”My God ... “

She murmured hoarsely, tears that had filled her eyes spilling unheeded as she felt fellowship and compassion with this young woman. Without thinking, her hands moved to unlace the reins that had held her securely immobile and in one swift movement she slid from the back of the horse, totally oblivious to the hostile crowd around her and crossed the short distance between her and the young woman, Jennifer.

Wordlessly Anna wrapped her arms around the young girl and attempted to draw her close.
She felt the rigid resistance in the woman, pride and anger holding Jennifer aloof from Anna’s spotaneous gesture of humanity. The refusal to respond with equal warmth to her gesture of conciliation shocked Anna until she drew back and looked into Jennifer’s eyes. Pain and hatred were evident, but they masked a vulnerability that was barely protected by those emotions. Anna nodded in understanding and murmured.

”I wish I could undo what has happened to you ... to so many of us ... but I can’t ... “

Respecting the young girl’s refusal of comfort, Anna glanced down to the child clinging to her mother’s skirts and crouched down at the little girl’s level, uncaring of the muddying of her skirts. With a tender smile, she lightly stroked the child’s hair and with the slightest pause, glanced down to her hands, moving one to the other to draw off the ring she always wore on the middle finger of her right hand.

”Here little one ... “

She was sure the mother would accept nothing from her directly, but the ring, a ruby studded band with her family crest engraved on the inside was all she had to give and would be sure to bring a handsome price as a trophy of war if as nothing else.

” ... a trinket for you ... “

Anna could only pray that her gesture would secure the future of both mother and child.

” ... you have a beautiful daughter ... God willing she will be raised in peace ... “
 
Douglas was humbled by Anna’s gesture. The offer of what to her was a family heirloom, meant it was precious to her, but she obviously wanted to atone for her Father’s troops, and their conduct.

As he looked around the gathered throng, he saw their demeanour had softened a little. The little girl looked up at her young mother, and said haltingly:
“Look Mama – it’s pretty, pretty!”
The young woman, Jennifer had tears in her eyes. She was no jeweller, but she too recognised the beauty of Anna’s ‘trinket’.
The little girl, innocent of the hate engendered between English & Scot, looked wide eyed at Anna, and then back to her mother.
She stepped forward and wrapped her arms around Anna’s legs, hugging her.
“T’ank You.” She said simply, but the feeling contained in those words, spoke volumes. She saw another woman, who had given her a beautiful gift, not an enemy of her people.

Douglas eventually found his voice.
“All of you people gathered here. See what an act of kindness can achieve. This woman may have been Faulkner’s daughter but he is no more. Between us, an English woman and a Scotsman, we will do all we can to repair the hurts caused between our two nations. Time cannot be undone, but hopefully our two peoples can learn to live side-by-side in harmony.”

He paused and looked about him, then stared Adam in the eye, who stood stock still but for now, offered no opposition to his words. Douglas continued:
“Perhaps one day, this little girl will have friends who once lived south of our borders, and they can live together and share in God’s bounty!”

Douglas looked at the little girl, and asked her “What is your name, lassie?”
The little girl looked at him and without fear, with her head held high answered him:
“Heather.”
She smiled at him, completely unaware of the hostility her elders had held for their visitors not five minutes before.
Douglas wanted to ask who her Father was, and if he were here, but was afraid he knew the answer, after the tale Jennifer had told.
His heart sank for a moment, as he considered that, but then he realised that such a beautiful child should not be raised in an environment where hate & fear are foremost in people’s minds.

Douglas reached into his saddlebag and pulled out a handful of gold coins.
“Adam – these were taken from Faulkner’s Keep at York. Use them to do good here. I sense you are a good man, and these people are of the Lord’s flock.”

Douglas looked sideways at Anna, aware that his words would have stung her, but also aware he needed to show his fellow Scots that if the cycle of hate & distrust was to be broken then some hard words would have to be spoken and some difficult acts performed.

Adam bent down and scooped up some of the coins.
“Your words are persuasive, Douglas. I do not want to see any further bloodshed either. Perhaps we can start something new today.”

A muttering started up amongst the crowd. They were feeling uneasy, but Adam’s apparent acceptance of Douglas’ words had them wondering.

A voice piped up from among the crowd:
“Yes, let’s start on the road to peace. There need be no more fighting, if the English agree. Doesn’t the Lord command us all to live peaceably together?”

The crowd parted to reveal a Priest, in a cassock and carrying a shepherd’s crook.

“Come now, everyone. We are all God’s children - let us show with actions as well as words that we will stand as our own people. Word has just reached me that the King of England has died in London. His evil reign has died with him.”

He let those words sink in, as he added:
“William Wallace has been put to death, in London, but the crowd who watched were not as happy as you would expect. It seems they are ready for peace as well. If the Prince of Wales is true to his spirit – he will end the war against us.”

Another voice spoke up then. “If not, The Bruce will unite Scotland against him!”

The priest replied:
"Let us hope these hostilities are short lived, so we can live in peace, all of us together!"
 
Back
Top