Old 09-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #1251
Dixon Carter Lee
Headliner
 
Dixon Carter Lee's Avatar
 
Dixon Carter Lee is offline
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: NYC
Posts: 48,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryharder62 View Post
I live in reality. I just choose to try to do something to make it better.
No one cares that you're nice to whales. I am, too. Prove your amazing claim that God exists. Please.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #1252
CHNOPS
Loves amps
 
CHNOPS's Avatar
 
CHNOPS is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieSnob View Post
I love this thread. Why do I love it? It's like watching dogs chasing their own tails.

Well that and my favorite moron showed up.
That was a nasty swipe at me out of nowhere.
__________________
Member: Rockers Against Rockers Having Causes (RARHC)
The work they do is very important. Please join now.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #1253
Tryharder62
Goodbye Girl!
 
Tryharder62's Avatar
 
Tryharder62 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: La-la land!
Posts: 11,084
Three tests can be applied to the bible to see if it exhibits characteristics of a divine book that is without error. 1. External evidence 2. Internal evidence 3. Bible prophecy.

External evidence from both archeology and non-Christian writers confirms that the Bible - Both the Old and New Testaments - is a trustwrothy historical document. Archeologist Joseph Free has said that "Archeology has confirmed countless passages which has had been rejected by critics as unhistorical or contrary to known facts." Renowned Jewish Archeologist Nelson Gluek confidently said that "It may be stated categorically that no archeological discovery has ever controverted a biblical reference."

Examples: Some scolars said that Moses couldn't have written the first five books of the Bible because writing was largely unknown in his day. Then, archeology proved otherwise by the discovery of many other written codes of the periods: the code of Hammurabi, he Lipit-Ishtar code and the laws of Eshnunna.

Another example: Critics used to say that the biblical description of the Hittite Empire was wrong because the Hittite Empire (they thought) didn't even exist? Then archeologists discovered the Hittite Capital in 1906 and discovered that the Hittite's were actually a very vast and prominent civilization. Archeological and linguistic evidence is increaslingly pointing to the 6th century B.C date for the book of Daniel, in spite of many critics who attempt to late-date Daniel and make it a prophecy after the detailed events it predicts.

For the New Testament, Dr. G.R Habernas points out that within 110 years of Christ's crucifixion, approximately eighteen non-Christian sources mention more that "One hundred facts, beliefs, and teachings from the life of Christ and Early Christendom." These Items mention almost every major detail Of Jesus' life, including miracles, the Resurection, and His claims to diety." Sir William Ramsey, one of the greatest archeologists to ever live, demonstrated that Luke made no mistakes in refereces to 32 countries, 54 cities and 9 islands.


The internal evidents test reveals the bibles amazing consistency. The Bible was written by over 40 authors, in 3 languages, on 3 continents, over a span of 1500 years and covers hundreds of controversial subjects, Yet, the authors all spoke with agreement. From Genesis to Revelation, there is one unfolding story--God's redemption of mankind.

Finally prophecy. See Josh McDowells book evidence that demands a verdict. There are hundreds of specific prophecies in the bible that have been literally fullfilled, In some cases centuries after the completion of the Bible. Some prophecies fullfilled by Jesus are Micah 5:2, which revealed where He was born; Isaiah 53 detailing his suffering, work at the cross and ressurection. Psalm 22 is a striking prophecy of his crucifiction.

Lastly. How can we know whether or not the Bible we have today is the same as what was written? The discovery of the Dead Sea Scroll, which date from 200 B.C to AD 68 included a copy of every Old Testament book except for one. Comparison with the texts of a thousand years later shows little or no vatiation and change beetween them.

Had to go pick up my kids
__________________
The real trouble with reality is that there is no background music.
What if the hokey pokey is what it's all about?
__________________
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #1254
Tryharder62
Goodbye Girl!
 
Tryharder62's Avatar
 
Tryharder62 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: La-la land!
Posts: 11,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon Carter Lee View Post
No one cares that you're nice to whales. I am, too. Prove your amazing claim that God exists. Please.
See you really don't know me. I am kind of mean to whales. I just ignore them because they are huge and might not have been taught by their mother to "Not touch." I have to be hurting their feelings.
__________________
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #1255
IndieSnob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I'll let someone else pick out all the logical fallacies in that.

I'll even prove it.

Now go to work, DCL.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #1256
phrodeau
Literotica Guru
 
phrodeau's Avatar
 
phrodeau is offline
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hobbiton, The Shire (away on business)
Posts: 62,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryharder62 View Post
Three tests can be applied to the bible to see if it exhibits characteristics of a divine book that is without error. 1. External evidence 2. Internal evidence 3. Bible prophecy.

