What Is Virtuosity?

NOIRTRASH

Literotica Guru
http://www.lucreid.com/?p=2736

In a nutshell, virtuosity is technically flawless writing and enchanting to experience. Its like GOD did it.

But I cant find any examples of it suggested by anyone. Any recommendations?

Patrick O'Brian comes to mind. His command of language is spectacular and his word choices are nuanced and pitch perfect.

I imagine that the level of enchantment of a particular experience will vary between individuals. Where you find "virtuosity," others may find nothing but tedium and banality. And vice versa.

Difficult, very difficult. One person's sublime is another's ridiculous.

A few souls nominate James Joyce for Virtuoso, and I don't get it. At best virtuosity punctuates his prose like wild paint and shiny shit decorates crappy cars and cheaper girls.

Naaah. Readers and writers are different animals. Readers are consumers, and writers are constructors.

I imagine that the level of enchantment of a particular experience will vary between individuals. Where you find "virtuosity," others may find nothing but tedium and banality. And vice versa.

College students now demand the end of grades and tests, because no one has a right to judge them. I call it AND A CHILD SHALL LEAD THEM stratagem.

College students now demand the end of grades and tests, because no one has a right to judge them. I call it AND A CHILD SHALL LEAD THEM stratagem.

College students now demand A's for effort rather than for proficiency. I roll my eyes as I think one of them might be aiming a scalpel at my body on an operating room table sometime in the future. No. Just, no.

College students now demand A's for effort rather than for proficiency. I roll my eyes as I think one of them might be aiming a scalpel at my body on an operating room table sometime in the future. No. Just, no.

We are in the calm before the storm that changes everything.

We are in the calm before the storm that changes everything.

I doubt that will happen.

I was initially confused by what you wanted in this thread. There's virtuosity in the sense of being very good at what you do, then there's virtuosity in the sense of being morally good. Saints are virtuous folk. But people who are very good at what they do are also virtuosos (Boccherini, Paganini. Ravi Shankar come to mind.) I suspect that you intend the latter definition.

I also suspect an historical link between those uses.

I doubt that will happen.

I was initially confused by what you wanted in this thread. There's virtuosity in the sense of being very good at what you do, then there's virtuosity in the sense of being morally good. Saints are virtuous folk. But people who are very good at what they do are also virtuosos (Boccherini, Paganini. Ravi Shankar come to mind.) I suspect that you intend the latter definition.

I also suspect an historical link between those uses.

I mean flawless performance with an enchanting effect on readers. I collect such stories. Theyre usually part of anthologies compiled by seasoned masters. Artur Rubenstein usta say practice was imperative because his performance went to hell if he missed one of practice.

It's like wine, beer, or art. As someone else said, I don't know what's good or great, I only know what I like.

Back