Can a story be too diverse?

Nezhul

Angry Flufferpuff
I have a story in mind, and it is about sexual slavery. I'm not writing it just yet, but I have this hesitation inside about it being too diverse.

The story is long, and it's more like a novel, maybe even a two-part novel. It's about a girl who got kidnapped into slave trade, and it has a long meaningful plot to it.

Thing is, during her journey the story changes. From being more like erotic horror in the beginning, to turning more loving and romantic in the end when he gets taken in by a better owner.

But will that change throw off the story? I'm afraid that those who like horror parts will be thrown off by milder 3rd act, and vice versa.

what do you think?

I have a story in mind, and it is about sexual slavery. I'm not writing it just yet, but I have this hesitation inside about it being too diverse.

The story is long, and it's more like a novel, maybe even a two-part novel. It's about a girl who got kidnapped into slave trade, and it has a long meaningful plot to it.

Thing is, during her journey the story changes. From being more like erotic horror in the beginning, to turning more loving and romantic in the end when he gets taken in by a better owner.

But will that change throw off the story? I'm afraid that those who like horror parts will be thrown off by milder 3rd act, and vice versa.

what do you think?

Honestly i think it depends on the story, I mean take a look at Three Square Meals or Steampunk Harlots. If you keep the plot line interesting i think people will stick with a story usually. You should avoid using any extreme fetishes though.

My writing is usually about fetishes, so can't really avoid them. It's supposed to be a niche story to begin with.

Or if my extreme you mean stuff like scat or bloodletting - no, I don't go that far.:cattail:

Heh. This isn't about story ideas but writer's limitations. So thanks a fucking lot to a mod who moved the thread here - I reall can't wait to hear IDEAS about my plot, and I don't need author feedback at all.:mad:

Heh. This isn't about story ideas but writer's limitations. So thanks a fucking lot to a mod who moved the thread here - I reall can't wait to hear IDEAS about my plot, and I don't need author feedback at all.:mad:

You were caught in the cross fire of two mods who play games by shoving other threads into each others forums. This was obviously a case of spite because although I believe this didn't really belong where you put, the proper forum would have been the Author's hang out, not here because you're asking a direct question.

Maybe it will get moved again.

People will follow a story as long as you can keep it interesting. I would say to post in non consent because of how the story starts off it will get flamed anywhere else. As the relationship changes over (kudos for not just writing non stop rape and abuse, but making it a story and a possible happy ending) Keep it there even as it changes because there is a faction for those types of stories there.

The length shouldn't matter but if you do chapters make sure you are breaking them up in a manner that in each one something significant happens to keep a nice pace going

Good luck

I believe this didn't really belong where you put
I originally posted it into Author's Hangout.

A mod war? Seriously? That's when you understand it's time to send the forums to hell.:rolleyes:

To the "will it be disadvantaged" question--yes, probably, by some readers. But that isn't a reason not to write it and that it unfold as it wants to.

Merely post it all in Loving Wives and watch the blood flow.

this loving wives is becoming a local meme.:cattail:

And I wouldn't be technically wrong too. Because in the very end, she becomes a wife after all.

"will it be disadvantaged"
Ugh. That's why I have to re-read and re-edit everything I write several times before even sending it to the editors. Don't always do it with forum posts, that's why there are such phrases.:rolleyes:
Still not 100% used to the language, I guess. I wonder if I ever will be.

Post it anyway. The worst thing that can happen is that it gets a bad rating. What matters most is your opinion of the story. If you're happy with it, post it.

I think some authors worry too much about reader reaction. When I write, I'm writing to please myself. If someone else likes it, that's great. If a story gets a bad rating, oh well.

Thing is, I want to start publishing y stories. For money. That doesn't mean I will start sucking up to readers' opinions, but the thing is I have A LOT of stories in mind. And we are talking AT LEAST full novels here, short flicks aside.

Like, I have at least 6 erotic stories that are mostly thought-through, and 5 non-erotic stories among which 3 are supposed to be multi-book titles.
I also have about a dozen stories that are on the stage of concepts or random thoughts. "I wanna do something along those lines" kind of stories. Or others that I have a plan for a few chapters but don't really know where to go with them, so I put them aside for now.

I have too much on my mind that I can currently write down, and this allows me a certain freedom in choosing what I do next. The story I mentioned here is only one option, and I'm quite content in putting it aside in favor of others if I think it will be less popular with the readership.

I'm currently trying to get serious about writing, because that's one of my dream jobs. I've been fooling around for a few years now, starting the stories when I had tha passion for them, then never finishing them and moving on to another story or fantasy. I'm trying to get organized now, write every day and research the stuff I do, concentrate on finishing my stories before moving on. I really don't see much point in publishing the good stuff here anymore, because I get little out of it, and I risk a lot that my stories will be stolen and used.

That's why more strategical planning of what I write is important for me.

Last edited:
Maybe you can hint in the earlier chapters about what direction it will take later on? You could bring up something she longs for, and that are later fulfilled. Or use flashbacks to some of her past life, describing things she wants (and later gets) again. Just some thoughts.

I notice when reading stories here that some authors try to cram in all their kinks in one story. That can bring it down for me, and not just if I dislike one or more of the kinks. It just ends up feeling forced and unfocused sometimes.

Last edited:
Thing is, I want to start publishing y stories. For money. That doesn't mean I will start sucking up to readers' opinions, but the thing is I have A LOT of stories in mind. And we are talking AT LEAST full novels here, short flicks aside.

Like, I have at least 6 erotic stories that are mostly thought-through, and 5 non-erotic stories among which 3 are supposed to be multi-book titles.
I also have about a dozen stories that are on the stage of concepts or random thoughts. "I wanna do something along those lines" kind of stories. Or others that I have a plan for a few chapters but don't really know where to go with them, so I put them aside for now.

I have too much on my mind that I can currently write down, and this allows me a certain freedom in choosing what I do next. The story I mentioned here is only one option, and I'm quite content in putting it aside in favor of others if I think it will be less popular with the readership.

I'm currently trying to get serious about writing, because that's one of my dream jobs. I really don't see much point in publishing the good stuff here anymore, because I get little out of it, and I risk a lot that my stories will be stolen and used.

That's why more strategical planning of what I write is important for me.

In that case, you have to write what you think will be palatable to readers, so if you think your story would be too divisive, yeah scrap it or make big changes to it. You'd probably be better off going with another story idea that you think has potential to be popular.

Back