Drow Assassin.. Closed

A

AmberStar

Guest
"Show me your eyes."

Pavel Marsk stood before his would-be assassin. The torches in his tent reflected of his Tormite holy symbol, casting a sliver across her chiseled features and high cheekbones. Pavel was by no means physically imposing, but all who followed him were drawn to his quiet strength and noble cause. He was on the trail of an undead cult that had fled into the Underdark. It appeared that the local Drow houses didn't take kindly to a surface crusade passing so close to Menzzoberaznan.

"If I'm to know what to do with you, show me your eyes... please." The last word was added as an afterthought as the simple cleric realized how impolite he was being, even to someone that had invaded his camp.





I Alaun Da Dyrr stood before the High Priestess T’riss Iira T’tar, the one that summoned me to the temple. I was told it was of great importance, which my house would greatly advance in our hierarchy if I completed this summons. I had my thoughts of what this was about, but refrained from thinking about it in detail, for if it was to come than I would have to deal with it, something I hoped would not come about.

Removing my leather armor from it‘s storage place, It‘s colored matched the darkest shadow one could find here in the Underdark, It‘s function was not really one of protect but of seduction, it only covered half of my ampleness, and hugged my curves as if it was a second skin. Smiling, slid my into my cloak of shadows, a gift from my mentor the morning of the day that I killed him. Sheathing, my duel daggers, I turned to the archway and proceeded to my place of summoning.

T’riss Iira T’tar, was a tall, beautiful elf. I have had many dreams of bedding her, bringing her to my desires and wants. Her crimson hair, and orbs of emeralds were to die for. I bit my tongue as thoughts of pleasurable desires burned deep within my gut. My eyes moved over her curves with a small licking of my lips. “You Summoned me, High Priestess.” the words flowed over my lips, filled with the effects of my desires.

Her words to me was clear, the desire that flickered in her eyes brought a satisfaction to my loins as the intended rewards wasn’t only limited to my house’s advancement. My nipples hardened to the aching burn that dwelled between my legs.

“I shall not fail you.” My words rang over my lips while I brought my fisted hand up to my chest and saluted her. “I shall leave immediately.” nodding to her. I swiftly turned and headed out of the temple. My focus fully upon the quest that was given to me.

My task was easy enough to find. The multiple tents and fire pits were hard to miss, even a blind man could have found this place with the chatter and roaring of the fire pits. It was as if they wanted to be found easy which worried me, but that only lasted a few seconds as my worry turned to the sword points that were touching the sides of my face. “Get up.” Was the words that entered my elven ears. I rose as ordered and instantly I felt their vile hands upon my body, removing the weapons that I selected for this quest.

I was taken to this rather large tent, where there was my target standing before me. He wasn’t that much of a man, it was hard to believe that this human sparked worry into T’riss, however, there maybe more than meets the eye when it comes to this human. I wondered if he was a screamer, like many humans that felt my blade was.

His words brought my brow to an arch. I wondered why my eyes would tell him what to do with me. Maybe it was something that got this human off. The image of this event curled my stomach. His repeated demand and a sharp sword point into the sides of my ribs prompted me to do as I was ordered. “As you wish.” I seductively whispered while I lowered my hood, reveling my aquatic orbs.
 
Pavel had been sleeping in his tent when word reached him from the perimeter sentries. It appeared that Nicholas had found something on his patrols. "Nimble Nick" was the group's contracted "security specialist" which was a nice way of saying that he was a thief who had more experience with the covert than anyone in the band could claim. His bill for this expedition was by no means cheap but Pavel knew they would be lost without him. Along with a Wood Elf named Sandrellys, they were usually the ones that made sure the camp was unmolested during the night.

Pavel was still rising and dressing modestly when Nick pushed the flap back on his tent. "You were right, the Drow did send someone." Pavel furrowed his brow; Nick was good, but to catch a Drow scout in the deep of the Underdark was unheard of. Nick had made such a fuss over getting a pair of Goggles of the Night from that gnome tinkerer before they left the surface; maybe that investment had paid dividends after all.

"Thank you Nick, I'll call them in shortly," Pavel replied, cinching in his belt around his tabard. He tugged just so on the simple over-cloth so that the symbol of Torm was shown proudly embroidered across his chest. It was made redundant by the gold-plated symbol that he hung on his neck next, but he never felt right without both. Ever since he took his vows, he had worn the two together. It seemed to him to remind him why he was risking this incursion into enemy territory. No man of The Dale forgot what the Drow did, but he was hoping this wouldn't be taken as retribution. He hoped he might complete his task and return without kicking the hornets' nest that is the Houses of Menzoberranzan. It seemed he would not have such luxury.

"Come..." Pavel called through the tent flap to whomever was holding this Drow.

---------

As the Drow pulled back her hood, Pavel was instantly struck by the dark beauty of her features. He'd heard of the Drow women being striking seductresses, but he'd never thought how apt the description could be. Still, she was caught sneaking around the camp. He had no idea to what end however. He'd need to work out why she was here: reconnaissance or assassination. Judging by the weapons they had found on her, he had a feeling it was the latter.

Turning to a stand beside him, Pavel filled one of his goblets with water. Without a word to his guards, he stepped close, offering it to her. "I'm sure it's been a long walk. Here," he said simply, holding the metal cup out to her.

Whether she took it or not, Pavel continued. "First, let me begin by apologizing if you were harmed during your capture. That is not our intention; I had hoped that would be far enough from your lands as to pass unnoticed. Again, I am sorry for seeming like an invading force. Now that you've seen the camp, I trust you will recognize that we are nothing of the sort."

Pavel only had the 5 or so members of his immediate band and the other 20 or so were hangers-on: squires, men-at-arms, guards, surgeons, etc. Such was the life of "adventurers" such as them. Pavel had met the rest when all 5 or the original company realized they were on the trail of the same graverobber about 3 years ago now. It had turned into a much larger conspiracy that now had the group plumbing the Underdark for the master of this undead cult. Pavel was weighing out how much of this to share with his prisoner as he paused.

"We are not here to pose a threat to you or any of your Houses. When we have finished what we started, we will leave, without any further confrontation, I hope." Pavel watched her piercing eyes, curious if he had someone before him that could speak to such an arrangement or if her hate for the surface was unbreachable. He did not like to think of the discussion he would be forced to have with the others if she proved immovable.
 
I felt my right brow arch when I realized that this human priest took a fancy to my features. So this human priest has a weakness. I felt my lips forming a smile, I tried to trifle the smile, but failed in that endeavor. I was pleased that this human did not respond to my smile verbally, but just the quick turn to his side to fetch me a goblet of water said enough.

