The Crap We Watch

I'm rather surprised to see that my favourite import, NCIS, has not got much wordage. I think it is a very clever and well-performed show, and lately (for the UK, anyway) has had some damned good plots and interesting character development. And Cote de Pablo . . . . .

I've caught a few NCIS episodes here and there. I've always liked Mark Harmon since his days as Sam the Astronaut on Moonlighting. But this show was one of those I just didn't have time for. It does have an impressive following, however.


This was new to me. Thanks for posting it, Geronimo. ;)
 
Dry British comedy is so under-appreciated these days. Most Americans seem to prefer slap-in-the-face comedics which are conveniently explained to them at some point. There's a woeful dearth of appreciation for intelligent comedy that relies upon clever wordage.

Sad, it is, to be sure.
 
Sad, it is, to be sure.

As a kid, I never understood my grandfather's fascination with British comedy. As time went on, I realized I enjoyed the dryer, more cerebral forms. I actually lost a girlfriend over an argument concerning the comedy of "Dumb and Dumber" and how it catered to what I felt was the lowest common denominator.

Thankfully, my wife and I share a common interest in intelligent humor. ;)
 
We get a lot of that thanks to The Smoking Gun's World's Dumbest show. I have to admit that I laugh at most of it, but very little resonates or lingers with me.

i think you have to get familiar with all with the characters to properly appreciate it. i mean, trigger alone is comedy gold.
 

I've been in that bar. It was a real pub that was used as a stopping place for coaches on the way to and from a day out in Margate.

The reason it could be used for making that episode is that coaches on the way to and from Margate no longer needed to stop. The pub was too large for local trade and closed shortly after filming. It is now converted into apartments.
 
I've been seeing a few trailers for the new movie, The Purge, with Ethan Hawke. I like Hawke. I liked him in Daybreakers and in Sinister. This new one has an interesting premise. Apparently, in the not-too-distant future, there is a day set aside during which all activity which would normally be considered illegal is conversely considered legal. Drug use, rape, assault, even murder, it seems, are all unrestricted during the 24-hour time frame of the Purge.

This premise strikes me as something someone with a basic understanding (and only a basic understanding) in human psychology would come up with. I'm assuming the idea is to appeal to that "inner demon" in all of us that wants to go out and rape, kill, steal and beat the ever-lovin-crap out of someone else and get away with it. It's basically saying, we're all criminals at heart, and for one day out of the year, we get to act like it, free of charge.

Interesting concept. But it would never happen. Still, I have to wonder how many people would give in on that particular day out of the year. I mean, say your neighbor pisses you off when he cuts his grass and sprays all the mulched-up weeds into your yard. Add to that the way he's always ogled your wife, and said demeaning things about you to the other neighbors. Say you want to get even. So you wait until "Purge Day" and go over to his house and beat him to death. Hey, that'll make sure he never does any of that stuff again, right? And why not go for the extreme, since you won't be arrested for it?

I may actually see this in the theater, since I'll be interested to see how they tackle the various issues involved with such a premise. Unfortunately, I expect I'll probably be let down, since it seems, from the trailers, that The Purge takes such a provocative premise but boils it down to "one family's struggle against real evil."
 
Dry British comedy is so under-appreciated these days. Most Americans seem to prefer slap-in-the-face comedics which are conveniently explained to them at some point. There's a woeful dearth of appreciation for intelligent comedy that relies upon clever wordage.

If you have never heard of them, try some Flanders & Swann.

Or this one; Greensleeves

Probably the cleverest pair since the War.
 
I find it amusing that History Channel and H2 still periodically show pre-2012 apocalyptic shows. Obviously, the whole Mayan/Aztec/Hopi/Secret Bible/Etc. "end of the world" scenario did not happen last December.

But now they supplement it with more Nostradamus prophecy shows. It's almost as if they're preaching, "the end of the world is still coming! Damn it, the world is gonna end soon! LISTEN TO US!"

Why is there this contingency among humans that so ardently believes -- hell, I sometimes think a lot of them even hold out hope -- that this culture, this world, is about to end any moment now? I know we are innately self-destructive, but morbidly anticipating our own demise en masse?

My personal viewpoint: we are not happy with ourselves as whole, so we hope for something to come along and wipe the slate clean . . . provided we survive and prosper afterward, of course. A lot of people who anticipate the end of the world also anticipate they will still be around to record the aftermath.
 
