Your Food Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
:D:rose:

i'll be right over *grabs a spork*

what are they?

Saratoga chips were the original names for potato chips, or crisps as the English, Aussies, and Kiwis call them. They were created in Saratoga Springs, NY, by a Mohawk/African American chef when an obnoxious diner from NYC kept sending back his fried potatoes, as not being thin or crispy enough.

What was invented first ? Pommes soufflés, or Saratoga chips ? Chefs were under pressure to invent novel and new things for Louis XIV and his court to eat.

Were the pommes soufflés a happy accident ? Did the chef intend the fried slices to warm, not puff, when he put them into the hot oil for a second time ?

Or, were pommes soufflés deliberately and meticulously planned ?

Potato balloons, consisting of two potato chips.

Has to be the right potato, the right age, the right starch.
Has to be cut into the right shape, or it will not puff up.

The pommes soufflés that fail to transform into an air filled balloons, are potato chips.

Enterprising restaurants are now offering the “Kobe beef burger,” enticingly priced at near or above $100 a pop. And if there’s a better way to prove one’s total ignorance of all three words – Kobe, beef, and burger – this, my friends, is it. It’s the trifecta of dumb-ass. The Kobe experience is principally about the marbling, the even distribution of fat through lean. A hamburger is a bunch of lean beef thrown into a grinder with varying degrees of fat. If you are foolish enough to order a Kobe burger, you are entirely missing the point. Firstly, the fat will melt right out of the thing while cooking. Secondly, you are asking the chef to destroy the very textural notes for which Kobe is valued by smarter people. Thirdly, for an eight-ounce Kobe burger, you are paying for the chef to feed you all the outer fat and scrap bits he trimmed off the outside of his “real” Kobe so he can afford to serve properly trimmed steaks to wiser patrons who know what the hell they’re doing. And fourthly, you’re paying a hundred bucks for a freakin’ hamburger! Get over yourself! You’ve already established you’re too drunk and stupid to enjoy it in the first place.

— Anthony Bourdain on the absurdity of Kobe beef burgers (2012)

9280747ee2babeb48a428b213fe5cf9b825fee99_m.gif

Wife has walking pneumonia and "Exercise induced asthma" so it's her favorite take out:

TACO BELL

6996982443_723d2e637f_o__1_.0.jpg

Casual Meal in the West Village: Buvette

You can have a light meal at Jody Williams's West Village charmer, or a French-Italian feast. For breakfast, consider order a tartine, or the steamed eggs with prosciutto. At dinner, make sure to get the beef tartare, the shaved Brussels sprouts, and the country pâté . This is the rare small plates restaurant where you don't feel like you're getting fleeced. 42 Grove St., no phone.

Skipped the dinner, eating at home and watching the last Doc Martin, at least I think it is.
Flat iron steak, mini dutch potatoes and cucumber, tomato and sheep feta Greek salad.

Something Apple for dessert, I have decided yet.

Last edited:
I know exactly what that is :D
Looks fantastic! Did you flavour it with anything?

Not this time. Hubs prefers if I just make the plain French bread version and this was made at his request.
I stopped baking bread during the summer. I just couldn't stand the heat from the oven, so the first couple didn't turn out quite right. Thankfully now we're back on track. :D

Not this time. Hubs prefers if I just make the plain French bread version and this was made at his request.
I stopped baking bread during the summer. I just couldn't stand the heat from the oven, so the first couple didn't turn out quite right. Thankfully now we're back on track. :D

You and me both, sister :l
I had no desire to crank my oven to 450 when it was 100 degrees outside!!
I am already back at it as well, though :D
:heart: Bread!

Craving Haagen Daz Honey Vanilla ice cream, today.
The weather promises a hard freeze for tonight.

New England loves ice cream, during a snowy and icy winter.

Eating the last of the salad before it becomes just soup, stews and roast season.

Greek salad with sheep feta, tomatoes, chicken and cucumbers. Small Dutch potatoes and broccoli. Might be going out for dessert.

Enterprising restaurants are now offering the “Kobe beef burger,” enticingly priced at near or above $100 a pop. And if there’s a better way to prove one’s total ignorance of all three words – Kobe, beef, and burger – this, my friends, is it. It’s the trifecta of dumb-ass. The Kobe experience is principally about the marbling, the even distribution of fat through lean. A hamburger is a bunch of lean beef thrown into a grinder with varying degrees of fat. If you are foolish enough to order a Kobe burger, you are entirely missing the point. Firstly, the fat will melt right out of the thing while cooking. Secondly, you are asking the chef to destroy the very textural notes for which Kobe is valued by smarter people. Thirdly, for an eight-ounce Kobe burger, you are paying for the chef to feed you all the outer fat and scrap bits he trimmed off the outside of his “real” Kobe so he can afford to serve properly trimmed steaks to wiser patrons who know what the hell they’re doing. And fourthly, you’re paying a hundred bucks for a freakin’ hamburger! Get over yourself! You’ve already established you’re too drunk and stupid to enjoy it in the first place.

— Anthony Bourdain on the absurdity of Kobe beef burgers (2012)

I have had Kobe beef in Vegas at Craftsteak in the MGM Grand. It was very rich, I couldn't finish it, but my dinner partner helped me. It was very good, but not $98 good, luckily we weren't paying.

I have had Kobe beef in Vegas at Craftsteak in the MGM Grand. It was very rich, I couldn't finish it, but my dinner partner helped me. It was very good, but not $98 good, luckily we weren't paying.

I really cant imagine anything better than a good ol Iowa fresh beef ribeye... I'll be more than willing to research tho.

Prior to 2012, Kobe beef was not exported. The first exports, in January 2012, were to Macau, then to Hong Kong in July 2012.[15] Since then, exports have also been made to the United States, Singapore, Thailand[16] and one chef in Canada.[17]

In the US - there's only a few hundred pounds of Kobe beef imported per year.

Prior to 2012, Kobe beef was not exported. The first exports, in January 2012, were to Macau, then to Hong Kong in July 2012.[15] Since then, exports have also been made to the United States, Singapore, Thailand[16] and one chef in Canada.[17]

In the US - there's only a few hundred pounds of Kobe beef imported per year.

Isn't Wagyu beef similar to Kobe? I have absolutely no clue what the subtle nuances are...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back