I waited for a few moments before taking the goblet from him thus giving me a few moments to think of how I'm going to split this human's throat, and my escape of course for I know this area quite well. Which took me to question how did they find me so easily and how did they know I was coming. I could feel the anger build up in my gut as I fathomed the possibilities.

I took the goblet but did not drink from it, instead I allowed my fingertip to slide around the rim of it. My mind going over the events at home wondering whom has betrayed me. I could feel my anger growing, and was pleased when the human began talking again for it gave me something else to think about.

"I was unharmed, surprisingly." I turned my head toward the wood elf. Staring as he was to me. "If your intentions are not as invaders than why are you here? " I broke my stare with the wood elf and focused upon the human. "Are you here as an advanced scouting party?" My orbs harden turning slightly red as the anger spreads.

I scoff upon his words of posing a threat to any Drow house."like the choice of not having any confrontation is solely yours!" My anger no longer being restrictive. "You enter our domain as if you rule it and have the gal to tell me you will leave when you finished! I believe that will be our say!" My voice now carrying the heavy accent of the deep.
 
Pavel saw her glance back at Sandrellys who was keeping his post by the tent entrance. It was not difficult to miss the crackling disdain that passed between the two of them. Pavel knew that his friend ranger ascribed his strength and skill as gifts from Shevarash, the Night Hunter. It was most likely taking all of his will to not strike at one who draws the ire of his deity. To calm the already tense situation, Pavel gestured quietly to him and he stepped from the tent. Knowing him as Pavel did, he would not be far.

Her first question showed Pavel that maybe she was merely here as her House was curious about Pavel and his band. Perhaps she was amenable to conversation and they could reach some compromise regarding crossing their lands. The acerbic tone of her continued comments, however, showed Pavel that perhaps he was mistaken. He set his cup down and raised a hand, attempting to restore the tone of their discussion to a more civil level.

"We have no wish to attack, nor are we the vanguard of a war that the surface is bringing to the Underdark. We are an independent free company, tasked with rooting out one specific target that has hidden itself away in your realm. If the Houses take our incursion as a threat, I apologize on behalf of the company, but we cannot leave simply because your Mistresses command it. The threat we are tracking is too great to be contained for long and will be a threat to Menzoberranzan if it is allowed to grow." He watched her eyes, curious how she would react. "I hope you can see that our intention is not hostility with your people. If it were, you can surely reason that we would not be having this conversation and this company would not be led by a member of my order." Pavel flattened his hand over the torso-sized emblem of Torm's hand on his tabard.

"There are people on both sides that ache for war between our peoples. But today is not the dawn of that war. We are not seeking to ignite that spark. Can we not simply part ways on good terms for the betterment of relations?" Pavel asked, extending his other hand out as a symbol of respect and good will. "Pavel Marsk. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance."
 
My breathing was shallow and quick, my blood was boiling due to my own inner voice pushing me to ponder upon the ideas of why I was betrayed to this human priest. I couldn't see the reason why my matriarch would deal with this human or any human for that matter, but yet here I am his prisoner. His prisoner, that thought put a foul taste within my mouth and forced me to ponder the possible outcomes of this situation. The plan of escape took priority over killing this human.

My mind snapped to attention when he lowered his cup and brought his hands up between us in a symbolical peace offering. I nodded as though he verbally asked me to hear him out. His words matched the situation of the camp from an eye point of view, however, even I use deceit and slight of hand to fool the eye's view of the facts, so his words, and the fact that he keeps directing me to is based on this view of the eye.

My brow arched once again, my eyes focused upon his while the words that my ears heard about danger to my world faded my anger to a moment of hesitancy. I observed his eyes, his face, even his body for any signs of nervousness, to my dismay he showed none, only a true belief in what he was saying. This made me stumble for a moment, my mind now aching to find out what or whom threatened my home.

I allowed my posture to ease, the anger to fade to questionable curiosity. "What is this threat to my world." my tone still bitter but not with the boiling anger of moments ago. I had to find out what this human knows and what my world might have to confront. Maybe this was the link between T'riss and this priest.

"I have no faith in your god, nor your order, however, you do have my ear and open mind to hear of this threat." my tone cold while my eyes falls to his extended hand, his name reaching my mind as if I would care to know it. I exhaled deeply as I realized that I would have to play around with this human to learn of this threat.

I reached out and took his hand, the vileness of this contact made me queasy."Aluan Da Dyrr." I offered no pleasantries with my given name."Let's say you have peaked my concern of this threat to my world, elaborate on exactly what it is." I commanded, not caring nor remembering that I'm his prisoner..
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Pavel continued to play the role of the gracious host rather than Aluan's captor. He smiled ever so slightly when she took his hand. He looked around and pulled up a barrel being stored in his tent to use it as a seat. "Please..." he gestured to the side of his cot as there were no other places to sit. He didn't think anything of his gesture or consider some subtler meaning. The cleric didn't have much experience in such matters.

Settling in on his uncomfortable barrel top, he looked at his would-be assassin before beginning. "As you can imagine, I've been leery to divulge the majority of the specifics of our mission as it already stands on a knife's edge. The involvement of people on your side might make it that much harder for us to succeed. However, as a gesture of good faith in the name of brokering a more cooperative relationship, I will share enough for you to know the seriousness of our quest and the threat we seek to eliminate."

Pavel retrieved his unfinished cup of water and sipped it, knowing he was about to speak at length for the next few minutes. "As you said, you don't care much for my order but I'm sure word has even reached your ears of Torm's actions during the Time of Troubles." Pavel paused, looking for acknowledgement or ignorance. In either case, his next words would be the same. "Bane was not the only god to fall during those days; Bhaal fell as well. There are those that tread darker paths that seek to restore their fallen god to the world. We believe such a cult has carved out a space in the Underdark for themselves and are set to accomplish this task by the end of the month. We are hoping to find them and stop them before this can happen. The threat to your people lies in the ritual. Since he died on this plane, he will be reformed on this plane."

Pavel turned to a map that was laid out on a table in the room and pulled it over for her to see it. "He will be not much more than a shapeless form of power until he can reconstitute his body. To do that he must return to the place of his death which is here." He pointed to Waterdeep. "We believe that their base of operations is in an abandoned part of the Underdark here." He placed another finger on the map before sliding them towards each other. Right where they met was Menzoberranzan.

He looked again at the face of his beautiful assassin. "Surely even you must recognize that your people are not ready to deflect the unbridled power of the old God of Death released on the world."

