$15 Minimum Wage Causes Seattle Restaurants To Suffer Worse Job Loss Since Great Rece

Are you going to credit the sources or pretend this was your own words?

I guess you missed the links provided earlier in the thread.
It's true I neglected to post this one, but I didn't claim that they were my own. :cool:

I wasn't aware i was turning this in for a grade.
Since you asked so nicely. :rolleyes:
Here ya go. The report, as relayed by Ralph Nader.

Last edited:
It's true I neglected to post this one, but I didn't claim that they were my own. :cool:

maybe you need to get your head, out of your own ass ... and find a better job?

maybe you need to get your head, out of your own ass ... and find a better job?

Better than Assistant Director of Engineering for a company in Midtown Manhattan?

Why? The hours are good and the pay is more than enough to support my family.

You never have said what it is YOU do for a living NeverEndingWelfareQueen.
Don't worry, I don't really expect you to answer. Why would you? I'd be embarrassed too if I were a cashier at Walmart at your age.

With that, you have exhausted my tolerance for bone-jarring stupid for the day.

By the way, idiot: none of the people in your signature even post here, anymore. One never has. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
proof?

just because you wear tights ... only tells others you wanna play Army.

Carry on Catlin. Maybe you can have Bruce's balls?

Better than Assistant Director of Engineering for a company in Midtown Manhattan?

Why? The hours are good and the pay is more than enough to support my family.

You never have said what it is YOU do for a living NeverEndingWelfareQueen.
Don't worry, I don't really expect you to answer. Why would you? I'd be embarrassed too if I were a cashier at Walmart at your age.

With that, you have exhausted my tolerance for bone-jarring stupid for the day.

By the way, idiot: none of the people in your signature even post here, anymore. One never has. :rolleyes:

Now tell us the exact number of workers who have worked since 1968 and never advanced above the minimum wage.

Nice use of sarcastic emoticons in order to make it seem as if you didn't improperly quote someone else's work.

Now tell us the exact number of workers who have worked since 1968 and never advanced above the minimum wage.

Nice use of sarcastic emoticons in order to make it seem as if you didn't improperly quote someone else's work.

I wouldn't pretend to know.
It's doubtful that any one person was stuck in a minimum wage job for all of that time.

The hypothetical person referred to would actually be a composite of several workers over the time from 1968- present. Regardless, the end result is the same.

For the sake of argument over the course of 44 years perhaps 10 people worked at that minimum wage job. For the time period from 1969 to present that group of someones would have been paid, if the minimum wage had been tied to inflation (as it should be) just shy of $300,000 more in inflation-adjusted wages.

A worker making minimum wage in 1969 (adjusted to 2013 dollars) made just over $21,000 a year. A worker making minimum wage in 2013 brought home $15,000 dollars.

A CEO of that workers company compensation increased by 937% (adjusted for inflation) during the time period that the minimum wage workers compensation fell by 28% (also adjusted for inflation).

The inflation rate from 1969 to 2013 was roughly 546% using U.S.CPI data.

In 2013 according to the BLS: Among those paid by the hour, 1.5 million earned exactly the prevailing federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. About 1.8 million had wages below the federal minimum. Together, these 3.3 million workers with wages at or below the federal minimum made up 4.3 percent of all hourly paid workers.

Forget the below minimum wage earners, since they likely earn tips and came in at or above minimum wage in the end and there's no real easy way to know for certain how many made exactly the prevailing minimum wage of $7.25 per hour and how many made more.

1.5 million workers paid 7.25 per hour that would have been making ~$10.70 per hour in 2013 if the minimum wage had been tied to inflation. Even if those minimum wage workers were ALL working only 30 hours per week (so their employer could classify them part time and avoid providing benefits) that comes to $155,250,000 for 2013 alone... Without taking into account any of those tip earners that made only up to minimum wage and not over.

An extra $103.50 per week based on a 30 hour work week: $321 per week vs. the $217.50 they would make now (before taxes).

Last edited:
I wouldn't pretend to know.
It's doubtful that any one person was stuck in a minimum wage job for all of that time.

The hypothetical person referred to would actually be a composite of several workers over the time from 1968- present. Regardless, the end result is the same.

