Chyoo is great..why doesn't it get updated?

I use a wiki for my writing. I write on the wiki and then copy it over to CHYOO. The wiki allows easy branching. In fact, I use a wiki-farm that has one of the better CHYOO-like sites on it as well. http://editthis.info. The other site is http://editthis.info/Choose_Your_Own_Adventure. This is not strictly a X-rated site, but has an adult section in it.

You can get a free wiki here.

I've written a bit over there. Slower than Chyoo to switch pages, I don't think it has ratings, and I can't see any story trees, but it also seems to have no restrictions on content. Harder to see when/if something has been modified, too.

On the subject of saving/creating branching stories isn't there two or three programs out there that do it as well? I was going to try one awhile back but I think I had to re-install my OS before I could use it. I've wondered about using it to pull my favorite chyoo stories from or making my own.
 
Last edited:
It obviously doesn't want me to join, stupid thing logged me out while I was writing then it deleted the whole damn thing that took me an hour to piece together.
 
It obviously doesn't want me to join, stupid thing logged me out while I was writing then it deleted the whole damn thing that took me an hour to piece together.

I've had that happen, but usually I click the back button twice and it takes me to what I was going to post. Then I click submit and all is fine.

That was with Opera, which is ages ahead of all the other browsers when it comes to not reloading absolutely every single thing from scratch. Chrome, for example, loves to bitch about how it now has to reload everything if I want to go back. Ahem, sidetracked by a pet peeve.
 
Yeah well I use Firefox, don't trust IE anymore not with all its security flaws, but yeah it deleted everything... grrr
 
You're logged out after about twenty minutes of (supposed) inactivity. Either keep another tab open and refresh it every once in a while, or use a word processor and copy and paste it when you're done.
 
You're logged out after about twenty minutes of (supposed) inactivity. Either keep another tab open and refresh it every once in a while, or use a word processor and copy and paste it when you're done.

I used to write it in the block provided when you click, "Add New Thread".

Now, I use my word processor, mainly so I have them saved in case they get hacked &/or changed again.

I forget which story it was, but on 1 I read & contribute to often, someone actually suggested writing in a word-processor program first... People must not often, as it amazes me the spelling mistakes you find in threads such a program would certainly catch.
 
As an example of the poor state of the CHYOO, sometimes random stories just vanish. The last one I remember was Population Crisis, a fine story with hundreds of threads. I had some good work in that one.

What? Population Crisis is gone? I've been away too long. This is a sad day indeed :(
 
BTW. This thread is very interesting and all, but we've been over this topic many many times before. Bottom line is that CHYOO is a dying beast and will never be revived by literotica. It's a wonder they haven't taken down our little corner of the Literotica site TBH.

As Twizted said above, someone tried to make a CHYOO alternative (as a completely separate entity to literotica) before. ofhabit I think his name was. Didn't go anywhere, although he did put in a neat feature to copy across your CHYOO stories.

If someone wants to go ahead and have another crack at a new CHYOO, then I'd back them, but let's not kid ourselves and expect Literotica to hand it to us.
 
BTW. This thread is very interesting and all, but we've been over this topic many many times before. Bottom line is that CHYOO is a dying beast and will never be revived by literotica. It's a wonder they haven't taken down our little corner of the Literotica site TBH...

If someone wants to go ahead and have another crack at a new CHYOO, then I'd back them, but let's not kid ourselves and expect Literotica to hand it to us.

True it's not likely they'd revive it, but we don't have to take some of the actions we (as a group, not naming names) have; Wouldn't everyone prefer "fun while it lasted" to borderline suicide?!
 
Wait, how the fuck don;t we know who owns the site? who approved the moderators?

2nd question answers the first... We don't know who owns it, because they know we'd be upset with them. 80,000 (exaggerating, obviously) stories have locked threads, & have had such for quite some time, so whoever was approved have ceased/paused in doing their jobs, or at least in making sure the story editors are doing theirs.

I know I'm far from a favorite person around here, but thinking I might take some time tonight & list all the stories I have found with locked threads (started such a list on the boards not long ago).
 
not a chyoo user, but have ideas.

