Science! "Hyperadaptationalist"

Its a time-saver. Like stomach growls.

Stomach growls don't actually indicate hunger, though we associate it with that. It's just the sound an empty stomach makes. Same way that a full dryer makes not so much sound but a dryer with a sneaker in it bangs around.

Why do you think there has to be an evolutionary advantage to blushing?

Conditions like blushing are simply consequences of biology. Some of those consequences give an advantage and some don't.

Right, that's exactly my point. I love the word "hyperadaptationalist" because it explains the behavior of trying to make each and every bit of genetic evolutionary selection look as though it were adaptive, when in fact there are many aspects that are maladaptive or neutral or mechanical.

It's interesting to consider why it might be there at all, but I think some folks get obsessive about finding and/or accepting an adaptational argument when it's really only speculation.

I tend to agree with the idea that blushing itself may not convey an evolutionary advantage, but is potentially something that comes along for the ride with something that is advantageous (blushing as a side effect of an adrenaline rush, for example).

However, there are others who have thought about this a lot more than I have that suggest there is an advantage to showing others when one is embarrassed.

I tend to agree with the idea that blushing itself may not convey an evolutionary advantage, but is potentially something that comes along for the ride with something that is advantageous (blushing as a side effect of an adrenaline rush, for example).

However, there are others who have thought about this a lot more than I have that suggest there is an advantage to showing others when one is embarrassed.

Wow...is that not science...

No controls, no swapping of gender. A woman blushing is an entirely different thing than a man blushing...

This is the kinda stuff I'd label bullshit. Interesting concept but tested all wrong in a manner that's intended to prove something but doesn't manage to meet the criteria of actually testing it responsibly. I had to read it twice to make sure. They only tested one gender's response to one circumstance. Baaaaad study, baaaaad science.

But thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Back