For the sake of argument over the course of 44 years perhaps 10 people worked at that minimum wage job. For the time period from 1969 to present that group of someones would have been paid, if the minimum wage had been tied to inflation (as it should be) just shy of $300,000 more in inflation-adjusted wages.

A worker making minimum wage in 1969 (adjusted to 2013 dollars) made just over $21,000 a year. A worker making minimum wage in 2013 brought home $15,000 dollars.

A CEO of that workers company compensation increased by 937% (adjusted for inflation) during the time period that the minimum wage workers compensation fell by 28% (also adjusted for inflation).

The inflation rate from 1969 to 2013 was roughly 546% using U.S.CPI data.

In 2013 according to the BLS: Among those paid by the hour, 1.5 million earned exactly the prevailing federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. About 1.8 million had wages below the federal minimum. Together, these 3.3 million workers with wages at or below the federal minimum made up 4.3 percent of all hourly paid workers.

Forget the below minimum wage earners, since they likely earn tips and came in at or above minimum wage in the end and there's no real way to know for certain how many made exactly the prevailing minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.

1.5 million workers paid 7.25 per hour that would have been making ~$10.70 per hour in 2013 if the minimum wage had been tied to inflation. Even if those minimum wage workers were ALL working only 30 hours per week (so their employer could classify them part time and avoid providing benefits) that comes to $155,250,000 for 2013 alone... Without taking into account any of those tip earners that made only up to minimum wage and not over.

An extra $103.50 per week based on a 30 hour work week: $321 per week vs. the $217.50 they would make now (before taxes).

Of course it matters. The point to a minimum wage job is it is by definition an entry level job one is not supposed to make a living with an entry level job one is supposed to gain experience and skills and become qualified to work in a job that pays a living wage.

I will be willing to bet that one of your overpaid CEOs had a first job that was minimum wage.

You completely don't get it there is no missing $103 from their paycheck. If the employer had to pay them an extra $103 right now their job may or may not even exist. If minimum wage did not exist their employer would likely pay them less at least for the first few weeks as they train. Given that minimum wage jobs do not go unfilled the market is telling you that that is what labor is worth.

If minimum wage did not exist teenagers especially minority teenagers would not have the high rates of unemployment that they currently do. Would your average teenager be thrilled to be working for 2 or 3 dollars per hour? Of course not, but what if I all the places teenagers hung out could cut their labor cost in half? Teenagers could then afford burgers and fries and movie tickets On 2-3 dollars per hour. Raising minimum wage raises the cost of everything a person making minimum wage buys and negates the value of getting a performance raise when your employer is forced to pay all of his employees at the bottom end of the skill experience and effort scale more than market wages. You are robbing the more productive employees to benefit the least productive.

If it was easy and expected the teenagers could find a low paying starter job it would be expected on your resume that at some point you worked your butt off for 2 or 3 dollars per hour. Great way to screen out lazy employees. As it is we have a generation of kids who haven't been able to find even a part time job and now I have masters degrees.

The market distortions of having a minimum wage harm the people that it's supposed to help far more than it helps them.

The often told anecdote about Henry Ford being interested in having employees who could afford his product misses the entire point. The reason he could afford to pay them well was not because he had a bunch of make work for them in hopes that he could give the money to buy products from him it was because of the advances that he made in management that enabled the high level of productivity of each worker to justify what he was paying them. If they were assembling Model T's one of the time by hand in individual garages his entire business would have failed at those wages.

I understand that QuikTrip pays very high wages for a convenience store / gas station. I go to those places frequently the people inside are friendly attractive very bright and very fast. I have never seen a lazy worker in there.. all of that would do them absolutely no good if there in two years were not as well designed as they are they have to cash registers and the possibility of for clerks cashiering at the same time. Simply hiring bright frost smart workers and paying them a lot of money would do them absolutely no good if they did not maximize those workers output.

Having an automatic raise for the laziest dumbest least skilled workers in America does not make them smarter faster or more productive.

The only reason that anyone cares about minimum wage and insist on the left that it be raised has absolutely nothing to do with the lowest workers who are hit hardest. It's nothing but a giveaway to unions who often have their pay indexed to the minimum wage.

