Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
Og, I found the information on the skeletal remains of those early archers quite interesting. Yet another thing a person never really thinks about much, the strength and endurance required to be an archer. Robin Hood and his Merrymen in Hollywood movies make it look so easy. LOL

repristinate - vt to restore to an original state or condition

Og, I found the information on the skeletal remains of those early archers quite interesting. Yet another thing a person never really thinks about much, the strength and endurance required to be an archer. Robin Hood and his Merrymen in Hollywood movies make it look so easy. LOL

repristinate - vt to restore to an original state or condition

Movie versions make everything look easy. Professional archers also make archery look easy but it takes years of practice, as with most sports.

Repristinate? That is an antique dealer's trick and really means faking.

Conservation is what should be done; restoration if the item has deteriorated too far.

Repristinate is like restoring virginity. It can't be done but a semblance of virginity can be produced.

Collectors' toys such as Dinky Toys can be repainted and provided with a replica box. If the seller admits that has been done, OK, but the value would not be as much as a genuine pristine item in an original box.

Once, as a bookdealer, I practised repristination. I had a battered Victorian Family Bible, that was pulpit sized. Its value was about 30 pounds in its battered condition. I was asked to provide an auction item for our local RNLI (lifeboat) branch.

I cleaned the leather and then used black shoe polish on it. I polished the leather boards, applied more shoe polish, polished again.The gilded titles had faded or had been scratched. I renewed them with a gold-coloured felt tip pen. I repaired the joints between the leather boards and the text with carpet tape, covering what I had done with old paper from a tatty unused Victorian account book. Then I used the gold pen to brighten the gilded page edges.

I typed a note stating everything that I had done. The Bible had been repristinated. It looked as if it was a year or two old instead of 120. But it still had no real value. If anything I had REDUCED its value by repristination but it looked wonderful.

At the auction my statement was read out and bids invited for the Bible. It sold for 98 pounds all of which went to the lifeboats.

I'm still ashamed of myself...

Last edited:
Don't be too hard on yourself, Og, I am sure the person who bought it appreciated its repristinated state. I know I would have. Old is great, but repaired is also acceptable.

reprise(2) - vt 1. archaic: to take back, esp. to recover by force 2. archaic: COMPENSATE 3. to repeat the performance of (~ a song)

Don't be too hard on yourself, Og, I am sure the person who bought it appreciated its repristinated state. I know I would have. Old is great, but repaired is also acceptable.

Repaired? Perhaps. Conserved? Better. Repristinated? Unprofessional. :(

What made my offence worse was that the person who bought the Bible was (and is) a friend and doesn't appreciate that I had reduced the value. It has a prominent place in his living room. I shudder every time I see it.

Last edited:
Ok, Og, I have to agree with you on this one. Funny, how our most obvious mistakes come back to haunt us...

reprehensible - adj CULPABLE

Just for once I can't agree with a definition. I know, I know, must have got out of bed the wrong side. I think of 'reprehensible' as 'meriting a charge of being culpable'. And it usually refers then to the deed, not the person committing the deed.

P

Actually, Patrick the full definition said "worthy of or deserving reprehension: CULPABLE, which is one of those circular definitions I dislike.

reprehension - noun the act of reprehending: REPROOF

reprehend - vt to voice disapproval of: CENSURE

This is a word I don't hear very often;

reposit - vt 1. DEPOSIT, STORE 2. to put back in place: REPLACE

<<THE days of taking a charabanc to the aerodrome are gone forever, according to dictionary compilers. >>

It seems these words have vanished from use. Here are further details of words consigned to the scrapheap: http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/Charabancs-driven-into-history-as.6822746.jp

I was particularly alarmed to see 'charabanc' characterised as a word that has fallen into disuse. My Mum and Dad used it, especially in its abbreviated form, reminiscing about the early days of motor coaches, in the 20's and 30's, when it was common for a community or group to organise together a day-trip 'chara' from Leeds (my original home town) to Scarborough, Whitby or Robin Hood's Bay on the North Sea coast.

P

macron • n., from the Greek μακρόν (makrón), meaning "long", is a diacritic placed above a vowel (and, more rarely, under or above a consonant). It was originally used to mark a long or heavy syllable in Greco-Roman metrics, but now marks a long vowel. In the International Phonetic Alphabet the macron is used to indicate mid tone; the sign for a long vowel is a modified triangular colon ‹ː›.

The opposite is the breve ‹˘›, which marks a short or light syllable or a short vowel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macron

Good day, everyone, I am returned from a weekend trip to Santa Cruz. It was foggy and misty for my stay this time, but the beach is still marvelous.

replevin - noun 1. the recovery by a person of goods or chattels claimed to be wrongfully taken or detained upon the person's giving security to try the matter in court and return the goods if defeated in the action 2. the writ or the common-law action whereby goods and chattels are replevied

Here is a word I thought I knew the definition of, but I found "that ain't necessarily so";

replete - adj 1. fully or abundantly provided 2.a. FILLED b. abundantly fed: GORGED c. FAT, STOUT 3. COMPLETE

If I have postEd this one before, please excuse me;

repine - verb 1. to feel or express dejection or discontent: complain 2. to wish discontentedly

Ok, Og, I have to agree with you on this one. Funny, how our most obvious mistakes come back to haunt us...

reprehensible - adj CULPABLE

I suspect you've found one of the subtle differences in our Enlish:-

reprehensible
ppl stem of reprehendere: see prec., -IBLE.]
Deserving of reprehension, censure, or rebuke; reprovable; blameworthy.