External evidence from both archeology and non-Christian writers confirms that the Bible - Both the Old and New Testaments - is a trustwrothy historical document. Archeologist Joseph Free has said that "Archeology has confirmed countless passages which has had been rejected by critics as unhistorical or contrary to known facts." Renowned Jewish Archeologist Nelson Gluek confidently said that "It may be stated categorically that no archeological discovery has ever controverted a biblical reference."

Examples: Some scolars said that Moses couldn't have written the first five books of the Bible because writing was largely unknown in his day. Then, archeology proved otherwise by the discovery of many other written codes of the periods: the code of Hammurabi, he Lipit-Ishtar code and the laws of Eshnunna.

Another example: Critics used to say that the biblical description of the Hittite Empire was wrong because the Hittite Empire (they thought) didn't even exist? Then archeologists discovered the Hittite Capital in 1906 and discovered that the Hittite's were actually a very vast and prominent civilization. Archeological and linguistic evidence is increaslingly pointing to the 6th century B.C date for the book of Daniel, in spite of many critics who attempt to late-date Daniel and make it a prophecy after the detailed events it predicts.

For the New Testament, Dr. G.R Habernas points out that within 110 years of Christ's crucifixion, approximately eighteen non-Christian sources mention more that "One hundred facts, beliefs, and teachings from the life of Christ and Early Christendom." These Items mention almost every major detail Of Jesus' life, including miracles, the Resurection, and His claims to diety." Sir William Ramsey, one of the greatest archeologists to ever live, demonstrated that Luke made no mistakes in refereces to 32 countries, 54 cities and 9 islands.


The internal evidents test reveals the bibles amazing consistency. The Bible was written by over 40 authors, in 3 languages, on 3 continents, over a span of 1500 years and covers hundreds of controversial subjects, Yet, the authors all spoke with agreement. From Genesis to Revelation, there is one unfolding story--God's redemption of mankind.

Finally prophecy. See Josh McDowells book evidence that demands a verdict. There are hundreds of specific prophecies in the bible that have been literally fullfilled, In some cases centuries after the completion of the Bible. Some prophecies fullfilled by Jesus are Micah 5:2, which revealed where He was born; Isaiah 53 detailing his suffering, work at the cross and ressurection. Psalm 22 is a striking prophecy of his crucifiction.

Lastly. How can we know whether or not the Bible we have today is the same as what was written? The discovery of the Dead Sea Scroll, which date from 200 B.C to AD 68 included a copy of every Old Testament book except for one. Comparison with the texts of a thousand years later shows little or no vatiation and change beetween them.

Had to go pick up my kids
__________________
The real trouble with reality is that there is no background music.
What if the hokey pokey is what it's all about?
How many sons did Abraham have?
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #1257
VaticanAssassin
God Mod
 
VaticanAssassin's Avatar
 
VaticanAssassin is offline
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: On the edge of a mountain, in the desert, overlooking the ocean.
Posts: 13,292
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6NP...eature=related
__________________
And now for the disclaimer: If you're easily offended, do not read my posts. If you don't think jokes about minorities, gays, politicians, religion, celebrities, athletes, etc. are funny, do not read my posts. If you find cursing distasteful, fucking Do not read my posts. If you read my posts, and then tell me you're offended, then you can go eat a bag of dicks cuz you shoulda heeded my disclaimer

  Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #1258
Tryharder62
Goodbye Girl!
 
Tryharder62's Avatar
 
Tryharder62 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: La-la land!
Posts: 11,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrodeau View Post
How many sons did Abraham have?
Oh here we go. LOL 2
__________________
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2012, 01:00 AM   #1259
Tryharder62
Goodbye Girl!
 
Tryharder62's Avatar
 
Tryharder62 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: La-la land!
Posts: 11,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaticanAssassin View Post
Oh my gosh that was hilarious. I hope everyone takes a look at that. If someone doubts there is a God again I'll tell them they are right because VaticanAssassin showed me a clip of Jean luc Picard and Star Trek Next Generation saying it is so. Then I'll tell them they are welcome to go join him where no man has ever gone before.
__________________
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2012, 01:05 AM   #1260
Loring2
Literotica Guru
 
Loring2 is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Belize
Posts: 1,537
Is there a God?

More specifically does a god named Yahweh or Jehovah exist and does he have a myriad of Angels who do his bidding. There are also such creatures who disagree wirh Jehovah and these are headed up by Satan.

Flatly, I don't know and neither do you but the entire story told in the Hebrew/Greek scriptures is a prophecy and if the prophecy is true then death is, or at least may not be, the end of your life. According to the biblical narrative some small number of humans will be transfigured and become other creatures with immense power, much like Yahweh and a relatively large number will be resurrected and live what amounts to be endless lives on Earth.