Last edited:
Of course it matters. The point to a minimum wage job is it is by definition an entry level job one is not supposed to make a living with an entry level job one is supposed to gain experience and skills and Become qualified to work in a job that pays a living wage.

I will be willing to bet that one of your overpaid CEOs had a first job that was minimum wage.

You completely don't get it there is no missing $321 from their paycheck. If the employer had to pay them an extra $321 right now their job may or may not even exist. If minimum wage did not exist their employer would likely pay them less at least for the first few weeks as they train. Given that minimum wage jobs do not go unfilled the market is telling you that that is what labor is worth.

If minimum wage did not exist teenagers especially minority teenagers would not have the high rates of unemployment that they currently do. Would your average teenager be thrilled to be working for 2 or 3 dollars per hour? Of course not but what if I all the places teenagers hung out could cut their labor cost in half? Teenagers could then afford burgers and fries and movie tickets On 2-3 dollars per hour.

If it was easy and expected the teenagers could find a low paying starter job it would be expected on your resume that at some point you worked your butt off for 2 or 3 dollars per hour. Great way to screen out lazy employees. As it is we have a generation of kids who haven't been able to find even a part time job and now I have masters degrees.

The market distortions of having a minimum wage harm the people that it's supposed to help far more than it helps them.

The often told anecdote about Henry Ford being interested in having employees who could afford his product misses the entire point. The reason he could afford to pay them well was not because he had a bunch of make work for them in hopes that he could give the money to buy products from him it was because of the advances that he made in management that enabled the high level of productivity of each worker to justify what he was paying them. If they were assembling Model T's one of the time by hand in individual garages his entire business would have failed at those wages.

I understand that QuikTrip pays very high wages for a convenience store / gas station. I go to those places frequently the people inside are friendly attractive very bright and very fast. I have never seen a lazy worker in there.. all of that would do them absolutely no good if there in two years were not as well designed as they are they have to cash registers and the possibility of for clerks cashiering at the same time. Simply hiring bright frost smart workers and paying them a lot of money would do them absolutely no good if they did not maximize those workers output.

Having an automatic raise for the laziest dumbest least skilled workers in America does not make them smarter faster or more productive.

The only reason that anyone cares about minimum wage and insist on the left that it be raised has absolutely nothing to do with the lowest workers who are hit hardest. It's nothing but a giveaway to unions who often have their pay indexed to the minimum wage.

I'm not sure where you came up with an "extra" $321 per week. Probably the same place where you got that only teenagers work minimum wage jobs. $321 per week would be a 30 hour week at $10.70 per hour.

According to the BLS only half of minimum wage earners are under the age of 25. So much for the "teenager's job".

As for your "what if they could cut their labor costs in half".. never. going. to. happen.

Not to mention that labor costs are the second largest cost component to those burgers and fries. If you want to lower the cost of those burgers and fries you should be looking at global food prices, not labor.

Increasing the pay of fast food workers at McDonalds to $10 per hour would lead to a 9.7% increase in prices, increasing them to $15 per hour (more than doubling their rate of pay) would only increase prices by about 27% while keeping profits flat.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where you came up with an "extra" $321 per week. Probably the same place where you got that only teenagers work minimum wage jobs. $321 per week would be a 30 hour week at $10.70 per hour.

According to the BLS only half of minimum wage earners are under the age of 25. So much for the "teenager's job".

As for your "what if they could cut their labor costs in half".. never. going. to. happen.

Way to zero in on the least important typo. I corrected the egregious error which altered none of my point a whit.

"Only" half? It would be much higher and teenage unemployment would be lower without the coercive influence of minimum wage. Fully trained, experienced employees would not be making significantly less than they do now because those people making just above minimum wage are making what their employer feels is justified by how much money the employer can make with that employee. Parallel to KBate's point: the people working the minimum wage jobs this week (fully half of whom are under 25) are not the minimum wage earners of tomorrow. People not making a single cent over minimum wage are transient workers who have not gotten traction with an employer or choose not to put in time and experience with an employer. If you have stayed at a minimum wage job with no raise for any length of time, there is something wrong with you and/or your employer.