Pavel waited and watched to see if he had given her enough cause to see that Pavel's mission was a necessary one. Pavel continued, preempting the inevitable question. "We did not seek your people out as we were not sure the welcome we'd receive or how open your leadership would be to recognizing such a serious threat to everyone. Given our group's size, we hoped to be in and out before anyone might notice. Again, I apologize to you and yours about that."

Pavel knew he wasn't just talking to one woman. Perhaps through her, he might be able to speak to the wider Drow nation but even that might be too much for someone like him to pull off. Pavel was a leader by example not by inspiration. He wasn't sure if he had been compelling enough; her response would tell him what he needed to know.
 
My eyes narrow while my gaze locks with Pavel when he gestures towards the bed. So this is what it's all about, I feel the corners of my mouth start to cruel up in a small smirk. I will just have to oblige him and tarnish that talisman of his, humiliate him in front of his god by bedding him and then split his throat. My only problem after killing this human was the others in the camp. Yes I'm skilled at sneaking about the shadows, using the darkness to slay my pray, but to fight hand to hand, I'm not as skilled as the warrior class, and it appeared that the two that captured me, the wood elf was a ranger, but the other one was...a thief. So even if I did escape in the middle of the night. The elf would be able to track me and the thief would be able to match me in my movements in the darkness. I would have to kill them as well, not to mention the men at arms. I lowered my head as disparity settled in.


Rising my orbs to the noise, I witnessed Pavel rolling a barrel toward the cot, I was slightly amused when he used it like a stool. Sighing in my despair, I moved to the cot and took my place. I looked down to the goblet he handed to me earlier, my fingertips taping a melody upon its side as I was trying to raise my disposition . Mysterious eyes moved up to his when he began speaking once more.

I listened to all he he to say, saw what he wanted me to see, but what I really saw was a human telling me a very tall tale in hopes to cover up what he is really up too. I remained silent for a few moments staring into his eyes. "You are good human, a very good story teller, even if it is as you humans say... A tall tale.. What I don't understand is why are you even trying to get me to believe you, for even if I did, do you really think I can do anything to help you. As if I would.."

"So, now that your story has been told. Would you be so kind to tell me why your really here on our land." I slowly began to allow my eyes to sweep over the area trying to figure a way Out of here.
 
Pavel hung his head as Alaun made it clear she didn't believe a word he was saying. He took a deep breath, and grumbled to himself. "You sound like my high priest last year... he didn't believe any of this either." He lifted his head to look in her eyes again, swallowing down a pang of lust that rose in him as his eyes swept up her body, however quickly. With her siting as she was, he was able to get a better look under her cloak and her body had the same enrapturing quality as her eyes did. Still, this was no time for such thoughts. They were going to be heading even deeper into the Underdark in the morning; he didn't have time to get involved with women. Such had been the refrain to Pavel's thoughts during most of this quest. Given all the traveling and fighting they had been doing, Pavel had let that side of his life go unfulfilled. He had thought about pursuing Hannah, the fiery battlemage they had brought along for this fight, but after a few nights of her screaming Nick's name, he had a feeling that door was shut.

Shaking those thoughts away, Pavel stood up again and walked to his ewer of water. He refilled his cup, knowing full well he had turned his back to his "prisoner". Either she would take the chance or she would continue to sate her curiosity by listening. He hoped she would tend toward the latter. "Now you see why we didn't come to your people with this information. If this is how you are hearing us, I can't imagine your high priestesses would be any more welcoming." He set the near empty vessel back down before turning back to Alaun.

"Come with us then. See for yourself. Learn the truth of things and how serious this threat can be. If you still think this is not your problem, go back to your superiors and tell them all you've seen. Either way, we must continue. We do not seek conflict with you or yours, but we will not run from it." Pavel bit his lips. His last words could be taken as a threat and he desperately did not want to renew hostilities with the Drow. The last 3 years of frustration over the lack of help they've received got the better of him however and he snapped at someone that was not at fault for any of that.

"Sorry, that came out wrong. We would welcome any help you or your people could bring. Oh, if you could only see what we've seen." Pavel frowned, trying to think of what he could say or do that might sway his erstwhile attacker to believing anything he could say. There were the items they had taken from the generals of Bhaal's cause, but he did not dare take them from their warded boxes especially as he couldn't confirm Alaun's allegiance just yet.
 
I can see his discontent spreading across his face for humans were so easily readable, well the ones that I have came across at least. Pavel was one that I was beginning to be able to read and that what scares me. He still has that strong conviction in his body language that he believes in what he's been saying. Where if it was someone else, and their story was false they would have lost that false conviction in their body language.

I witnessed the lust in Pavel's eyes when he swept over my body, but it quickly faded as apparent situation has spoiled the moment. This made me even worry more that maybe he might be telling me the truth as far as he knows. There is treachery everywhere. I should know for it has just happened to me and as of yet I don't k ow why.

I looked up as Pavel stood up and walked away from me. I lowered my head and pondered the possibilities which sickened me. Maybe the southern houses has aligned themselves with this cult and the god of death. I shook my head in disbelief, this would lead the underdark open to a civil war for mother would not allow this. My mind tormented of the thought that the words spoken by Pavel was merely garbled gibberish.

This can't be! I realized that I wasn't betrayed, but used to find this party and stop them from finding this. cult! I look up at Pavel with a totally confused, scared look upon my face. "It's a trap " my mouth betraying me. "They wanted me to stop you." My heart was pounding as the knowledge of our ways pointed to another fact. " They would have sent a squad of men to follow me to ensure the task was completed." My eyes focusing upon Pavel. "You all are in danger." I now realized I would have to help this human to help my people.
 
Pavel frowned deeply, looking deep into Alaun's eyes. Drow used treachery as he might use his sword. He had to know the truth of things. Then again, he had been open and honest for just this reason. Perhaps it was time to give the benefit of the doubt. After what felt like minutes of thought, Pavel resolved on his way forward. "Then we don't have a moment to waste."

With that, he pushed the flap aside. Sandrellys was waiting outside just as he predicted. "Her things..." he asked of his stoic wood elf companion. His eyes said more than his words ever could, but Sandrellys turned over the weapons he confiscated from Alaun before bringing her to the camp. Pavel had earned that trust. Turning to the camp, Pavel lifted his symbol high and invoked a miracle from Torm, calling forth Daylight and suspending it above the camp. "We shall be to order!" he called out over the camp. The night watch scrambled to wake the rest of the camp as Pavel turned back to Sandrellys. "Go wake up Agnoz."

