Depression. Anxiety. Panic Attacks. etc

I've found a website that has basic information on a lot of the major drugs out there for treating anxiety. Thought I'd post it, in case it might be of any help to anyone:

Anti-anxiety Meds

Lynxie said:
I've found a website that has basic information on a lot of the major drugs out there for treating anxiety. Thought I'd post it, in case it might be of any help to anyone:

Anti-anxiety Meds

There you go TMV , told you it wouldn`t take long.;)

Thanks Lynxie:rose:

Lynxie said:

Anti-anxiety Meds

Thank you SO much. I highly reccomend everyone takes a look at this site. It's a problem that I didn't even realize i had at first, then i ignored it figureing it would go away, and well as with most it just spirals downward into hell.

It's gotten to the point where it affects every aspect of my life. Avoiding all public settings like the plague, a contest feeling/need to get out of there and on my way. It caused me to drop out of college awhile back, too nervous to even make any friends, my caereer. Not to mention my dating life which has been non-exsist even though i knew certain girls i liked were interested in me, i just couldn't make the first move. It's drastically effected my life, and the scariest part is definatly going to be seeking treatment.

Last edited:
takemyvirginity said:
Thank you SO much. I highly reccomend everyone takes a look at this site. It's a problem that I didn't even realize i had at first, then i ignored it figureing it would go away, and well as with most it just spirals downward into hell.

It's gotten to the point where it affects every aspect of my life. Avoiding all public settings like the plague, a contest feeling/need to get out of there and on my way. It caused me to drop out of college awhile back, too nervous to even make any friends, my caereer. Not to mention my dating life which has been non-exsist even though i knew certain girls i liked were interested in me, i just couldn't make the first move. It's drastically effected my life, and the scariest part is definatly going to be seeking treatment.

TMV, Getting treatment might be one the scariest things you do but try and push your self to get it because will be one of the best things you do.
It took me over 20 years to get the courage up to get my drivers licence, I could drive and did on my own property and that didn`t bother me at all, but on public roads, you`ve got to be kidding. After I went on the meds, plus a lot of begging pleading and support from ,my wife, plus her showing me that there was something more important than my fear, my childrens safety.
I did manage to get my licence, hell I even drive for a living, so hang in there TMV, it is possible, this thing just sucks the life out of you sometimes but it can be beaten/controlled. Yell if you need a hand, I`m sure there wiil be someone here to help in whatever way they can.

Last edited:
Well there you go, it seems I had no idea what an anxiety attack was, I thought it was just feeling nervous, getting sweaty, wanting to leave, but something I could push through, make myself face it.
WRONG.
What I had yesterday/today was a whole new experience for me, we were due to stay over at a friends house, people I like and get on well with. However somewhere along the way I dissolved into a blubbering mess, begging my wife to take me home, and we hadn`t even arrived yet.
To cut a long story short she stopped the car, held me and talked me through it. Yes I went, my emotions were like waves at the beach, and I dreaded each wave.
I went from teary to isolated, to okay then back to teary and so on.
My friends understood and helped, my wife was nearby at all times, and much as I just wanted to come home I actually had a good time.
So I guess I have moved on to a new phase in this wonderful disease, always something new and exciting to look forward to.
But I have my "Light in the Darkness" right beside me so we will prevail.

Last edited:
quoll said:
Well there you go, it seems I had no idea what an anxiety attack was, I thought it was just feeling nervous, getting sweaty, wanting to leave, but something I could push through, make myself face it.
WRONG.
What I had yesterday/today was a whole new experience for me, we were due to stay over at a friends house, people I like and get on well with. However somewhere along the way I dissolved into a blubbering mess, begging my wife to take me home, and we hadn`t even arrived yet.
To cut a long story short she stopped the car, held me and talked me through it. Yes I went, my emotions were like waves at the beach, and I dreaded each wave.
My friends understood and helped, my wife was nearby at all times, and much as I just wanted to come home I actually had a good time.
So I guess I have moved on to a new phase in this wonderful disease, always something new and exciting to look forward to.
But I have my "Lght in the Darkness" right beside me so we will prevail.
I'm soooooo glad you two love each other so much and have helped one another through it all!:rose:

quoll said:
WRONG.
But I have my "Lght in the Darkness" right beside me so we will prevail.

I would love to have had a spouse like that.....

glad you're ok sweet Q :kiss:

Skye Hon, yes we have helped each other, but that`s what friends do for each other.
I am surrounded by friends at the moment so it is hard to be down for long. Thank you for being here for me.:heart: :kiss:

Dear Peg, Thank you, I know life is not good for you at the moment, and that`s what makes you so special, that you still find time for others. :kiss: :heart:

Ok, question. This little episode has confused both my wife and myself, I am having a bit of a hard time putting into words how this stuff makes you feel. It is also confusing for her, that one minute I am practically useless and yet the moment I walk in the front door I am more or less back to my old self. Confusing and embarrassing for me too.

