What stat do you care about most on your stories?

What Stat do you care about most on your stories?

  • Views

    Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Votes

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Score

    Votes: 6 11.8%
  • comments

    Votes: 18 35.3%
  • Times favorited

    Votes: 4 7.8%
  • None at all, all I care about is I wrote it and someone is reading it

    Votes: 16 31.4%

  • Total voters
    51

lovecraft68

Bad Doggie
Joined
Jul 13, 2009
Posts
42,028
Pretty straight forward, I think I covered all the options.
 
Last edited:
As I see it, the function of the other things is to draw in more readers. If I post in a low-voting, low-commenting, low-favorites category and still get a lot of reads, I'm happy.
 
Great thread.

For me it's; votes, views, favorites, score, and comments.

The reason is because votes mean that people have made it to the end. Views means a lot of people have clicked on it. Favs mean they want to read it again or they liked it enough to put it on their list.

A great score is always nice, but you've got to understand that certain topics turn people off and they give it a low score regardless. I've seen some great stories on here with low scores, just because of the subject matter.

Comments always nice, but to me, a favorite is as good as a comment. I have a couple stories that have 80+ favs but only a few brief comments. That ratio doesn't bother me at all. As long as people are reading.
 
I like comments. Positive ones, Negative Ones, and of course the best the actual critical review one. (The singular is intentional :) )

Of course times favorited comes in a very close second for me.
 
If I'm honest I'll go with score, for what that's worth. I enjoy knowing readers like my story enough to take the effort to give it a decent rating. Having said that, in LW the comments are what it's all about.
 
I went with none at all, I'll just be happy if someone reads it. If they like it great, if they don't that's fine to.
 
Here--I enjoy seeing the stats, but I'm happy to have the chance to share my stories.

On Amazon--I care about how many books I've sold, reviews I have, and what my amazon rank is.
 
I care most that someone's reading them and hopefully enjoying themselves thoroughly. What I hate most is if someone comments and points out mistakes I've missed - I don't hate them, I hate the fact that mistakes have slipped by me.
 
I'll admit it. I'm shallow. I go with score first, comments second, and views third. Those three are all tightly bunched together. Number of votes trails by a wide margin.
 
I like comments. Positive ones, Negative Ones, and of course the best the actual critical review one. (The singular is intentional :) )

Of course times favorited comes in a very close second for me.

I'm not good with numbers- they're meaningless to me. I want the comments. I'm here to learn. When I left school I was basically illiterate. It has been a struggle since to be able to write what I mean on paper. I continue to be determined. It has been my mission. It always disappoints that there are so few helpful comments. I have found there are more if I enter the competitions. The biggest thing has been that most of my submissions have been highly original in their content and their presentation. Once there was a problem with a submission in that it was repeated. I got a lot of criticism for that! That was the only story of mine I have voted on and I gave it a duck egg- a big, fat zero. I wanted it off the screen and hoped it would fall off. It stayed though- much to my embarrassment.
 
  • Views - Naaah. Not worth a damn unless it's a figure worth bragging about.

  • Votes - Unless it's high enough...naaah.

  • Score - Same as above.

  • Comments - To an extent, yes. Most are useless, but some are definitely stand out from the rest.

  • Times favorite - Most of those douchebags don't comment or vote. At all. I reciprocate their feelings by not caring about it.

  • None at all, all I care about is I wrote it and someone is reading it - Interesting POV. But how do I know of someone is reading it, skimming through it or just clicked my story by mistake.

    I don't know if I'm reading it to an empty hall or a roomful of audience. I like an audience, but a slightly responsive crowd is better for me.


For me, most of the above stats lose their sheen once a story has passed its 2 month mark. I salvage what I've learnt and move onto the next project. A highly articulate constructive criticism is greatly appreciated. The rest of it are like Christmas decorations.
 
I'd like to know how Views are calculated. I suspect the algorithm is counting page hits and therefore only loosely related to actual reads. The number seems too high to be counting individual reads.
 
I like comments. I'm a comment whore.

Even if they're negative or crazy, at least I know someone engaged enough to say something, and that's all right with me.

And I love the people with all the plot advice. I even take some of it on rare occasions.
 
I like it when people comment that they enjoyed my story.

There are two kinds of favorites. Some readers have a list of favorites a mile long. Making their list is nice, but not that special. Other readers are more sparing in who they give their hearts to. When I end up on a short list, it means more to me. It means I've somehow distinguished myself from the zillions of other authors, at least in one reader's mind.
 
There are two kinds of favorites. Some readers have a list of favorites a mile long. Making their list is nice, but not that special. Other readers are more sparing in who they give their hearts to. When I end up on a short list, it means more to me. It means I've somehow distinguished myself from the zillions of other authors, at least in one reader's mind.

This is a great point, I feel the same way. When the list of favorite authors is so long its easier to say who is not on it, it is meaningless.

But the other day I was added to the list of someone who has been here since 2010 and only has eight other people on the list, so that was flattering.
 
I would have to say comments for me, though times favorited is a closed second.

It really makes me feel good that they took the time to post a comment and gives me an insight into what draws them to my writing. Even the constructive criticism is good, because it helps me grow as a writer.
 
I'd like to know how Views are calculated. I suspect the algorithm is counting page hits and therefore only loosely related to actual reads. The number seems too high to be counting individual reads.

If you click the link, it's a view whether you read it or not. Only the first page counts as a view.
 
They're all good, but comments most of all. Every comment is unique (well, except for the LW haters I guess ;-) and it means I made enough of a connection for somebody to take the time to write a response.
 
Comments

...but with an explanation.

I really get a kick out of seeing my readers argue/debate/speculate about what my characters will do next. To me, there is no greater reward than to see that they've bought in to my tale.
 
It's a tie.

For me it would have to be a tie between comments and vote score I enjoy reading how people react to my story both negative and positively. But I have to admit I think I am OCD when it comes to my vote scores checking them once or twice a day.
 
About 8500. The number of people who got through to the 20th chapter of my only submission so far - a 20 chapter 130,000 word novella.

I didn't realize until later that posting in a different category could radically increase readership, but I was pretty happy with that, as a newbie with no reputation.
 
Comments are the ones that stick with you. If there's a new comment I go read what it says. The numbers are always there, so it seems less important to keep a watchful eye on them. But every now and then, if I look at the numbers, I guess a good score is what I hope to see. For longer stories, the view count on the later chapters can be a good indication of things as well.
 
If you click the link, it's a view whether you read it or not. Only the first page counts as a view.

Since I posted my first story, I have collected data on all of them. I like data and it can all an interesting story. I collect for the first five days of posting (that pretty well tells you if you are appealing to the audience). After that I collect the data every month. Over time, you can see which stories have staying power and which ones don't. I didn't realize until TxRad posted this above that the view is first page clicks only. It would be interesting to have both a first and last page click number. At least you could estimate how many people actually read it from front to back. Regardless, the number of votes is very small compared to the views and comments are much less than the votes. I read that to mean that many people read but don't or won't take the time to provide any feedback. Not the best of all worlds but it is what it is and you work with what you have to work with. I agree on the comments about the trolls and what appear to be robots. When you post a forty or fifty page novel and two hours after it is posted you get a scathing negative comment, that means that some illiterate has too much time on his hands.
 
Back
Top