A question for anyone who knows the answer...

John Blackhawk

Literotica Guru
Joined
Oct 12, 2005
Posts
795
What's the name of the device used to pop out some weapon or another from underneath a sleeve in movies? It's probably attached to the forearm in some way and driven on either a spring or pneumatic cylinder. If it helps, the movie i think such a device was used on was "Desperado" and the weapon usually used was something in the 2 shot derringer family.
 
Dude, how in the hail could you think of this device and NOT mention the ultra classic user, James West? He absolutely personified that device.

James_West_Conrad_h4.jpg


James-West-Wild-Wild-West-Robert-Conrad-d.jpg


sleeve-gun-derringer.jpg



All of the references in the search call it a 'sleeve gun'.
 
The sleeve gun was developed during World War 2 by British Station 1X of the Special Operations Executive. Google it for further information.
 
It's generally called a sleeve holster (and the gun is usually called a sleeve gun). The sleeve holster was actually invented as a way to cheat at cards - there are no historical examples of them from the wild west period, though the design was later adapted in WWII for some actual functional models.

They have three types:

Gravity slide: The user pressed a bar and held the arm down and the object slid into the hand on a rail.

Spring slide: The user pressed a bar and a spring mechanism extended the object into the palm.

Drop slide: The user removed a safety pin and the object dropped out of the holster and they caught it. This was the most common type of gamblers rig because it is silent and very low profile. LOL - just don't miss the card/loaded dice/gun.

The one's you've most commonly seen, with the spring, are variations on the spring slide, and are pretty much an invention of Hollywood special effects for the cool factor.

During WWII the OSS and British Intelligence had prototypes, but they never worked well and they were not very hidden and I don't know if any of them were ever actually deployed in the field.
 
You can see one in the film "The Sheriff of Fractured Jaw" (Kenneth Moor, Jane Mansfield). It's quite amusing.
 
Dude, how in the hail could you think of this device and NOT mention the ultra classic user, James West? He absolutely personified that device.

James_West_Conrad_h4.jpg


James-West-Wild-Wild-West-Robert-Conrad-d.jpg


sleeve-gun-derringer.jpg



All of the references in the search call it a 'sleeve gun'.

Well i do apologize to you and any fans of this i offended, but in my defense i saw very little of the early Jim West series. I was literally born in the 1980's
 
Well i do apologize to you and any fans of this i offended, but in my defense i saw very little of the early Jim West series. I was literally born in the 1980's

If you can get it on disc or streaming, you should try to see more. I can't remember any other shows that mixed westerns with Bond style SciFi. The Adventures of Briscoe County, Jr. did some, but in a different way.
 
Well i do apologize to you and any fans of this i offended, but in my defense i saw very little of the early Jim West series. I was literally born in the 1980's

As a side note, James Conrad went on to portray Pappy Boyington in the tv series, Baa Baa Black Sheep which was based on a Marine air unit in World War II in the Pacific theater.

That show as also before your time. ;)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073961/
 
I’ve carried many guns in many ways. In real life, the only way this would work without printing is if you’re either carrying something with a tiny caliber and very limited capacity, or if you’re wearing Harry Potter robes. Those slide rigs are quite bulky.

I can’t think of a way you could fool anyone into thinking you’re not carrying something in your sleeve. There are probably 1,800 better ways to conceal a firearm.
 
As a side note, James Conrad went on to portray Pappy Boyington in the tv series, Baa Baa Black Sheep which was based on a Marine air unit in World War II in the Pacific theater.

That show as also before your time. ;)

Which also had Simon Oakland, Dirk Blocker, John Larroquette, Larry Manetti and a host of others.
 
I can’t think of a way you could fool anyone into thinking you’re not carrying something in your sleeve. There are probably 1,800 better ways to conceal a firearm.


It's fiction. 007 Bond SciFi stuff. If a writer wants to go that route here, cool.
 
Well since we're talking sleeve guns :)

There's Red Heat
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Red_Heat

This movie I actually remember...

And then there was Silverado, where Jeffery Goldblum used a sleeve holster to conceal a knife which is a more practical application for a sleeve holster i think.
 
Don't forget the Derringer in the belt buckle.

main-qimg-93c882bd75718842b9d55b6bd536dfcf


See, it's not necessary to have it up your sleeve.

If you want to go SciFi, put a high-powered laser in your character's index finger. (Yeah, they need a cable running from the power pack implanted in their shoulder.) Point and burn. Beats that bullet shit, easy.
 
Back
Top