So can any one who has a bit more experience with this share some insight, if it is not to painfull.
I suppose I could go out and try and gain some more experience but I am somewhat reluctant. ;)

quoll said:
Ok, question. This little episode has confused both my wife and myself, I am having a bit of a hard time putting into words how this stuff makes you feel. It is also confusing for her, that one minute I am practically useless and yet the moment I walk in the front door I am more or less back to my old self. Confusing and embarrassing for me too.

So can any one who has a bit more experience with this share some insight, if it is not to painfull.
I suppose I could go out and try and gain some more experience but I am somewhat reluctant. ;)
My ex and oldest daughter ( she still does sometimes, but has greater control and knows how to deal with hers ) has/had them.
He would have heart palpitations, sweats, nervousness,nausea, and in most cases could be standing there listening to someone and go completely blank inside, fade to black and not hear a word said until the attack passed. Also, you may wish to check into phobias. Possibly agoraphobia or something similar.
Seems the wee one is heading this way. *sigh*

Thanks Skye, surprisingly you were not the only one to suggest this, (thanks ) I straight away thought nah not me, then did what i usually do, research, and now I am thinking yup, had that most of my life, just never as bad as the other day, perhaps because I didn`t have time to create an out.
Anyway I found this little snippet very interesting.

WHAT IS AGORAPHOBIA

The term agoraphobia has been widely misunderstood. Its literal definition suggests a fear of "open spaces". However, this is an incomplete and misleading view. Agoraphobics are not necessarily afraid of open spaces. Rather, they are afraid of having panicky feelings, wherever. these fearful feelings may occur. For many, they happen at home, in houses of worship, or in crowded supermarkets, places that are certainly not "open".

In fact, agoraphobia is a condition which develops when a person begins to avoid spaces or situations associated with anxiety. Typical "phobic situations" might include driving, shopping, crowded places, traveling, standing in line, being alone, meetings and social gatherings.

Agoraphobia arises; from an internal anxiety condition that has become so intense that the suffering individual fears going anywhere or doing anything where these feelings of panic have repeatedly occurred before. Once the panic attacks have started, these episodes become the ongoing stress, even when other more obvious pressures have diminished. This sets up a "feedback condition" which generally leads to increased numbers of panic attacks and, for some people, an increase in the situations or events which can produce panicky feelings. Others experience fearful feelings continuously, more a feeling of overall. discomfort, rather than panic.

A person may fear having anxiety attacks, "losing control", or embarrassing him/herself in such situations. Many people remain in a painful state of anxious anticipation because of these fears. Some become restricted or "housebound" while others function "normally" but with great difficulty, often attempting to hide their discomfort.

Agoraphobia, then, is both a severe anxiety condition and a phobia, as well as a pattern of avoidant behavior.

Does anyone else have this: ?

I usually can feel periods of depression coming? Right now I know that the depression is lurking and slowly coming towards me. And I know that it will soon hit again, I'm gonna spend a night or two crying and then it'll be okay again. Are you guys as well able to 'see it coming'?

Snoopy

SnoopDog said:

I usually can feel periods of depression coming? Right now I know that the depression is lurking and slowly coming towards me. And I know that it will soon hit again, I'm gonna spend a night or two crying and then it'll be okay again. Are you guys as well able to 'see it coming'?

Snoopy
Yeppers. It's getting to where I feel it coming all the time now. And this last time was soooooo bad. Quoll walked me though, talked to me, reassured me and let me know everything would be ok. I love he and his wife very dearly. A great team that one. :D

quoll said:
Thanks Skye, surprisingly you were not the only one to suggest this, (thanks ) I straight away thought nah not me, then did what i usually do, research, and now I am thinking yup, had that most of my life, just never as bad as the other day, perhaps because I didn`t have time to create an out.
Anyway I found this little snippet very interesting.

WHAT IS AGORAPHOBIA

The term agoraphobia has been widely misunderstood. Its literal definition suggests a fear of "open spaces". However, this is an incomplete and misleading view. Agoraphobics are not necessarily afraid of open spaces. Rather, they are afraid of having panicky feelings, wherever. these fearful feelings may occur. For many, they happen at home, in houses of worship, or in crowded supermarkets, places that are certainly not "open".

In fact, agoraphobia is a condition which develops when a person begins to avoid spaces or situations associated with anxiety. Typical "phobic situations" might include driving, shopping, crowded places, traveling, standing in line, being alone, meetings and social gatherings.

Agoraphobia arises; from an internal anxiety condition that has become so intense that the suffering individual fears going anywhere or doing anything where these feelings of panic have repeatedly occurred before. Once the panic attacks have started, these episodes become the ongoing stress, even when other more obvious pressures have diminished. This sets up a "feedback condition" which generally leads to increased numbers of panic attacks and, for some people, an increase in the situations or events which can produce panicky feelings. Others experience fearful feelings continuously, more a feeling of overall. discomfort, rather than panic.

