What happened to all of the doom and gloom economic threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Survival?

Meanwhile, 200 miles and a world away, here are some of the concerns recently in the Valley. There is now an epidemic of theft from tarped homes undergoing fumigation. Apparently as professionals tent over homes infested with termites, gangs move into the temporarily abandoned houses to burrow under the tarps and loot the premises — convinced that the dangers of lingering poisonous gas are outweighed by the chance of easy loot. Who sues whom when the gangbanger prying into the closet is found gassed ? When I get termites, I spot treat myself with drill and canisters; even the professional services warn that they can kill off natural pests, but not keep out human ones.

No one in the Central Valley believes that they can stop the epidemic of looting copper wire. I know the local Masonic Hall is not the Parthenon, but you get the picture of our modern Turks prying off the lead seals of the building clamps of classical temples.

Protection is found only in self-help. To stop the Road Warriors from stripping the copper cable from your pump or the community’s street lights, civilization is encouraged to put in a video camera, more lighting, more encasement, a wire protective mesh — all based on the premise that the authorities cannot stop the thieves and your livelihood is predicated on the ingenuity of your own counter-terrorism protocols. But the thief is always the wiser: he calculates the cost of anti-theft measures, as well as the state’s bill in arresting, trying, and rehabilitating him, and so wagers that it is cheaper for all of us to let him be and just clean up his mess.

Best answer?

Stricter gun control laws...
 
For the last couple of years, in the wake of the financial crisis, the banking and finance community has darkly warned about the dangers of over regulating the sector. “We mustn’t impede the free flow of capital”, it is claimed, “otherwise efficiency and productivity will be lost and the real economy will not recover.” The other camp claims that the finance sector must be reined in, re-regulated, otherwise crises will continue to happen. The dichotomy is entirely false. Finance is rules. You cannot increase or decrease the amount of rules in rules. You can only change their character. And you can decide who will set them.

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2012/07/money-is-power.html#FM8tkjWpJ9gOiVRU.99
 
Grim testimony to the fact that public employee unions are willfully and gleefully looting the state treasuries.:rolleyes:

You got it Toyota! Its all about the looting. Unions will loot members, government, anyone. Shit! My union stole the pension fund.
 
firepaydist.JPG


Now match that to the public sector...

Looks like the MEDIAN is above $90K

Okay take your emotional shock value graph and compare it you ones for private sector workers. Be sure to factor in...

- healthcare benefits
- pensions
- 401(k) matching
- profit-sharing
- stock sharing
- overtime
- travel reimbursement, use of company assets, etc
- performance bonuses
- signing bonuses


Of course you didn't bother gathering like data for private sector jobs since you prefer looking at data points in isolation and letting your emotions think for you. :rolleyes:
 
Attn, NIGGERZ dont read this

You wont understand


'The entire Obama presidency, in one anecdote'
Rick Moran




James Pethokoukis writing at the Enterprise Blog:


One of my favorite moments from the new book The Escape Artists: How Obama's Team Fumbled the Recovery:

Energy was a particular obsession of the president-elect's, and therefore a particular source of frustration. Week after week, [White House economic adviser Christina] Romer would march in with an estimate of the jobs all the investments in clean energy would produce; week after week, Obama would send her back to check the numbers. "I don't get it," he'd say. "We make these large-scale investments in infrastructure. What do you mean, there are no jobs?" But the numbers rarely budged.

Now let's fast forward to this past September:

A $38.6 billion loan guarantee program that the Obama administration promised would create or save 65,000 jobs has created just a few thousand jobs two years after it began, government records show. The program - designed to jump-start the nation's clean technology industry by giving energy companies access to low-cost, government-backed loans - has directly created 3,545 new, permanent jobs after giving out almost half the allocated amount, according to Energy Department tallies.

So where are the new jobs coming from, at least the good-paying ones? From the industry Obama wants to replace as much as possible with "clean" energy: oil and gas. A new report from the World Economic Forum estimates the sectors "added approximately 150,000 jobs in 2011, 9% of all jobs created in the United States that year."

Those numbers are even more impressive once you realize that some 40% of all new jobs are being added in low-pay sectors such as retailing and leisure. So nearly 20% of new "good jobs" are in oil and gas.

Obama hasn't a clue. You can almost hear him saying "Do you mean to tell me we invested tens of billions of dollars into research and development of wind farms and it's not creating jobs? Or bio-mass energy? Or algae?

The objective reality of the market escapes this president and his advisors. He has created a reality where wishful thinking takes precedence over logic which allows him to fiercely believe that all of his alternative energy schemes should produce jobs.

But believing in something doesn't make it so - something Obama has found out the hard way.


Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog...presidency_in_one_anecdote.html#ixzz227sMrB3v
 
Chief SwineJowlsFlapLikeWind doesn't realize that not all are fooled into thinking Merc posts have any substance.:rolleyes:


I just demonstrated how AJ is engaging in one of his classic apples-to-oranges fallacies. Your response (I guess) is to say that such fallacies are okay when they're committed by someone whom you agree with politically.

The fact is AJ reached his conclusion that government workers are overpaid... by comparing their total package with just the base salary of private sector workers. He's comparing two unlike things in order to spin and lie his way to some kind of factitious evidence.

Do you think he's playing with a full deck here?
 
Last edited:
I just demonstrated how AJ is engaging in one of his classic apples-to-oranges fallacies. Your response (I guess) is to say that such fallacies are okay when they're committed by someone whom you agree with politically.

The fact is AJ reached his conclusion that government workers are overpaid... by comparing their total package with just the base salary of private sector workers. He's comparing two unlike things in order to spin and lie his way to some kind of factitious evidence.

Do you think he's playing with a full deck here?

No he isn't, so don't worry, you are still on even terms.
 



AJ either didn't read his own link or he's declining to mention bits of it he finds inconvenient.

Updated: See what California cities pay police, firefighters
By Phillip Reese
preese@sacbee.com
Published: Thursday, Mar. 3, 2011 - 9:03 am
Last Modified: Tuesday, Mar. 6, 2012 - 8:31 pm

While their ranks have thinned due to layoffs and the recession, California police offices and firefighters still typically earn far more than most Californians.

California police officers made, on average, $92,976, including overtime, incentive pay and payouts upon retirement during 2010, according to a Bee analysis of data from the state controller's office.



So it's not an average like AJ claims. It's the guys who are retiring, probably with a ton of experience, skill, and expertise. These are the veteran supervisors with a lot of responsibility and training. And a $92k average salary for this kind of fireman is fine.
 
Last edited:
AJ either didn't read his own link or he's declining to mention bits of it he finds inconvenient.





So it's not an average like AJ claims. It's the guys who are retiring, probably with a ton of experience, skill, and expertise. These are the veteran supervisors with a lot of responsibility and training. And a $92k average salary for this kind of fireman is fine.

Over at salary.com, the average fully weighted compensation for California police officers consistently runs about $10K below the Sacramento Bee posting.

Of course, paying ANY money to police or firefighters is anathema to teh homo Marine Glibertarian contingent here ("reformed" Marine homo AJ, "cyber" Marine homo Vetty, and "closeted" Marine homo Miles). They are all bootstrappy rugged individualists, dontcha know!
 
AJ either didn't read his own link or he's declining to mention bits of it he finds inconvenient.





So it's not an average like AJ claims. It's the guys who are retiring, probably with a ton of experience, skill, and expertise. These are the veteran supervisors with a lot of responsibility and training. And a $92k average salary for this kind of fireman is fine.

That kind of earning is wrong for anybody! Until a burger flipper at McDonalds averages 100k day one no government employee should be making more than 80k. Are you stupid?
 
Chrysler earns $436M in second quarter, could overshoot goal of $3B yearly gain

Chrysler said today it earned a profit of $436 million for the three months ending June 30 as its sales and market share gains kept the Auburn Hills automaker on track to meet its goals for the year.

Last year Chrysler lost $370 million during the second quarter after a one-time $551 million charge for fully repaying government loans.

The company’s results are a 141% improvement over its adjusted net income of $181 million during second quarter of last year.

“Our results reflect a tireless pursuit by the people of Chrysler Group to deliver the very best quality and value across our brands,” Chrysler and Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne said in a statement. “Together, we are always striving to achieve more, to learn from the past and build upon our successes.”

Chrysler said its revenue increased 23% to $16.8 billion during the quarter compared with $13.7 billion a year ago.

The Auburn Hills automaker shipped 630,000 new cars and trucks during the quarter, a 22% increase from 514,000 a year ago.

The results for the second quarter keep Chrysler on track to reach its targets for 2012. The company reiterated its guidance for the year, which calls for it to report a net income of $1.5 billion for the year.

For the first six months of this year Chrysler has reported a profit of $909 million.

The company also is halfway towards its 2012 goal of a $3 billion operating profit.

Chrysler today reported an operating profit of $1.5 billion for the first half of the year compared with $984 million last year.

Profits are increasing because average transaction prices have increased and total sales volume has increased, Chrysler said.

Marchionne told reporters earlier this month in Italy that Chrysler could exceed this year’s goal of $3 billion in operating profit.

“The objective of $3 billion is close at hand,” Marchionne said according to Reuters. “We could overshoot it.”

Fiat, Chrysler’s majority owner, is scheduled to report second quarter earnings on Tuesday.

Contact Brent Snavely: 313-222-6512 or bsnavely@freepress.com


http://www.freep.com/article/20120730/BUSINESS0103/120730039/Chrysler-profits-soar-436M-second-quarter
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top