Reading Books For Pleasure

Great! Any titles you can share?

Reading non-fiction at the moment. Need to get back to it. Spend less time in chat.

My latest reads are:

Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, Book 2) by Brandon Sanderson

and

Night of the ZomBEEs
: A Zombie novel with Buzz by Kevin David Anderson

Both get a 4/5 from me for very different reasons except one, they both were enjoyable for me to read.

:rose:
 
Come Rain or Come Shine by Jan Karon, a little over the top religious but still made me feel like it was a safe fantasy.

:rose:
 
Just finished Clive Cussler's The Navigator.

I enjoy his NUMA novels for the blend of history, action, & his characters. This particular book was a fascinating weave incorporating King Solomon, the Queen of Sheba, Thomas Jefferson, icebergs, smuggling, the hunt for gold, & jousting.
 
Day Shift (Midnight, Texas #2) by Charlaine Harris 4/5

Everyone's a Aliebn When Ur a Aliebn Too: A Book by Jomny Sun 4.5/5

The Harrows of Spring (World Made by Hand #4) by James Howard Kunstler 4.5/5

Upside-Down Magic (Upside-Down Magic #1) by Sarah Mlynowski 4/5

Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles #4) by Kevin Hearne 4/5

Dexter Is Dead (Dexter #8) by Jeff Lindsay 4/5
 
The Girl Who Takes an Eye For an Eye.

Because I can't seem to get enough of Lisbeth Solander.:)
 
Whispers Under Ground (Peter Grant #3) by Ben Aaronovitch Love this urban supernatural series set in London. 4/5

Off The Grid (Joe Pickett, #16 ) by C.J. Box There is something about these books that bring me peace and goodness even though bad things do happen. 5/5

Burn (Anna Pigeon, #16) by Nevada Barr I'd read this one before and was dissappointed in it. It's a bit disjointed though the location, New Orleans one of my favs for books. 3/5

Valoria's Honor
(The Guardian Vambrace, #2) by H. Jane Harrington An author new to me, self published but really good fantasy. 5/5

The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henriquez Glad I read it. Didn't love it but feel like I learned a lot. 3/5

Assassin's Fate (The Fitz and the Fool, #3) by Robin Hobb For me this was a tour de force connecting all the worlds except the Soldier's Son trilogy to this point. I was happy with the ending. 5/5

Reclaiming Conversation: The Power of Talk in a Digital Age by Sherry Turkle 4.5 Didn't read all of this one just due to time and preaching to the choir. I've taken a lot of trips this year. Had few, if any electronics, and I think we all need that sort of break from being "connected" yet really not.

Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman 1/5 Couldn't get into it. Lot's of my group enjoyed it though.

Never One of Them: Growing Up With Autism by Lance King 3/5 Interesting and yet not compelling. Possibly useful and empathy building for those of us dealing with these issues.

I think I didn't read past the second one. How many are there now?

The Girl Who Takes an Eye For an Eye.

Because I can't seem to get enough of Lisbeth Solander.:)
 
The Story Hour by Thrity Umrigar 3/5 Strangely compelling even though I didn't like or pull for any of the characters in it.

Shunatar's Folly (The Guardian Vambrace #3) by H. Jane Harrington 4/5 Great fantasy series and yes, I want more.

American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang 3/5 This graphic novel felt very light although I was happy with the monkey king parts of it. As a memoir it left a lot to be desired next to more compelling and meatier works like Persepolis, March 1-3 and Stitches.

The Velveteen Daughter by Laurel Davis Huber 4/5 Fascinating novel about the real life author of The Velveteen Rabbit and her family including her artist, prodigy, daughter who suffered from mental illness.

Eye to the Sky: Storytelling on the Edge of Magic by Bobby Norfolk 4/5 Wonderful learning about one of my favorite storytellers who is also vegan, a great nature lover and world traveler.

The Awkward Thoughts of W. Kamau Bell: Tales of a 6' 4", African American, Heterosexual, Cisgender, Left-Leaning, Asthmatic, Black and Proud Blerd, Mama's Boy, Dad, and Stand-Up Comedian by W. Kamau Bell 4/5 I'm learning a lot from Bell and enjoying it. Now I'm watching his United Shades of America show as well.
 
I'm struggling with my reading challenge and I don't think I'll be able to finish it.