Agnoz. The company's barbarian and the latest addition to the 5 core members. It was a good thing he hadn't been awake when Alaun was brought in; he would have tried to kill her on sight. Growing up outside of society because of his orc father had made him distrustful of most people. He also had one simple means of dealing with threats: kill it. Hopefully, Pavel could temper his rage if Alaun was going to be staying with them for a while.

Pavel swept back into the tent, placing Alaun's equipment on the floor before her. "I don't know what they might do with you so I can't leave you defenseless when they come so arm yourself. How many are we facing?" He watched her face as he asked such a blunt question. "You wouldn't have warned us if you didn't want to help, so you may as well continue aiding us for now." Pavel also knew that if a fight was coming to the camp he wouldn't be able to keep track of her. He needed to get as much from her before she slipped away... if she slipped away.

The tent opening was thrown back again and two young men in the same clothing as Pavel ran in. One carried a suit of armor, the other carried a large two-handed sword, the preferred weapon of Torm's church. As if participating in a dance they had done over and over, Pavel stood and moved his body crisply as the young priest slapped plate after plate in place on Pavel's body. In a few minutes, gone was the simple cleric and it it's place stood a holy warrior, clad head to toe in a shimmering plate. Muttering a prayer to himself, he slowly drew the sword from the scabbard in the other priest's hands.

"Torm, guide this hand to defend those you have placed in my care.
May my strength guide others to carry your banner to the dark places.
May your light shine through me and push back the evil that encroaches on this world."

Pavel never gave much thought to the third line of the Battle Prayer of Torm, but he saw Alaun's eyes over top of the wide blade that rested in his hands. He bit his lip, curious to see if she took it as a slight against her or her people. Either way, he had to finish it.

"Carry those that may fall to your realm in the life beyond.
Welcome them as warriors that have earned their place by your side.
But give me your power to keep them here until their time is done."

Having finished his prayer, he could hear the shouts of the perimeter guards in the distance. "They're here already, aren't they?" He asked simply as he walked to the opening in the tent.
 
T'riss! What have you done? I whispered to myself. I couldn't believe she could have betrayed our mother, our house, our people. I felt the pit of my stomach churning with a sickness that threatened to expose what I had eaten earlier. I was hoping that I was completely wrong about this, but it made perfect sense. I just don't know what power was promised to her, but that didn't matter for when and if I face her and her betrayal is true. I will kill her.

When Pavel stood up and walked toward the opening of the tent my eyes traveled with him. His words, his actions showed me that he believed me of the danger they were in. This was a strange feeling to me for humans never trusted Drow and vice versa. I felt slightly confused on how I should feel about him and this situation that I have found myself in, but so far he has treated me with respect and protected me from any harm. I wondered if this was just my imagination or could it be some other deeper intention, either way my life sits in the hands of this human.

When Pavel asked the wood elf for my things my brow narrowed in wonderment. What was this zihuman thinking. I pushed that thought back when Pavel began to chant, my eyes narrowed waiting to see what he was doing then before my very painful eyes the darkness vanished and light was upon the camp.

Then when came back into the tent my aquatic orbs looked upon him with uncertainty for what was going to happen. I looked down from his seriously worried face to my equipment, his words made me look back up to his. " Thank you." I struggled with this but managed to swallow the lump that formed. "Knowing what is at stake your looking at seven warriors, two clerics, one battlemage, two assassins." I gave him the heavier patrol for it would be better to be over prepared than under. The conflict that was going through me was apparent for I am about to turn on my own people.

Before I could say what I wanted to say his men came bustling in with his armor began to dress him, before long I was looking at what I have seen many times over the years. The human killing machine. Images of the dead crossed my eyes. I was actually grateful that I wasn't a soldier, that armor would take away my deadliest weapon, my curvy form. A smile came to my face.

I gritted my teeth when he began to pray. It wasn't the words that bothered me it was the meaning of them that I wished to discuss with the human. But that would have to wait for danger is coming and if the human speaks the truth the assassins will come for me.

I grabbed my equipment and stood up putting my weapons where they belong. I watched Pavel as he turned and headed for the outside. "Yes they are here, and if you speak the truth, the assassins will come for me. If you have lied to me. I will come for you!" My words rang cold.

I stood behind him with my fingers gripping the cold steel pommels of my daggers. I could end this now I whispered to myself, but would I be condemning my people to a civil war. I have decided. I removed my hands from my weapons.
 
Pavel pushed the flap of his tent back and strode out into the light radiating over the camp. Hopefully, the bright light would level the battlefield between his company and the Drow about to come. His heart sunk as he considered the perimeter guards. They were well-meaning men and women, but ultimately he did not think they possessed the training necessary to fight off a trained Drow company. He hoped he'd be able to restore them to health later, but deep down, he doubted they were going to survive.

The cries and warning shouts that came from all around the camp told him that the perimeter had failed. Feeling Alaun near him, he looked over at her. "I don't think I'll need to worry about your threat for now." He commented as he turned towards an explosion near the edge of the camp to his right. From the sound of it, Hannah was dueling with the battlemage that Alaun's kinsman had brought. Pavel set off at a run in that direction, watching in horror as Hannah's apprentice was cut down by a moving shadow that had to be one of the assassins. "NO!" Pavel called out which drew the attention of a Drow clad in black armor. The warrior ran down the space between tents at Pavel only to be dropped to the ground by an arrow from Sandrellys' bow. Once again, they years spent fighting together shone through as another unseen warrior was cut off from reaching Pavel by the wild swings from Agnoz.

Pavel slid to his knees beside Hannah's apprentice, Glenda, but frowned as he saw the creeping black ink-like stain spreading from the wound. It had already taken effect as he saw the glassy look in her eyes. "I'm sorry child." he muttered as he slid her eyelids closed. Looking up, he saw a pair of warriors and a cleric slaughtering their way towards him. Rising to his feet, Pavel charged toward them, sending a beam of Searing Light toward the cleric before he drew to melee. Standing firm and using his miracles to his utmost, he was able to stand his own. In his fury, he had lost track of the assassin he had just seen kill Glenda. He was hiding a top the awning of the tent beside him and it was only a matter of time before he was ready for his death stroke.
 
My head lowered upon hearing the cries and shouts coming from the outer rim of the encampment. It has begun; this massacre will surely bring war, not only from the surface dwellers, but also from within the Underdark in the form of civil war. This! This is why I became an assassin; my wars were not with many but one, maybe two at the most. I now see why we the Drow are looked at with so much hatred, for we are so willing to kill ourselves and others for just a spark of promised power. I felt sick to my stomach for I am the one that lead the patrol here out of my arrogance and blindness to what was really going on.

