The AH Recipe Book

Chilli Chicken

This is a family favourite - quick, easy and very tasty. Serve with boiled rice. Serves 5

Ingredients
A teaspoon of crushed dried chillis.
4 good-sized chicken breast fillets, skin removed, cuts into 1" cubes.
Around 6 Spring onions, sliced.
1" cube of root ginger, sliced into thin matchstick slivers (a teaspoon of preserved ginger will do).
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped.
One small bottle (around 175ml) of dark soy sauce, a similar amount of light soy sauce and of rice wine (dry sherry is fine, too).

A wok works best for this, but a deep frying pan will work as well. Heat a tablespoon or so of oil along with the chillis until the oil shimmers, but before the chillis start to burnt. Stir fry the chicken until it's cooked, then add the spring onions, garlic and ginger, and stir for another minute or so. Then add the soy sauces and sherry, bring to the boil and then summer for 2 or 3 minutes. Serve the meat on a bed of boiled rice, and spoon sauce on to taste.

Sorry, all my recipes are a bit fast and loose, but this is as exact as I can make it.
S

Made this tonight...well, I adjusted the quantities, as I am not cooking 4 chicken breasts at a time. And I made a side of stir-fried veggies to go with it.

It was very yummy! A nice bite to it. Thanks, Steve. :)
 
That does sound tasty. I like a good stir-fry (or variation thereof).

I'm making a shrimp pasta dish tonight. Still toying with the exact ingredients. If it comes out well, I may post a recipe later.
 
Made this tonight...well, I adjusted the quantities, as I am not cooking 4 chicken breasts at a time. And I made a side of stir-fried veggies to go with it.

It was very yummy! A nice bite to it. Thanks, Steve. :)

Me too :D

I always cook in industrial quantities - my boys are big eaters (I, of course, eat like a bird... :rolleyes:).

Did it look like this...?

attachment.php
 
Slut's French Toast

Mmm, I just made perfect French toast while flirting, er I mean chatting about important things, in Naked Party so I thought I would post the recipe.

I see the error of my ways now. (No, I don't mean the flirting! I was talking about important things, not flirting.) I used to try to be economical, and make several pieces of toast to the one egg - how slag-gish. But you need to use the whole egg for one slice, that's the slut way.

1 slice of thick white bread.
1 egg
Some milk (preferable Gold top - that's Jersey cow milk, yellowish with the extra cream in it)
A little bit of sugar ;)
Bit of butter

I forgot to put the salt in, it was delicious anyway and salt is not good for your :heart: so leave it out.

Put the egg in a dishy sort of bowl that you'll be able to fit the slice of bread in. Slosh in some milk and about a desertspoonfull of sugar. (I just cup my hand and shake some sugar into the palm but I can't write 'handful' for the quantity cuz my hand is quite little and yours might be big.) Mix it all up with a fork, make sure the sugar is at least partially mixed in not just sulking in the bottom of the bowl.

Put the bit of butter in your Le Creuset omelette pan on a medium-low gas flame.

Using the fork (to set your piglets a good example), slosh the slice of bread about in the eggy milky mix. Do this carefully as the bread will get wet and loose, and come. To bits if you don't treat it tenderly.

Meanwhile you will have been flirting, I mean blurting, on AH. You will suddenly realise the butter is getting quite sizzly and possibly brown (but not black, yuck yuck). You quickly slosh your bread and any remaining eggy milky mix into the pan.

After a brief further blurt or flirt, you flip the French toast over. The underside should be just becoming black and crispy looking. Do the other side for about the same length of flirty post.

Now take up your knife and fork and enjoy.

:nana:
 
MILF Shepherd’s Pie

The MILF of course relies on the High Priest of meat cooking: Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, for the basic Shepherd’s Pie recipe. Some adaptations have to made.

The MILF is so good at cooking Sunday roast that she often finds herself with very little, even no, leftovers. Even on weekends when stray pals of Piglet and the Fella have not mysteriously appeared at the table with their knives and forks at the ready. After many years of pleading, her butcher has finally understood that when she says: “There are three of us, but we are greedy,” she means GREEDY AS PIGS! and they will nowadays give her a whole animal suitably dressed but still ...

Instead of cooked meat from the joint, the MILF uses shoulder of lamb which she chops up into pea sized pieces as instructed and fries prior to the following. (About 350-400 g is enough. Yes, yes, of course the MILF is decimal :rolleyes:, you have to be decimal for international gold markets. Shoulder of lamb is cheaper than prime roasting joint anyway so you are quids in ;). Well, if there isn’t something labelled ‘shoulder of lamb’ lying around, just tell your butcher to give you some stewing lamb, and make sure s/he knows it’s for a Shepherd’s Pie. Smile winningly while doing so. A smile can be worth half a dozen free sausages, dahlink, do not be disparaging of a good smile on a miserable Monday morning;).)

Slosh a tablespoon or so of olive oil into a frying pan to fry the meat. While you’re frying the meat, chop up 2-3 onions, 2-3 carrots and a clove of garlic. (Yup, the maestro Hugh says less, but he does not have to pack vegetables into reluctant family members, does he now?)