A person may fear having anxiety attacks, "losing control", or embarrassing him/herself in such situations. Many people remain in a painful state of anxious anticipation because of these fears. Some become restricted or "housebound" while others function "normally" but with great difficulty, often attempting to hide their discomfort.

Agoraphobia, then, is both a severe anxiety condition and a phobia, as well as a pattern of avoidant behavior.
Working through this one takes baby steps. Lots of them. When I get the chance, i will explain in IM how it came to be for some people I know. I hope I can help.:rose:

SnoopDog said:

Snoopy

Yeppers.What the little lady ^ ^ ^ ^ said.
Sometimes when you know it`s coming you can work like hell to fight it off, get busy with something, anything that holds your interest, (yeah I know that`s part of the problem.) They don`t call it the creeping darkness for nothing. If you have a loved one a trusted friend grab on as best you can.
If you`ve got no one PM me or a friend on Lit, whatever you do call out for help, this thing is a lot easier shared.

VermilionSkye said:
Working through this one takes baby steps. Lots of them. When I get the chance, i will explain in IM how it came to be for some people I know. I hope I can help.:rose:

Oooh you`ve just been itching to turn the tables haven`t you.
Bring it on Babe.:heart: :heart: :kiss: :kiss:

SnoopDog said:

Snoopy

When I was depressed I could usually feel it coming on, yes. I remember feeling myself "slowly sinking"...heading into a place that only I was in - nobody else could get in so to speak. It's interesting to try and describe... This usually happened at night after dinner for me and then the next day I'd usually be having all sorts of thoughts thrashing around in my head and discussions with my husband about it all. :(

This is just a thought, but perhaps it is a positive thing that you can see it coming...that way it doesn't "sneak" up on you.......

:heart: :heart:

SnoopDog said:

Snoopy

Yes Snoop... I usually can tell when it's coming.
I feel like I'm sinking... or being surrounded by darkness... or like I'm being drawn down a dark hole... and it feels so lonely. It's so hard to describe... I've tried and no one I'm close to can even come close to understanding how I feel. THAT is a lonely feeling in itself. :rolleyes:

babydoll2u said:
Yes Snoop... I usually can tell when it's coming.
I feel like I'm sinking... or being surrounded by darkness... or like I'm being drawn down a dark hole... and it feels so lonely. It's so hard to describe... I've tried and no one I'm close to can even come close to understanding how I feel. THAT is a lonely feeling in itself. :rolleyes:

Yep, other people just can't understand what it feels like. And I don't mean they don't want to, they just CANNOT !

And that truly is the loneliest feeling in itself, well said.

Snoopy

I definitely feel my depressions coming on before they hit full-force. It's sort of a feeling of dread - and this is usually when my anxiety runs at its highest levels (fuelling the fire to bring my depression on even worse).

Quoll, I'm sorry to hear that you had your first full-blown anxiety attack. They're definitely not a fun thing to have to live with. But thank the gods that you had your wonderful wife there with you to pull you through.

I get anxiety attacks all the time. It started out when I was really young - my parents used to just brush it off as shyness or introversion. I hated (and still hate) going to any sort of show or event where there might be audience involvement. Public speaking is virtually impossible. Over the years, it progressed to such a point where I frequently get panic attacks just when I'm going to hang out with close friends for an evening.

I've done Paxil and Prozac before and, though they worked to some degree, I found the side effects to be too much for me. I'm currently researching other types of meds that will tackle both anxiety and depression - trying to work myself up to calling my doctor again (it's been over a year now). Ideally I'd go see a psychiatrist - I know it'd help, but I've also got this fear of crying in front of other people, doctors or otherwise. If anyone has any tips for overcoming my irrational fears of making an appointment with a psychiatrist, I'd love to hear them - send me a PM.

To everyone else out there who's struggling... :rose:

Lynxie said:
I definitely feel my depressions coming on before they hit full-force. It's sort of a feeling of dread - and this is usually when my anxiety runs at its highest levels (fuelling the fire to bring my depression on even worse).

Quoll, I'm sorry to hear that you had your first full-blown anxiety attack. They're definitely not a fun thing to have to live with. But thank the gods that you had your wonderful wife there with you to pull you through.

I get anxiety attacks all the time. It started out when I was really young - my parents used to just brush it off as shyness or introversion. I hated (and still hate) going to any sort of show or event where there might be audience involvement. Public speaking is virtually impossible. Over the years, it progressed to such a point where I frequently get panic attacks just when I'm going to hang out with close friends for an evening.

