Newbie Question RE: Comments Versus Private Feedback

Oh, that's another question I have, probably for another thread. I'm interested in fellow authors' policies regarding comments. Being new, I'm happy for the few comments I have, but I can understand how unpleasant it would be to have an unnecessarily nasty comment appear. I've noticed people leaving negative comments on other stories because they think it's in the wrong category, or they'll leave a positive comment but then venture off into a wildly inappropriate fantasy or supposed experience they've had. So do a lot of writers just let those comments stand?
I leave all the comments. The weird ones are interesting in and of themselves. Something for your readers who read comments to giggle about. As for the negative ones, many times another commenter will come along and say ignore an earlier negative comment. But I've never gotten a really nasty comment.

Sometimes you get negative comments because your writing sucks. Or your premise sucks. This was a comment on my very first story:
piss poor spelling and editing ruin the story
you really need to edit your stories PROPERLY you have way too many wrong words used, they're spelled correct but are the wrong ones like checks instead of cheeks. a GOOD WRITER would have used a GOOD EDITOR before posting. i suggest you delete all stories and run them through a GOOD EDITOR then repost them, unless you enjoy pissing off the readers and getting slammed for bad spelling and poor editing.
And you know what? The commenter was right. When I look back at that story, the premise was good but the writing was awful. The other commenters were being too nice by not pointing out I needed to improve my basic writing skills. But I studied up on writing, kept writing and did improve my basic writing skills.

I leave all the comments. The weird ones are interesting in and of themselves. Something for your readers who read comments to giggle about. As for the negative ones, many times another commenter will come along and say ignore an earlier negative comment. But I've never gotten a really nasty comment.

Sometimes you get negative comments because your writing sucks. Or your premise sucks. This was a comment on my very first story:

And you know what? The commenter was right. When I look back at that story, the premise was good but the writing was awful. The other commenters were being too nice by not pointing out I needed to improve my basic writing skills. But I studied up on writing, kept writing and did improve my basic writing skills.

The first two comments I received here were positive but contained constructive criticism, which I'm more than happy to leave. I'm not for censorship, but I can understand those who get a really nasty comment deleting it. In the one case I mentioned before, the commenter was pissed because (s)he thought the story was in the wrong category. And it wasn't a "hey, I think this is in the wrong category." It was pretty nasty and unhelpful. Granted, other readers chimed in to disagree, but being a new writer here, it made me a little paranoid about which categories I choose.

The first two comments I received here were positive but contained constructive criticism, which I'm more than happy to leave. I'm not for censorship, but I can understand those who get a really nasty comment deleting it. In the one case I mentioned before, the commenter was pissed because (s)he thought the story was in the wrong category. And it wasn't a "hey, I think this is in the wrong category." It was pretty nasty and unhelpful. Granted, other readers chimed in to disagree, but being a new writer here, it made me a little paranoid about which categories I choose.
My impression is that every category has its quirks, its unwritten rules. You apparently broke at least one of those rules. And that can be fine if you intended to do so; if by breaking the rule you write a better story. I've done so. So I'd suggesting using the comment as a learning of the ropes for that category.

My impression is that every category has its quirks, its unwritten rules. You apparently broke at least one of those rules. And that can be fine if you intended to do so; if by breaking the rule you write a better story. I've done so. So I'd suggesting using the comment as a learning of the ropes for that category.

Actually, I didn't receive that comment--someone else did. I thought the category the person chose was correct, as did a lot of other people. So far, no one's had a problem with the categories I've selected. (Again, I'm probably jinxing myself.) But if someone does think that I've miscategorized a story and has a good explanation as to why, I'd be happy for that feedback so I can use it in choosing a category for future writing.

Put me firmly in the amateur category, then, because I know there's no way in hell I'll ever make a living from my writing. It sure is a fun way to pass the time, though.

I don't make a living from my writing, either. I was in the intelligence services for twenty-seven years and retired early (danger pay) with an excellent annuity and debt free. All part of the plan to get on with it in writing and editing. Made pretty good on-top-of-the-annuity money in book editing and working in publishing houses in a second career. The money from writing has just been gravy on top of the rest and was never something I had to count on to pay the bills. That makes the writing easier. There's no "have to" involved in it in this phase.

Back