Pavel’s voice brought my attention from my inner conflict to the one that was raging around me. His words hit me harder than what I could believe. I was actually hurt by the pain he was feeling. His tone of voice that he used to answer the last words I spoke to him actually made me feel guilty. I shook my head in shock for these feelings that were surfacing for this human. My inner voice yelling at me to join my brethren but I couldn’t the only thing I wanted to do was to make sure that Pavel and the rest of his band survived.

Pulling my daggers, I followed Pavel through the narrow passages between the tents. I took a defensive stance beside him when he dropped down to a fallen comrade. I could hear his pain in the words he spoke to her. I fight back what I couldn’t believe was happening to me, I was actually fight back tears! Pavel’s instant bounce from kneeling to charging snapped me back from my inner turmoil. His anger fueled his ability to cast strong holly magic into the fury of swords and shields.

Then my eye catches one of the assassins moving towards Pavel’s blindside, his prowess was at its perfection, the blade coated with our deadliest poisons. I tried to scream to get Pavel’s attention, but no words came across my lips, I felt the rush of raging anger come over me as I witnessed an image of Pavel being killed. NO! my mind screamed as I rush forward toward the assassin. His arm pulling back to deliver the fatal strike into Pavel‘s back. I instantly used my right arm to parry away the assassins blade and jabbed upward with my left handed dagger. My blade ricocheted off the right shoulder of the assassin and into the soft flesh of his neck. I felt the small resistance of the skin which infuriated me to push with all my strength sending my blade deep into the brain of the assassin.

As I kicked the assassin away from my blade I watched Pavel unleashing his anger upon the cleric, the two warriors faces showed the shock of their death. It didn’t phase me to see them killed by a human, for I was thankful that the human was still killing my now new enemy. I wanted to run up beside him, but in that fury I feared I would be an unintended victim, so I waited for him to dispatch the Cleric, but what I failed to see was the other assassin whom seen what I did and responded by sending an arrow my way.

I heard the thud before the pain, as the arrow sunk deep into my chest. I could taste the blood in my mouth and the burning of the poison spreading in my veins. Everything began to blur as I fought the poison, I was just thankful that I was a Drow at this moment for the Poison would only make me sick for a few days, but the arrow in my chest was a different matter. I feel to my knees as I watched the assassin making his way toward me, his face of anger and hatred for me was obvious. He reared back his arm to finish my life, my last look was not at my assassin, but to Pavel…
 
Pavel had never felt so empowered, yet so impotent. He could hear the cries of the camp rising around him, yet he continued his battle with the cleric and his body guards. It was taking nearly his entire repertoire of miracles to face them 3 on 1. Somehow, he still held the upper hand; the opposing cleric seemed to realize this as Pavel brought one then the other of his bodyguards low. Facing off against the minion of Lolth alone, he was faced with a different challenge of matching his powers with his own. As they traded curse for blessing, Pavel heard the sound of a blade clash near him. Glancing in that direction, he saw Alaun pushing her foot into the chest of a drow he'd completely not seen to push the now corpse off her knife. He nodded his thanks, but shock took him as a sinister looking arrow buried itself in her chest. "NO!" he called out, blocking the aimed swing of the cleric's mace.

Looking toward the source of the shot, Pavel gritted his teeth as another drow, lithe and deadly, slipped from the shadow of one of the tents. The dagger she drew matched Alaun's and he knew her intent as Alaun slumped to her knees beside him. Once the Assassin drew closer and lifted her hand high, Pavel lifted his symbol high before crying out for Torm to level them both with his Holy Smite. A blinding burst of holy energy pulsed from where Pavel was standing, sweeping over the two Drow and Alaun. He knew she would be caught as well, but the blinding light was what he was after. The cleric before him stumbled back, cursing at Pavel in his own language. Raising his sword high, he brought it down, cleaving the now blind cleric nearly in twain.

Circling around, he saw both Alaun and her killer were blinded by the miracle he'd unleashed. She slashed wildly at his erstwhile protector again, still trying to kill what she could not see. Again, it was too easy as Pavel stalked his now weakened prey and with Divine Power coursing through him, he removed the threat to Alaun permanently.

The din of the fight was subsiding around the camp. Confident he had the time, Pavel knelt beside Alaun, pulling a potion for the pouch at his side. He spoke quietly to Alaun as he was sure she was scared, being blind and at the border with death. "It's me, Alaun. It's Pavel. Don't worry, just lie still. The blindness lasts but a few moments. I will see to your wound." He'd prepared for the poisons they might face and had several antidotes distributed throughout the camp. The potion he opened was of a more potent variety and as he poured it into the wound around the arrow that was there, he was confident it could Neutralize Poison. Taking the arrow in one hand and pressing his holy symbol to her chest with the other, Pavel began intoning a prayer in the Celestial language to invoke a miracle that would Cure Serious Wounds as he drew the arrow from her chest. Tossing it aside, he looked at the small scar that would be left behind even with the use of his power. "There, how do you feel?" He asked quietly as he heard someone running over. It was Sandrellys that had arrived and was now giving Pavel a quizzical look. "See to the others and tell me their condition." Again, without a word, the Wood Elf took off quickly, looking for the others in their band. Meanwhile, Pavel was helping Alaun sit up.

"Thank you... for what you did." He said simply, pausing briefly to look at the dead assassin behind her.
 
I smiled when I witnessed Pavel surviving the battle, I seen the look upon his face as he realized I was dying. The look of anger was slightly more than before, showing me that there was something else stirring within him over me. I was honored when he grasped his holy symbol and began praying once more while approaching my assassin. I whispered under my breath my apology for what I have done, and I wished him success in stopping this menace that threatened both of our worlds. But before I could say good bye a blinding flash of light struck me.

Pain, pain was what told me that I was still alive. My chest wasn’t the only thing that was now pushing me over my tolerance of pain, by eyes burned more than the poison that surged through my body. Then my mind was taken away from the pain by a very familiar voice, once again Pavel was praying, I smiled in a sarcastic way. Then for a brief moment a pain shot through me that made me wish I had died moments before, but it subsided with everything else except one hell of a headache. I heard Pavel’s voice but even with my eyes open I could not see him. I reached out and took a hold of him in fear, but his smoothing words put me at rest.

