PMS Help!

at 35 yrs of age, and having already had 273 periods (yes, i calculated it, minus my 3 pregnancies!) - i have come to the realization that there is absolutely NOTHING that fixes my PMS.
accordingly, i have put some pain management procedures in place (for the rest of my family, not me!)

1. i note my PMS trouble time on the calendar in huge red texta, so if they miss it, too bad!

2. i have embraced my 'inner bitch', and now direct my energies towards things like making the kids tidy their rooms, getting S/O to do the lawns, and getting all those other horrid jobs done (i mean, really, who's going to stand against me at this time? lol)

3. if there's something i have been putting off complaining about for a while, then this is my perfect time to get results! many an inspirational, slightly caustic letter has been sent during these days! and god help any retail assistant who doesn't give me totally perfect one-to-one service!

4. oven cleaning.

5. shopping! like my S/O is going to complain about a few measly fucking dollars for a pair of to-die-for shoes, right?!!! and ABSOLUTELY, i HAD to have the pair of garnet earings to match!! for crying out loud, don't you know ANYTHING about fashion???...

6. added bonus - everyone in my home knows not to piss me off, so i get plenty of 'me' time.

7. RULES OF PMS
a) no.
b) quiet.
c) don't even think about it.
d) if you come near me and you're not perfectly polite and accomodating, then you deserve it.
e) all house members will be granted a genuinely caring audience of 2.7 minutes each morning, after that, you're all fair game.
 
wow I learned my something new for the day! Thanks entitled! Like I said my mother started me on it and her mother on her and so on. We had this little stoneware canister that sat atop the spice rack in our kitchen that held the leaves and other herbs that made the tea. I'd always just ignored it, but my brother one year decided to clean the house for my mom as a mothers day gift and after stumbling upon the canister dumped out it's contents and replaced them with some very expensive tea-bags from this catalog he had. We didn't find out until about three weeks later when all three women in the house started PMS at the same time!! Since that " hell week" as my brother affectionatly calls it he has stayed clear of any unlabled containers in my mothers kitchen.:D
 
I have to agree with lilpriss in that I've noticed that a change in my diet has had a huge affect on my PMS.....both the emotional and physical symptoms. I have severe endo and along with the horrible pain, I become a extremely sensitive and bitchy, alternating between crying and yelling. I've been on the Atkins diet for a few months and, not only are my periods more regular, but the PMS seems much more mild. Not gone, but manageable at least. I have no idea why diet would effect the emotional aspect of it, but hey as long as it's a positive change, I won't question it too much.

Good luck, sheath
 
warrior queen said:
7. RULES OF PMS
a) no.
b) quiet.
c) don't even think about it.
d) if you come near me and you're not perfectly polite and accomodating, then you deserve it.
e) all house members will be granted a genuinely caring audience of 2.7 minutes each morning, after that, you're all fair game.


LMAO!

Wow. What advice! I'm working through it slowly. :) I think I'm going to have some bloodwork done, to rule out the chance of anemia and such, and then speak with my doctor about the severity of my emotional symptoms.

In the meantime, vitamin supplements won't hurt, and I'll try working through different ideas every month. Trial and error, and I'll see what happens. :)

I'm also keeping a pretty detailed journal of my ups and downs, the food I eat during that time, etc, etc. It might be useful later.

Thank you all! :rose:

S.
 
FrustratedTeenF said:
There's always the traditional cure-all that is chocolate.

This's actually good advice...chocolate, aside from tasting good, offers some sugar & caffeine that can perk your energy levels AND releases chemicals in the brain almost identical to those released by feelings of love early in a relationship, so it can help balance you mentally

I've had a few gf's and an LTR or 2 with women who had severe PMS issues and it can be HELL
You're relatively lucky you only have about a 3-day window, my Evil Ex would typically spend up to a week going from weepy to paranoid to accusatory to throwing things and kicking the cats to weepy again

I would reccomend against prescriptions unless it gets REAL bad, but yoga or meditation or martial arts (especially easier forms like Tai Chi) can sometimes help calm & focus you to help you stay centered emotionally thru it :D
 
Wow...

It is amazing the things you learn here! I have the same problem and it has only gotten worse with age. Before I had kids my husband told me he couldn't even tell I was PMSing. Now, he stays away-heehee. I have no recommendations but you got a lot of great ones that I think I am gonna try. Glad I'm not alone.lol
 
I have noticed that the change of diet for me helped immensely, but I wouldn't do that without first making sure that you have a good physical.

The other thing is that it really is different things for different women that works.
 
for one week a month for 15 years minus pregnancy my role in the house was to walk on eggshells (crunch, crunch) and fantasizing about a week on my own deserted island and then during a routine checkup she discovered her thyroid wasn't working right. A little medication and I have a new woman in the house every month and eggs are nothing more than a memory.
 