Now this is a difficult thing to believe; It's hard to wrap my mind around such concepts even though I would like to believe it. The problem for me both hubris and lack of knowledge. It's difficult to conceive of creatures so superior to humans that they have the ability to create a universe; frightening, that.

In other words if there is a God, he doesn't look like your grandfather wirh a white beard floating around on a cloud and he isn't necessarily your friend just because you heard that in some church.

I just don't know.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2012, 07:27 AM   #1261
fair_warning
Catalyst
 
fair_warning is offline
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: East of the Red Centre
Posts: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryharder62 View Post
Whether you believe in Jesus or the God of the bible no archaeological find has ever contradicted the bible.
And no archaeological find has ever disproved the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Last edited by fair_warning : 09-27-2012 at 07:30 AM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #1262
phrodeau
Literotica Guru
 
phrodeau's Avatar
 
phrodeau is offline
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hobbiton, The Shire (away on business)
Posts: 62,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryharder62 View Post
Oh here we go. LOL 2
According to the Bible, God told Abraham that he only had one.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #1263
tinylittlegnat
aggressive progressive
 
tinylittlegnat's Avatar
 
tinylittlegnat is offline
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Welcome to the plutocracy!
Posts: 8,405
I see no evidence for any god. No evidence no existence.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Nixon View Post
"There are times when abortion is necessary, for example when you have a black and a white or a rape."
[IMG]http://cdn.crooksandliars.com/files/vfs/2011/01/Fox**0Egypt**0graphic.jpg[/IMG]
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #1264
Tryharder62
Goodbye Girl!
 
Tryharder62's Avatar
 
Tryharder62 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: La-la land!
Posts: 11,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrodeau View Post
According to the Bible, God told Abraham that he only had one.
Issaac was Abraham's legitimate son. He would have been the one to claim Abraham's inheritence. In asking him to kill Issaac he was asking him to kill his only legitamate son and heir. We should get Ishmeal in on this one. Is he around?
__________________
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #1265
Tryharder62
Goodbye Girl!
 
Tryharder62's Avatar
 
Tryharder62 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: La-la land!
Posts: 11,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by fair_warning View Post
And no archaeological find has ever disproved the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
My point exactly. As hard as people have tried to discredit the bible over thousands of years that nothing contradicts it is amazing. Even if you don't believe. I'm going to let you worry if there is a Flying Spaghetti Monster.
__________________
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #1266
Tryharder62
Goodbye Girl!
 
Tryharder62's Avatar
 
Tryharder62 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: La-la land!
Posts: 11,084
[quote=Dixon Carter Lee;42092995]I haven't made a claim. You have. The burden of proof is on you. You claim God exists and that after you die he makes waffles for you. Interesting claim. Can you prove what you're claiming?

Prove it.[/QUOTE

I have been told that I made claims. I thought I was just responding to a thread about if I believe there is a God. But this has made me think about what my official claim is:

Official Claim of Tryharder:

I, Tryharder, believe that I have one eternal life. In looking at information, I have made the choice to believe that there is a God. I do not look down on others that use information to make a different choice. We all have our own personal journey to make. (Of course I do worry about my friends and their eternal life but then I am a worrier. I am a work in progress).

I love this quote, and have used it before, but it helps me with that worry. "Christianity is not something to be shoved down your throat and forced on you. You have to live your life and I have to live mine. All I can do is tell you what I have learned and experienced. After that what you do with Christ is up to you."-Josh McDowell

I do want it noted for the record that I did not claim God would make waffles for me after I died. If I die before you I will try to get some kind of message back to let you know if he does do that though. You seem to like that.

Sincerely,
Tryharder
__________________
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #1267
phrodeau
Literotica Guru
 
phrodeau's Avatar
 
phrodeau is offline
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hobbiton, The Shire (away on business)
Posts: 62,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryharder62 View Post
Issaac was Abraham's legitimate son. He would have been the one to claim Abraham's inheritence. In asking him to kill Issaac he was asking him to kill his only legitamate son and heir. We should get Ishmeal in on this one. Is he around?
Legitimate? Sarah was Abraham's half-sister.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #1268
VaticanAssassin
God Mod
 
VaticanAssassin's Avatar
 
VaticanAssassin is offline
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: On the edge of a mountain, in the desert, overlooking the ocean.
Posts: 13,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryharder62 View Post
Oh my gosh that was hilarious. I hope everyone takes a look at that. If someone doubts there is a God again I'll tell them they are right because VaticanAssassin showed me a clip of Jean luc Picard and Star Trek Next Generation saying it is so. Then I'll tell them they are welcome to go join him where no man has ever gone before.
Is that sarcasm? I think that may be sarcasm.......