You keep acting as if the BLS numbers are not the result of the market distortions caused by the very idea of a "minimum" wage. Because there is a minimum wage, local shop keepers cannot employ teenagers in minor capacities like cart monkey, pin setter, bag-boy, bicycle delivery. sweeping the floors, hosing the parking lot, organizing the back-room. Every place you go time is wasted by customers because no one can afford to be fully staffed up for the rush hour all day long. Ever seen a grocery store with every register manned consistently?

Because they have to pay very close to what their maximum margin is for labor, they choose to employ what they hope will be a more responsible, more productive employee, so we have adults working in jobs that could easily be handled by one of the millions of unemployed teenagers who are gaining no experience, no work ethic and simply waiting their turn to work a menial job as an adult to get their foot in the door..

Because of these distortions, an adult is expected to do the work of two or three teenagers. Having fewer very low paying jobs means that the next tier pays less because there are so many people looking to move up a mere 50 cents an hour. The entire labor market is distorted by minimum wage.

I worked with some union Iron workers in the 80's who were complaining that they were "owed" more money because their previous automatic wage increases were stopped during the Carter Wage freezes. Never mind that the wage increases that they had gotten since were what they were.

This mythological $103 "owed" to an entry-level worker with zero experience, zero on the job training is based on inflation. Inflation is at the level it is, based on a number of historical events, including previous minimum wage hikes. Had their been other minimum wage hikes it is unknown how much more the inflation would be today but it would not possibly be less, so the demand would then be for an even higher wage than this additional $103 myth.

Minimum wage hikes are a dog chasing its tail.

Increasing the pay of fast food workers at McDonalds to $10 per hour would lead to a 9.7% increase in prices, increasing them to $15 per hour (more than doubling their rate of pay) would only increase prices by about 27% while keeping profits flat.

The sheer volume of easily debunked crap in these numbers you spew from people that obviously know nothing about business or economics, despite likely being "educated" or worse still "educators" in the field is staggering.

No business has the ability to raise prices 9.7%. If they felt they could raise prices .97% they would gleefully do so. You know why they don't? Because they have cash registers and computers and it is painfully and quickly obvious what happens to sales volume as you increase prices. You can nibble here and there, play games with loss-leaders, and bump your impulse buys but NO ONE has an untapped 9.7% profit that they are ignoring.

False premise piled on top of false premise, compounding ad infinitum.

"Only" increasing prices 27%? L-O-L.

Way to zero in on the least important typo. I corrected the egregious error which altered none of my point a whit.

"Only" half? It would be much higher and teenage unemployment would be lower without the coercive influence of minimum wage. Fully trained, experienced employees would not be making significantly less than they do now because those people making just above minimum wage are making what their employer feels is justified by how much money the employer can make with that employee. Parallel to KBate's point: the people working the minimum wage jobs this week (fully half of whom are under 25) are not the minimum wage earners of tomorrow. People not making a single cent over minimum wage are transient workers who have not gotten traction with an employer or choose not to put in time and experience with an employer. If you have stayed at a minimum wage job with no raise for any length of time, there is something wrong with you and/or your employer.

You keep acting as if the BLS numbers are not the result of the market distortions caused by the very idea of a "minimum" wage. Because there is a minimum wage, local shop keepers cannot employ teenagers in minor capacities like cart monkey, pin setter, bag-boy, bicycle delivery. sweeping the floors, hosing the parking lot, organizing the back-room. Every place you go time is wasted by customers because no one can afford to be fully staffed up for the rush hour all day long. Ever seen a grocery store with every register manned consistently?

Because they have to pay very close to what their maximum margin is for labor, they choose to employ what they hope will be a more responsible, more productive employee, so we have adults working in jobs that could easily be handled by one of the millions of unemployed teenagers who are gaining no experience, no work ethic and simply waiting their turn to work a menial job as an adult to get their foot in the door..

Because of these distortions, an adult is expected to do the work of two or three teenagers. Having fewer very low paying jobs means that the next tier pays less because there are so many people looking to move up a mere 50 cents an hour. The entire labor market is distorted by minimum wage.

If only all of those stupid lazy adults would vacate those minimum wage jobs they're working by choice..