My PMS varies with my hormonal aging and stress levels. What may sometimes be one day of bitchiness can occasionally be 4 or 5, depending (on the above factors). My main relief is to get busy doing physical things, which exhaust and relax me, and also to bite my tongue HARD. Sorry for my man if he happens to get grumpy during my "moments", as he then bears my wrath full force. He can tell my body's anticipation of nature before me all the time. What really pisses me off: I used to start my period each fourth Sunday morning (even after having kids, etc.), and now it comes anywhere between 25 and 32 days apart. Sometimes crampy or clotty or heavy; they tell me it is called perimenopause. Uh, lets just get it over with, already.

Didn't read the whole thread, but are you planning to have more children after your marriage, Sheath?

Hugs,
Wantonica:rose:
 
PinkOrchid said:
Sheath,

Found this in someone's sig line and thought you'd appreciate it:

PMS is a hormonally driven urge to act like men act all the time.
--PoliteSuccubus

LMAO!

Oh, I love that! :D

Wantonica: Yes, my man and I do plan to have at least one child together. I have two from a previous marriage.

I'm wondering. Did your symptoms change after having children? I have thought about it, and gone over my journals from years back, and I think my PMS has gotten worse since the birth of my last child. I'm wondering, in light of your question, if having a child can change the effects of PMS?

:rose:

S.
 
jeepman6 said:
for one week a month for 15 years minus pregnancy my role in the house was to walk on eggshells (crunch, crunch) and fantasizing about a week on my own deserted island and then during a routine checkup she discovered her thyroid wasn't working right. A little medication and I have a new woman in the house every month and eggs are nothing more than a memory.

Jeepman...good point, about the thyroid. I knew that could cause all sorts of problems. In my case, I have had my thyroid checked for other medical reasons, and everything falls within a range of normal. But still, it's something I will ask to have done again...it's been about a year since I had it checked, so it's time anyway. :)

Thanks for that. Yet another thing to add to my list!

S.
 
It never hurts to be too safe when it cmes to your medical condition. Why take a chance? And if going to the doctors can give you some relief, tehn I'm all for it.
 
sheath said:
I'm wondering. Did your symptoms change after having children? I have thought about it, and gone over my journals from years back, and I think my PMS has gotten worse since the birth of my last child. I'm wondering, in light of your question, if having a child can change the effects of PMS?
Absolutely, positively, yes!
 
sheath said:
Wantonica: Yes, my man and I do plan to have at least one child together. I have two from a previous marriage.

I'm wondering. Did your symptoms change after having children? I have thought about it, and gone over my journals from years back, and I think my PMS has gotten worse since the birth of my last child. I'm wondering, in light of your question, if having a child can change the effects of PMS?

:rose:

S.

Sorry for the delay, have been gone for a bit. For most of my life, the symptoms changed only during my short time on the Pill (shorter, lighter). I have had my tubes tied now for 15 years, and until a few years ago, the only variation was several years of sore breasts. Other than that, I was still on a regular cycle, same number of days, not so bad. Then, I began having short cycles, long cycles, heavy, light, starting without warning, etc. For the past two months, I am back on the 28 day schedule, but cramps and backaches kill me! Also, one month thick, the next one thin and having to change personals every couple of hours... it is all too unpredictable.

I'm so glad to hear you plan to have a child with your man... I sincerely regret we will never have that chance in my current situation. I'm sure we would have created an adorable youngin'. We did talk about taking his sperm and my egg and having insemination done, but sheesh, we are past that point in our lives. We are still young enough, but grandkids will be coming on soon!

Hugs,
Wantonica:rose:
 
I know this thread is extremely old, but I thought I could share my experience and maybe help someone out.

For the record, I've always had regular periods, and up until I had children, no major PMS symptoms. After my second child, I had my tubes tied, and within 6 months, noticed that my cycles were affecting my life in a major way.

My insomnia became worse. This is something I've battled regularly since I was a teen. I had it under control for a while with diet and exercise, but it came back full blown, and nothing helped.

My moods, anxiety, and depression/disinterest all increased the week before my period and would last through my period. I was angry/stressed all of the time those two weeks, and had no interest in anything, even my children, which terrified me to no end. I also had horrible headaches and other less than desirable physical reactions from the stress. I tried St. John's Wort, and the B-vitamins with no luck.

I finally talked to my OB, and she diagnosed me with PMDD. She put me on a low dose of Zoloft (25mg) and it helped take the edge off of everything. I quit taking it after 2 years, and within 3 months, the same rage that filled me before was back. I am now back on Zoloft, which I do not enjoy taking a prescription medication every day, but for my own sanity, I need it.
 
Antidepressants may help. You could have PMDD, which is a bad form of PMS. There are some teas that are supposed to help with mood. Go to the natural food store and ask, or Google. Homeopathic stuff may help too.
 
Back
Top