What's your mood today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheEarl said:
Mine are black. Very boring.

Rora: Hope that's a good drubnk. If not, then enjoy getting away from whatever it is.

The Earl

It's a very good drubnk, believe me. And nothing about you is boring. ;)

Aurora Black said:
It's a very good drubnk, believe me. And nothing about you is boring. ;)

They've got a hole in the heel. Try saying the last five words fast, three times. Into a microphone, so we can all hear it. I feel it might be amusing.

The Earl

TheEarl said:
They've got a hole in the heel. Try saying the last five words fast, three times. Into a microphone, so we can all hear it. I feel it might be amusing.

The Earl

Nope. I'm sobering up already, so it would sound depressingly normal. :p

I've had my soak in the tub, wife's in their now, I'm off to bed to warm up the sheets.... :devil: :devil: :devil:

Night night

matriarch said:
I've had my soak in the tub, wife's in their now, I'm off to bed to warm up the sheets.... :devil: :devil: :devil:

Night night

:rolleyes: and there I was, thinking I was lucky to have a hot water bottle.

Have fun :devil: :kiss:

Manic ...i could run electricity off my moods right now.Though the flashing of the lights as I hit high and low might disturb the people sleeping.

Missing my heroes

When Og was young, many of my father's associates and later the senior staff I knew personally had been active in World War II.

What they did they kept quiet about. Vague hints might be picked up from other people's conversation. The real clues were the medals they wore on Remembrance Day - not the usual ones for everyone in the services but those awarded for exceptional acts.

An elderly neighbour might have an untold story like the builder who had been a major in the Royal Engineers. He was injured on D-Day and back on duty to be injured again while bridge-building across the Rhine. He and his team finished the bridge before he allowed himself to be treated for his injuries.

Then there was my father's friend, a Royal Marine commando, who spent some time in Changi Jail on Singapore Island.

Or my daughter's friend's father, a tank commander on Omaha beach, who landed alone after his tank and crew had sunk beneath him.

Or my office deputy manager who had (woman)manned an Anti-Aircraft gun defending London.

So many people did amazing things in wartime and accepted it as part of normal life. That elderly woman pushing a trolley in a supermarket might have been Rosie the Riveter, or an agent in Occupied Europe, or just a hard working Land Girl.

Few of them are left now. I feel diminished by their passing. They might have said that they had lived through extraordinary times and they did no more than many others did. That is partially true. What is also true is that many of them were ordinary people and after the war all they wanted to do was become ordinary again.

Where are the heroes for the new generation? Those fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan are so few by comparison with the whole nation at war in WWII. Few modern children will ever meet a soldier and really appreciate what that soldier did for them.

I did. I'm glad I did. But I miss them now.

Og

oggbashan said:
When Og was young, many of my father's associates and later the senior staff I knew personally had been active in World War II.

What they did they kept quiet about. Vague hints might be picked up from other people's conversation. The real clues were the medals they wore on Remembrance Day - not the usual ones for everyone in the services but those awarded for exceptional acts.

An elderly neighbour might have an untold story like the builder who had been a major in the Royal Engineers. He was injured on D-Day and back on duty to be injured again while bridge-building across the Rhine. He and his team finished the bridge before he allowed himself to be treated for his injuries.

Then there was my father's friend, a Royal Marine commando, who spent some time in Changi Jail on Singapore Island.

Or my daughter's friend's father, a tank commander on Omaha beach, who landed alone after his tank and crew had sunk beneath him.

Or my office deputy manager who had (woman)manned an Anti-Aircraft gun defending London.

So many people did amazing things in wartime and accepted it as part of normal life. That elderly woman pushing a trolley in a supermarket might have been Rosie the Riveter, or an agent in Occupied Europe, or just a hard working Land Girl.

Few of them are left now. I feel diminished by their passing. They might have said that they had lived through extraordinary times and they did no more than many others did. That is partially true. What is also true is that many of them were ordinary people and after the war all they wanted to do was become ordinary again.

Where are the heroes for the new generation? Those fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan are so few by comparison with the whole nation at war in WWII. Few modern children will ever meet a soldier and really appreciate what that soldier did for them.

Og

I totally agree, I am however lucky, I had many Uncles who served. Two of my favourites have since passed, one is left from WWII and one from the Korean War. I hold the one from WWII pretty high on the Hero scale, did something with his life from coming from nothing. He was kind enough to tell us some of the funny stories when we were kids, like taking his brother out drinking on their day off and ended up hunched over on a stoop holding his head up with his hands rested on his elbows, puking in his sleves! Never speaks of the bad times, Im sure they bring up too many bad memories.
C :rose:

oggbashan said:

Og
I have the same feelings; I'm not too far from your age, I fear. ( ;) :devil: ) When I was younger I worked with a few of those WWII vets - from both sides, interestingly. One fellow served with a Waffen SS division in Russia, and he did not hesitate to tell some rather horrific stories. Another German had been a tank mechanic. A Yank carried a BAR in the Europe in late 1944. He dropped a few hints and told a few anecdotes that indicated that it was no fun at all, and I think he never really got over the PTSS. He was among the troops involved in the taking of Aachen, the first major German city to fall, which caused 5,000 Allied casualties. Stephen Ambrose said of that battle, "It taught Eisenhower and the Allied leadership an important lesson about street fighting - don't do it."

Also interestingly, in the same group were some more recent vets - from Viet Nam. One was a PBR skipper - Patrol Boat, Riverine. This was long before Apocalypse Now made that particular item "cool." He told of using the twin .50 calibers in the bow station to cut down trees in which snipers were thought to be hiding. These Indochina vets are now turning gray, but aren't yet ready to go into that long goodnight, thankfully.

Edited to add: I forgot another guy who was a Korea vet. I can't remember any stories from him though.

Last edited:
kendo1 said:
Workmen coming back? I love the thread. :)

Thanks. I assume they're coming back--they're just not coming back soon enough to suit me.

Honestly, if this man treats the women he dates like he has treated me, he just wants to pray they don't all get together in one place because then they'd compare notes and form a lynch mob. I would plead for his life, of course, because my house is not finished.

I made ti thorugh the day, and now I don't have to get up until Tuesday :D

I wish I had emailed mysefl a story I had been working on at work the other day thoguhk, so that I could work on it over the weekend.

Typos left in because I'm too tiresd to correcthem.?

Good Morning Lovelies :rose:

Today is the day that I get my act together and start working on some serious issues in my life. :cool:

I think . . . :rolleyes:

I send tons of :kiss: 's to whomever is remotely interested. I'm in a kissy mood . . .

Nirvanadragones said:
Good Morning Lovelies :rose:

Today is the day that I get my act together and start working on some serious issues in my life. :cool:

I think . . . :rolleyes:

Good morning to you, sweets. I wish you good fortune and harmony in whatever it is you have to deal with. :kiss:

nirvanadragones said:
I send tons of :kiss: 's to whomever is remotely interested. I'm in a kissy mood . . .

Ooohhh........me, me, me, me..................... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back