If only we could abolish the minimum wage and bring those third world working conditions and child slave labor back..

If only.... A supply side utopia. :rolleyes:

You've managed to sum up every single bull shit talking point. I suppose I could thank you for confining it to a single post.

I've already debunked your "maximum margin for labor" talking point. For McDonalds to increase its wages for its employees to $10 per hour would mean a 9.7% price increase and keep exactly the same profit margin. So a $1 McDouble would cost $1.10.. Oh noes! :eek:

Last edited:
I worked with some union Iron workers in the 80's who were complaining that they were "owed" more money because their previous automatic wage increases were stopped during the Carter Wage freezes. Never mind that the wage increases that they had gotten since were what they were.

This mythological $103 "owed" to an entry-level worker with zero experience, zero on the job training is based on inflation. Inflation is at the level it is, based on a number of historical events, including previous minimum wage hikes. Had their been other minimum wage hikes it is unknown how much more the inflation would be today but it would not possibly be less, so the demand would then be for an even higher wage than this additional $103 myth.

Minimum wage hikes are a dog chasing its tail.

What a pant load. Inflation marches on independently of minimum wage increases.
Inflation since 1968 is over 580%.

Care to take a stab at how much minimum wages have increased in that time period? 480% and inflation just kept increasing between each increase in the minimum wage.

If only all of those stupid lazy adults would vacate those minimum wage jobs they're working by choice..

If only we could abolish the minimum wage and bring those third world working conditions and child slave labor back..

If only.... A supply side utopia. :rolleyes:

You've managed to sum up every single bull shit talking point. I suppose I could thank you for confining it to a single post.

I've already debunked your "maximum margin for labor" talking point. For McDonalds to increase its wages for its employees to $10 per hour would mean a 9.7% price increase and keep exactly the same profit margin. So a $1 McDouble would cost $1.10.. Oh noes! :eek:

If McDonalds COULD charge $1.10 they WOULD. The average ticket at McDonalds is $4.50 for cash buyers and $7 for credit/debit users.. You raise that to $5.01 and $7.70 and consumers become price resistant. It no longer "feels' that they are being thrifty which is why they went to McDonalds in the first place. They skip the high margin soda, they do not supersize their order, they consider a competitor like sub-way that is going to have lower spoilage costs because they cook nothing. They consider grabbing a premade burger at Quick-trip and popping it in the microwave. As consumers adjust even their McDonalds purchases to stay in their comfort level, the margins go down.

Why don't you take your genius ideas and suggest to McDonalds boardroom that they raise their prices 9.7% and expect to reap a 9.7% windfall with NO loss in volume? Write them a letter. I bet they never thought of that.

They have experts deciding whether to charge $3.96 or $3.98 for the Big Mac. They even factor in how a total "sounds" with regard to value, given local taxes.

If a quarter still bought a loaf of bread ADULTS would have jobs that paid a "living wage" doing things that require experience and skill that are NO LONGER DONE IN THE US because of idiotic monetary policy, regulatory and tax burdens and minimum wage. Inflating prices is DEVALUING your CURRENCY. Everyone likes a raise so inflation in wages FEELS like it is advancing the downtrodden but it isn't. It is simply pricing your citizens out of work. Every transaction has someone making a profit. Inflation BENEFITS the fat cats that you loathe.

The idea that ADULTS working at McDonalds is either necessary or desirable to sustain our economy is truly sad.

You obviously cannot get your head around the idea that inflation is the tail that wags the dog to disastrous consequences. At least you are not as poorly educated about economics to insist as Rob often did that a 3-4% inflation rate is not only normal but healthy and desirable.

Last edited:

Care to take a stab at how much minimum wages have increased in that time period? 480% and inflation just kept increasing between each increase in the minimum wage.

Doesn't make him wrong about wage hikes vs inflation being much like a dog chasing it's own tail.

So you "know" what you know, evidently.

I was QUITE specific when I parsed that sentence.

"based on a number of historical events, including previous minimum wage hikes"

At no point did I say that minimum wage is the EXCLUSIVE reason for inflation. Get together with your fellow Marxist economic theory fan, BoyNextDoor. He subscribes to the labor theory of value. If the labor theory of value has ANY validity, raising the cost of labor at the lowest level of value adding is going to be leveraged throughout the process.

