Male vs Female writers

male writer - last two stories were from female perspective

I'm a male writer, whose first several stories were written from the guy's perspective.

My last two have been first-person narratives told by the young female characters. I think it worked really quite nicely in "Memories of Ben", and a little less well in "Lara and Evan"...

https://www.literotica.com/stories/memberpage.php?uid=2303963&page=submissions

In both cases, I simply didn't find the male character's perspective very interesting.

In fact... in Memories of Ben - I wrote a good full draft from Ben's perspective... sat on it for a while.. knowing something was wrong with it.

Finally decided to try over - writing from the young female character's perspective - and it was at that point... writing it that way... that emotion and depth and "oomph" finally came to the story.

I don't know... not sure that it's true to say that a story written from either perspective is more interesting than the other... it depends on the story...

What I do find interesting about writing erotica... is that it NEVER seems right, being written in the 3rd person. At least not for me.
 
I'm sure I've read both genders at this point on here, but I'm never thinking about the gender of the writer.

One of the biggest romance writers ever turned out to be a man writing under a feminine pseudonym. It happens.

It's more fun to read by random kink, than to read by gender of author in my opinion.
 
It makes no difference to me, and I don't pay much attention to the gender of the author. I've written stories from both points of view, and in both first person and third person. I have a slight preference for stories from a female point of view, but I've read plenty of good stories from that point of view that were written by male authors (as far as I know).

Re Spinninwheel's comment on third person -- that's interesting. I have a mild preference for third person because it's more flexible. An author can do more in third person. Also, I think I've shied away from writing a first-person POV story from the woman's perspective. I'm more comfortable narrating the woman's perspective in third person, for some reason.
 
I have written from 1st unreliable POVs and 3rd limited POVs of straight, bi, and kinky females and males, any of which may be partly me and partly someone I think I know, or maybe I invent.

I keep threatening to write from an inanimate POV, like a bed or mirror or dildo telling its slimy history. I haven't yet tried an alien POV, which can be of many genders, and may have a hobby of raising humans, like Heinlein's Star Beast. Some may contain several separate brains and genders in one body -- it can wage multisexual arguments with itself. That could be fun. Especially in LW. Is the player an alien hominid or a schizo human?

I've also not yet taken the SF approach of easy human body transformation. Be one mix of gender, race, and size one week, another mix the next, depending on your mood. Or hop between hive-minds of arbitrary gender.

We can be anything online. Sometimes I'm a coffee pot.
 
I write (and have written for two decades) in multiple accounts here focusing on multiple gender authors/POVs and genres and in the marketplace as well, and the only time someone picked up on author gender that I'm aware of has been after I spoke at a book festival in the name a female (light lesbian) author's works and then someone after that posted to that author's Amazon profile that she would never have guessed the author was male.

So, I'll just add that to the truism here that you have no guarantee on the actual gender of a Literotica author based on their account name or what they claim to be in their profile, so you have no reliable premise to operate on in declaring you prefer one gender author or another here on Literotica. My best-rated account file here is nonerotic in a female's name.
 
I think the average female perspective story on Lit is going to be more interesting to a reader of either gender than the average male perspective, solely because of the typical plots here.

In general I find that stories that focus on the perspective of the person that stuff is happening to are more interesting to read, and that tends to be the "submissive" in erotica, and typically the woman for most stories here.

It's a lot easier to have suspense, tension, reader sympathy, and a big range of emotions and feelings when the focus character is the victim of all the turns and twists in the plot, not the one seemingly in control of everything. The drama gets built in as they react to whatever the story throws at them and the reader tends to root for them as the underdog.

This is a generalization, and I've read some great stories here with male, dominant viewpoints, but I believe they are a lot harder to pull off for most writers. A lot of the generic male viewpoint stories tend to be omnipotent, wealthy, attractive, and smart men that have their way with women, and frankly are boring. That same boring storyline told from a woman's viewpoint, however, is naturally more interesting as the hapless heroine struggles to resist the domineering man pursuing them or controlling them.

Please don't take this as a slam on male perspective stories, there are tons of good ones here, I'm just pointing out the average ones tend to be less drama filled than an average female perspective one. I could totally see readers preferring female voice stories regardless of author gender or their own gender.
 
The gender of the author telling the story from whatever point of view is immaterial. A good story is a good story no matter who is telling it if can hold my interest. The bottom line is always going to be opinion based.

It’s not mentioned here, but I like transgender stories told from a transgender perspective. That’s my opinion; however, those aren’t the only stories I read. Writing quality or character POV based on the gender of the author sounds pretty biased if what someone is looking for is defined only as a “good story”.

🌹Kant👠👠👠
 
Last edited:
And you have no idea of the actual (if any) gender or species of the authors, only guesses. Oy.