I've read a lot this year, but I should have been a lot more strategic about which books to pick. I've chosen big, heavy ones, as is my tendency, and it often takes me more than a week to finish one. And in between I've read some light "snack books", but they rarely fit anywhere in the challenge.

I'm so bad at this. :rolleyes:
 
Sorry to hear this. IMO, the most important thing is just enjoying reading. *hugs*

Flashback by Dan Simmons 2/5 I was told this was a dystopian sci fi thriller. I was not told it was riddled with racist terms and right wing political rants. The thriller part was decent and if the book was edited down to about 1/2 with the racism and right wing stuff taken out I might have really liked it. For sure it would have been a tighter thriller.

Return From Witch Mountain by Alexander Key 4/5 Fun, juvenile novel and naturally better than the movies spawned by it.

Breakfast with Buddha by Roland Merullo 4/5 Kind of odd, thoughtful and fun odd buddy, road trip, spiritual awakening novel.

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life by Mark Manson 1/5 Sadly not anywhere near as good as F*ck Feelings which was excellent. This guy, Mark Manson is pretty impressed with himself and willing to tell you "truths" you've already heard.

Don't Kill The Messenger (Messenger #1) by Eileen Rendahl 4/5 Did not read like an urban supernatural romance but rather like a good urban supernatural book with some (hot) romance in it. I want more please!

Preludes & Nocturnes (The Sandman #1) by Neil Gaiman 1/5 I tried again. I really did. But no. This book is just not to my taste. No one to pull for. When the Justice League had one of the objects of power that the sandman had lost I was just done.

I'm struggling with my reading challenge and I don't think I'll be able to finish it.

I've read a lot this year, but I should have been a lot more strategic about which books to pick. I've chosen big, heavy ones, as is my tendency, and it often takes me more than a week to finish one. And in between I've read some light "snack books", but they rarely fit anywhere in the challenge.

I'm so bad at this. :rolleyes:
 
Last edited:
I finished the reading challenge!

The first 4 months or so it felt like it would be a breeze, then things happened, I fell behind, I chose bad books, more things happened, I fell even further behind...

But I finally finished it! I'm so happy! Never fucking doing this again.
 
Woo hoo! Good for you!

Too much pressure to do it again eh?

I get it.

I finished the reading challenge!

The first 4 months or so it felt like it would be a breeze, then things happened, I fell behind, I chose bad books, more things happened, I fell even further behind...

But I finally finished it! I'm so happy! Never fucking doing this again.
 
Touch by Courtney Maum 4/5 At first this book was a little odd to me but I was intrigued by the idea of a trend forecaster so I continued reading. The book got tighter and I loved the eventual trend that was forecast-ed and agree with it. Glad I read it!

105.) A Path Appears: Transforming Lives, Creating Opportunity by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn 4/5 This book is almost a must read for those who plan to work in the non profit sector. For any of us that want to make the world a better place it provides tons of interesting ideas, measurements and more. So glad I read it.

106.) Miss Julia to the Rescue (Miss Julia #13) by Ann B. Ross 5/5 Miss Julia is one of those series that seems cozy, warm and safe. Love each one! Will continue reading.

December

107.) Dreidels on the Brain by Joel Ben Izzy 4/5 (Juvenile Novel 11) Really loved this one as it told about Jewish traditions, and things like so many christmas songs and who wrote them and much more.

108.) So You've Been Publicly Shamed by Jon Ronson 4/5 Ronson who also wrote The Psychopath Test has researched shame and recovery from shame from so many different angles. I really enjoyed reading and thinking on these things. I think shame is very toxic for our society and woven too deeply. It's only useful when it brings about positive change. With so much cyber bullying this book is really presented at a good time, IMO

109.) Christmas Bliss (Weezie and Bebe Mysteries, #4) by Mary Kay Andrews 4/5 This follow up to Blue Christmas which I also enjoyed makes me want to go live on a barrier island with kooky and warm people.

110.) Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King 4/5 (The Guardians, #1) by William Joyce Really interesting take on the way that Santa became Santa although not completely told in this first volume. Glad I read it.

111.) Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1) by Kiersten White 4/5 A Y.A. book that says it's a romance. I'm not into romances but I do like this book and will read further in the series due to the urban supernatural elements and unique take it has on them.

