The Construction Thread

My FIL was a high steel welder and fell to his death from the bottom bowl of a water tower in Abilene, Texas in 1961. My husband was 8 and was in gym class at school. He was standing on 2nd base when he saw 2 things fall from the tower. One of them was a huge metal strap, the other was his dad. He said he knew it was his dad before anyone even told him.

This was his dad's 3rd fall.

What happened? Scaffold collapse?

:rose:

I live in Colorado. There are many here that speak English as a second language, and many of those are in the construction trades. While working on a major drug manufacturing plant in Northern Colorado, I started looking at the warning signs and noticed something was different. All the signs were in Spanish.

Having been born here, I have been exposed to my share of Spanish. The important things I needed to know on the job site, like how to tell somebody to suck my dick in Spanish, I had learned by my second week. The dangers signs were another story. How was I to know where to Salida the building? :confused:

Has the time come where we need signs in multiple languages on the job site? Am I at risk because "don't fucking do that" got lost in translation with half of the work force?

Putos!

I live in Colorado. There are many here that speak English as a second language, and many of those are in the construction trades. While working on a major drug manufacturing plant in Northern Colorado, I started looking at the warning signs and noticed something was different. All the signs were in Spanish.

Having been born here, I have been exposed to my share of Spanish. The important things I needed to know on the job site, like how to tell somebody to suck my dick in Spanish, I had learned by my second week. The dangers signs were another story. How was I to know where to Salida the building? :confused:

Has the time come where we need signs in multiple languages on the job site? Am I at risk because "don't fucking do that" got lost in translation with half of the work force?

Putos!

My jobsite spanish was getting really sharp. Then I got a book and lost it all.

Putos!

All ours are symbols.

All ours are symbols.

ap_boston_hoax_070201_nr.jpg

Of course, if you people had a civilised welfare system, the whole workman's comp thing would be moot.

Government should say out of the insurance business. But, it would clear up a few issues - for instance when an employee is driving a company vehicle he may be covered by as many a three different insurances, only one of which will pay.

Slowlane vs IBEW

Who could forget?

I helped stick it to them in the 1970s. Fifteen jailed, as I recall, for destruction of property, various kinds of intimidation and two murders. Why did they do it? because they said we were underpaid. Violence seemed (to them) the best way to solve the problem. Yes, that was the IBEW. I have more stories about the IAofM.

Oh, another job site...this time small offices.

The painters are in there wearing no masks using spray guns in these tiny little cubicles.

The one guy was higher than a kite, and ended up puking in the parking lot.

WTF? lol

I used to know a painter who would close up a building compleatly and spray lacquer for days at a time. He smiled a lot, but he talked funny,

Oh, they are. It's just not real pleasant to give a customer a proposal for $30,000 when half of the cost is tied up in WC & L. It's hard to compete with companies that aren't licensed and insured.

That is true but operating without is foolish to the max.

2 years ago, working on a new house, I saw first hand what happens when a circular saw "slips".

There was a guy who had to cut the length of a 2x4 on a 45 angle.

The saw slipped, and he buried the blade in his thigh. Talk about a bloody mess.

Somethings happen despite the best of plans. Perhaps his guard stuck or - horror of horrors he had it pinned back.

Nail gun accidents. Always fun.

I saw one guy put an 8 penny nail in his eye.

He was hammering it in at an upward angle..the nail was above his head, somehow it glanced off and stuck right in.

Damn, that sounds icky. the worst I ever saw was a sixteen penny nail but it was just in a thumb. OK it was length ways all the way down the thumb - but not an eye.

Damn, that sounds icky. the worst I ever saw was a sixteen penny nail but it was just in a thumb. OK it was length ways all the way down the thumb - but not an eye.

Just take it out with the claw hammer. Don't mind my screaming.

ahhhhhhh...

i saw one guy cut himself good with a razor knife once, we were stripping old wire.

The idiot cut towards himself and the knife slipped.

Duh, always cut AWAY

Back