I've done Paxil and Prozac before and, though they worked to some degree, I found the side effects to be too much for me. I'm currently researching other types of meds that will tackle both anxiety and depression - trying to work myself up to calling my doctor again (it's been over a year now). Ideally I'd go see a psychiatrist - I know it'd help, but I've also got this fear of crying in front of other people, doctors or otherwise. If anyone has any tips for overcoming my irrational fears of making an appointment with a psychiatrist, I'd love to hear them - send me a PM.

To everyone else out there who's struggling... :rose:

It is so hard to explain to people that do not have these problems, how you feel when these things happen to you, they just give you a blank look.
Or my favourites, "You just need to get over it." or "You`ll feel better tomorrow"
Don`t you think if I could get over it I bloody well would, who in their right mind ;) would willingly go through any of this.
And no I probably wont feel better tomorrow thank you.

Lynxie you must have amazing strength to live with those sort of attacks all your life.
I too was labeled shy/introverted. I have fears/anxiety about most of the things you mentioned.
Fortunately for me Zoloft works well, with no major side effects apart from headaches for the first two weeks.
I have been feeling very good for the last couple of days, but then again I haven`t been put in any bad situations.

Trying to overcome irrational fears is a tough one, it took me over twenty years just to get my car licence.
Funny thing is, if a friend is in trouble I can react without thinking, and do things I would normally not do.
I wish you all the best, and hope somehow you can gather the courage to do what you have to do.

:rose:

quoll said:
It is so hard to explain to people that do not have these problems, how you feel when these things happen to you, they just give you a blank look.
Or my favourites, "You just need to get over it." or "You`ll feel better tomorrow"
Don`t you think if I could get over it I bloody well would, who in their right mind ;) would willingly go through any of this.
And no I probably wont feel better tomorrow thank you.

Fortunately for me Zoloft works well, with no major side effects apart from headaches for the first two weeks.
I have been feeling very good for the last couple of days, but then again I haven`t been put in any bad situations.

It is really interesting to find this thread - as one of the most outstanding things about the diseases is a lack of capacity to reach out and share how you feel with others - because of the reaction you describe above "you'll get through it" "pull yourself together" etc etc

My anxiety attacks at one stage manifested themselves as replicating heart attacks - the pain was indescribable - luckily I had a GP who was prepared to listen and investigate (there is a history of heat disease in my family)....the scariest part of all the process I went through over quite a number of years was that once I had identified how to tell the difference between a panic and a real - my brain switched gear and decided to "panic" in quite different ways.

Meds worked for a while but after having an appalling adverse drug reaction - I am now coping without. I have to rely on the self talk skills that I have developed over the years and ride the roughest patches out.

The best piece of self talk I can offer...."I have came out the other side before and I have been ok...I will be again...this will pass!"

And as for the hairdresser experience......surrendering yourself to someone else's care combined with the effect of water is a very sensual and relaxing experience - a good hairdresser who gives face and scalp massages is a treasure worth preserving! Enjoy as often as you can!

Meds worked for a while but after having an appalling adverse drug reaction - I am now coping without. I have to rely on the self talk skills that I have developed over the years and ride the roughest patches out.

The best piece of self talk I can offer...."I have came out the other side before and I have been ok...I will be again...this will pass!"

And as for the hairdresser experience......surrendering yourself to someone else's care combined with the effect of water is a very sensual and relaxing experience - a good hairdresser who gives face and scalp massages is a treasure worth preserving! Enjoy as often as you can! [/B]

At the moment the thought of no meds worries me, probably because they have been so successful, but I guess, should that day come I can take comfort in the fact that there are others surviving without them.

Your self talk is very similar to mine. "Everything has to finish, I just have to wait until this one finishes"

".surrendering yourself to someone else's care"
Perfect. There are three places I can go without a single bit of anxiety, The hairdresser, The chiropractor and The masseuse.;)
Thanks. :rose:

australwind said:
<snip>
My anxiety attacks at one stage manifested themselves as replicating heart attacks - the pain was indescribable - luckily I had a GP who was prepared to listen and investigate (there is a history of heat disease in my family)....the scariest part of all the process I went through over quite a number of years was that once I had identified how to tell the difference between a panic and a real - my brain switched gear and decided to "panic" in quite different ways.
<snip>

OMG... I had the same problem with my asthma. Numerous times I'd go into a panic or anxiety attack and it manifested itself as an asthma attack.... i.e. heavy chest, feeling like my lungs are closing up/constricting, sweats, shaking, feels like things are closing in around me and a long dark tunnel is all I can see... close to blacking out altogether.

while i'm not glad you've gone through this, I am glad there is someone else who understands! and I'm on prozac now, for about 5 years now, with very few side affects at all. It's worked wonders for both my depression and panic/anxiety attacks.

Still have them, no doubt, but not nearly to the extent that I used to. Now my big problem is insomnia... and it inevitably leads to depression. *sigh* or is the result of it.

Back