Travel (closed)

Cole moved fast, he had spent time covering his tracks but as soon as he felt safe be discarded caution. Speed now was key. He ran, heading in the vague direction of the group and hoping. As darkness fell he slowed, not wanting to fall and damage himself but also knowing sound travels better in darkness, he crept silently forward, sensing he wasn't alone.

Then he saw her, Laura. She had slowed, stayed back to guard with a few others. Cole crept close then whistled as he closed, his hands raised 'its Cole' he hissed.
 
Laura turned at the sound of the whistle, reaching for an arrow from her back as other next to her raised their own weapons. It was Cole. She relaxed, but only some as they weren't out of the woods yet, figuratively and literally. They had several more days till they would reach wherever they were going...

She studied him as he moved to walk with the pack, he seemed to be relatively unharmed, at least in better shape than her father. "Everything okay?"
 
Cole smiled 'for now, but the raiders are occupied with something more dangerous. How is your father?' He stepped close touching Laura's arm. 'he's tough but we are going to need him healthy. I think things may get rough' Cole looked around, 'are you heading to higher ground? I would, there are caves to the north, we can use them, defend them for a time before we have to move again'

He let go of her arm and stepped past, Let's get to the group' he smiled
 
"More dangerous?" she questioned, before glancing to the front of the group at his asking of her dad. "I think he'll be fine. It seems to look worse than it is."

They continued walking, what little light was left from the sun now gone. It had been decided earlier that they would keep moving for as long as they could to put distance between them and the raiders. But if there was something else out there... "You seem to know the land better than some of our own. Perhaps you should make your suggestion to the others?"
 
Cole nodded 'I will, but it helps to have a respected voice agreeing with me. I know the area from before, we used to....' He trailed off and took a few steps in silence 'the caves are defendable and I think resting there will be good. You can see danger coming and it can't see you.'

He paused looking at her 'what did you do before? You seem strong and know your mind, was there a man?'

He looked carefully not wanting to offend her
 
"I was going to school for nursing, and just never really had the time for anything else." Laura shrugged her shoulders slightly. "I had a boyfriend, but he was feeling a bit neglected, I guess... And when all this happened, he disappeared. Not really sure what happened to him."

She grabbed his hand and pulled him with her as she made her way towards her father." Let's go tell them about the caves. I'm sure everyone would like to rest for the night, too."
 
Cole let Laura lead him, he explained his plan and described what he had seen. The things were not entirely new to him, he had seen one dead before. Surrounded by raiders and with meat still in it's jaws. The tattoo on the skin in it's mouth told him everything he needed to know about it's danger and the five dead raiders about how hard the things would be to kill.

The caves were a few hours away, half way up a nearby set of hills. Cole had camped there as a young man and knew the backs were solid and secure. He also knew that fires could be lit inside and not be seen from the path.

He helped some of the young and old along the way, never straying too far from Laura who he felt was an ally
 
Laura carried one of the younger ones on her back as they trudged on. She knew they were getting closer, but the caves still appeared so far away. She watched as Cole helped with some of the others who were struggling. He seemed to mold into the group quite well, gaining many of the others trust fairly quickly.

After what felt like an eternity, they made it to the caves. They were checked for animals and cleared of any imminent danger and they set up camp. Fires were made, children were put to sleep in makeshift beds.

The redhead leaned against a cave wall as she stood bear the opening, looking out at the view, moonlight softly illuminating the sky and the tree canopies that sprawled away from the caves.
 
The group settled quickly, food was prepared and sentries posted. Cole had pointed out the best places to place fires and helped some of the younger ones settle. As the food was prepared he gratefully accepted a share.

Laura was stood by the cave mouth, looking out into the night, Cole smiled as he approached, taking her a share of the warm food. 'its bewitching sometimes' he smiled as he approached and offered her the food 'The night can be so calm and beautiful. I remember watching and listening as a boy.' He looked at her, her features highlighted by the moonlight 'the animal sounds are what I miss, they have changed so much'
 
Laura accepted the bowl, "Thanks." She took a few bites as she looked back out at the night. It was oddly calm, barely a breeze blowing. There was the odd call of an owl, and a few crickets chirped off in the distance. But it was nothing like it used to be.

"One day it'll be normal again. It won't be the same, but it will be normal." She turned her gaze back to him and gave a small smile. "What did you do before?"
 
'Normal would be nicer he agreed. He ate his own food and smiled 'would you believe I was a cop? Ex military and a beat cop. I wanted to help people!' He laughed 'most people I met wanted to either kill me or avoid me! I guess it must be my sparkling personality' he smiled

'it would be good to find somewhere safe, to settle again. Forget the bad memories and build something' he looked at her 'what would you hope for?'
 