I helped him helping me to sit up. Once up I grasped his arm tightly. “I will do whatever I can to help those of you that need anything. I don’t have the healing power as you, but I can and will get you supplies and manpower to keep our quest going. We must stop this cult from gaining power.” I released his arm knowing he wanted to get to his people. “Go on, I’m okay thanks to you. I will sit here until my vision returns. I will come looking for you. Go your people need you.” I have never thought I would be talking in a civilized manner to a human, but this one has earned my respect.

I looked over at his fallen human friend. I knew someone that could help but it would he a hard trip to get there in time. I would have to speak with Pavel about this, he may not want anymore Drow help after this night. I wouldn’t blame him if he or the others wanted to make an example out of me. They have lost a lot this very night.

After a few minutes, I stood up, still a little blah, but was able to walk a straight line somewhat. I made my way to where Pavel was attending to his people. The glares that I got was somewhat a little nerving but not unexpected. “I’m so sorry.” was the first words out of my mouth to him. “Pavel…” I pulled at his arm a little to pull him back away from the others.. “We have to move out of here now.” I gave him a look that no one could misinterpret.
 
Pavel nodded when Alaun released him to see to his people. His heart sank as he thought about how many were probably lost tonight. Those that were alive were gathering the wounded and dead. The area before Pavel's tent was set up as a triage and healing center as they had been doing for as long as the group was founded. Pavel's apprentices were already seeing to the wounded, separating the cases by severity. As he anticipated, Agnoz was one of the worst cases. He had more than a few arrows protruding from his body. Even in his rage he had managed to avoid most of the sword blows, but the arrow wounds were already blackening. "I'll see him first."

Pavel shed some of his armor to allow him better freedom of movement as he set to the task of curing his friend. He heard Agnoz growling and when Pavel followed his eyes, he saw Alaun up and about, walking towards him. "Steady, friend, she's with us. She warned us that they were coming... though I wish it had been sooner." he muttered into his hands as he channeled some of his remaining power into his belligerent friend as he removed the arrows. The surgeon had managed to weather the fight and was seeing to the less critical injuries with his non-magical curatives. The apprentice clerics were using their gifts to stabilize those that were waiting.

When Alaun pulled him back from the table, he was open to listening. She had saved his life and he was more than happy to hear her out. As she spoke, her offer still rang in his head. Could she truly help recoup their losses tonight? Pavel's mind raced with the thought that there might be aHouse that would be willing to listen to him. He'd had such little success among his own people that those in his camp were people that Pavel and the others had either saved or had volunteered to be squires or apprentices. If he'd had his way, he would be marching with a company of men from The Dale to confront this foe. After tonight, he was slightly glad that he hadn't. Who knows what sort of response the Drow would have sent to such a large group.

Having heard her warning, he patted her hand reassuringly. "I'm sure that this isn't the end of it, but as we are right now, we're in position to move. We have wounded to treat and we must see to the dead. We will be heading on at first light." At that comment, Pavel couldn't help but chuckle at how absurd that term could be in the permanent blackness of the Underdark. "In the morning," he corrected himself.

Turning back to his triage, he looked over the dead and those waiting care. Something was missing. "Nick? Has anyone seen Nicholas?" He asked those assembled. A chorus of no's and shaking heads made Pavel's stomach tighten. He couldn't have. Not one of the Company. Not after all this time... Pavel felt his knees weaken as he got back to the table and continued his work with the others. Despite his feelings, there were those that needed his help.
 
I searched Pavel’s eyes as he listened to me, but the look on his face told me that I was out of line and that he had a ritual of healing and burying his dead. Something the Drow didn’t bother with for they took it as an instrument to invoke fear into those that came upon a battlefield. Even I have witnessed the effects of this tactic and even used it to my advantage. I actually felt the loss of life from remembering when I killed that knight lord just a few weeks ago. I looked over the dead, wounded for the very first time, and felt sorrow for them.

When he turned away from me, I reached out for him, “Pavel!” I withdrew quickly not wanting to interfere with his work. He was dedicated to these people just as he was on this quest of his. I wanted to help more now than ever. All this time I hated humans not because I had a lot of dealing with them but just from the propaganda about them and now I see the truth. Yes, there are bad humans that do the things that are talked about, but there are things that some Drow do while other don’t. I know now why there are so many Drow outcasts now for they saw that not all humans are bad, but now for what I just did and am doing, I’m one of those that will never be welcomed back to my home.

I looked over to Pavel as he asked about Nick. I moved up to him, placing my hand upon his shoulder. “I will go look for him. I will also scout out around the perimeter to make sure that we can make it to the morning hours.” I removed my hand from him quickly not knowing if he approved being touched by one of my kind. “Pavel… I…” I just looked at him and backed away. My gaze faltering to the ground to the huge Agnoz’s glare of disapproval of me being here..

I moved off to the east, the direction of my home and the origin of the now deceased battle patrol. I knew there were more on their way here. She would make sure this group wouldn’t make it to the cult of the undead god to stop the ritual. I also wanted to look for Nick, think he would also be thinking the samething as me. With one last look back over my shoulder to Pavel, I headed out…
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Pavel looked to his side as he felt the delicate fingers of Alaun's hand wrap gently over his shoulder. Such a tender touch filled him with such strange emotions. She came here under such hostile intentions and now she had saved in life so quickly after meeting him. Yet, in the face of the fallen, part of him was eaten up by doubt over her true intentions. His mind raced back and forth over the timing of her announcement of the impending attack. The timing was enough that they could mount a defense, but the camp was still nearly wiped out. He tried to give her the benefit of the doubt, but she was still Drow. It could all still be some grand stratagem to join their group. Then, he looked in her eyes.

There was such sorrow, such heartache over the loss of life laid out before her. If she could fake that, she was truly gifted in the arts of deception. Her hand recoiled as he heard Agnoz growl like a protective dog at her touch. Pavel nodded in response before she slipped away, feeling thankful that she was agreeing to help out. He also recognized that if she returned, she was genuine in her desire to help them. The rest of the night was spent healing the wounded to the best of his ability. If the Drow came for them again, he wasn't sure he'd be able to fend them off. His gifts for the day were completely spent. Hannah was in the same shape, but was also mourning Glenda's passing. It was quite the ordeal to pull Hannah away from her side so they could gather her with the rest.

The dead were disposed of by putting them on funeral pyres. The caves of the Underdark did not lend themselves easily to digging graves. Pavel and his apprentices prayed for the dead and led the others to mourn for their loss. By the time Pavel made it back to his tent, he was exhausted. He'd only slept a short time before Alaun's arrival had woken him. After all that happened tonight, he wasn't sure how much more sleep he'd be able to get before they'd have to leave. He wound up sending his apprentices to bed first, telling them he would see to his things. He was so tired that he simply shed his armor, dropping it to the floor before toppling onto his cot facefirst. He was dead asleep not long after.