Okay so I've skimmed the replys of this post; from what I understand no one actually knows who is the actual webmasters, admins, or coders for this site..? If the site is affiliated with Literotica.com in any fashion then they would have to have some form of documentation on all of this information if for nothing more than legal reasons (law suites, taxes). From a outsider looking in I would contact the webmasters of the Literotica site itself; my thinking is this. They may not know who you need to get in touch with but they have the capability of finding out. I can't believe that there is no one on this site that will help you guys out. Now will they give you the coding to their intellectual property (the chyoo website) probably not, but if you can show them a way how to make it worth their while to let you guys take care and update/upgrade the site then they may let you guys do just that. This is where I would start. Also never be scared to contact a webmaster/admin...this is why they are here. I was a admin for 4 years on another website and on a online chat forum program...if you don't come to them with your problems and follow up with them to get your issues resolved nothing happens. :) hope this helps you guys...I'm actually thinking of contacting for you guys to see if you guys get some help. You guys seem like you love your website and are dedicated to your "adventures/stories" I can understand this.
 
Several of us have expressed this to the people we are aware of who have power here. We have received no response thus far.
 
Really?! You're talking to yourself.

You really don't understand this site at all. I am a moderator. I can approve stories, ban authors, and transfer editorship of stories. That's it. Period. I am not an employee of Literotica, I am a volunteer. I cannot change the PHP code, I have no access to the servers or the database. I'm not a developer, I'm a story moderator. Barely more than an author.

Manu is one of the CHYOO owners, but he hasn't been heard from on the CHYOO boards for almost three years (10-Jan-2009).
 
Yes, thousands of unapproved threads, and four moderators, one of whom has been gone for four years. Your responses seem to imply that we should be spending dozens of hours per week combing for threads to approve. I simply don't have that kind of time to spend on a volunteer activity.

Now, your threads that you've mentioned on this forum have been very slow to be approved for a very good reason. In the past, you have been such a complete jerk that I've not felt like doing you any favors. I approve your threads in my stories as they come up, but I'm not going out of my way to help you out. Action! was a story where over a dozen threads were pending from several authors, so rising waters raised all boats. I have been approving more of your threads lately, because you have been somewhat less of a jerk.
 
You have been approving my threads because many writers & editors yourself included) have become less-active, whereas I have maintained my activity & high level of quality.

I also can't help but wonder about editorship & the like when people (including myself) have offered to be editors on stories, including stories where we are already authors of threads, whether they are already approved or threads we know to be awaiting approval. Instead, however, you seem to be taking-up editorship yourself (adding to your own workload), even of stories where you are not an author.

I could deny your claim that I've been any amount of a jerk, or make a snide comment about you being an expert on the subject, but I won't... Instead, let's admit the real reason you haven't approved a lot of the threads I've listed on these boards: To do so is the job of a story's editor, & in many of the cases, you are/were not the editor of the story.

Oh, & way to react to my claim of talking to yourself, posting twice in a row before anyone else says anything else.
 
I came onto this site today to ask that very question. Looks like I got my answer.
It seems simply insane to me that a site with this much potential is just ignored and left to die.
Whats even stranger is how few alternative sites there are, this a golden idea and yet no one seems to be interested.
 
There's no ads on CHYOO, hence no money being generated for Literotica by CHYOO. Therefore it's way on the back burner.
 
A solution

Aside from creating a separate website with a Chyoo-like code structure, we could always create new stories and post links here, then collaborate on them together and save backups of our writing in case of a disaster.

It's not like we have to have full site access to get things moving.
 
Idea

Is there not some cheap legal way to commandeer a website and the code, without it being an issue? Because of inactivity or abandonment ? By the admin or owner, or neglect in a way. That in this case the users could lay claim to the site and sort out finding someone to help spice up or correct the issues?

I mean in land rights squatting has rights so why not the net, I am sure there could be some legal jargon that would or might sort it problem is. Most copyright laws take what like 80 years to burn out? on written copy rights?

Just thought I would throw that out so long as the general post is up,

Rackham
 
Been There

One of the members actually programmed a site a couple of years ago and we migrated a bunch of stories over. He just didn't have the time to really perfect it and lost interest. As far as I can see after nine years on this site is that someone needs to commercialize the site to create enough money to pay for upkeep. So far the current owners don't respond and no one else has the cash to pump into it.

So we work with what we have and enjoy the fact it is free.
 
Back
Top