When the meat is browned and tasty (LOL, of course you nick some and eat it while you’re cooking!), shovel it onto a plate and in the nice oily pan (add a bit more oil if you feel inclined), fry up the onions, carrots and garlic as Hugh instructs – till the carrots are a bit carmelised.

Add the meat and any gravy you managed to save. Also the tablespoon of ketchup and a sloshette of Worcester sauce. (You can add more later if it doesn’t taste right. LOL, of course you keep nicking tasty bits! Chef’s privilege ;).) The MILF is not usually able to add the glass of wine which Hugh recommends, as any half full bottles of wine she may have put aside can usually be found – empty – for her to put in the recycling bin in the morning :rolleyes:. So she adds a bit of water instead, just enough to make it slooshy.
While gently stewing the meat and veg together in the frying pan, boil up the potatoes – with a little salt - to make mash. (MILF tip: when the potatoes are boiled, drain them in a proper colander as this makes them fluffier. While they are draining, you can be forgetting to heat up the milk because you’re posting in the Naked Party lounge about how you’re cooking Shepherds Pie. It doesn’t matter, you can just mash the potatoes with cold milk, it doesn’t seem to make much difference.)

Put the meaty mix in a pie dish – or little individual pie dishes if you are having to cook three separate teas for cub scouts who arrive at your house at different times and a Fella who appears much later in the evening after important meetings (drinks) with senior colleagues (fellow Blades). Spread the mash on top of the meaty mix, fluff it up with a fork and put a bit of butter or some grated cheese on to make it crispy and crunchy. Chuck it in the oven at about Gas Mark 6 (yes the MILF does dream of an electric oven – work out the equivalent yourself or buy Hugh’s book, cheapskate!) for about 20-30 minutes (bit more if you providently made the pies much earlier and they are now cold).

Yum yum in my tum! They will always be coming back for more! (OK, yes next week. You can come back, cub scouts. I love you too.)
 
Piglet’s Special Pudding

Get your mum to buy some really good chocolate ice cream. Whine and moan a lot and distract her while shopping so she doesn’t notice that it’s not on a 2 for special price offer. Ben & Jerry’s Phish Food is best.

Get some old Easter eggs you have lying around. Break them up into your mum’s milk saucepan and get her to put in a tablespoon or so of milk, as you will undoubtedly slosh in half the bottle and she will go on and on in a boring way about what are you going to have for breakfast now. (Whatever!) Attempt to put the oven on a low heat, screaming for mum when the gas is pouring out and you still haven’t sufficiently pressed the lighter to get the flame going. Melt the chocolate on the low heat, stirring constantly. When it’s all melty, chastise mum for not yet having dished out the chocolate icecream. Pour hot melty chocolate over the icecream and eat only with BFF*s!!!

*Best Friend Forever

tumblr_lk14pxwEbB1qe8dz4o1_250.gif
 
A first attempt at Soup

Yes, I know that HP is not in the major (or any) league of food preparation, but I managed to actually DO IT and it tastes OK so far.



HP's Peculiar Soup


You will need:
1 Large saucepan, with lid.
1 Frying pan, with lid.
1 Food Mixer.
1 Glass Jug (at least 1L, and preferably 2L )
1 Wooden Spoon
1 Ladle

A microwave oven might also help.

[And something to put the resulting goo in.]


1 Large Potato
1 Large Carrot
2 decent fresh mushrooms
1 medium onion (slightly smaller than a cricket ball)
4 oz of lean beef (cut in small chunks)
2 OXO cubes
1 teaspoon Beef gravy mix
Salt & Pepper to taste
(Try using that LoSalt stuff; you won't need as much of it and its Potassium, not Sodium Chloride)

Method:
Peel & Slice the Potato and the Carrot
Put the slices in the saucepan and cover with water.
Set it to boil.
When boiling, turn down the heat to 'simmer'.
Add the salt
Cut up the mushrooms and add to the mixture.

Chop up the Onion.
Place it in a cereal bowl and cover with a little water.
Boil in the microwave oven for 2 x 1 minute times,
allowing the thing to cool slightly between heatings.

Add to the mixture.
Add the (Black) pepper; (just a touch!)
Add the gravy mixture and stir in thoroughly.
Add the Oxo cubes, ditto, stirring well

Let it simmer for half an hour or so

Into a frying pan, place a little butter and set on the heat.
Place the meat into the frying pan and put the lid on.
Shake it about now and again to get an even heat.
Cook 'till you're happy with the meat.

Add to the saucepan and heat for another 5 minutes on a low light.

Prepare the Food Mixer (mine's an old Kenwood thing).

Using the ladle, put the mixture into the Mixer and let it rip for about 2 minutes.
Place the resulting goo into the glass jug
Put the rest of the mixture into the mixer and repeat.

It should come out as a fairly thick, brownish mixture that tastes slightly savoury.

Allow to cool.
It can be frozen at need.

Defrost, heat and consume with a nice fresh bread roll.
:)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top