---------------------------------------------------------
Excerpted from Oxford Talking Dictionary
Copyright © 1998 The Learning Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Yes, Handley, I do see the subtle differences in the way we use English and find it very interesting. I did not know the second entry definition of this word;

repent(2) - adj CREEPING, PROSTRATE

When I take the time to use the Search This Thread option to find out if I or anyone else has posted a word before, I am amazed how easy it is and wonder why I do not do it more often, instead of just hoping I have not. If I am in, what I think, is a hurry, it becomes the excuse I use for not being more diligent in my duties, as caretaker of this rather-long thread. I am so glad Lit has this feature available.

repartee - noun 1.a. a quick and witty reply b. a succession of clever retorts 2. adroitness and cleverness in reply

Good day, everyone. How about this one;

rensselaerite - noun [Stephen Van Rensselaer, 1839 American Army officer] a soft compact talc often worked in a lathe into articles (as inkstands)

repartee - noun 1.a. a quick and witty reply b. a succession of clever retorts 2. adroitness and cleverness in reply

See entry 976: Riposte.

It's an interesting comparison of words for the same sort of thing. Is a riposte part of witty repartee ?

I really don't know, Handley, but it is a good question. I liked the word adroitness in the definition, though.

Now that I am in this thread, I cannot check to see if I have posted this next word before. That is a drawback.

renitent - adj 1. resisting pressure 2. resisting constraint or compulsion: RECALITRANT

See entry 976: Riposte.

It's an interesting comparison of words for the same sort of thing. Is a riposte part of witty repartee ?

My understanding of repartee is that it is like a game of tennis: two people serving to and scoring hits off each other. Question Time in the House of Commons, at its best, can be repartee. I think that Oscar Wilde, Noel Coward, Bernard Shaw and Winston Churchill were exponents of repartee. All of them needed good foils to show at their best.

I think that a riposte is either one response in repartee, or like an ace served in tennis, is unreturnable e.g. (apocryphal)

Bessie Braddock: Winston, you are drunk.
Churchill: Bessie, you are ugly. In the morning I'll be sober.

Perfectly put, Og, thanks, now I understand better. These two definitions seem contrary, though.

rencontre or rencounter - noun 1. a hostile meeting or a contest between forces or individuals: COMBAT 2. a casual meeting

rencontre or rencounter - noun 1. a hostile meeting or a contest between forces or individuals: COMBAT 2. a casual meeting

The connection is probably through the original French. My Webster's Collegiate, 5th Edition, (Are you paying attention, sr71plt?) points out that the Old French form of the French word rencontrer was encontrer. The latter word also became, more directly, our current English word "encounter". While this English word still retains the meaning of (unexpectedly) experiencing or being faced with something difficult or hostile, it also means meeting someone unexpectedly...or casually. It is probably most commonly used in ordinary English in the latter sense. Thousands, I suspect, of the stories on Lit. deal with sexual encounters in this sense.

May I ask a question about some of the more recent additions to this fascinating thread?

replevin - noun
1. the recovery by a person of goods or chattels claimed to be wrongfully taken or detained upon the person's giving security to try the matter in court and return the goods if defeated in the action
2. the writ or the common-law action whereby goods and chattels are replevied

replevin /rplevn/ n. LME. [AN = OFr. replevir recover: see REPLEVY v.] Law.
1 The provisional restoration to, or recovery by, the owner of goods invalidly distrained, on his or her giving security to have the matter tried in court and to abide by the court's decision. LME. b Conditional release of a prisoner under a writ of mainprize. .
2 A writ empowering a person to recover his or her goods by replevin.
3 An action for recovering distrained goods by replevin. E16.

How does one use this word? Is the action of the goods' recovery a replevin ?

adroit /drt/ a. M17. [(O)Fr., f. adv. phr. a droit; according to right, properly.]
Physically or mentally resourceful; dexterous, skilful.adroitly adv. M18. adroitness n. M18.

[I believe it stems from the French a droit, 'at right']

adroit adjective
1. his adroit handling of the boat|adroit at tennis skilful, skilled, expert, adept, dexterous, deft, clever, able, capable, competent, masterly, proficient.
2. an adroit politician skilful, expert, adept, clever, quick-thinking, quick-witted, cunning, artful, resourceful, astute, shrewd.

May I ask a question about some of the more recent additions to this fascinating thread?

replevin - noun
1. the recovery by a person of goods or chattels claimed to be wrongfully taken or detained upon the person's giving security to try the matter in court and return the goods if defeated in the action
2. the writ or the common-law action whereby goods and chattels are replevied

replevin /rplevn/ n. LME. [AN = OFr. replevir recover: see REPLEVY v.] Law.
1 The provisional restoration to, or recovery by, the owner of goods invalidly distrained, on his or her giving security to have the matter tried in court and to abide by the court's decision. LME. b Conditional release of a prisoner under a writ of mainprize. .
2 A writ empowering a person to recover his or her goods by replevin.
3 An action for recovering distrained goods by replevin. E16.

How does one use this word? Is the action of the goods' recovery a replevin ?

HP-
Under U.S. law, replevin is an action taken to recover goods wrongfully taken, where damages are not satisfactory. For example, a secured creditor may be granted a writ of replevin by a court requiring the debtor to deliver the collateral in the absence of monetary satisfaction ( i.e., where the debtor has defaulted ).

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back