112.) The Geek Feminist Revolution by Kameron Hurley 4/5 I'm not usually a fan of essays and at first this book didn't sing to me. Eventually I was totally taken with the book, how it made me think, the things it reveals and the way it resonated with me. So glad I read this one. Will be trying some of Hurley's feminist Sci Fi in 2018. Again, this book is not to be missed by feminist of all genders and/or people who want to make the world a better, more socially just and inclusive place.

113.) A Very Fort Christmas (As The World Dies Untold Tales #5) by Rhiannon Frater 4/5 The good: I adore everything I've ever read by Rhiannon Frater. The Bad: Was only 85 pages. The Ugly: I want more please!!!

114.) Firefly Hollow by Alison McGhee (Juvenile Novel 13) 4/5 Sweet juvenile books with lovely illustrations and life view. Aww!


115.) When Autumn Leaves by Amy S. Foster 4/5 Okay, damn it, why can't I live on a magical barrier island with other magical people? Huh? Why!

I hope this becomes a continuing series. I want more! Will try some of Fosters, Sci Fi in 2018 while I wait.
 
Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow

Young Jane Young by Gabrielle Zevin

The Okinawa Program: How the World's Longest-Lived People Achieve Everlasting Health--And How You Can Too by Bradley J. Willcox

Before Adam by Jack London
 
Here I present my 5/5 reads of 2018 (so far)

Shattered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #7) by Kevin Hearne

Miss Julia Stirs Up Trouble by Ann B. Ross

All Our Wrong Todays by Elan Mastai

The Kitchen Daughter by Jael McHenry

Flex ('Mancer, #1) by Ferrett Steinmetz

Saint Odd (Odd Thomas, #7) by Dean Koontz

Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow
 
Now for the least favs:

A Field Guide to Lucid Dreaming: Mastering the Art of Oneironautics by Dylan Tuccillo 1/5

The Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America's Most Imaginative Chefs by Karen Page 1/5

Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann 1/5

The Plant Paradox: The Hidden Dangers in "Healthy" Foods That Cause Disease and Weight Gain by Steven R. Gundry 1/5

The Witches of Eastwick (Eastwick #1) by John Updike 1/5
 
Just started reading Nice Dragons Finish Last by Rachel Aaron. Pretty hilarious observations and dialogue and I'm only in the second chapter.
 
Reading Books for Pleasure

Yes I feel the same way about some books. You just don't want them to end.
 
Added to my TBR queue on goodreads. Thanks!

Just started reading Nice Dragons Finish Last by Rachel Aaron. Pretty hilarious observations and dialogue and I'm only in the second chapter.

Yes!

Yes I feel the same way about some books. You just don't want them to end.

One of mine too and one of my greatest drives. The best part is I need no one else to enjoy it! Though it's best with a purring cat in my lap at the beach . . .

Reading is my greatest joy.
 
I'm going to read the Harry Potter books. It'll be my next year's book project, because I for sure don't want to do the reading challenge again.

Although I did briefly consider it. It's good that this thread was bumped, because now I remember vividly the pain and horror I felt desperately trying to finish it in the last weeks of December! Yeah, not going to do it.

I've never read the Harry Potter books before, save for the first one which I had to read for an English class in high school, nor have I seen the movies. Should be interesting. And up my crossword game a couple of notches! :D
 
I went to pick up the first HP book in the library to get a head start on my next years Harry Potter project, and saw Michelle Obama's Becoming sitting on the shelf there.

I never particularly wanted to read it, but it was right there, so I thought I'd give it a go.

And I'm loving it! The writing is really engaging and for someone who's not in the least familiar what the lives of (some) black people in Chicago in the 60s looked like what she describes is utterly fascinating. Such a vivid picture into a reality that's so different from what I've ever experienced. It's also a little heartbreaking at times. And makes me want to learn so much more about it all.
 
I'm dying to read Becoming! I have it on hold. Also have just gotten Hope Never Dies an Obama / Biden mystery! Squee!
I went to pick up the first HP book in the library to get a head start on my next years Harry Potter project, and saw Michelle Obama's Becoming sitting on the shelf there.

I never particularly wanted to read it, but it was right there, so I thought I'd give it a go.

And I'm loving it! The writing is really engaging and for someone who's not in the least familiar what the lives of (some) black people in Chicago in the 60s looked like what she describes is utterly fascinating. Such a vivid picture into a reality that's so different from what I've ever experienced. It's also a little heartbreaking at times. And makes me want to learn so much more about it all.
 
Back
Top