She continued to eat as he did. Ex military? Cop? Somehow that explained a lot, how he moved and did things.

Laura gave a shrug at his question. "I don't know..." She paused, thinking for a moment. "I guess a world where we don't have to be afraid of our own shadows anymore"
 
He nodded 'Wouldn't that be beautiful!' And he laughed.

For a while he just watched he, she was beautiful, someone strong, independent and caring. He paused, for the first time since the end he felt a bond to these people and in particular, this woman.

'Your father is a strong man' he smiled 'he is going to be fine, he saved my life' Cole blushed a little
 
Was he staring at her? Laura kept her eyes on the trees for a few moments till he commented on her father. "Oh I know he'll be fine, he's too stubborn not to be."

She gave a small laugh. "You better not let him hear you, he'll remind you in exaggerated detail of how he saved you," she said with a teasing tone.
 
Cole laughed 'He did that! It's probably won't be the last time he saves me either. He's a good man.' Cole stood and walked close, 'you should sleep. I'm on first watch at this cave so you'll probably be safer next door' he grinned. He took his gun from his pack, offering it to her 'for protection, I have the bow' he paused 'if the raiders come fight, if something else does save a bullet for yourself' he muttered
 
As exhausted as her body was from the trek they had already made, Laura knew she wouldn't be able to sleep. So much had happened, too many thoughts racing through her mind. At the least, it would be fitful and not restorative. She tossed and turned most nights anyway, insomnia getting the best of her usually.

"I doubt I'm really going to get much sleep," she admitted. The redhead hesitated before taking the gun offered to. "See you in the morning."
 
Cole watched her leave, feeling strangely lonely for the first time in a while. Her company was easy, he smile made him smile. He sat, looking out into the dark and watched, his hands checking the bow to make sure it was fit for a fight.

A few hours in Coles relief arrived and he made his way back into the cave, carefully he picked his way into the sleeping area and found his pack. All the while he looked for the red head, hoping to see he sleeping soundly
 
Laura tossed and turned for a long while. Partly due to her mind just not shutting off, and partly because the cave floor really just wasn't that comfortable. That combined with the chorus of various snores that sounded through the cave, it was just plain difficult to fall asleep.

Grumbling, she rolled from one side to the other and caught sight of Cole. She gave a small wave when his gaze fell on her, not wanting to greet him for fear of waking the others around her.
 
Cole smiled back and walked over, he sat beside her and smiled. 'can't sleep?' He whispered 'I'm not sure I can, too much going on' he looked down at her smiling. 'How long has your village been there?' He smiled
 
Laura sat up and stretched, her body sore from the uncomfortable cave floor.

She gave a shrug to his question. "Three, maybe four years?" She really wasn't sure. It was hard enough to keep the days and weeks straight, let alone know for certain what year it was anymore. "We'll build something better once we find a good place to settle down again."
 
He smiled 'I'm sure you will. I feel part of this' he blushed 'its been a while since I felt that. I've spent too much time wandering, I need to find a home again. I hadn't realised I missed that until tonight'

He looked in her eyes as he said it. 'sorry' he muttered 'its been a while since I opened up, I should probably get some rest before I burst into tears' he laughed, mischief in his eyes
 
"No, don't be sorry." She returned the smile and shook her head. "It's not healthy to keep everything to yourself." She absently redid the ponytail on her head as she spoke. "But get some sleep if you can. I'm sure we'll have a long day ahead of us tomorrow."
 
He smiled 'you should too' and headed back to his sleeping roll. As he lay there he watched the people, sleeping, talking quietly. Eventually he began to drift into sleep.
 
Morning light began to filter into the cave. They'd all survived the night. Slowly people stirred and woke, stretching the stiffness in their muscles away. What food was gathered was cooked over the fires that had been kept alive through the night, and everyone given a share.

Laura brought a bowl to Cole and set it down on the ground next to where he laid. "Morning sleepy head," she teased as she nudged him awake.
 
Cole felt the prodding hearing a voice and stirred smiling. As he sat up he smiled, taking the bowl. 'thank you! Be careful though I could get used to this' he winked. 'I'm going out to forage and scout today. I need to keep tabs on the raiders and find some supplies. You will be safe here in the caves for now.' His face had taken on a serious tone, during the night he had looked at some of the groups supplies, some of which would be running low very soon. 'there used to be a town nearby, I want to go and see if the old pharmacy has any supplies left.'
 
Back
Top