You know what is a pantload? Suggesting that a business can raise its prices by an amount that is as high than most businesses operating profit margins. They would LOVE to earn consistently 9.7% profit return on expenses. You believe they could, right now, get nearly a 20% ROI. A million dollars in sales would be lucky to net $100,000 profit after all expenses. You are saying they just need to charge $1.10 for their LOSS LEADER items to suddenly return $197,000 on each million in gross sales.

As far as "Inflation just kept marching along" sure it did. in ebbs and flows based on the MANY historical events that impacted it, most of which had to do with some sort of bad government policy. Even if you charted it exactly to to the minimum wage hikes there is going to be a delay before those businesses are able to ratchet up their prices. First the business tightens its belt and waits for the consume to accept the "new normal" for other prices, then the prices go up. Inflation will always be a lagging indicator for artificial wage hikes.

I guess Carter should have just installed price controls to curb inflation and not simultaneously frozen wages? I'm sure that would have brought inflation to a screeching halt if wages continued to inflate while prices for goods were forced to remain constant. What could possibly go wrong with that?

Last edited:
$15 Minimum Wage Causes Seattle Restaurants To Suffer Worse Job Loss Since Great Recession

Screen Shot 2015-08-10 at 9.45.20 PM

We told them, but did they listen? No.

Via Daily Caller:

According to a report released Sunday by the American Enterprise Institute (AEI), the $15 minimum wage has caused Seattle restaurants to lose 1,000 jobs — the worst decline since the 2009 Great Recession.

“The loss of 1,000 restaurant jobs in May following the minimum wage increase in April was the largest one month job decline since a 1,300 drop in January 2009, again during the Great Recession,” AEI Scholar Mark J. Perry noted in the report.

The citywide minimum wage increase was passed in June of last year. The measure is designed to increase the city minimum wage gradually to $15 an hour by 2017. The first increase under the plan was to $11 an hour in April. According to the report, Seattle restaurants have already faced severe consequences as a result. In contrast, in the six years since the 2009 financial crisis, the industry has been recovering in areas without the $15 minimum wage.

Right wing talking point about "Great Seattle Job Loss" categorically debunked

Oopsie! Prices stable, unemployment down in Seattle after dastardly minimum wage hike.

Queerbait reportedly put on suicide watch.

#TheyLieSooooHard

I guess you are a fucking idiot that doesn't understand supply/demand. of course not, as you have no skin in the came

you are one of those obama people

I guess you are a fucking idiot that doesn't understand supply/demand. of course not, as you have no skin in the came

you are one of those obama people

Google "price elasticity" and feel the hot shame of your own ignorance, Jen.

Wages are just like any other commodity. Higher prices means fewer people will buy. This is Economics 101.

Too bad leftists don't understand that.

Google "price elasticity" and feel the hot shame of your own ignorance, Jen.

Elasticity is a measurement. Your statement makes no sense. It would be like having an argument on whether the weather will be warmer tomorrow and your response is "Thermometer. Google it!"

Prices for goods or services (AFTER studying the relevant variables) are described as being "elastic" (and to what extent) or "inelastic."

Goods and services that have a fair amount of price elastcity are generally limited by considerations of market share.

Elasticity is a measurement. Your statement makes no sense. It would be like having an argument on whether the weather will be warmer tomorrow and your response is "Thermometer. Google it!" Prices for goods or services (AFTER studying the relevant variables) are described as being "elastic" (and to what extent) or "inelastic." Goods and services that have a fair amount of price elastcity are generally limited by considerations of market share.

Miles continues to insist that prices "must" rise when the minimum wage increases. He is, of course, sadly mistaken.

I previously schooled your "off board bro" 4est_4est_Trump on the relative inelasticity of retail prices back in 2014. Have a look yourself or don't.

That's not an answer to higher wages. It's an answer to better tech being available. I applaud McDonalds going that route and as quickly as they can manage.

At this point it's been a year. Is Seattle in the shitter? Is it doing poorly by comparison to it's neighbors?

Back