-----

The eastern side of the camp was where most of the devastation took place. Broken tents and upturned braziers marked most of the area. The outer fires were burning out, running low on the fuel that had been fed before the fight started. As the darkness settled back in, the area was turning back into the Underdark and was a welcome change for a Drow to move around in. One campfire area seemed different from the others. There was no indication of fighting. There was also no trace of the men that were tending this fire. If they'd been killed, they must have been elsewhere when it happened. Searching the area would reveal their location however: face down behind a stack of travelling firewood and barrels of foodstuffs. The cause of death was a sharp stab between the ribs necessary to pierce the heart from behind. The wounds also showed no sign of poison, either.
 
I stopped and turned back toward the camp wanting to go back for now where Pavel stood was my home. I no longer wanted to be where I am. T’riss’s betrayal marked our house for betrayers and mother wouldn’t stand for this, however, what if there were more houses involved in this betrayal. It was quickly turning ill fated for the Drow unless…. I didn’t want to even think about the fact that most houses might of turned, for Mother has lost many battles to the humans now for centuries and this might be why it’s tilted this way. I’m not sure what is going on, and I don’t really know how to find out for as we all know the treachery we Drow live by. No, My home is now with Pavel that is all I have to know now.

I moved on, looking for Nick, I came across the outer rim defense of Pavel’s and to my horror I found not Nick, but what I believe to be Nick’s work. The two guards were killed by assassination, but it wasn’t done by a Drow weapon. I searched the wounds for the black growth of the poison but found nothing. Even the warriors coated their weapons with the poison so it wasn’t a Drow attack here at all. I looked over the area having that feeling of uncomforting vibe.

I instantly went into the skills of my profession. I faded into the darkness and began my prowl. My major concern was not Nick, it was the second wave of the Drow that I feared. It would be more than a few squads, it would be a company. I debated if I wanted to try and make it to the Darkmere house a known house for its loyalty to Mother, but how would they see me traveling with humans, would they consider me to be an outcast and kill me on sight? No, it was too far and I didn’t want to leave Pavel for he was blind now without Nick, so he had to depend on me to get him through the passages of the Underdark.

I stayed out for a few hours, looking for either Nick or the company size response to take out the survivors but to my dismay I didn’t find them. There was no trace of a second wave. This worried me, was there something going on in my House? Maybe T’riss wasn’t the betrayer but one of the high priestess maybe? This wanted me to go back and talk with T’riss, she could be held captive and needed my help. Maybe Pavel would help me? My mind raced with worry for both, I have to go back and talk with Pavel, I have to convince him to help me find out what is going on with T’riss.

I headed back to the camp, by the time I get there it would be close for them to rise and prepare to move out. I hurried my stepping to almost a run. My heart pounded for every second could me life or death to T’riss. Emotions, Emotions I never thought I would experienced raced through me like the warm blood flowing in my veins. It took my breath away thinking something bad happening to T’riss and on the other hand if I take Pavel there and she is the Betrayer, I condemn Pavel to death. I had to talk to him..

I stopped in my tracks when I got back to the camp. There standing at the tent opening stood Agnoz. I slowly approached, my hands raised up. “I need to speak with him. It is urgent. I will wait out here if you will wake him.” I prayed he would do as I asked for if not, I would have to fight him to get inside, I must talk to Pavel…
 
The wide chest of the half-orc spanned the opening in Pavel's tent. As Alaun spoke, he lifted the ugly greataxe that had been his true companion since the days before Agnoz met Pavel. It was a rudimentary weapon that he had cobbled together from discarded metal and a broken haft of a weapon. Every nick, ding, pitted stain and scratch along the menacing edge was a life he'd taken, be it beast or man. He held it in his hands before him as he stood before Alaun, towering over her. "I don't know what game you're playing here. You show up just before an attack. You don't think I can see through your subterfuge? You're here to kill him. I know it. You know it. You may have him fooled, but not me. It'll be my pleasure to stop you."

A calm voice spoke from behind the menacing barbarian. "Agnoz... remember your promise." It was a dirty trick to use Agnoz's sense of honor against him, but some times it was the only way that he could rein in his bloodlust. Agnoz looked over his shoulder at Pavel as he stood in the entrance to his tent. With a grunt and a nod, he turned from Alaun and stomped toward his own tent elsewhere in the camp. With him gone, Pavel gestured for Alaun to join him inside. It was still a little while before the rest of the camp would wake so there was still a stillness that permeated the camp. Given the events of last night, it felt like the pall of death was still hanging in the air.

As she joined him inside, Pavel sat down on his cot. He seemed a different person today; he seemed weary, down-trodden. His body language looked defeated. Drawing in a deep breath, he sat up full and tall, pushing away that image as he looked at Alaun. "While you were blinded and wounded during the attack, you said that you would do anything for this group, that you would see to it that we had enough men and material to succeed on our quest. Now, you were rather distressed so if it was something said in a panic, I understand." He stood up slowly and crossed to her. "But if it was a genuine offer, can you guarantee such a thing?" He asked, his eyes searching hers for the truth of her offer.
 
I was no match for the half-orc in a honorable hand to hand combat, however, while he would be fighting with honor I would not so the outcome was greater for my success than his. I stood my ground regardless if fear was threatening to choke me, I wasn’t going to show him that he intimidated me. My eyes burned with the stress of things that has come to my sense of logic, my heaviness was in need of Pavel, he seemed to enlighten me when every he was around me. Maybe it was just the fact that he treated me like he treated another human with respect. I don’t know I just know I wanted to be with him. “Agnoz, I do not wish harm to anyone here especially Pavel. Now you have the right not to believe me, but do not attempt to step in between us and try to pit us against each other, for I shall ki… Just give me the chance like Pavel gave to you. Most Half-orc’s are despised by humans just like us Drow, So I ask you for the chance to prove to you that I can be trusted.”

Pavel’s voice cut off Agnoz chance to respond to my plea for a chance, but this isn’t the last tine we will square off. I just feel the tensing flowing through that body of his, I can feel the hatred and distrust, so it’s not going to be an overnight thing with him. My only hope is that if I’m in trouble and he is the only one close enough to help me that he will do it out of respect for Pavel. I lowered my gaze in respect to him when he turned and walked away upon Pavel’s words.

When I looked up and my gaze fell upon Pavel, a wash of burden was lifted from my heart upon seeing him okay. He still looked tired and drained, but he still had that aura of power about him. I lowered my gaze to the ground for shame still clung to me for I was the one that brought them here, not intentionally but out of ignorance that I was being used.