I thought the clip was funny, that is all. I was not attacking your belief in God. I have no issues with people who believe in a higher power, my issues are with people who believe in religion, or any other organization that tries to control people through fear.........

There may or may not be a god, but fuck anyone who says I have to go to a certain building to find him.


"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion"
__________________
And now for the disclaimer: If you're easily offended, do not read my posts. If you don't think jokes about minorities, gays, politicians, religion, celebrities, athletes, etc. are funny, do not read my posts. If you find cursing distasteful, fucking Do not read my posts. If you read my posts, and then tell me you're offended, then you can go eat a bag of dicks cuz you shoulda heeded my disclaimer

  Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #1269
LiFeNdEaTh
The Usual.
 
LiFeNdEaTh's Avatar
 
LiFeNdEaTh is offline
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: LOVE JESUS & DANCE WIT THE DEVIL
Posts: 21,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryharder62 View Post
My point exactly. As hard as people have tried to discredit the bible over thousands of years that nothing contradicts it is amazing. Even if you don't believe. I'm going to let you worry if there is a Flying Spaghetti Monster.
i got like 2 bibles in my room.. an to be honest, i never read none of them.

i believe in god, an that's what counts. like, i don't need to read a bible to prove people that i believe he's real... ya kno

just like church, why go if you know he's real an you believe in him..ya dig?
__________________

B A N G · B A N G ! ! !
"Life is a choice, and death is a decision"
"Ї Єvёи LооК GоОd Їи A Bяокёй MїґЯоґ"
▀ █░░ █░░ █░█ █▄░▄█ ▀ █▄░█ ▄▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀
█ █░▄ █░▄ █░█ █░█░█ █ █░▀█ █▀█ ░█░ █
▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ░▀░ ▀░░░▀ ▀ ▀░░▀ ▀░▀ ░▀░ ▀

Take risks! If you win, you will be happy, if you lose, you will be wise.
“Sex is kicking death in the ass while singing.” -Charles Bukowski


~Your enemies in reality dont hate u~
~They hate themselves because~
~You are the reflection of everything~
~that they wanna be...~

  Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #1270
Tryharder62
Goodbye Girl!
 
Tryharder62's Avatar
 
Tryharder62 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: La-la land!
Posts: 11,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrodeau View Post
Legitimate? Sarah was Abraham's half-sister.
I don't pretend to justify their kink but Sarah was his wife and therefore Isaac was the recognised heir.
__________________
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #1271
phrodeau
Literotica Guru
 
phrodeau's Avatar
 
phrodeau is offline
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hobbiton, The Shire (away on business)
Posts: 62,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryharder62 View Post
I don't pretend to justify their kink but Sarah was his wife and therefore Isaac was the recognised heir.
God didn't say, "Isaac is your only legitimate son". He said, "Isaac is your only son."
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #1272
Tryharder62
Goodbye Girl!
 
Tryharder62's Avatar
 
Tryharder62 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: La-la land!
Posts: 11,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiFeNdEaTh View Post
i got like 2 bibles in my room.. an to be honest, i never read none of them.

i believe in god, an that's what counts. like, i don't need to read a bible to prove people that i believe he's real... ya kno

just like church, why go if you know he's real an you believe in him..ya dig?
I'd read it with you. It's a really great book even if you choose not to believe. As for going to church... I like to go and listen to my pastor and think more about things, learn . I will have to admit sometimes I just go for donut fellowship.
__________________
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #1273
Berries_n_cream
Really Experienced
 
Berries_n_cream's Avatar
 
Berries_n_cream is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 138
Sorry for the cliché, but thank fucking god I'm an atheist!
__________________
.
I'm serious.
.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #1274
Tryharder62
Goodbye Girl!
 
Tryharder62's Avatar
 
Tryharder62 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: La-la land!
Posts: 11,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaticanAssassin View Post
Is that sarcasm? I think that may be sarcasm.......

I thought the clip was funny, that is all. I was not attacking your belief in God. I have no issues with people who believe in a higher power, my issues are with people who believe in religion, or any other organization that tries to control people through fear.........

There may or may not be a god, but fuck anyone who says I have to go to a certain building to find him.


"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion"
Maybe just a little sarcasm but it was a great clip. For the rest, I'm right there with you brother.
__________________
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #1275
Tryharder62
Goodbye Girl!
 
Tryharder62's Avatar
 
Tryharder62 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: La-la land!
Posts: 11,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berries_n_cream View Post
Sorry for the cliché, but thank fucking god I'm an atheist!
Oh man Berries_n_cream that is the post of the day. So great.
__________________
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:38 AM.

Copyright 1998-2013 Literotica Online. Literotica is a registered trademark.