I guess I should have added I don’t really care about author gender, but my post was solely about why I think a casual reader might prefer female voice stories.
 
I guess I should have added I don’t really care about author gender, but my post was solely about why I think a casual reader might prefer female voice stories.

So, I guess gay male readers can't have casual days. :rolleyes:
 
It's a lot easier to have suspense, tension, reader sympathy, and a big range of emotions and feelings when the focus character is the victim of all the turns and twists in the plot, not the one seemingly in control of everything. The drama gets built in as they react to whatever the story throws at them and the reader tends to root for them as the underdog.

This is a generalization, and I've read some great stories here with male, dominant viewpoints, but I believe they are a lot harder to pull off for most writers. A lot of the generic male viewpoint stories tend to be omnipotent, wealthy, attractive, and smart men that have their way with women, and frankly are boring. That same boring storyline told from a woman's viewpoint, however, is naturally more interesting as the hapless heroine struggles to resist the domineering man pursuing them or controlling them.

How about a victimised guy in girls school who at some point sort of could pick and fuck whomever he see, but still have very little control? (That's something I'm trying to write, lol.)

The typical "omnipotent, wealthy, attractive, and smart men" is a power fantasy the author enjoy in par of a dream while writing, and there might easily be a sizable group of readers happy to tag along in exact same mode.

Nothing wrong with personal preference for whatever gender/power/plot combination you prefer, but the trouble with generalisations is that we each tend to generalise assuming ourselves to represent the 'norm' or at least majority, however that is generally wrong frame of reference. Rather think about your specific views as absolutely unique (as they most probably are, examined in enough depth and detail) and you will be both closer to the truth and more tolerant to others.

The generalisation of generalisations is that generally, generalisations are wrong.
 
Oh, please tell me you're referencing Dan ("Marilyn") Ross! Such a phenomenal Gothic writer. :D

Could be... I don't remember the name. I just remember some older dude, smiling proudly, holding up pictures of romance books. They were full on heaving bosoms and pectorals covered with long flowing locks of barbarian hair too.
 
How about a victimised guy in girls school who at some point sort of could pick and fuck whomever he see, but still have very little control? (That's something I'm trying to write, lol.)

The typical "omnipotent, wealthy, attractive, and smart men" is a power fantasy the author enjoy in par of a dream while writing, and there might easily be a sizable group of readers happy to tag along in exact same mode.

Nothing wrong with personal preference for whatever gender/power/plot combination you prefer, but the trouble with generalisations is that we each tend to generalise assuming ourselves to represent the 'norm' or at least majority, however that is generally wrong frame of reference. Rather think about your specific views as absolutely unique (as they most probably are, examined in enough depth and detail) and you will be both closer to the truth and more tolerant to others.

The generalisation of generalisations is that generally, generalisations are wrong.

Generally I agree!

You are right, rereading my post which I tried to caveat, it is too generalized.

I can safely say I personally prefer reading stories where the main character, male or female, undergoes trials and tribulations from the plot as I tend to like to root for them and enjoy some suspense.

Its overstepping to say that others do as well, and not really relevant to OP's original question which was about the gender of the author, not the voice or perspective of the story.
 
gender doesn't matter on the writing skill.

What matters is the persons actual experience and knowledge. That's what you might be feeling when you read stories. An experience/knowledge level.

Ive read many first time stories, people with say 2 or 3 stories, and get a weird vibe from the writing. And then ill go back and ill smack my head and realize

"wow, this person has to be a virgin because they have no idea of how to unhook a bra or find her clit"

or

"dumbass has no idea of how a sword is made, sharpened, worn, or used."

or

"what dumbass actually thinks that a 90 pound, 4 foot tall woman can walk around shooting people with a belt fed machine gun that weighs more then she does"?
 
Or, indeed, "what dumbass actually thinks that a 90 pound, 4 foot tall woman can walk around shooting - and I don't care what size her futanari cock is - an eruption of cum more voluminal than she is"?

According to NYT Opinion, "If you gave up your smartphone for a year, you would have time to make love about 16,000 times". Now there's an idea for a story...
 
Or, indeed, "what dumbass actually thinks that a 90 pound, 4 foot tall woman can walk around shooting - and I don't care what size her futanari cock is - an eruption of cum more voluminal than she is"?

According to NYT Opinion, "If you gave up your smartphone for a year, you would have time to make love about 16,000 times". Now there's an idea for a story...

That’s just the start of bad futanari erotica too... “she slung her giant girl cock over shoulder...”
 
I like to tie myself to the railings and leap off the bridge, the gradual stretching of my long futa cock as I fall into the gorge an exquisite torment that ends in a mind-shattering climax... and since my cum cannot escape, it fills my cock until I am sure it will burst - and oh! What joy it is, that final release, as I drown the world in creamy ecstasy...
 
Back
Top