I moved to the side giving Pavel room to get past me. I watched as he took a seat upon his cot heavier than usual. He looked even more vanquished than moments ago. I remained silent giving him time to get his composure back. After a few moments he looked up at me and questioned my statement that I made after the attack.

I looked down to the ground wanting to ask him about T’riss but I would be wrong to put my wanting in front of his quest. I slowly nodded, “Yes, There is a very Loyal house to the Mother in this area that would side with humans to stop the god of death.” I answered honestly but still had the heavy look of wanting on my face, it was hard to completely remove it. “The travel is two days, Pavel…. I “ I looked away from him, slowly turned toward the flaps of the tent and allowed my gaze to travel across the encampment.
 
Pavel heard her further explain where they might get succor after what happened last night. When she spoke of Mother, he got the creeping suspicion that she was speaking of Lolth. The Queen of the Drow was no friend to people of the surface; then again, a mutual threat could make for strange bedfellows. After all, he'd managed to keep his assassin from killing him and now she was offering to aid him and his expedition. Perhaps this could be the chance they need to take.

"Very well, we will make for this House once we get underway. Please understand that we are on a time table. We cannot spend more then half a tenday pursuing other matters. The cult will gain the ability to perform their ritual by the end of the month. I don't know how long it will take once begun so the sooner we can get to your people and be on our way again, the better." He stood up and walked to the map on his table. "If you could show..." He voice trailed off as he saw Alaun looking out at the camp from the tent's entrance.

Crossing back to her, he placed his hand on her shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze. "None of this is your fault. Forces were moving against both of us and that is what brought this to pass, not you." He said, trying to reassure her. "But I feel like there is something else you want to say. There is a great ache to be elsewhere; it's been written on your face since last night. Tell me. I will listen. I owe you that much for saving my life."
 
I close my eyes trying to squelch the worry for T’riss. Who was to say that she wasn’t behind this attack. Was risking more lives to fancy her wanting to have T’riss here with me. She was like Pavel, powerful, influential, and wise. I remember the days when I gave T’riss her daily bath, the smell of the gardens, the scent of her. Her soft words that she always addressed others with, never rising her voice above what was required to get her message across. She would be the ultimate ally for Pavel, if only, if only she wasn’t the one behind this.

I fought back the tear, but was distracted when Pavel’s hand touched and squeezed my shoulder, the tear fell. “It is nothing, Pavel.” I tried to speak with the powerful tone that I had when I first arrived here. “There is one thing that needs to be addressed before we go to the Darkmere house. Agnoz’s hatred has to be dealt with. They will not tolerate his standoffish attitude toward them. It will be hard enough to keep things at a reasonable peace without his anger added into the fray.” I tried to stop the breaking up of my words, but my worry continued to grow with each passing moment.

“Did you want me to show you something?” I complete ignored his request for me to inform him of what was alienating me. I just didn’t want to walk his group into harms way. I can always take him to the Darkmere house, get them to work with Pavel and then I can go by myself to find out all there is to find out about T’riss. I just had to figure out a story to tell Pavel of why I’m leaving the group for a few days. It might seem like I am part of this treachery. Damn! I moan a little louder than I wanted. I had to think of something…
 
Something was eating at Alaun. He was sure of it now. She tried to mask the quiver in her voice, but she was worried sick about something. He listened as she laid out her concerns about Agnoz. She was right that he'd chafe at the idea of asking the Drow for aid. The larger worry as Sandrellys. As a worshipper of Shevarash, he was committed to battling the Drow wherever he found them. Still, he was confident that he would be able to get them to fall in line behind him.

"I will speak to him. I will share with him the wisdom of seeking aid from your people. He will see that you and your House recognize the threat and will be our ally in this fight." He saw he cheek glimmer slightly as she turned into the tent. He had wanted her to show where they would be going on the map, but now he had other questions.

"Whom do you shed tears for, Alaun? You're worried for someone you left behind, aren't you? Seeing this treachery first hand has you concerned that someone else, someone for whom you care deeply, is entangled in this web of deception as well. Am I correct?" He asked, gently taking herr by the shoulders and turning her to face him. "Show me your eyes, Alaun. Talk to me..." he said gently and softly.
 
I was relieved that he would take care of Agnoz before reaching the Darkmere house. It would be a really bad situation for all of us if he struck out at them or even hinted a threat toward them. They are the very core of Drow society with strength and numbers. In fact I’m surprised that any house in this area would falter their loyalty to mother being this close to them. Sandrellys wasn’t a worry for he seemed a little more in control of himself than Agnoz. He surely understood the chance of survival of this quest was now in the requirement of getting Drow assistance.

My eyes lowered when Pavel took a hold of my shoulders and squared me up to him. His soft voice was riddled with true concern over my discomfort. Something I couldn’t truly understand how he could be so forgiven of what I’ve done. My mind flashes over the dead, the look upon his face as he watched some of his companions being cut down. The despair in his eyes just moments ago, but yet here he is trying to comfort me in his time of need. Truly a good mark for the human race.

“Pavel, Why is my discomfort more important than yours? Only moments ago I witnessed your despair. All you did was take a deep breath and put on this I have to be strong for the others posture. I seen the pain in your eyes in the heat of battle. It doesn’t just go away after a day.” My wet orbs searches his now that he is this close. “Tell me of your pain, Tell me that you don’t have a hatred burning in your heart at this very moment. Can you do that?” My eyes continue to search his for that truth. “Stop putting others pain before you own. You have to be strong for this to work. This false sense of strength will not hold up to the strength of Bhaal. You know this and don’t tell my that you have time to regain the fire you had just a few days ago because you don’t. My pain is doesn’t matter, for I can not call for the aid of a god like you can. I thank you for your concern, but I need not your caring arm.” I lied to him for I knew I needed him, but his people needed him on matters of more importance.

I quickly turned from him and walked out of his tent. My posture not holding up as all of this has weakened my own inner strength. All.. All that I have trusted, believed in and respected gone in a blink of an eye. I have always thought use of treachery against your enemy was a mark of true craftsmanship but now that it has happened to me, I see the pain, the confusion, the death. It was so pointless, so cold. I slowly smirk at my weakness as I walk directionless through the camp. Wiping my eyes of the sign of my weakness. “You are Drow Alaun, start being one!” I couldn’t for the moment I tried my fake strength I focused upon T’riss, Pavel, and the death of his people brought back the true emotions that I was experiencing.
 
Back
Top