I can still remember hearing my step-father say "Well never see 1989...world'll come to an end before then."

Then it was 1996,1999, 2000, and he's still going.
 
When I lived in the DC area, I saw many end-of-the-world signs and placards. I told a friend I'd only worry when two or more doomsayers agreed on a date.
 
Forgot to add my own current fave - the original Swedish TV series Wallander, with Krister Henriksson in the title role. Two seasons, 26 episodes and all of them great. Also liked some other Scandinavian TV shows from Netflix - The Eagle, The Protectors come to mind. Really like those brooding nordic crime dramas for some reason. Sorry, gotta go take my Zoloft now.
 
I can still remember hearing my step-father say "Well never see 1989...world'll come to an end before then."

Then it was 1996,1999, 2000, and he's still going.

Growing up in Germany as I did, with the Iron Curtain just a little drive to the east, my friends and I had our own little survival kits ready for the advent of WWIII. Mine was a denim jacket with extra pockets sewn in. I had everything in it: a survival knife, needles and thread, a WWII trench lighter, and all sorts of other crap. Damn thing must have weighed twenty pounds.

Then I moved to the states, and a couple years later the Wall came down. Don't know what happened to my "survival jacket." :p

When I lived in the DC area, I saw many end-of-the-world signs and placards. I told a friend I'd only worry when two or more doomsayers agreed on a date.

Aren't they more or less fixtures in the DC area? And in downtown New York?
 
Aren't they more or less fixtures in the DC area? And in downtown New York?

Yes, which is probably another reason I didn't find them all that threatening.

Looking at the thread topic, I just realized that when Game of Thrones ends its season this weekend I will have ... no scheduled shows to watch. Whoa.

To the DVDs!
 
Ripd

I've been seeing ads for this on the SyFy Channel. I'm no fan of Ryan Reynolds -- he strikes me as a sort of younger George Clooney but without the charisma -- but I love Jeff Bridges. He did an amazing job with his portrayal of Rooster Cogburn in the True Grit remake, achieving what a lot of people considered impossible. And in RIPD, it seems, he's somewhat poking fun at his western hero.

RIPD
 
Parenthood - near as good as Friday Night Lights, while being it’s own thing. It’s believable. And has a real nice balance between crippling dramatic situations and light-hearted humanity.

I watch a lot of Reality crap that would completely shit on any credibility I have if I listed it. But I guess I find it never ending interesting to witness and contemplate why people do what they do.

New Girl – hear me out on this before you bail.

I think I watched the first episode cuz I’m into chicks like Zooey Deschanel. And that was the end of that, it played like a zillion other 30min attempts to capture ‘careful’ comedy. Not my thing. (I’m more into Community… which is now RIP as far as I’m concerned.)

I kept reading about New Girl ‘finding its path’ so I eventually gave it another shot. Let my Tivo rack up maybe 15 episodes before I actually gave it a viewing. And let me tell you, I’m SO fucking glad I came back.

It’s well beyond the ‘quirky’ Zooey thing now. The other mates have their own lines which are all deliciously disparate and yet belonging within the unity of their ‘togetherness’. The writing itself is stupid genius. They have no issues at all slipping stuff in there that’s going to glide right past maybe 80% of the viewer base, stuff that you and I will hear and probably choke on it’s so intelligently funny (or else preposterously hilarious). The story lines are pretty fresh, at least as far as how they play out.

It’s not like any other sitcom I’ve given half a chance to the last few years. It doesn’t seem to care about that. Or if it does, it doesn’t look like it any longer. It ain’t afraid.

Most importantly, for ANY sitcom, I buy the interaction of those involved. They’re all unique together and yet they blend. And secretly, that’s what we all want, right? The idea that you can be yourself completely, and yet still gather among a group of people unlike yourself – and fit your finger in there like a glove, eh. Ain’t that why you’re here?

Trust me, it’s good stuff. You’ll have a good laugh, or several, every episode. And while you’re doing that, you’ll go, ‘Yeah… I belong.’

Give that a try. Some stupid shit is stupid good fun.



It seems I should give New Girl a second chance.
 
Dry British comedy is so under-appreciated these days. Most Americans seem to prefer slap-in-the-face comedics which are conveniently explained to them at some point. There's a woeful dearth of appreciation for intelligent comedy that relies upon clever wordage.


You get a lot of dry British comedy on PBS. I'm enjoying watching the whole Yes Minister series again.
 
Back
Top